http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... gAa7rpLoCQ
In a small suburnan village, villagers have arrested 30 policemen and have formed a small garrison and are blocking the roads asking for the government to follow the law.
So, what appears to have happened:
0) in the rapidly ubanising country, land can be incredibly valuable. this village is 19miles from Hanoi.
1) People were protesting the governement taking their land under planning laws, with nominal value paid
2) The city police were sent in to impose the governments will*
3) The police arrested / took hostage four people leading the protest.
4) The crowd retailiated and took 30 policement hostage. This brings us into the present.
Roads leading to the communal house, where the officials are held, were blocked by a crowd of around 30 holding sticks as of Sunday afternoon.
Two men who identified themselves as commune representatives said they want the government to release the detained villagers.
“All we want is for the land to be cleared in accordance with the law,” one woman told VnExpress.
“We provide enough food and water for the police officers and we treat them courteously,” a resident named Loan added.
*historically, some people get very rich off these schemes, and they tend not to be the villagers