Trump-backing town angry after ICE detains beloved local Mexican restaurant owner

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Trump-backing town angry after ICE detains beloved local Mexican restaurant owner

Post by mr friendly guy »

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/02/trump- ... ant-owner/

BRAD REED
27 FEB 2017 AT 07:30 ET
West Frankfort, Illinois, overwhelmingly voted for President Donald Trump last fall, but now some residents are upset after the Immigration and Customs Enforcement arrested and detained a beloved local Mexican restaurant owner.

The New York Times reports that ICE last week detained Juan Carlos Hernandez Pacheco, the owner of the La Fiesta restaurant in the town of 8,000 people located in southern Illinois.

While residents in the town said that they were still supportive of the president’s moves to deport undocumented immigrants, they told the Times that the president should make more exceptions for people like Pacheco, who have not only been exemplary local businessmen, but also pillars of the community who take part in local charity events.

“I think people need to do things the right way, follow the rules and obey the laws, and I firmly believe in that,” local resident Lori Barron told the paper. “But in the case of Carlos, I think he may have done more for the people here than this place has ever given him. I think it’s absolutely terrible that he could be taken away.”

West Frankfort Mayor Tom Jordan similarly praised Pacheco as a “great asset” to the community who “doesn’t ask for anything in return.”

And Richard Glodich, the athletic director at a local high school, wrote a letter in support of Pacheco in which he slammed ICE for arresting “a GOOD MAN that should be used as a role model for other immigrants.”

The specific reason that ICE decided to target Pacheco for arrest is still unknown. ICE wouldn’t comment on the specificity of Pacheco’s case, and would only say that “every day, as part of routine operations, ICE officers target and arrest criminal aliens and other individuals who are in violation of our nation’s immigration laws.”
New York times has a longer article so I decided to post the shorter rawstory link. But if you're interested, the NYT link is
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/27/us/i ... checo.html

Jimmy Dore has lots of things to say.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7akq-dN9G0
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Trump-backing town angry after ICE detains beloved local Mexican restaurant owner

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Yeah, its easy to hate all the foreigners when they're just a nameless, faceless mass, until it starts hurting people you actually know and care about.

Idiots. I suppose its too much to ask for that these people make the leap to understanding that the majority of the people Trump persecutes are decent people just living their lives.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Re: Trump-backing town angry after ICE detains beloved local Mexican restaurant owner

Post by Khaat »

“I think people need to do things the right way, follow the rules and obey the laws, and I firmly believe in that,” local resident Lori Barron told the paper. “But in the case of Carlos, I think he may have done more for the people here than this place has ever given him. I think it’s absolutely terrible that he could be taken away.”

West Frankfort Mayor Tom Jordan similarly praised Pacheco as a “great asset” to the community who “doesn’t ask for anything in return.”
Bullshit translator says: "As long as we can exploit them, they should be allowed to remain servile to us."
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I don't know, I think you're reading too much into that. Its the same kind of language that would be used to describe any sort of person who was seen as contributing positively to their community.

More like its just a case of people not managing to connect A and B and realize the contradictions in their own world-view.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I don't know, I think you're reading too much into that. Its the same kind of language that would be used to describe any sort of person who was seen as contributing positively to their community. More like its just a case of people not managing to connect A and B and realize the contradictions in their own world-view.
I also see a bit more to it than just a misunderstanding, because I find a similar disturbing attitude among immigrant-haters here. They say: "As long as it's the restaurants, the floor-cleaning, etc. we need them. But only as long as they serve us." Some even go the final mile: "Once we get old, all this immigrants will make our lives good by paying our pensions".

I guess some of these people might face a rude awakening - especially if they keep voting for the likes of Trump, Wilders and the rest. But even if not, the immigrants are not there to be their - or anyone's - humble servants.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

The key word is "asset". Not "member of the community", not "role model", but asset: to be used until no longer of value, then discarded.

If someone called Trump an "asset" to his face, you know his Twitter account would explode. And everyone else would assume they had mispronounced "asshat."
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Sure, you could read that intent in it. Or it could be just a poor choice of words.

I'd need to more to go on before I subscribed malevolence to that particularly phrase.

And nobody is going to consider Trump an asset, except Bannon and Putin. ;)

Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

It's not so much "If I can use them" as it is that they know this guy, he's not just some arbitrary concept to them. They know him, they like him, so on. They hear about all these welfare cheatin' illegals and think that's the rule and he's the exception, because their experiences don't really give them a basis for comparison. Hell, a lot of them probably never knew that he wasn't legally in the US, if such is the case. INS and ICE aren't always the most cautious bunch when it comes to who they conclude needs to be arrested.

There's also the all too common "I don't care until it affects me" situation.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I feel for the undocumented person being deported, but the town can get fucked. After all, elections have consequences.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Flagg wrote:I feel for the undocumented person being deported, but the town can get fucked. After all, elections have consequences.
I find it funny that the angle of the article is about this poor town that lost a restaurateur, and not a long term resident being detained for an unexplained offence.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Gandalf wrote:
Flagg wrote:I feel for the undocumented person being deported, but the town can get fucked. After all, elections have consequences.
I find it funny that the angle of the article is about this poor town that lost a restaurateur, and not a long term resident being detained for an unexplained offence.
That's because undocumented filthy illegal immigrants are here to serve us and nothing more. That's why it's ok to get angry if you're in Wal-Mart and people are talking in a language you don't understand.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Khaat wrote:

Bullshit translator says: "As long as we can exploit them, they should be allowed to remain servile to us."
I think if you peel back the onion all the way, that's what you get. That said, I think there is probably genuine sadness at the fact that he seems to be a pillar of the community who was well liked and respected and he's been grabbed to sit in a detention center for however long until they send him back to his native country.

And I think in regards to the townfolk; good, serves you right to get even the slightest bit of understanding of what that's like. Of course it's nothing close to what relatives and children whose parents are undocumented but are themselves citizens by birth, but maybe some of these dickbags learned something. Though I doubt it. This will just go into the "He was one of the good ones!" section of their shit filled skulls.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

I pondered whether to start another thread, but decided it would be more appropriate here as we have another case of an idiot voting for Trump and then finding out it deports someone they know.

http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/wife-no ... -deported/
Wife Now Regrets Supporting Trump After Husband Set to be Deported
by Ronn Blitzer | 2:20 pm, March 23rd, 2017

Helen Beristain is a vocal supporter of President Donald Trump. She’s said in the past that she voted for the President because she agreed with an immigration policy that he promoted. Now, as her husband is about to be deported, her family is on the wrong side of a system she thought would spare them.

Helen’s husband, Roberto Beristain, came to the U.S. illegally from Mexico in 1998, and subsequently received documentation to work in the U.S. and has been checking in with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). But in 2000, he accidentally crossed over into Canada on a trip to Niagara Falls, and ended up being detained, and was told he had to leave the U.S. He didn’t, because Helen was pregnant at the time, according to Indiana Public Media.

Since Roberto remained in the country instead of voluntarily deporting himself, ICE then had the authority to take him into custody. When ICE stumbled upon this incident in February of this year, they did just that, and sent him from his home in Granger, Indiana, to a detention facility in Kenosha, Wisconsin. He is set to be deported on Friday.

Helen Beristain was under the impression that only dangerous criminals would be deported under the Trump administration. Despite early campaign promises to deport every undocumented immigrant from the country, Trump later appeared to soften, saying that criminals were the top priority. Now however, after more than a decade of ICE check-ins went by without a problem, and roughly two months after Trump took office, Roberto is being deported.

“[Trump] did say the good people would not be deported, the good people would be checked,” Helen said. Indeed, the mayor of neighboring South Bend, Indiana, said that Roberto, a local restaurant owner, is a model citizen “without so much as a traffic ticket against his name.” Many conservative neighbors have supported him as well.

In addition to Helen, Roberto will be leaving behind four daughters and 20 employees.
So dumb bitch voted for Trump and now her husband is deported. If I had a dollar for everyone who didn't have sympathy for an issue until it starts affecting them.

This is mean spirited, but you know what, no sympathy. Karma's only a bitch if you are one.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I do feel bad about it. Not just for her husband, and their children, but for her as well.

Having your family torn apart is more than sufficient punishment for one bad choice.

Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kane Starkiller »

mr friendly guy wrote:So dumb bitch voted for Trump and now her husband is deported.
:lol: :lol: Yeah that's exactly the sequence of events. It's not that the guy actually broke the law or anything.
I mean what is it with these stupid people voting for a guy that now actually started enforcing border control??? How stupid are they? What's next, a dumb bitch votes for stricter tax law enforcement only to find her husband sent to jail because it turned out he cheated on taxes?
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Kane Starkiller wrote:
mr friendly guy wrote:So dumb bitch voted for Trump and now her husband is deported.
:lol: :lol: Yeah that's exactly the sequence of events. It's not that the guy actually broke the law or anything.
I mean what is it with these stupid people voting for a guy that now actually started enforcing border control??? How stupid are they? What's next, a dumb bitch votes for stricter tax law enforcement only to find her husband sent to jail because it turned out he cheated on taxes?
Yeah the sequence of events is, big bang, stars form, supernovae to create heavier elements, elements form earth, abiogenesis, dinosaurs, human evolution blah blah, this guy gets born, breaks the law, his wife votes for Trump and he gets deported. Oh wait, do you seriously think no one here realises he was an illegal immigrant or we are just hiding it and it took your superior detective work to catch us in this dastardly act.

The point which seems to fly over your head, is that its stupid when you vote against your own interest. The other point is that for his crime, the adverse consequence of the punishment seems quite high compared to his crime. You see, with conservatards fuck those people right? Sure the costs seems a little bit steep for the crime, but fuck them. Unless I am affected, then poor me.

Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

mr friendly guy wrote:Yeah the sequence of events is, big bang, stars form, supernovae to create heavier elements, elements form earth, abiogenesis, dinosaurs, human evolution blah blah, this guy gets born, breaks the law, his wife votes for Trump and he gets deported. Oh wait, do you seriously think no one here realises he was an illegal immigrant or we are just hiding it and it took your superior detective work to catch us in this dastardly act.

The point which seems to fly over your head, is that its stupid when you vote against your own interest. The other point is that for his crime, the adverse consequence of the punishment seems quite high compared to his crime. You see, with conservatards fuck those people right? Sure the costs seems a little bit steep for the crime, but fuck them. Unless I am affected, then poor me.
Whoa there how did you manage to cover the entire history of the universe and still fail to address my point?
Yes I know that you know that he was an illegal immigrant, it's in the article you posted. I have faith you have read it. :D
The point of tax evasion analogy was to introduce a hypothetical involving another non violent crime and how no one would have created threads about dumb bitches getting their husbands in jail because tax evasion laws were more harshly enforced.

P.S. Do you, like, have any self awareness? You accuse "conservatards" about only caring about themselves but this woman opposed illegal immigration on the matter of principle and then suffered personally because someone close to her broke the law. "Conservatard" thing to do would be to cover for her husband and fuck the illegal immigration problem in general right :)
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

No she backed harsher immigration wnforcement because she thought her family wouldnt be affected as it also explicitly states in the article.

She is not heroically standing for priciple over family or anything like thst.

The tax analogy only holds if they knew their partner was a tax cheat ahead of backing the stricter enforcement.
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Crazedwraith wrote:No she backed harsher immigration wnforcement because she thought her family wouldnt be affected as it also explicitly states in the article.

She is not heroically standing for priciple over family or anything like thst.

The tax analogy only holds if they knew their partner was a tax cheat ahead of backing the stricter enforcement.
The tax analogy is completely valid regardless of what her internal though processes were. She is being blamed for crimes other people committed. She apparently deserves no sympathy even though she committed no crimes whereas her husband who did commit a crime does deserve it?
Again: no one would think of calling her a dumb bitch for voting for a harsher enforcement of a tax law that got her tax evading husband in the slammer no matter what her motivation was or whether she was a hero or not.
Call me. -Batman
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Kane Starkiller wrote:The tax analogy is completely valid regardless of what her internal though processes were. She is being blamed for crimes other people committed. She apparently deserves no sympathy even though she committed no crimes whereas her husband who did commit a crime does deserve it?
Again: no one would think of calling her a dumb bitch for voting for a harsher enforcement of a tax law that got her tax evading husband in the slammer no matter what her motivation was or whether she was a hero or not.
I would. Sometimes you don't deserve much sympathy - and the stupidity is apparent. She did it with a selfish motive, because she thought it wouldn't affect her - how stupid must one be? This is exactly the attitude of every dumbass grey "willing executioner" out there, until it comes back to haunt his own life.

She broke no law, her husband did. But sure as hell she's not a clever one.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Yes, I think any situation where someone is complaining that something that they wanted to happen, actually happens would invite mockery.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Kane Starkiller wrote: Yes I know that you know that he was an illegal immigrant, it's in the article you posted. I have faith you have read it. :D
The point of tax evasion analogy was to introduce a hypothetical involving another non violent crime and how no one would have created threads about dumb bitches getting their husbands in jail because tax evasion laws were more harshly enforced.
Actually I would, if the person knew her husband was cheating on taxes and voted for someone who wanted to have stricter enforcement of said law AND (here is the important part), thought he would somehow be immune.
Kane Starkiller wrote:P.S. Do you, like, have any self awareness? You accuse "conservatards" about only caring about themselves but this woman opposed illegal immigration on the matter of principle and then suffered personally because someone close to her broke the law. "Conservatard" thing to do would be to cover for her husband and fuck the illegal immigration problem in general right :)
Kane, so close yet so far. She didn't vote just because of principle, she voted because she thought it wouldn't apply to her. From the article's opening paragraph "Now, as her husband is about to be deported, her family is on the wrong side of a system she thought would spare them." So yes, she didn't care about what was going to happen to others because she felt she would be immune to it. Just like conservatards.
Kane Starkiller wrote:The tax analogy is completely valid regardless of what her internal though processes were. She is being blamed for crimes other people committed. She apparently deserves no sympathy even though she committed no crimes whereas her husband who did commit a crime does deserve it?
What? I am going to be generous and assume you misunderstood rather than a blatant strawman. I am not blaming her for crimes her husband committed. I am mocking her for voting Trump, even though Trump said he was going to do deportations , AND then acting surprise when it happens to her husband when she knew he was an illegal.