What are the "core values" of the Democratic Party?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

What are the "core values" of the Democratic Party?

Post by Gandalf »

As the title says.

The Republicans have a few key issues around which they build the party. It's boots on faces, forever. Women's controls over their bodies? Fuck 'em. Minorities? Fuck 'em. Poor people? Fuck 'em. If you hate someone enough, there's probably a space for you in the GOP.

But what are the core ideas of the Democratic party? Their website is pretty vague, and the last election showed that the base sure isn't united on one or two ideas.

There's a few places I'd like to see them go, but I'll come back with more later.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: What are the "core values" of the Democratic Party?

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I would say that the basics, at a guess, include:

Economics: A functional social safety net (including health care, though positions range from something like the Affordable Care Act to a nation-wide single payer system) funded by taxation, and that the rich should be taxed more than the poor.

Domestic policy: Protection of civil rights for minorities and women, and legal equality.

Greater gun control.

I think most are for some degree of environmental protection as well, though how strong they are on this issue varies greatly (see the fracking debate last primary).

Foreign Policy: I don't think their is a single view on foreign policy shared by all, or nearly all, of the Democratic Party. You've got strong American exceptionalist hawks, you've got anti-war non-interventionists who think that any war is an imperialist conspiracy, and everything in between.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

They need to start basic then expand. Start with 'We are for the middle class, the working men and women of America' and then develop planks in their agenda that support this.

I know, I know. They are supposed to be that already, but we know they aren't. It will take time and actual effort on their part to convince people they are on their side again. So close behind them stating a direction and actually moving in that direct would come from them cleaning up their own shit as well. Blue collar workers aren't going to believe in them if they say they stand for the working peeps if the Dems as a party keep gobbling up all that sweet Wall Street money, keep Goldman Sach's peeps in office/party spots, and rolling over on big issues that affect the working men/women. Once they get some cred back, they can expand their 'values'.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

FDRs four freedoms are probably a good starting point.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Freedoms
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

The Democrats don't have core values. It's party welded together from different factions who were at some point in time convinced their interests were pointed in roughly the same direction and/or were promised support in exchange for support.
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Kingmaker wrote:The Democrats don't have core values. It's party welded together from different factions who were at some point in time convinced their interests were pointed in roughly the same direction and/or were promised support in exchange for support.
You could make the same accusations of the Republican party if you were really inclined to shitpost.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

General Zod wrote:
Kingmaker wrote:The Democrats don't have core values. It's party welded together from different factions who were at some point in time convinced their interests were pointed in roughly the same direction and/or were promised support in exchange for support.
You could make the same accusations of the Republican party if you were really inclined to shitpost.
I could. And I would. The Ds and Rs are 150 year old political frankensteins that have undergone multiple realignments. I don't think that either had some sort of core value or mission statement beyond "win elections".
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

What the parties were one hundred and fifty years ago is irrelevant to what defines them today. It is unreasonable to expect a party not to change in a century and a half, or conclude that it is lacking in principles if it does.

And I have am disappointed, but not surprised, to see yet another attempt to falsely equate the Democratic and Republican Parties, which serves no purpose but to encourage divisiveness, cynicism, and apathy.

If you disdain "political frankensteins" formed by compromise between various factions, and conclude that they lack true principles, then you will never accomplish anything much in a democratic system of government. You win elections, and thus are in a position to enact your principles most effectively, by forming a large coalition that can win the support of a majority (or close to it- thanks Electoral College) of the voters.

Rejecting any compromise between factions as a lack of principles is the course of the fanatic, and one that will ultimately lead to defeat in a democratic system of government. This, above all, is why I do not believe that any of the existing third party movements, as they currently are, can ever amount to anything- because the define themselves in no small part by their uncompromising adherence to fringe positions, and take pride in that fact.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I would say that the basics, at a guess, include:

Economics: A functional social safety net (including health care, though positions range from something like the Affordable Care Act to a nation-wide single payer system) funded by taxation, and that the rich should be taxed more than the poor.

Domestic policy: Protection of civil rights for minorities and women, and legal equality.

Greater gun control.

I think most are for some degree of environmental protection as well, though how strong they are on this issue varies greatly (see the fracking debate last primary).

Foreign Policy: I don't think their is a single view on foreign policy shared by all, or nearly all, of the Democratic Party. You've got strong American exceptionalist hawks, you've got anti-war non-interventionists who think that any war is an imperialist conspiracy, and everything in between.
This more or less sums it up for the voters who support the Democratic Party: a return to the more sensible economic and social improvements from the New Deal to the Great Society, though both have been so demonized that like Obamacare, people recoil from the names like the peasants in Monty Python And The Holy Grail do when they cower at the mention of the Knights who say Ni.

On the other hand, the party itself has only one principle: to lose on cue, just like jobbers in pro wrestling or palookas in some of the shadier boxing associations. They are content with accepting the loser's purse and maybe once in a while being allowed to win when the "face" fucks up once too often, and the jobber gets to be the champ for a brief while until a new "face" can be installed. Now your typical jobber is quite happy with being the bitch and doesn't want anyone pointing out that the matches are either heavily stacked or outright fixed. That's why pwog hacks like the ones on MSNBC are almost as interested in hippie-punching (preferably the female DFHs like Jill Stein and Susan Sarandon) as they are in exposing Agent Orange's bullfuckery.

The only reason the DNC exists at all is that in a winner-takes-all system, voting third party is a waste of time -and a voter who wants to waste their time can do it much more effectively by sitting home on election day.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Can this be said to be a core value?
https://twitter.com/dustin_temple10/sta ... 5086656512
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Elfdart wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:I would say that the basics, at a guess, include:

Greater gun control.

This more or less sums it up for the voters who support the Democratic Party: a return to the more sensible economic and social improvements from the New Deal to the Great Society, though both have been so demonized that like Obamacare, people recoil from the names like the peasants in Monty Python And The Holy Grail do when they cower at the mention of the Knights who say Ni.

On the other hand, the party itself has only one principle: to lose on cue, just like jobbers in pro wrestling or palookas in some of the shadier boxing associations. They are content with accepting the loser's purse and maybe once in a while being allowed to win when the "face" fucks up once too often, and the jobber gets to be the champ for a brief while until a new "face" can be installed. Now your typical jobber is quite happy with being the bitch and doesn't want anyone pointing out that the matches are either heavily stacked or outright fixed. That's why pwog hacks like the ones on MSNBC are almost as interested in hippie-punching (preferably the female DFHs like Jill Stein and Susan Sarandon) as they are in exposing Agent Orange's bullfuckery.

The only reason the DNC exists at all is that in a winner-takes-all system, voting third party is a waste of time -and a voter who wants to waste their time can do it much more effectively by sitting home on election day.
Their are Democratic politicians who make some effort to stand up for most or all of the principles I listed above, but I won't deny that the party leadership has lately exhibited unfortunately tendencies towards political incompetence and conceding when it shouldn't.

Hopefully the spectre of Russo-American fascism will be enough to stiffen their backbones.

That's our problem- our system largely consists of two parties, one of whom tries very ineffectually to do mostly decent things, and the other of which tries very hard to do mostly evil things.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Now, if the question is what should the core principles of the Democratic Party be, I would say that at this point, its pretty much:

1. Upholding the Constitution, particularly the rights to freedom of expression/belief, legal equality, due process, and a fair vote.
2. Obstructing Trump/the Republicans, and removing them from power.
3. Avoiding embroiling the US in major wars/confrontations, particularly with other nuclear powers (and no, that doesn't mean we have to role over for Russia on everything, Donald).
4. Ensuring that key aspects of the social safety net, particularly Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and public education, are functional.
5. Addressing Climate Change, because this is a threat to the whole Earth long-term.

Everything else should be negotiable and open to compromise.

In other words, we should be the Party of the Poor and Middle Class, regardless of race, gender, creed, sexual orientation, national origin, etc.; and our first priority in that regard should be to maintain American democracy against Republican efforts to undermine it.