Roger Ailes is dead

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Roger Ailes is dead

Post by Civil War Man »

NYT
Roger Ailes, who shaped the images that helped elect three Republican presidents and then became a dominant, often-intimidating force in American conservative politics at the helm of Fox News, which he created with Rupert Murdoch’s money and guided for two decades until he was forced out in a sexual predation scandal, died on Thursday. He was 77.

No cause of death was given in an announcement by Mr. Ailes’s wife, Elizabeth, but he was a hemophiliac long plagued by obesity and arthritis.

“I am profoundly sad and heartbroken to report that my husband, Roger Ailes, passed away this morning,” Ms. Ailes wrote in the statement. “Roger was a loving husband to me, to his son Zachary, and a loyal friend to many.”

“Fair and balanced” was Mr. Ailes’s defining phrase for Fox News, along with another slogan: “We report. You decide.” Though routinely mocked by liberal critics, who regarded the network as decidedly unfair and imbalanced, those words amounted to an article of faith for Mr. Ailes. “If we look conservative,” he said, “it’s because the other guys are so far to the left.” In his mordant humor, CNN stood for Clinton News Network and CBS for Communist Broadcasting System. What Fox News did, he said, was apply a necessary corrective.
Continue reading the main story

From its debut on Oct. 7, 1996, the network under his tutelage did its share of straightforward reporting but also unmistakably filtered major news stories through a conservative lens. Evening programming, which embodied the Fox News brand, was dominated by right-wing commentators like Bill O’Reilly and Sean Hannity, who hurled opinions and vented resentments with a pugnacity that reflected their boss’s own combative manner.

As the network’s chairman and chief executive, Mr. Ailes was widely feared, particularly by conservative politicians who sought his favor. He cultivated a swaggering persona, accentuated by bursts of obscenity-laced anger. Once, he became so enraged that he punched a hole in the wall of a control room.

“I don’t ignore anything,” he acknowledged in a 2003 New Yorker profile. “Somebody gets in my face, I get in their face.” Years earlier, Lee Atwater, whose take-no-prisoners approach to politics matched that of Mr. Ailes when they worked together on George H.W. Bush’s 1988 presidential campaign, described his colleague as having “two speeds: attack and destroy.”

Both speeds were evident at the Ailes-run Fox News. For loyal viewers, it was the go-to network to hear repeatedly about the moral failings of Bill and Hillary Clinton, questions about Barack Obama’s birthplace, doubts about the patriotism of American Muslims, grumblings about the war ostensibly being waged on Christmas and warnings about “death panels” that would supposedly flourish under the Affordable Care Act, known as Obamacare. After the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, Fox News embraced the American flag as if it were its own, and was then an uninhibited booster of the Iraq War and an unabashed critic of those who opposed it.

The network also made itself a haven for Republicans who had fallen from political grace and hoped to restart their careers, among them Newt Gingrich, Mike Huckabee, John Kasich, Sarah Palin and Rick Santorum. On Mr. Hannity’s show, it was effectively a public-relations vehicle for one presidential candidate who made it to the top: Donald J. Trump.

Even more than he embraced political combat, Mr. Ailes keenly understood television and its reliance on attention-grabbing flourishes. He learned the medium’s emotional impact in the 1960s as the young producer of “The Mike Douglas Show,” a syndicated daytime variety program. To hold people’s interest, “you have to be punchy and graphic in your conversation,” he wrote in a 1988 book, “You Are the Message.”

He put that instinct to effective use, and to personal profit, after he left the Douglas show in 1968 to devote himself to political stagecraft. Across more than two decades, he devised media strategies for several dozen political campaigns, including the winning presidential candidacies of Richard M. Nixon in 1968, Ronald Reagan in 1984 and Mr. Bush in 1988. In 2016, he informally advised the triumphant Trump campaign.

At Mr. Ailes’s Fox, the news was delivered with eye-catching graphics and whooshing sound effects. Female broadcasters tended to be attractive blondes encouraged to show more than a little leg. “Look, there’s a certain element of the melding with show business or entertainment,” he told Broadcasting & Cable magazine in 2003. “Entertainment and news should always be separate, but you should walk right up to the line and get your toe on it.”

His methods served the network well. In January 2002, barely five years after its birth, Fox passed the well-established CNN as the most-watched cable news network. It stayed No. 1, reinforcing Mr. Ailes’s political influence. Power made him anxious about his personal safety. Convinced that enemies like Al Qaeda had him in their cross hairs, he installed elaborate security measures at work and at home.

At the end of his tenure, the network had an average daily viewership of 2 million, more than CNN and the left-leaning MSNBC combined. Its audience skewed white, male and old, the median age approaching 70. But they were passionate viewers. Their fidelity produced billion-dollar profits and made Fox News an indispensable component of the Murdoch empire, 21st Century Fox.

Although an Ailes admirer, Mr. Murdoch reluctantly concluded in the summer of 2016 that his news chief had to go after a former network anchor, Gretchen Carlson, brought a lawsuit charging Mr. Ailes with sexual harassment. Her action set in motion a cascade of allegations from women who reported unwanted groping and demands for sex by him, along with what some of them described as an overall culture of misogyny. The scandal enveloped the network’s top star, Bill O’Reilly, whose employment at Fox News was abruptly ended last month.

Mr. O’Reilly denied the charges of sexual impropriety, as did Mr. Ailes. But he was finished at Fox, and walked away with a payout reportedly worth $40 million.

Those were not the first accusations of their kind. They went back at least to the early 1990s, when Mr. Ailes returned to television full time.
Going to post this here before Flagg does
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Roger Ailes is dead

Post by Thanas »

Good.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I'm not one for celebrating the deaths of others, however horrible. And I imagine he probably had some people who cared for him, who deserve sympathy.

But I do think that it is fitting that he ended his life in disgrace.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Good riddance. [/Communist Broadcasting System]
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

I hope he bled out.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I'm glad he lived at least long enough to be pushed out of Fox News in disgrace over his behavior, although he still got to enjoy the vast wealth he'd accumulated over the years from it.

I remember reading a profile about his early years in TV. As soon as he had an ounce of power within the company he was working for, he was using it to prey upon women looking for jobs and opportunity there, ranging from sexual harassment to essentially extorting them for sex. And he went on to do that for decades wherever he worked. Just an awful human being both professionally and personally.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Good. Now pitch the corpse into a drainage ditch and leave it for the scavengers.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

I've been taught to only speak good of the dead. Roger Ailes is dead. Good. :razz:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

This couldn't have happened 20 years ago?
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Flagg wrote:This couldn't have happened 20 years ago?
Perhaps the sight of President Trump made him feel as though his life's work was complete, and he could just let go.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Gandalf wrote:
Flagg wrote:This couldn't have happened 20 years ago?
Perhaps the sight of President Trump made him feel as though his life's work was complete, and he could just let go.
When you think about it, Fox News has probably done more than any other single organization or force to create the present political climate in America.

So as he goes on his way to whatever afterlife awaits him, I suppose Ailes can pride himself on the fact that he's arguably done more to undermine American democracy than any single individual since Robert E. Lee.

Edit: Well, if you count just Americans, anyway. For foreigners, I'd say Vlad probably takes the prize.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Me, I disagree, I say John C. Calhoun.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Simon_Jester wrote:Me, I disagree, I say John C. Calhoun.
Hearst and Pulitzer put the USA into a war with the assistance of William McKinley (may the earth be very heavy on him).
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Given the size of the war in question, I'm honestly not sure they compare to Ailes (or, on the political front, Calhoun) for the sheer magnitude of gratuitous destruction of the social fabric of the republic.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Simon_Jester wrote:Me, I disagree, I say John C. Calhoun.
I said since Robert E. Lee, so Calhoun squeaks in there. :)

Though, I'm not sure who I'd say is the bigger evil: Ailes, Murdoch himself, or the Donald.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Simon_Jester wrote:Given the size of the war in question, I'm honestly not sure they compare to Ailes (or, on the political front, Calhoun) for the sheer magnitude of gratuitous destruction of the social fabric of the republic.

Well, the war those three started caused over four decades of colonial oppression, plenty of genocidal actions (like in American Samoa) and has repercussions that are felt to this day (philippines and cuba and the damage done to their economies and society).

It also turned the US from an isolationist nation into an imperialist one.
------------
------------
My LPs
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I'm not going to argue the first point, but I'm not sure about the second. That was hardly the first unnecessary expansionist war the US fought, even if you don't count wars against First Nations peoples. And you should.

The US has never been a consistently isolationist nation, or at least not beyond its very early years.

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Thanas wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:Given the size of the war in question, I'm honestly not sure they compare to Ailes (or, on the political front, Calhoun) for the sheer magnitude of gratuitous destruction of the social fabric of the republic.

Well, the war those three started caused over four decades of colonial oppression, plenty of genocidal actions (like in American Samoa) and has repercussions that are felt to this day (philippines and cuba and the damage done to their economies and society).

We invaded Canada in the war of 1812, basically stole Mexico from the Rio Grande north to Canada. But yeah, we didn't hit the big time until we went to war with Spain.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Flagg wrote:
Thanas wrote:

We invaded Canada in the war of 1812, basically stole Mexico from the Rio Grande north to Canada. But yeah, we didn't hit the big time until we went to war with Spain.
Well Mexico and Canada has just stolen the land from the Native Americans, so it was more along the lines of robbers fighting over which one got the biggest chunk of the loot.

You could also go back further to the American Revolution, where part of it was over the God-given American right to push west and steal more native land.

European colonies have generally been imperialist with moments of isolation rather than the other way around IMO
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I should have clarified and said "imperialistic as in holding oceanic possessions and defeating a great power".
------------
------------
My LPs