Brexit and General UK politics thread

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, SCRawl, Thanas, Edi, K. A. Pital

Zaune
Sith Acolyte

Re: Brexit and General UK politics thread

Post by Zaune » 2018-05-12 06:37am

Yes, it very probably will cause problems further down the line, but the alternative is a Chinese and/or American boot on our necks for the next century if we're lucky.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog

LaCroix
Sith Marauder

Post by LaCroix » 2018-05-12 02:21pm

K. A. Pital wrote:
2018-05-12 04:20am
Don't you think that this would cause further problems down the line? Being in the EU without even having a voice about how it's run is certain to inflame tensions to an entirely different degree.

But then again, I've had no problems with Scotland breaking off, so... *grabs popcorn*
EEA/EFTA does not mean you are in the EU -it means you sign the existing European Free Trade Agreement. The existing agreement contains rules for admittance, and the most relevant are that you follow the EU laws and trade regulations (with a vote on some aspects of them), and adhere to the 4 freedoms. You either sign the present contract or you don't get in - like joining NAFTA - you sign or not, they won't negotiate extra terms for you.
You can still barter other individual free trade with non-EU/EFFTA countries on your own, though.

It's similar to Texas seceding, and joining NAFTA... :D

Norway and Swizerland are living like that for a decade or more, and have no complaints. EU laws are usually reasonable (with a few exceptions).
Also, neither of them have delusions of grandeur or an institutional problem with immigrants from eastern Europe seeking work, and a mostly functional secondary sector.

And there are always two options available if you don't like "regulation without representation".

Leave and see what you can get yourself on the free market.
Join the EU to get more of a say.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital » 2018-05-12 02:27pm

LaCroix wrote:
2018-05-12 02:21pm
EEA/EFTA does not mean you are in the EU -it means you sign the existing European Free Trade Agreement. The existing agreement contains rules for admittance, and the most relevant are that you follow the EU laws and trade regulations (with a vote on some aspects of them), and adhere to the 4 freedoms
It is basically like being in the EU without having any representation.
LaCroix wrote:
Norway and Swizerland are living like that for a decade or more, and have no complaints.
You surely missed the massive crisis in Switzerland over immigration where the government ignored the referendum results and did not force quotas on EU citizens, because going through with it would have instantly destroyed all Swiss bilateral agreements with the EU - due to the guillotine clause. Which was a very real risk in 2014-2017. The EU put pressure and the Swiss caved in, but at no point is this a "no complaints" situation.
LaCroix wrote:
Also, neither of them have delusions of grandeur or an institutional problem with immigrants from eastern Europe seeking work, and a mostly functional secondary sector.
The Swiss xenophobia is so strong that Eastern European nations have special rules applying to them compared to immigrants from established EU nations (EU 17).

Basically, Switzerland already had a Brexit situation (referendum with xenophobic opinion winning -> government which did not want to lose access to the common market -> ignoring the referendum -> still being bound by all EU law and freedom of movement).

Given the above, it's definetely going to be a much harder time selling it to the Brexit public as an "exit".
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali

LaCroix
Sith Marauder

Post by LaCroix » 2018-05-12 02:37pm

I was not aware that the swiss crisis was that much of a thing. I stand corrected.

But yes, these Swiss problems is pretty much what I expect to happen if Britain would try a "soft" exit and find out what they are signing up for.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital » 2018-05-12 03:05pm

Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2018-05-14 12:23pm

K. A. Pital wrote:
2018-05-12 04:05am
The Romulan Republic wrote:
2018-05-11 07:05pm
I'd fucking love it if that happened. It would be the best possible outcome short of full membership, I expect, and it would be fitting comeuppance to the Brexit assholes.
It would also show that there are no consequences to badly botched democratic choice.
As others have noted, there would be consequences- but perhaps not absolutely crippling ones that would hurt a lot of innocent people. And I'd rather not see Britain utterly ruined, or innocent people suffer, to make a point.

The consequences in this scenario would fall disproportionately on the assholes responsible for this cluster fuck, which to me seems fair.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - Lincoln.

EnterpriseSovereign
Jedi Council Member

Post by EnterpriseSovereign » 2018-05-14 05:32pm

2018-05-14 12:23pm
K. A. Pital wrote:
2018-05-12 04:05am
2018-05-11 07:05pm
I'd fucking love it if that happened. It would be the best possible outcome short of full membership, I expect, and it would be fitting comeuppance to the Brexit assholes.
It would also show that there are no consequences to badly botched democratic choice.
As others have noted, there would be consequences- but perhaps not absolutely crippling ones that would hurt a lot of innocent people. And I'd rather not see Britain utterly ruined, or innocent people suffer, to make a point.

The consequences in this scenario would fall disproportionately on the assholes responsible for this cluster fuck, which to me seems fair.
I too would love to see Brexit fail, except as a Scot living in England I'd have to live with the consequences; especially as I was a staunch remainer the whole mess pisses me off! :lol:
It's no use debating a moron; they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Just because you have the attention span of a fruit fly doesn't mean the rest of us are so encumbered.

"As you know science is not fact"- HuskerJay
"The Delta Fyler [sic] isn't even a shuttle craft" -HuskerJay69
"The Dominion War wasn't really all that bad"- Admiral Mercury