Trump fires FBI Director James Comey

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Trump fires FBI Director James Comey

Post by Rogue 9 »

NPR
President Trump Fires FBI Director James Comey

May 9, 20175:56 PM ET
Jessica Taylor

The White House has fired FBI Director James Comey, who was overseeing an investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 elections and possible ties to the Trump campaign and top aides.

"Today, President Donald J. Trump informed FBI Director James Comey that he has been terminated and removed from office. President Trump acted based on the clear recommendations of both Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein and Attorney General Jeff Sessions," White House press secretary Sean Spicer said in a statement.

"The FBI is one of our Nation's most cherished and respected institutions and today will mark a new beginning for our crown jewel of law enforcement," the president said in the statement.
Copies of the documents related to Director Comey's dismissal are at the link. Now we just wait for the other shoe to drop.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Re: Trump fires FBI Director James Comey

Post by Iroscato »

Oh shit.

Now what happens? O-o
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Rogue 9 wrote:
Copies of the documents related to Director Comey's dismissal are at the link. Now we just wait for the other shoe to drop.
I wasted ten minutes following up the rumors on Governor Chris Christie being named to take his place.

So far that rumor is untrue but it makes way to much sense

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

James Mattis was wrongly assigned the callsign CHAOS, it seems.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Politically fascinating and so many angles.

Some happy for what he did to Clinton, some worried now the investigation into Russia and Trump will die. What utter moron will he put into the FBI. Will the Senate GOP go along with it since they changed the rules for appointments, no fillibuster by Dems. Will Comey loyal FBI peeps leak shit, what will they leak?

It honestly makes more a mess than it solves firing him. I have no love for the man and won't cry for him. But it sure does stir up a hornets nest. The bad taste of political motives will swirl around this bad.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Iroscato wrote:Oh shit.

Now what happens? O-o
In a just world? Congressional investigations into what part Cummy played in the election kneecapping, and federal charges of perjury.

In the real world? No congressional investigation with the intent of actually finding out what took place regarding Cummy going all Tanya Harding on Hillary and if charged with perjury a preemptive Presidential pardon after he (if he's made to) testify before congress so he can take the 5th and before any perjury trial gets underway.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

My hope is that there was a quid pro quo between Cummy and the Donnie Douchebag camp along the lines of "sabotage Clinton, stay head of the FBI" and that since President Pussygrabber just essentially shitcanned him, Cummy starts talking.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I don't see Trump pardoning him. Trump is such a narcissist that the biggest crime against him is disloyalty.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

This is bananas. He was ostensibly fired for activities that directly led to Mr. Trump being elected President. Why wasn't he fired on day 1? Why now? Obviously the letter is a smokescreen, and we can only hope Mr. Comey starts talking, and soon, and hopefully he will still appear before the Senate Intelligence Committee on Thursday as scheduled.

Mr. Trump's signed dismissal letter is even more bananas. He literally thanks Mr. Comey for saying something Mr. Comey didn't say, purely for propaganda purposes.

This is Nixonian in scale.
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

As usual with Trump this action marks either extreme incompetence or sinister motives (maybe both at once!) On the incompetence front Trump maybe figures he's still on reality tv and thinks that by firing Comey over Clinton's emails he'll build goodwill or some shit. Or just showing he's in charge the only way he knows how which is throwing someone under a bus publicly. On the sinister end it's a purge of an official not 100 percent loyal to Trump done as part of a cover up or just to send a message so everyone else does whatever the president wants without question. No matter the case I'm sure congressional republicans will be falling all over themselves to justify this tomorrow even though they were defending Comey over the very thing he was fired for yesterday. The hypocrisy involved makes me want to puke.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

BEST SHOW ON EARTH. ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

MKSheppard wrote:BEST SHOW ON EARTH. ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?
I suppose consistently horrified + fascinated is a type of entertained.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Knife wrote:I don't see Trump pardoning him. Trump is such a narcissist that the biggest crime against him is disloyalty.
True, sometimes I drift into forgetting (for my own sanity) that tens of millions of shiteating fuckwits voted for a manchild who does things based solely on whatever his whim is at a particular moment and whether or not a walking vagina (what we call "women") looks enough like his daughter to make his micro-penis dribble.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Terralthra wrote:This is bananas. He was ostensibly fired for activities that directly led to Mr. Trump being elected President. Why wasn't he fired on day 1? Why now? Obviously the letter is a smokescreen, and we can only hope Mr. Comey starts talking, and soon, and hopefully he will still appear before the Senate Intelligence Committee on Thursday as scheduled.

Mr. Trump's signed dismissal letter is even more bananas. He literally thanks Mr. Comey for saying something Mr. Comey didn't say, purely for propaganda purposes.

This is Nixonian in scale.
Cummy will plead the 5th before the GOP Led Senate Intelligence Committee Pretend Investigation. Assuming the Committee doesn't decide he no longer needs to testify on the basis that he no longer holds the position as head of the FBI. :lol:

We live in the Twilight Zone.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

MKSheppard wrote:BEST SHOW ON EARTH. ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?
If President Pussygrabber and Big Jim Cummy engaged in mortal combat with flamethrower s in would be.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

As much as I dislike Comey's handling of the Clinton email case (though I will refrain from speculating as to his motive), and as much as I think Obama probably ought to have demanded his resignation for that, this is very clearly a blatant attempt by Trump to purge someone who is investigating his administration for not toeing the party line. And we move one step closer to dictator territory. I worry that if a true Trump stooge (which for all his faults, I don't think Comey is) gets approved by Congress, the investigation (through official, legal channels, at any rate- I expect the leaks will continue) will be dead.

Congress should block any attempt to replace Comey with a Trump loyalist, and step up the investigation. But I am not convinced that their are sufficient Democrats with spines, and sufficient Republicans with souls, to do either.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
The Jester
Padawan Learner

Post by The Jester »

Almost certainly a move of desperation. Without the ability to tap out in this sort of game, your only choice is to make crazy moves and wish for an act of God.

Still we've witnessed politicians in western democracies get away with all sorts of blatantly egregious acts during the life of this board.
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

The Jester wrote: Still we've witnessed politicians in western democracies get away with all sorts of blatantly egregious acts during the life of this board.
Seems about right. Congressional Republicans are in Trump's pocket. My money is that Trump gets strong support for whatever his reasoning of the day is on this and everything else and walks away from this stronger than ever because he'll have normalized purges no matter what the circumstances.
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Sorry for double post but another thought came to me.

The only real hope for any republicans in congress doing an about face on Trump is them seeing how much of a rabid dog the president has become here. He's thrown so many former allies (Christie, Flynn and now Comey) under the bus people got to start wondering if he can ever be trusted not to do the same to them. Just days ago Republicans in congress were throwing as much shade as possible Comey's way. They probably thought they had the crisis under control and their favored man would survive democratic whining no problem. Then the president comes in and fucks everything up. You got to think patience has to run out eventually. Problem is I fear a certain large percentage see an authoritarian style of rule as a good thing.
The Jester
Padawan Learner

Post by The Jester »

Raj Ahten wrote:
The Jester wrote: Still we've witnessed politicians in western democracies get away with all sorts of blatantly egregious acts during the life of this board.
Seems about right. Congressional Republicans are in Trump's pocket. My money is that Trump gets strong support for whatever his reasoning of the day is on this and everything else and walks away from this stronger than ever because he'll have normalized purges no matter what the circumstances.
While possible, there would be a political price to pay for that. There's bound to be a number of Congressmen shitting themselves right now. Remember when Chaffetz announced he wouldn't run for reelection and is considering ending his term early?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Remind me why Chaffetz would be vulnerable above and beyond the common run of Republican congressmen?

All I really know about him is that Howard Taylor of Schlock Mercenary despises him, which is good enough for me but might not be for others.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
The Jester
Padawan Learner

Post by The Jester »

I don't think he's more vulnerable--just as chairman of the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform he'd have better visibility on the size of the shit that's about to hit the fan.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

I think a big chunk of the Republican party are very happy to let Trump set the precedents that they'll later use. And another good chunk don't care what he does since at least he's not one of them Democrats. Odds of him being charged aren't good.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
The Jester
Padawan Learner

Post by The Jester »

We're probably talking about the work of dozens of FBI investigators here. If some serious shit went down, they're going to be fucking pissed about having all their hard work swept under the rug in the name of politics. Someone is bound to leak if they haven't already taken action after seeing the breaking news report.
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

The Jester wrote:We're probably talking about the work of dozens of FBI investigators here. If some serious shit went down, they're going to be fucking pissed about having all their hard work swept under the rug in the name of politics. Someone is bound to leak if they haven't already taken action after seeing the breaking news report.
And then what? Another negative news story about Trump? If congress doesn't want to do anything and Trump's pet AG stays compliant precisely fuck all results. Trump calls it fake news and moves on to the next outrage.