The New Space Race?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

The New Space Race?

Post by TimothyC »

Between American Public and Private spaceflight.

On one hand we have President Trump pushing for the first flight of SLS-Orion to be crewed:
Joel Achenbach for the Washington Post wrote:President Trump has indicated that he wants to make a splash in space. During his transition, he spoke with historian Douglas Brinkley about John F. Kennedy's famous 1961 vow to go to the moon before the decade was out. Now Trump and his aides may do something very similar: demand that NASA send astronauts to orbit the moon before the end of Trump's first term — a move that one Trump adviser said would be a clear signal to the Chinese that the U.S. intends to retain dominance in space.

NASA already has a plan to launch its new, jumbo Space Launch System (SLS) rocket with an Orion capsule on top in late 2018, a mission known as EM-1. No one would be aboard. The capsule would orbit the moon and return to Earth, splashing down in the ocean.

This is intended as the first test flight of SLS and part of the integration of the new rocket and new capsule. Significantly, the SLS and Orion are both still under construction.

According to current plans, a crewed mission, EM-2, would not be launched until several years later under the NASA timeline — certainly not during Trump's current term. That crewed mission would also orbit the moon.

But on Wednesday, NASA's acting administrator, Robert Lightfoot, sent a letter to employees saying he'd instructed the top NASA official for human spaceflight, associate administrator William Gerstenmaier, to explore the feasibility of adding astronauts to the EM-1 flight.

Lightfoot wrote: “I know the challenges associated with such a proposition, like reviewing the technical feasibility, additional resources needed, and clearly the extra work would require a different launch date. That said, I also want to hear about the opportunities it could present to accelerate the effort of the first crewed flight and what it would take to accomplish that first step of pushing humans farther into space.”

This is, by NASA standards, a bombshell announcement, because major missions involving new hardware and astronauts are typically planned many years in advance. Rush jobs are not NASA's way.

At the same time, NASA officials and space policy experts understand that Trump wants to do something dramatic. Scott Pace, head of the Space Policy Institute at George Washington University, said earlier this week, “There is strong interest in finding significant near-term accomplishments that can be done in the first term.”

Bob Walker, an adviser to the Trump transition team and a former congressman who chaired the House Science Committee, said Tuesday: “What I hear being discussed is the potential for sometime within the first Trump term being able to go and do an Apollo 8 mission" -- meaning a lunar orbit mission like the one performed by Apollo 8 in December 1968.

“This would be another precursor to ultimately landing. And I think sometime within a second Trump term, you could think about putting a landing vehicle on the moon,” Walker said.

“It's also a demonstration of our technological competence. At some point, I think the Chinese need to awaken to the fact that the U.S. does intend to maintain its pre-eminence in space. I can guarantee you that if we don’t go ahead and do a program like this, the Chinese are headed in that direction.”

But Walker did not say such a mission would necessarily have to use NASA's SLS rocket and Orion capsule. Entrepreneurial space companies, including Elon Musk's SpaceX and Jeffrey P. Bezos's Blue Origin, are planning their own heavy-lift rockets. (Bezos owns The Washington Post.)

Newt Gingrich, an influential adviser to Trump when it comes to space issues, is among those pushing for a more entrepreneurial space program. In an email to The Washington Post, Gingrich, who said he was on a trip to Antarctica, blasted NASA for becoming an agency that avoids risk, and said the space program should leverage the enthusiasm and money of the many billionaires interested in commercializing space.

“The key is to liberate space from government monopoly and maximize the inventive entrepreneurial spirit of the Wright brothers, Edison, Ford and other classic Americans,” Gingrich wrote. “Done properly we can be on the moon in President Trump's first term and orbiting Mars by the end of his second term.”

Here is the full “Agency Update” sent to NASA employees by Lightfoot:
Good morning! As I've discussed before, we continue working closely with the transition team. The members of the team are excited to be a part of this great agency and everyone is committed to keeping you informed of developments. I know you’ve been reading a lot in the media and hearing from colleagues about what may or may not be our future direction. I want you to know that when those decisions are made, you’ll hear it from me.

From my interactions with the transition team, NASA is clearly a priority for the President and his administration. Since most of you weren’t able to join me today at the Space Launch System/Orion Suppliers Conference, I wanted to share what I told that group. I told them how critical their work is to our future — to the nation’s future and our next giant leaps in exploration.

I shared that we've already hit a lot of milestones, and the next ones are on the close horizon. It’s a testament to your hard work that we were able to say that last year, and we’re confidently able to say it again this year.

The magnitude of what we’re doing with SLS and Orion is incredible, as are the capabilities we’re creating for this nation, which will take humans farther than we ever have before.

At NASA, we’re leveraging the very best the country has to offer on this work, and it’s advancing the national economy.

As the Acting Administrator, my perspective is that we are on the verge of even greater discoveries. President Trump said in his inaugural address that we will “unlock the mysteries of space.” Accordingly, it is imperative to the mission of this agency that we are successful in safely and effectively executing both the SLS and Orion programs.

Related to that, I have asked Bill Gerstenmaier to initiate a study to assess the feasibility of adding a crew to Exploration Mission-1, the first integrated flight of SLS and Orion. I know the challenges associated with such a proposition, like reviewing the technical feasibility, additional resources needed, and clearly the extra work would require a different launch date. That said, I also want to hear about the opportunities it could present to accelerate the effort of the first crewed flight and what it would take to accomplish that first step of pushing humans farther into space. The SLS and ORION missions, coupled with those promised from record levels of private investment in space, will help put NASA and America in a position to unlock those mysteries and to ensure this nation’s world pre-eminence in exploring the cosmos.

There has been a lot of speculation in the public discourse about NASA being pulled in two directions — what has come before and what we want to do now. At NASA, this is an “and” proposition, not an “or.” To get where we want to go, we need to work with the companies represented at the SLS and Orion suppliers conference AND those industry partners that work with us in other areas across the country — all of whom have the long-term view on this work. We must work with everyone to secure our leadership in space — and we will.

This is indeed an exciting time for our agency, and I know all of us share in this enthusiasm. I admire your passion and energy, and I want you to know how important you are to the success of the team and to the future of NASA. Your innovation and creative thinking will drive America’s influence in the coming years and decades.

Stay focused. Thanks for all you are doing every day, and I will share more with you in future updates.
And on the other hand, SpaceX now has paying customers for an around-the-moon flight on a Dragon/Falcon Heavy:
Merrit Kennedy for NPR wrote:The private company SpaceX has announced that it plans to send two passengers on a mission beyond the moon in late 2018.

If the mission goes forward, it would be the "first time humans have traveled beyond low Earth orbit since the days of Apollo," as NPR's Nell Greenfieldboyce told our Newscast unit.

The two private citizens approached the company about the idea and have already paid a sizable deposit, CEO Elon Musk told reporters in a conference call. These private individuals will also bear the cost of the mission.

"I think this should be a really exciting mission that hopefully gets the world really excited about sending people into deep space again," Musk said. As the company puts it: "This presents an opportunity for humans to return to deep space for the first time in 45 years and they will travel faster and further into the solar system than any before them."

The plan for this private mission is to send the two people to loop around the moon and then return to Earth. They will not land on the moon's surface.

As Nell explained, SpaceX "builds rockets and capsules that have taken cargo to the International Space Station for NASA." SpaceX plans to use its Falcon Heavy rocket, which is set to launch its first test flight this summer. Next year, prior to the moon mission, it plans to start crewed missions by taking NASA astronauts up to the ISS.

That's a lot of ground to cover before this mission can take place, as George Washington University's John Logsdon, an expert in space policy and history, told Nell.

"Introducing this into the mix raises a fair amount of questions, but it's an exciting prospect," Logsdon said. "SpaceX is notorious or notable, depending on how you want to think about it, for setting very ambitious schedules and usually not meeting them." He added that historically, SpaceX has eventually followed through on what it said it was going to do.

The moon mission vehicle is designed to be automated, Musk told reporters, but the passengers will be trained in emergency procedures in case there is a problem.

The individuals involved in the mission "are entering with their eyes open knowing that there is some risk here," Musk said.

NASA has congratulated SpaceX on "reaching higher." In a statement, the agency said:
"NASA is changing the way it does business through its commercial partnerships to help build a strong American space economy and free the agency to focus on developing the next-generation rocket, spacecraft and systems to go beyond the moon and sustain deep space exploration."
SpaceX has seen some recent setbacks, including multiple delays launching and docking a capsule on the International Space Station earlier this month. It succeeded last week.

SpaceX said other potential customers have also expressed interest and it expects to launch further missions.

And it's worth noting that this is far from the most ambitious goal that Musk has proposed. Last September, he unveiled plans to colonize Mars by sending at least 1 million humans there to establish a self-sustaining city.
Can I get a Hell Yeah!?
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Re: The New Space Race?

Post by SpottedKitty »

TimothyC wrote:Can I get a Hell Yeah!?
Nothing would delight me more, if I could. I can't. A political decision, so close to launch, to "make the first flight manned"...? That's the sort of thinking that led to The Fire (the Apollo 1 disaster fifty years ago last month, for those who forgot). We were lucky everything went right with Apollo 8. We were luckier than anyone deserves that everything went wrong with Apollo 13 at exactly the right time, otherwise a recovery would have been impossible. Baby steps might be tedious, but they're safer in the long run. And in this case, I'll take "safer later" over "spectacular now".

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled."
(The closing sentence to Richard Feynman's appendix to the report on the Challenger disaster.)
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

In this, I'm rooting for private enterprise, as I do not wish for Trump to be able to claim such a legacy, and I do not wish for space advocacy to become even more heavily tied to the Right than, in my experience, it already is.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Any Trump support of NASA will last only as long as it takes him to realize that NASA contributes to climate research.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Something was nagging at me, and I just realised; has anyone heard of SpaceX actually building Dragon capable of doing a Moon return re-entry? Experience with Apollo showed that a return from the Moon is much hotter than a plain low orbit re-entry (although it turned out the Apollo CM was a bit over-engineered for that, and would have been just as safe with less weight put into heat shielding). I haven't come across any mention of separate Dragon versions for LEO and deep-space operations, and it would be an additional headache for man-rating anyway to have two different ones.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Imperial528 wrote:Any Trump support of NASA will last only as long as it takes him to realize that NASA contributes to climate research.
Nah, they'll more likely just scrap NASA's climate research programs and concentrate on the ones that serve more militaristic/nationalist ends.

A more accurate conclusion would probably be that Trump's support will last as long as it benefits Trump. His ego, his wealth, or his power.

Or until Putin tells him to knock it off. :wink:

But you're right that Trump is an unreliable ally, for any government program.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

From the first glance this looks like once again a President kicking long-term plans into overdrive and gambling with the projects for short-term hope of recapturing old glory.

Expansion into space needs to happen longer term planning than the current president's time in office. I would like to note that Trump is not the first to do this and will not be the last.

Does the Chinese space program reshuffle its plans and timetables every time there is a new government?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Zixinus wrote:From the first glance this looks like once again a President kicking long-term plans into overdrive and gambling with the projects for short-term hope of recapturing old glory.

Expansion into space needs to happen longer term planning than the current president's time in office. I would like to note that Trump is not the first to do this and will not be the last.

Does the Chinese space program reshuffle its plans and timetables every time there is a new government?
Probably not much at all, largely because they don't have to win a popular vote every 2-6 years depending on office. When it comes to long term planning, democracies are inherently inferior. as we see with everything from space exploration to climate change or deficit spending. It is far too easy to kick the problems to the next person to hold your office while you reap short term benefits. Despite being mentioned as something that would improve Congress, term limits would only make this worse.

At this point I suspect NASA is going to loose a fair bit of prestige against Space X, assuming none of their manned rockets explode. NASA would be fools to use a manned rocket without proper testing, but like with Challenger, they may not have much of a choice politically. I recall there were rumors about pressure to have the launch occur before the State of the Union, so that Reagan could talk with McAuliffe during his speech and make a big splash, but I cannot recall if it was substantiated in Feynman's account.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Nah, they'll more likely just scrap NASA's climate research programs and concentrate on the ones that serve more militaristic/nationalist ends.
That's the problem, basically anything NASA does in earth orbit will produce data relating to the climate, and NASA will not take kindly to politicians dictating what data they can and can't collect.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yeah, I expect leaks a-plenty from NASA if Trump orders them to suppress data.

SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Adam Reynolds wrote:I recall there were rumors about pressure to have the launch occur before the State of the Union, so that Reagan could talk with McAuliffe during his speech and make a big splash, but I cannot recall if it was substantiated in Feynman's account.
It's not in the Rogers Commission Report appendix, it deals mainly with Feynman's unique slant on risk assessment and statistics, and why they were so routinely misused by management. It's pretty widely accepted, though, that during the last go/no go decision teleconference before launch, the sentence, "When do you want us to launch, next April?" was used. So yes, there was a lot of pressure to launch, but the SotU timing was only part of it. Management wanted too hard for the easy/cheap/safe myth to be true.

(For the curious, the appendix was published in the collection of Feynman articles, The Pleasure Of Finding Things Out.)
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

SpottedKitty wrote:Something was nagging at me, and I just realised; has anyone heard of SpaceX actually building Dragon capable of doing a Moon return re-entry? Experience with Apollo showed that a return from the Moon is much hotter than a plain low orbit re-entry (although it turned out the Apollo CM was a bit over-engineered for that, and would have been just as safe with less weight put into heat shielding). I haven't come across any mention of separate Dragon versions for LEO and deep-space operations, and it would be an additional headache for man-rating anyway to have two different ones.
Minimum thickness requirements for the heat shield on Dragon are enough for a Moon return. They literally can't build it thin enough to only be good for LEO return.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

All I'm getting from the first article is that Trump has demanded that NASA does a thing. Is there an increase in governmental funding to make it possible, or is this one of those "If Leader demands it, then it shall be done!" sort of things?

Maybe at this rate the space program will be funded privately, and mankind shall be on Mars: A Pepsi Planet within a decade.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Gandalf wrote:All I'm getting from the first article is that Trump has demanded that NASA does a thing. Is there an increase in governmental funding to make it possible, or is this one of those "If Leader demands it, then it shall be done!" sort of things?
Best case scenario, Trump makes an uninformed demand of NASA, NASA politely declines, nothing happens.

Most probable, Trump does the same thing, can't get the budget increase that NASA would need to do it, and tells them to cut corners or other programs in order to satisfy his demands, and NASA squirms a bit to stay in good graces but otherwise tries to keep its budget plan on the same track because every time it changes all of the affected programs incur greater future costs.

Worst case scenario, Trump pushes hard enough that he causes a second Challenger. This is especially concerning given that he wants NASA's first SLS flights to be manned.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Even if we assume the iron law of aerospace program holds (every big new program is delayed by at least 2-3 years) and the NASA and SpaceX manned lunar orbiters only fly in 2020-2021, that's still pretty good time.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Imperial528 wrote:Any Trump support of NASA will last only as long as it takes him to realize that NASA contributes to climate research.
Nah, they'll more likely just scrap NASA's climate research programs and concentrate on the ones that serve more militaristic/nationalist ends.
They might want to, but as this article suggests, it's not as easy as it sounds.
Adam Reynolds wrote:
Zixinus wrote:From the first glance this looks like once again a President kicking long-term plans into overdrive and gambling with the projects for short-term hope of recapturing old glory.

Probably not much at all, largely because they don't have to win a popular vote every 2-6 years depending on office. When it comes to long term planning, democracies are inherently inferior. as we see with everything from space exploration to climate change or deficit spending. It is far too easy to kick the problems to the next person to hold your office while you reap short term benefits. Despite being mentioned as something that would improve Congress, term limits would only make this worse.
This doesn't necessarily have to be the case with democracies in general, because democracies don't necessarily have to have an election every 2-6 years. That's what happens in practice now, but there's no particular reason why a democracy can't have elections every, say, 20-30 years.
The Romulan Republic wrote:Yeah, I expect leaks a-plenty from NASA if Trump orders them to suppress data.
But how do you tell real leaks from fake leaks and conspiracy theories? I was thinking of blogs which have been semi-reliable leakers of scientific findings in the past but then I remembered one of them is run by a climate change denier (lubos motl).