Flippy the Burger bot

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Flippy the Burger bot

Post by Simon_Jester »

FaxModem1 wrote:Let's get this thread back to automation:

Quartz Media
The food robots are upon us—taking orders, flipping burgers, and posing questions...
Here is a picture of one of those food delivery robots passing by homeless in San Francisco:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7J9eRmVwAAUBGv.jpg
Related question that pops into my mind: how good is this type of drone at looking both ways before it crosses the street? Does it know how to interpret a turn signal? This being San Francisco, how is it at interpreting the significance of traffic lights coming at it through fog? If the drone's programming causes it to 'recklessly' drive out into traffic and an accident results, what are the odds of a court finding the owner of the drone liable?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Another related question: How resistant are these things to a swift kick in the flank and a crowbar? Because if I was homeless, and I saw these things buzzing around town, it wouldn't take me very long to get ideas.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

I expect the camera and public venue would be a decent deterrent. Especially if examples are made out of the first few adventurous souls to try it.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Raw Shark wrote:Another related question: How resistant are these things to a swift kick in the flank and a crowbar? Because if I was homeless, and I saw these things buzzing around town, it wouldn't take me very long to get ideas.
I imagine that vandalism is going to be very common, at least at the outset. Blind the cameras with spraypaint or something, tip it on its side, and start in with the crowbar or hammer. I assume the robots will transmit back a distress signal, but would still require a human to call emergency services. And it's not like bystanders would intervene; they rarely do that if a human is getting mugged.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

There's been enough of this topic. LOCKED.
If you wanna discuss other robots taking our jobs, make a new thread
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet