Stephen Colbert Insults Donald Trump

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Re: Stephen Colbert Insults Donald Trump

Post by ray245 »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Broomstick wrote:Why do you assume it's "Gay Rights Activists" driving the complaints of homophobia? You think rabid Trump supporters couldn't make that accusation for political purposes?
Perhaps.

I can imagine that their would be some people who would genuinely feel it was homophobic. But they're being used by the Alt. Right here, I think.
The alt-right have been hijacking movements like feminism, gay rights and etc. for quite some time now.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Edit: In the event that this is political, I hope that Stephen Colbert sues the FCC for violating his First Amendment rights, though I could understand him wanting to avoid that.
Pretty sure the FCC routinely investigates complaints whether they're justified or not. Until they actually hand out some sort of punishment or censure this is a non-issue.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Well, we'll see. But it seems like this is something that would normally be fairly readily dismissed, if they're to be consistent.

If they actually implement any sort of penalty... I can't see any legal justification, nor can I think of a plausible reason (other than gross stupidity) that doesn't come down to political censorship.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Well, we'll see. But it seems like this is something that would normally be fairly readily dismissed, if they're to be consistent.
...How do you think they decide whether a complaint should be dismissed?
If they actually implement any sort of penalty... I can't see any legal justification, nor can I think of a plausible reason (other than gross stupidity) that doesn't come down to political censorship.
'He used bad words on TV during a time slot when you're not allowed to do that.'
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Um... The Late Show is a late night show. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that ten o'clock was the usual cut-off. The Late show doesn't come on until 11:30-ish. And it was bleeped.

And the article I posted flat-out said that this wouldn't violate the normal standards. I even re-quoted it for emphasis.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Um... The Late Show is a late night show. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that ten o'clock was the usual cut-off. The Late show doesn't come on until 11:30-ish. And it was bleeped.

And the article I posted flat-out said that this wouldn't violate the normal standards. I even re-quoted it for emphasis.
Oh, whoops. Thought I'd seen something about it being before the cut-off.

Anyway, the point stands. Investigating is how they decide whether to dismiss the complaints.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Don't they have a protocol for "summarily dismiss an obviously flimsy/bogus complaint"? Honest question.

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

What Patroklos was talking about was in part the subject of an article in The Atlantic this week.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Don't they have a protocol for "summarily dismiss an obviously flimsy/bogus complaint"? Honest question.
Probably, but triggering it for a complaint that originated from the White House (or Mar-A-Lago) would probably be bad for a lot of people's career prospects.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Broomstick wrote:Why do you assume it's "Gay Rights Activists" driving the complaints of homophobia? You think rabid Trump supporters couldn't make that accusation for political purposes?

And yeah, I think the FCC probe is driven largely by complaints not from the public but the White House.
The FCC will "probe" (meaning bend over and shove their tiny barbed cock up the ass of the first amendment) if they get a few thousand complaints from a show watched by millions. Frankly I don't know why an agency set up to police and assign frequencies is allowed to control content. Oh wait, yes I do. Some religious fuckbucket from the '30's started a campaign for them to police content on radio and they just took it and ran.

That said, I wouldn't be shocked if the WH had some say. Vlad's Cock Holster can give it, but like all trolls can't take it.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Zaune wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Don't they have a protocol for "summarily dismiss an obviously flimsy/bogus complaint"? Honest question.
Probably, but triggering it for a complaint that originated from the White House (or Mar-A-Lago) would probably be bad for a lot of people's career prospects.
The only control the White House has over the FCC is executive appointments. It has literally no control over how it's policies are executed or how lesser people are hired or fired or stalled in their career.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Gaidin wrote:
Zaune wrote:
The only control the White House has over the FCC is executive appointments. It has literally no control over how it's policies are executed or how lesser people are hired or fired or stalled in their career.
That's true, but if the president makes a call to his lackey at the Fucking Cunt Commission, I doubt said lackey would do nothing.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Said lackey has to exist though and far as I can tell Trump is absolutely terrible at making allies in the political arena.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Lord Revan wrote:Said lackey has to exist though and far as I can tell Trump is absolutely terrible at making allies in the political arena.
True. I don't even know if the head of the FCC is a holdover from the Obama Administration or if President Pussygrabber has replaced him with his lackey yet if at all. IIRC, it's not an appointment that goes through the senate. But like I said, you can have a show watched by millions, and a few thousand complaints to the FCC (a lot of times it's form letters from uptight douchebag special interest groups who get the vapors if they hear a "bad" word or see a nip slip) and then the FCC will investigate and do anything from a fine to pulling the affiliates' broadcast license.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

So Trumpolini, in his usual crybaby style, went on a rant to Time Magazine about Colbert.

Colbert responded and utterly demolished Trumpolini, as one might expect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wMvItIDMPU

Seriously, this is the best thing I've seen in a while. :D

Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

The Romulan Republic wrote:So Trumpolini, in his usual crybaby style, went on a rant to Time Magazine about Colbert.

Colbert responded and utterly demolished Trumpolini, as one might expect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wMvItIDMPU

Seriously, this is the best thing I've seen in a while. :D
As far as comedians are concerned, Il Duce's misadministration and bumblefuck stupidity is the gift that keeps on giving.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.