Brexit and General UK politics thread

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, SCRawl, Thanas, Edi, K. A. Pital

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Brexit and General UK politics thread

Post by Simon_Jester » 2018-04-09 11:34am

Now now, that is simply slanderous to other ways of organizing a republic.

The US doesn't use the Westminster system, and is benefiting the few just fine!

[/sarcasm]
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas » 2018-04-09 04:48pm

His Divine Shadow wrote:
2018-04-09 01:33am
I am not debating you, you are not gonna get that amount of effort out of me. Frankly the idea of giving you that much, repulses me.
Then why are you here? Just to troll?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs

His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow » 2018-04-10 01:20am

From my perspective I'm here to give another perspective on things, posting news links and my commentary on it is mainly what I do anymore, though I hardly bother with that even, my posting is extremely limited here and I don't have anything invested here really anymore. That and occasionally getting triggered and wound up by you. If you want to label that trolling go ahead.

I like to think of myself as the canary in the centrist coal mine.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.

Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous » 2018-04-10 05:27am

Happy news today that one of the victims of the Russian nerve agent attack has been released from hospital. What a great result for NHS Salisbury, I don't know what the survival chances are for such attacks but it looks like all three victims will end up being discharged.

Sadly the fate of the two Russians is one where they will probably no longer be able to walk the streets without some form of protection from a further attack, which is very sad. Hopefully once Putin is gone there may be some reform in Russia.
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.

EnterpriseSovereign
Jedi Council Member

Post by EnterpriseSovereign » 2018-04-17 09:55am

MPs are none too happy about not being consulted over the joint France/UK/USA strike on Syria. I can see both sides of the argument, but it's obvious Parliament has no concept of something called 'operational security'.
It's no use debating a moron; they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Just because you have the attention span of a fruit fly doesn't mean the rest of us are so encumbered.

"As you know science is not fact"- HuskerJay
"The Delta Fyler [sic] isn't even a shuttle craft" -HuskerJay69
"The Dominion War wasn't really all that bad"- Admiral Mercury

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester » 2018-04-17 03:33pm

When operational security becomes a reason not to tell the legislature you're going to start bombing a country until after things go 'boom,' you've taken operational security waaay too far.

The only time operational security should be a major strategic consideration in deciding whether or not to have political-level discussions of whether or not to fight is when your government has already resolved to launch an unprovoked sneak attack in peacetime.

Aaaand if that's so, well... your government shouldn't be launching an unprovoked sneak attack in peace time.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov

Zaune
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zaune » 2018-04-17 08:51pm

This is the same government whose leader said, in public, that if human rights laws got in the way of fighting crime then she'd get rid of them. Respect for democracy and the rule of law isn't really their strong suit.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon