Bill O'Reilly shitcanned from Fox

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Bill O'Reilly shitcanned from Fox

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Its becoming increasingly obvious as one after another goes down that Fox was a festering den with a culture of sexual harassment.

But seriously, Hannity's going too? That is the best news I've heard all month. Good riddance, you worthless mother fucker!
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Perhaps a good idea at this point would be to shut the whole thing down for awhile and sort the mess out? From a PR perspective this has got to be a disaster of epic proportions.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Tribble wrote:Perhaps a good idea at this point would be to shut the whole thing down for awhile and sort the mess out? From a PR perspective this has got to be a disaster of epic proportions.
As in shut down the whole network?

They would lose millions in ad revenue each day, and draw unprecedented attention to the whole kerfuffle. PR wise, the best they can do is quickly replace people as needed, and not discuss anythng. That way their loyal viewers don't go elsewhere for the story and they can build a new O'Reilly/Hannity/et al.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Gandalf wrote:
Tribble wrote:Perhaps a good idea at this point would be to shut the whole thing down for awhile and sort the mess out? From a PR perspective this has got to be a disaster of epic proportions.
As in shut down the whole network?

They would lose millions in ad revenue each day, and draw unprecedented attention to the whole kerfuffle. PR wise, the best they can do is quickly replace people as needed, and not discuss anythng. That way their loyal viewers don't go elsewhere for the story and they can build a new O'Reilly/Hannity/et al.
Well, I envision that a never ending stream of harassment claims isn't going to do their image any good either. It's rapidly turning into a reality show: "Which Fox anchor is going to be terminated this week? Stay tuned!"

Hmmmm, that might actually increase their ratings now that I think of it.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Flagg, you seem to be confusing at-will employment with right-to-work employment. Right-to-work is what you described with respect to unions: you can not be required to join a union or pay union dues as a condition of employment. At-will employment states that absent a contract setting forth the terms of employment, either employer or employee can terminate the employment at any time for any reason (so long as it is not an illegal reason such as discrimination).
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Gerald Tarrant wrote:
Gandalf wrote:
It's the purge of Fox News! :D

Is Colmes also in trouble somehow? :P
He died in February.
Not only that, but even if he were still alive, he hadn't worked at Fox for years since he was too liberal for them.
Tribble wrote:Well, I envision that a never ending stream of harassment claims isn't going to do their image any good either. It's rapidly turning into a reality show: "Which Fox anchor is going to be terminated this week? Stay tuned!"

Hmmmm, that might actually increase their ratings now that I think of it.
Why not just up the ante and have accusations that a Fox executive forced black employees to arm wrestle for the entertainment of their white superiors?
New York Mag wrote:The Murdochs hoped firing Bill O’Reilly would signal a changing culture at Fox News. “We want to underscore our consistent commitment to fostering a work environment built on the values of trust and respect,” Rupert and his sons, James and Lachlan, wrote in a memo to Fox News employees on Wednesday. But the dismissal of Fox News’ highest-rated host isn’t going to end the crisis at the network. The toxic culture, fostered for 20 years by former CEO Roger Ailes, is proving far more difficult to remedy.

Next week, according to sources, seven black Fox News employees plan to join a racial-discrimination suit filed last month by two colleagues. The original lawsuit alleged that Fox News’ longtime comptroller, Judy Slater, subjected members of Fox’s payroll staff to racial insults for years. (Fox News fired Slater in February after those employees began litigation against the network.)

Lawyers representing the payroll employees are demanding that Fox’s accounting director, Tammy Efinger, also be removed from supervising an employee because she allegedly participated in Slater’s racist behavior. In a letter to the network’s lawyers obtained by New York, the attorneys state: “Not once did Ms. Efinger step in or attempt to interfere with Ms. Slater’s outrageous conduct.” The letter adds, instead, “Ms. Efinger chose to laugh or giggle following Ms. Slater’s vitriol.”

The letter also includes new allegations of racism in Fox News’ accounting department. According to the plaintiffs’ attorneys, Slater demanded that black female employees hold “arm wrestling matches’” with white female employees in her office, just down the hall from Ailes’s office on the second floor of Fox headquarters. “Forcing a black woman employee to ‘fight’ for the amusement and pleasure of her white superiors is horrifying. This highly offensive and humiliating act is reminiscent of Jim Crow era battle royals,” the letter says, referring to the practice of paying black men to fight blindfolded at carnivals for white spectators’ entertainment. The lawyers argue that Efinger bragged about wanting to “fight” a black employee.

The new claims, if true, reveal not just the failures of the legal and HR departments to deal with problematic managers but also just how deep the culture of discrimination and harassment may have run during Ailes’s reign.

Reached for comment, an attorney representing the employees, Jeanne Christensen, said, “There will be more complaints forthcoming in the next few days.”

A Fox News spokesperson said: “We can’t comment on a lawsuit that we haven’t seen yet.”
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Terralthra wrote:Flagg, you seem to be confusing at-will employment with right-to-work employment. Right-to-work is what you described with respect to unions: you can not be required to join a union or pay union dues as a condition of employment. At-will employment states that absent a contract setting forth the terms of employment, either employer or employee can terminate the employment at any time for any reason (so long as it is not an illegal reason such as discrimination).
Yeah, I'd never heard the term, so I figured it was just another way of saying "right to work". Thanks for the correction
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Is anyone surprised that Fox was apparently an utter sewer of a place to work in, with a culture of rampant racism and misogyny?

I mean, they're basically just living the world view they preached on the air.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.