Do Millennial Men Want Stay-at-Home Wives?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Re: Do Millennial Men Want Stay-at-Home Wives?

Post by SolarpunkFan »

Simon_Jester wrote:Christ but do I despise the alleged men who turn around and start voting 'go patriarchs!' as soon as they find out women are starting to make good in this society...

Crab mentality at its sickest.
I'm really, really sorry. My generation is full of douchebags and idiots.

Source: am a millennial. :(
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

One can reasonably argue, so am I, and all other generations are little or no better.

It's not as though men under thirty or thirty-five have some kind of monopoly on becoming Defenders of the Patriarchy when they see the successes of women as a threat to their own primacy. Quite the contrary.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

No, if anything, the older generations are (on average) worse.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

A stay at home wife? Not really. Hell, if I ever have children I'd there to be a stay at home parent. Me or wife, either or. Whichever of us make better pay at the better, less life-destroying employment be the primary support, the other caring for whatever children that are now the #1 priority in all things.

And I'm one of the early millennials, born at tail end of 1983.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

I know at least one American (I'm Australian) friend (24yrs old) who expects to have children with his future wife. Not unreasonable. But he also expects that he'll be working while she'll be primarily a housewife.

Now he's young, so he's not really yet familiar with the real world and how it all works (or how much kids really cost). But he's basically limited- knowingly- himself to women who are looking to be that. And if they can make ends meet and they're both doing what they both want to do, well, I don't really see any reason to complain (especially as I work and my partner doesn't, but we don't have kids) if everyone is getting what they want from the arrangement.

But he also has this attitude I can't stand, which is that women should either choose to work full time and not have kids or work in roles that allow them sufficient time to be mothers/housewives. It's the... funneling of women towards this, and the idea that for example there should be no subsidized child care or parental leave (as if women always made the choice to have children in a vacuum on a whim). It's rather unfathomable to me. He's certain he'll be fine and anyone who isn't just isn't working hard enough.

So yeah, there's certainly some that do want the stay at home wife. Always will be I suppose.
Dragon Clan Veritech