Brexit and General UK politics thread

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, SCRawl, Thanas, Edi, K. A. Pital

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Re: Brexit and General UK politics thread

Post by Tribble » 2019-07-10 02:32pm

Now there’s talk of Johnson proroguing parliament to kill off all discussion and force a hard brexit through. If he becomes PM and tries that tactic it’d be interesting to see what the Queens response would be.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2019-07-10 07:13pm

Tribble wrote:
2019-07-10 02:32pm
Now there’s talk of Johnson proroguing parliament to kill off all discussion and force a hard brexit through. If he becomes PM and tries that tactic it’d be interesting to see what the Queens response would be.
Suck it up and let it happen, because any direct intervention by the Queen against Parliament on a major issue would cause a constitutional crisis and possibly a civil war?
"We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness"-The Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson, 1776.

A promise never lived up to, but always to be aspired to.

LaCroix
Sith Marauder

Post by LaCroix » 2019-07-11 07:04am

The Romulan Republic wrote:
2019-07-10 07:13pm
Suck it up and let it happen, because any direct intervention by the Queen against Parliament on a major issue would cause a constitutional crisis and possibly a civil war?
Probably the other way round - because what he will have to ask of her is to shut down parliament for weeks or months. Doing what he wants would be interfering in parliamentary proceedings at the wish of a single person who can't get the vote he wants. So it would be her act of shutting down the parliament which would lead to a no-deal brexit (something the Parliament has repeatedly voted against).

A very easy decision for her. Especially since she (like most people who met him) doesn't like BJ, and is rather pro-remain.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2019-07-11 07:06am

LaCroix wrote:
2019-07-11 07:04am
The Romulan Republic wrote:
2019-07-10 07:13pm
Probably the other way round - because what he will have to ask of her is to shut down parliament for weeks or months. Doing what he wants would be interfering in parliamentary proceedings at the wish of a single person who can't get the vote he wants. So it would be her act of shutting down the parliament which would lead to a no-deal brexit (something the Parliament has repeatedly voted against).

A very easy decision for her. Especially since she (like most people who met him) doesn't like BJ, and is rather pro-remain.
Ah, fair enough then. Hope she tells Boris to go fuck himself (in a suitably classy manner, of course :wink: ).
"We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness"-The Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson, 1776.

A promise never lived up to, but always to be aspired to.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom » 2019-07-11 12:26pm

It's worth remembering that even if Boris wins the Tory leadership contest, Her Majesty doesn't have to invite him to form a government. I mean, sure, it's customary but it isn't totally ironclad - she can ask anyone who can feasibly lead the Commons, and since the Tories don't have an actual majority, it becomes a more interesting question than when Theresa May took over (as she did have a majority).
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.

Lost Soal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lost Soal » 2019-07-11 01:26pm

It gets more interesting now that NI has been forced to accept marriage equality and abortion rights, you've got to wonder how long it will be before the DUP screws the Tories over in return.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.

Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort » 2019-07-11 04:49pm

LaCroix wrote:
2019-07-11 07:04am
Probably the other way round - because what he will have to ask of her is to shut down parliament for weeks or months. Doing what he wants would be interfering in parliamentary proceedings at the wish of a single person who can't get the vote he wants.
Doing what he wanted would be following the advice of her ministers, which has a far stronger precedent than trivia such as parliamentary proceedings. Ergo, that's exactly what would happen.
Evidence for this? If there is any I'd be astonished, given that HM is exceptionally good at remaining apolitical and keeping her private views on individuals and debates private.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe - Albert Einstein