FBI raids Republican consultant firm

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

FBI raids Republican consultant firm

Post by FaxModem1 »

The Baltimore Sun
FBI raids office of Republican campaign consultant in Annapolis

The F.B.I. are on the scene investigating an Annapolis political fundraising firm, Strategic Campaign Group.
Michael Dresser
The Baltimore Sun
The FBI raided a Republican campaign consultant's Annapolis office Thursday, leading Maryland Republican lawmakers to say they won't work with the firm.

Kelley Rogers, president of Strategic Campaign Group, said a half-dozen FBI agents arrived at his Main Street office at about 8:30 a.m. with a warrant to search and seize records.

An FBI spokeswoman confirmed the agency conducted "law enforcement activity" along Main Street in Annapolis but would not be more specific.

Agents on the scene, dressed in plainclothes, confirmed they were with the FBI but referred all other questions to a spokeswoman. They left the building shortly after 4 p.m., carrying files and a computer with them.

Rogers, whose firm has worked with campaign committees for Maryland Senate and House of Delegates candidates, said the FBI investigation concerns work the firm performed during the 2013 Virginia gubernatorial campaign of former Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli, a Republican.

FBI raids office of Republican campaign consultant in Annapolis
FBI raids office of Republican campaign consultant in Annapolis. (Ulysses Muñoz / Baltimore Sun)
Rogers said the investigation did not involve Maryland politics and insisted his firm had done nothing wrong, but said he would release clients from their contracts if desired.

Maryland Republicans quickly distanced themselves from the firm.

Both Senate Minority Leader J.B. Jennings, of Baltimore County, and House Minority Leader Nic Kipke, of Anne Arundel County, said their committees will not use the firm again until its legal issues are resolved.

F.B.I. investigate Annapolis political group
The F.B.I. are on the scene investigating an Annapolis political fundraising firm, Strategic Campaign Group. (Joshua McKerrow, Matthew Cole)
They confirmed that campaign committees for GOP senators and delegates had hired the firm to raise money and do other work before the 2017 session.

"I'm shocked by what has come to light today and we will not be working with them on any new projects until the legal process is completed and they are cleared," Kipke said a few hours after the raid.

Kipke's campaign committee was one of the firm's best customers, having spent more than $30,000 on their services since 2014, according to state campaign finance records.

Jennings said the company did satisfactory work last year but added that GOP senators haven't been in touch with the firm since the session ended last month.

"I think, should we hire a company, we would look elsewhere," he said.

The firm also worked with Maryland lawmakers running for federal seats. Del. Patrick L. McDonough, a Baltimore County Republican, employed the firm in his campaign for the U.S. House of Representatives last year. Strategic Campaign Group also worked to support Del. Kathy Szeliga as the Baltimore County Republican ran for U.S. Senate.

According to Rogers, his firm settled a civil suit brought by the Cuccinelli campaign after the candidate lost the 2013 Virginia governor's race to Democrat Terry McAuliffe. Rogers said the investigation appears to stem from allegations brought in that suit.

The Cuccinelli suit alleged that Strategic Campaign Group and the associated Conservative Strike Force Political Action Committee — an independent group not affiliated with the candidate — raised about $2.2 million by assuring donors it would spend that money to help elect the GOP candidate. But the suit alleged the PAC and Strategic Campaign Group failed to follow through on promises of an extensive media campaign on Cuccinelli's behalf.

In the suit, Cuccinelli accused the firm of false advertising, breach of contract and unauthorized use of his name and image.

Rogers said his firm settled the dispute for what he recalls as $75,000. Press accounts put the amount at $85,000.

He insisted Thursday that the Cuccinelli campaign's claims have no merit. He said his firm raised about $300,000 for the PAC to spend on the governor's race. Of that amount, $10,000 was donated to Cuccinelli's campaign. He said the PAC, which he controlled, conducted an email campaign on behalf of Cuccinelli but was unable to raise enough money for direct mail or broadcast campaigns.

"I feel like we did everything in our power," Rogers said. "Had he been a better candidate, I think we could have done better."

Rogers and firm vice president Chip O'Neil spoke to reporters Thursday while FBI agents still were working in their office. Both spoke without lawyers present.

Cuccinelli said in a statement that he had not spoken to federal law enforcement officials about the consulting firm but is "curious" to see where the case goes.

"It was my hope when we brought our lawsuit to cast light on the dark practices of scam PACs. I think we did that successfully," Cuccinelli said. "Any cleaning up of these practices would be good for our political system."

Rogers praised the professionalism of the FBI agents and predicted the investigation would clear his name and that of the firm.

"The truth shall set you free," he said. "I think it was frivolous then. I think it was frivolous now."

Rogers said agents arrived without notice and presented a search warrant. He said they took records and downloaded other information from the firm's computers.

FBI spokeswoman Lindsay Ram said the investigation is being conducted through the bureau's Washington field office, which has jurisdiction in the District of Columbia and Northern Virginia. She said agents from the office sometimes cross over into other jurisdictions when the entity they are investigating has offices in multiple locations. She declined to provide more details.

Baltimore Sun Media Group reporters Amanda Yeager and John McNamara and the Associated Press contributed to this article.
So, how big is this, and what does this mean?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: FBI raids Republican consultant firm

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Oh yes.

I was afraid that stunts like the Syrian strike and interference from people like Sessions and Nunes, as well as the firing of Comey, might derail the investigation, but it seems to be proceeding regardless.

I think this is too big, and too open, now, to just sweep under the rug. I don't know if they'll be able to get an impeachment, because you'd have to swing a lot of Republicans to do that, but this is going to keep dogging Trump and his cronies, and undermining the support and legitimacy of their administration, for a long time.

Good.

Edit: Okay, my bad. I admit I jumped the gun in assuming this was tied to the Trump/Russia thing (based on the timing), since that's not clear from the article.

That said, its just another indication of the rampant corruption of the Republican Party, and the more that gets exposed, the better. We'll have a better country if the entire rotting corpse of the Republican party is dismantled piece by piece.
Last edited by The Romulan Republic on 2017-05-11 07:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

This raid is entirely unrelated to the current controversy. It's a small deal, by and large. This political consulting firm is finished, but it doesn't appear to go beyond Maryland state politics.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Terralthra wrote:This raid is entirely unrelated to the current controversy. It's a small deal, by and large. This political consulting firm is finished, but it doesn't appear to go beyond Maryland state politics.
Yeah, I just assume based on the timing and the FBI's involvement. I've already corrected it.

But still worth paying attention to, and indicative of the general climate of corruption in the Republican Party.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Terralthra wrote:This raid is entirely unrelated to the current controversy. It's a small deal, by and large. This political consulting firm is finished, but it doesn't appear to go beyond Maryland state politics.
And Virginia. Apparently the politician whose backers they did the most defrauding of was from Virginia.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Yeah, I don't even really know WTF the investigation really seems to be about and neither does the reporter. What a waste of good ink.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw