Michael Flynn has resigned

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Michael Flynn has resigned

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Lord Revan wrote:I could see pardoning Trump (assuming he's empeached and convicted) as case of "dammed if you do, dammed if you don't", with Trump having burnt so many bridges in a pyromanic glee that anyone related to his inner circle is seen as toxic (politically speaking) they'll have no easy way of not loosing the 2020 elections short of not having elections in 2020 (or having a parody of an elections where the outcome is clear before a single vote is cast) and I dout the anyone in Trump's inner circle really has enough support in the right places to be able to commit such an obvious coup.
They'll likely have all sorts of voter suppression (and possibly media censorship) laws in place, and possibly a Supreme Court willing to back them up.

Likewise, I'm skeptical of the House's willingness to vote to impeach Trump (I think if a strong case were made on certain allegations, most notably the claim of collaboration with Russia, you could get the necessary three Republican Senators to vote to convict). Though its not impossible.

But voter/media suppression might not be enough if their's a big enough pubic backlash against Trumpolini's regime, and an outright coup/seizing power by force would be difficult to pull off even if we presume they want to. Trump is pissing all over the intelligence agencies, so other than possibly his lickspittles in the FBI, he shouldn't expect much support from that quarter. Likewise, California, and probably some other states, would probably attempt to secede if it came to that (which hopefully it never will).
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

One meta observation: I find it quite telling how not one of the conservative posters who were all up in arms about how Hillary uses a private email server apparently found it worth posting in a thread about Flynn doing far worse things.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Why does every thread about Trump always seem to bring up impeachment and then likely outcomes of said process? I think we're being far too optimistic here. The only audience republicans in congress have to placate is their base who think Trump is doing great. Primary challenges are all they care about so can we stop acting like impeachment is anything but a remote possibility already?
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Raj Ahten wrote:Why does every thread about Trump always seem to bring up impeachment and then likely outcomes of said process? I think we're being far too optimistic here. The only audience republicans in congress have to placate is their base who think Trump is doing great. Primary challenges are all they care about so can we stop acting like impeachment is anything but a remote possibility already?
Republican voters as a whole are far from universal in supporting Trump. Even those who do support Trump personally frequently don't actually like him.

That said, I share your skepticism.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Non-Trump supporters want him gone from office asap, and impeachment is pretty much the only legal way to do it. Although I agree with the sentiment, odds are pretty low.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Tribble wrote:Non-Trump supporters want him gone from office asap, and impeachment is pretty much the only legal way to do it. Although I agree with the sentiment, odds are pretty low.
There is one more legal route.
U.S. Constitution, 25th Amendment, Section 4 wrote:Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.

Thereafter, when the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that no inability exists, he shall resume the powers and duties of his office unless the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive department or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit within four days to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office. Thereupon Congress shall decide the issue, assembling within forty-eight hours for that purpose if not in session. If the Congress, within twenty-one days after receipt of the latter written declaration, or, if Congress is not in session, within twenty-one days after Congress is required to assemble, determines by two-thirds vote of both Houses that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall continue to discharge the same as Acting President; otherwise, the President shall resume the powers and duties of his office.
It would be difficult to convince an objective observer that President Trump is able to discharge the powers and duties of his office, in my opinion, but still, until he does something completely beyond the pale, good luck with this one.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Thanas wrote:One meta observation: I find it quite telling how not one of the conservative posters who were all up in arms about how Hillary uses a private email server apparently found it worth posting in a thread about Flynn doing far worse things.
Because so far nobody has pointed to any law or regulation he has broken, or any privileged information he has betrayed or jepardized.

He lied to his boss, misled if you are inclined to be charitable which I am not. Resigning is the appropriate thing to do unless your boss really wants you to stay on.

He did what he did and has lost his job over it. There is nothing else to do about it. There is nothing else that can be done about it.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Thanas wrote:One meta observation: I find it quite telling how not one of the conservative posters who were all up in arms about how Hillary uses a private email server apparently found it worth posting in a thread about Flynn doing far worse things.
Well one is a conservative President Pussygrabber bootlick, and the other is a powerful woman accused of everything including murder, but the only thing they could get to kinda-sorta stick was some bullshit about emails that after a couple years of conservatives and enemies in her own party parroting each other seemed maybe a bit corrupt if you squint real hard. Frankly, if it hadn't been for a Donnie Douchebag crony in the FBI no one would've remembered the constant Democratic primary refrain of "What about the emails!? Those email indictments are coming any day now!"

Since she lost the election and thus has no power to "bury" the email "wrongdoing" or the "indictments", then you'd think they would have been delivered and the major national news story would be jury selection in the people vs Hillary Rodham Clinton, as opposed to whether Trump doesn't care about Jews, or actively hates them.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Patroklos wrote:Because so far nobody has pointed to any law or regulation he has broken, or any privileged information he has betrayed or jepardized.

He lied to his boss, misled if you are inclined to be charitable which I am not. Resigning is the appropriate thing to do unless your boss really wants you to stay on.

He did what he did and has lost his job over it. There is nothing else to do about it. There is nothing else that can be done about it.

I just find it fascinatng that a huge attack on Clinton was that she was unfit for the job because she behaved carelessly and the same charges are not levelled at Flynn, who flat out said to a foreign enemy government "don't worry what our current administration is doing we will reverse it". I mean if that is not unpatriotic and conduct unbecoming then what is?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Thanas wrote:
Patroklos wrote:Because so far nobody has pointed to any law or regulation he has broken, or any privileged information he has betrayed or jepardized.

I just find it fascinatng that a huge attack on Clinton was that she was unfit for the job because she behaved carelessly and the same charges are not levelled at Flynn, who flat out said to a foreign enemy government "don't worry what our current administration is doing we will reverse it". I mean if that is not unpatriotic and conduct unbecoming then what is?
Not to be too flippant, buf if a Democrat had done it. And that is really the sad state of affairs.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

The utter hypocrisy of the American right is not surprising, though it does seem to be reaching fever pitch levels.

Benghazi - worthy of dozens of hearings. But Trump getting an American killed in Yemen due to shoddy planning and execution? Nah, nothing wrong with that at all. If that Yemen raid had happened under Obama, the right would have done the same thing they did for Benghazi - drag it through as meany hearings as they could to try and prove malfeasance, while intentionally spreading misinformation to the media about it. But since Trump did it, it is swept quickly under the rug and dismissed with vague mutterings of, "Shit happens."

Trump's staff using a private e-mail server? Who cares? It's only a massive breach of law, policy, ethics, etc. when Killary does it!
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Sorry for unclear rambling posts, my teeth have infected the right side of my face and I'm not "all there, there". I'll try to post less, if at all until improved. :oops: :cry:
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I'm not sure, in 1974, what fraction of the American public wanted Nixon punished, versus the fraction that simply wanted him gone.

I know that there is, today, a political movement that will want Trumpolini punished (I'm a part of it, because our laws against conflicts of interest, against corruption, against ignoring the courts and discriminating illegally have to mean something damn it).

There will, again, be another fraction that simply wants him gone (e.g. most of the Republican Party, by the time it comes to a question of impeachment proceedings).

I can see the precedent of 1974 being dominant, but I can also see the game changing. Among other things, because Ford was generally agreed not to be complicit in Nixon's crimes. By contrast, Pence may (or may not) have to step carefully to avoid getting caught up in the scandals surrounding the Trump administration, and that may impact what he does.
Raj Ahten wrote:Why does every thread about Trump always seem to bring up impeachment and then likely outcomes of said process? I think we're being far too optimistic here. The only audience republicans in congress have to placate is their base who think Trump is doing great. Primary challenges are all they care about so can we stop acting like impeachment is anything but a remote possibility already?
There are a lot of states where a lot of voters didn't show up to the 2016 election at all, or simply couldn't stomach voting for Trump.

If the word on the street is "Trump is a criminal, Representative Smith is sheltering him," that could bring a lot of voters to the polls against Smith. And suppression or no suppression, the House does wobble back and forth, and more registered voters showing up can upset districts that are supposed to be "safe" in that they reliably produce 55% majorities in favor of one party or the other.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

First, Vympel, apologies for the delayed response. To respond:
Vympel wrote:No, its a conspiracy theory, designed for by political hacks for the consumption of partisan idiots. I see no reason to mince words.
So it would appear that, contrary to what you subsequently claim, you are in fact arguing that the allegations of inappropriate ties to/collusion with Russia on the part of the Trump campaign are an effort to frame Trump/Putin ("designed... by political hacks" would imply a deliberately fabricated story, not merely a faulty conclusion). An effort that would have to involve numerous members of the intelligence community, from multiple agencies, as well as high-level Obama administration officials and Democrats.

This is a far more radical claim than any, I believe, that I am advancing. I am simply contending that their are ties between the Trump campaign/administration and Russia (fact), clear, highly-publicized public displays of sympathy between the two (fact), that Russian hacking/leaks were used to manipulate the media on Trump's behalf (something that is widely accepted and confirmed by multiple intelligence agencies, though I don't doubt that you will continue to dismiss their conclusions), and that while none of this is proof of collusion between Trump and Russia, it is enough for a reasonable person to be suspicious and want further investigation.

You are the one insisting that any such allegations must be false, and so self-evidently false that only a partisan propagandist or a conspiracy theorist would advance them.

Such a claim demands evidence.
For the avoidance of doubt, the conspiracy theory I'm speaking of is: the notion that Trump and Russia colluded to undermine Hillary's campaign.
At least we're on the same page as to what is being debated, then.
The accusations against Trump re: NATO are total bullshit. He has simply made mainstream what foreign policy wonks have been talking about for years - namely, that the US pays a disproportionate amount of NATO's commitments, that other countries are not meeting theirs, and that NATO is obsolete since the Cold War and requires reform. These are not 'pro-Russian' arguments, though they were characterised as such by the Clinton campaign and wilfully swallowed by an understandably hostile national security media.
He, and others close to him (perhaps most recently his Sec Def- we have a thread on it currently) have suggested cutting funding for NATO/support to NATO allies, which as I understand it would be effectively reneging on our treaty obligations.
Rubbish. To quote Glenn Greenwald:
So, literally, the lead story in the New York Times today suggests, and other people have similarly suggested it, that Trump was literally putting in a request to Putin for the Russians to cyberattack the FBI, the United States government, or get Hillary Clinton’s emails. That is such unmitigated bullshit. What that was was an offhanded, trolling comment designed to make some kind of snide reference to the need to find Hillary’s emails. He wasn’t directing the Russians, in some genuine, literal way, to go on some cybermission to find Hillary’s emails. If he wanted to request the Russians to do that, why would he do it in some offhanded way in a press conference? It was a stupid, reckless comment that he made elevated into treason.
Glenn Greenwald has his own biases. Given his close ties to the Snowden case, I would not be surprised to find that he has an inherent distrust of anything coming from the US intelligence community, and a predisposition to side with their accusers.

Now, I could buy that Trump's one comment in question, by itself, was a simple joke in very, very poor taste, but it does not exist in isolation.

No doubt if serious requests were made, they were made behind the scenes. But Trump has a habit of flaunting his misdeeds in public, in what is arguably a very deliberate strategy of what TV Tropes might call "Refuge in Audacity"- of being so brazen in his bullshit that its impossible to call him on it. See his bragging (on tape, to a reporter) about sexually harassing and assaulting women, or his bragging about getting away with not paying taxes that I recall coming up during the election.

Remember that this is a man who famously bragged that he could publicly shoot someone and not lose a vote. This is what Trump does.

I do agree with Greenwald on one point, though: what Trump did was not treason. Treason has a very, very specific definition. Possibly conspiracy to commit espionage against the US though, or whatever the correct legal term for that is.
Which individuals? What Russian officials? What was said, and about what? Because Flynn's conversation with the Russian Ambassador was totally innocuous and clearly aimed at reducing tensions with Russia. If the Trump administration was at all competent, they would have simply ignored the ginned up hysteria in Washington and said "yes, Flynn did talk to Russian officials, we want to hit the ground running on improving relations."
It is inappropriate for a private citizen to negotiate with a foreign government in a manner undermining the current administration. Flynn and his boss were not yet in office at the time.

It is also demonstrative of the sympathies and ties that exist between the Trump camp and Putin's regime.
Again - there's a reason the leakers aren't releasing the transcripts and only leaking vague details. Its not hard to figure out.
Perhaps because their is an ongoing investigation, and they don't want to reveal everything they know yet? Or because some of the sources are classified/undercover?

This is classic conspiracy theorist rhetoric by the way- make vague insinuations meant to imply a conclusion (the presence of the conspiracy/fraud) that "we all know", while offering a conspicuous lack of specifics.
They weren't improper at all. Even Michael McFaul, Obama's ambassador to Russia, stated as such:

https://twitter.com/McFaul/status/831364994709151744

They were made improper because the Washington establishment has decided that even talking to Russian diplomats in a remotely conciliatory manner is treasonous, because "they hacked the election". Its utterly absurd.
What do you mean by hacking the election?

If you mean actually hacking voting machines to change the results, no one prominent, to my knowledge, is alleging that. I am certainly not doing so. I suspected it at the time, but I freely acknowledge that their is no proof of it.

If you mean hacking the DNC to leak material that would be damaging to Clinton, then yes. That's pretty much established fact.

As to McFaul- well, their may be differences of opinion within an administration. Or perhaps the ambassador to Russia was trying to be, you know, diplomatic toward Russia? Just speculating.
There's no remotely compelling evidence whatsoever that Trump is a Russian puppet. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't know anything about geopolitics or international relations. If Trump was a Russian puppet, the very last thing he would be doing is packing his administration with Iran hardliners, because a hard line stance against Iran is fundamentally incompatible with Russian interests. That's just a matter of objective fact. This isn't a case of 'framing' Trump in some sort of vast conspiracy, but a case of individuals within the IC seeking to undermine his appointees and administration generally with selective leaks of truthful, context-free information.
The Iran issue has already been addressed by another poster, so I'll leave that and move on to the next point.

You are right that we do not, as yet, have inarguable proof of collusion. But their are reasons, besides dishonesty, why the full evidence might not yet have been revealed, and their is enough circumstantial evidence to make people suspicious.

To my knowledge, also, the American intelligence community is not in the habit of openly trying to undermine a sitting President, certainly not in so public a manner and to the point of insinuating that he is guilty of espionage against his own country. It does not make sense that they would do so without what they believe to be very strong grounds.

It makes even less sense that the notoriously cautious and compromising Obama would support such an effort.

I will concede that "puppet" may have been too strongly worded, if only because Trump is too much of a raging narcissist to be effectively controlled by anyone. But their is at least significant evidence that Trump has close ties to Russia, and that Russia deliberately, and illegally, aided his campaign because they felt that doing so would suite their interests.
There's nothing 'automatic' about my dismissal. Its based on a careful evaluation of the actual facts rather than hyperbolic insinuations about them.
It is not hyperbolic to look at the pattern of public sympathy between Russia's government and the Trump campaign/administration, the ties some of his people have to Russia (most notably perhaps Manafort, who previously worked with the Russian puppet regime in the Ukraine), and the Russian hacks of the DNC, and conclude that their may have been collusion, and that the evidence is enough to warrant further investigation.

I am aware that I have a reputation for hyperbole on this board. But I will remind you that these same allegations have been advanced by people who are respected professionals in their field, and do not have the same reputation for hyperbole. Certainly Obama does not have a reputation for hyperbole, and I can scarcely imagine the cautious compromiser who occupied the White House before Trump ordering an investigation into these allegations on a whim, or for purely partisan reasons.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

The thing is though, assuming the Russian hack of the DNC happened, there's still a decent amount of (circumstantial) evidence that the CIA were trying to undermine Trump. Why should the CIA make this information public? Doesn't airing the fact that you know about this hack damage any counter-intelligence efforts on Russia? Furthermore, the FBI undermined Clinton during the election, and my understanding is that different intelligence agencies in the US don't like each other very much, so airing this information relating to Trump might form some kind of revenge for them. When it comes to Obama: well, once the information is public he doesn't have much choice but to act on it, does he?
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Flagg wrote:Sorry for unclear rambling posts, my teeth have infected the right side of my face and I'm not "all there, there". I'll try to post less, if at all until improved. :oops: :cry:
Left side, not right. Feels like every nook and cranny of bone that (I assume) pus can get into and accumulate, (especially in the jaw hinge, under teeth, and anywhere else) is excruciating and my bottom left teeth feel like they are going to start shooting out like bullets.

Thanks, Johnson & Johnsom!
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Under the circumstances, Flagg, I'd say your posting is amazingly good. I'm sorry this has happened, for what it's worth.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Thanas wrote:I just find it fascinatng that a huge attack on Clinton was that she was unfit for the job because she behaved carelessly and the same charges are not levelled at Flynn, who flat out said to a foreign enemy government "don't worry what our current administration is doing we will reverse it". I mean if that is not unpatriotic and conduct unbecoming then what is?
Because I never backed Trump of Flynn. That said....

I find the use of personal email for official use abhorrent and I condemn such by this administration. And Trump really needs someone to take away his phone and replace it with one that looks like it works, but doesn't actually connect to the internet.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

TimothyC wrote:And Trump really needs someone to take away his phone and replace it with one that looks like it works, but doesn't actually connect to the internet.
Why take it away now? Hilarious ranting on Twitter helped him win over the GOP and become their nominee for the big chair. That same ranting saw him get a ton of electoral votes. It's part of his political brand, in that he speaks directly to the public without a filter.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

We have a tweeting president. Who randomly tries to tweet corporations to death when they dissociate themselves from his name because of the divisiveness caused by his earlier tweets. Then tweets to whine about the journalists who call him out on the tweeting of the corporations, and so on.

His supporters in Middle America got what they wished for. A man with no filters and so very, very much that should be filtered. If we're lucky, some of them will contract a case of buyer's remorse when they see the results. Or at least those of their friends and neighbors who sat the election out will try to get the goods returned.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

The Romulan Republic wrote:First, Vympel, apologies for the delayed response. To respond:
So it would appear that, contrary to what you subsequently claim, you are in fact arguing that the allegations of inappropriate ties to/collusion with Russia on the part of the Trump campaign are an effort to frame Trump/Putin ("designed... by political hacks" would imply a deliberately fabricated story, not merely a faulty conclusion). An effort that would have to involve numerous members of the intelligence community, from multiple agencies, as well as high-level Obama administration officials and Democrats.
Not at all. All you need is petulant pundits and reporters to abandon all sense of journalistic standards whenever a story about Trump and Russia appears. Take for example the false story about the nefarious link between a Trump server and a Russian bank.There's no need for some common, overarching conspiracy. There are various competing interests in trumpeting this nonsense.
This is a far more radical claim than any, I believe, that I am advancing. I am simply contending that their are ties between the Trump campaign/administration and Russia (fact), clear, highly-publicized public displays of sympathy between the two (fact), that Russian hacking/leaks were used to manipulate the media on Trump's behalf (something that is widely accepted and confirmed by multiple intelligence agencies, though I don't doubt that you will continue to dismiss their conclusions)
- Ties between the Trump campaign and Russia - highly common in political campaigns. The Hillary campaign had 'ties' with, amongst other countries- Poroshenoko's Ukraine. So what?
- Highly-publicized (by the media) public displays of sympathy - drastically overblown. For example, Putin's supposed 'endorsement' of Trump was a mistranslated, but hey who cares.
- Russian hacking / leaks - Leaving aside the difficulties in cyber attribution, absolutely no intelligence agency of any kind has proffered the slightest shred of actual evidence for what they claim - whether that's in relation to the hacking itself or the motives for the hacks. In the latter case, any remotely competent Russia expert who saw the 'report' these clowns put out in January and see what utter bullshit they offered as part of their oh-so-serious conclusion that Russia 'hacked the election' to help Donald Trump.

That 'unquestioningly trust intelligence agencies' has become a supposedly liberal value in the aftermath of their electoral annihilation is one of the darkest things about this election.
and that while none of this is proof of collusion between Trump and Russia, it is enough for a reasonable person to be suspicious and want further investigation.
There's nothing wrong with further investigation of the 'hacking', provided the findings are open to public scrutiny. So far, that simply hasn't happened.
You are the one insisting that any such allegations must be false, and so self-evidently false that only a partisan propagandist or a conspiracy theorist would advance them.
Yes, I think that anyone who sincerely thinks Trump and Putin are in league to destroy America has been - at best - thoroughly propagandised by a Democratic party desperate to exculpate itself for its defeat to an orange TV baboon in a manner which ensures that they all get to keep their jobs and change nothing about how their party operates and whom it serves.
Such a claim demands evidence.
No more than denouncing a 9/11 conspiracy theorist really requires evidence. It's nice to offer specific factoids to rebut individual nonsensical claims that form part of the conspiracy, but its not strictly necessary.
He, and others close to him (perhaps most recently his Sec Def- we have a thread on it currently) have suggested cutting funding for NATO/support to NATO allies, which as I understand it would be effectively reneging on our treaty obligations.
There's no obligation on the part of the US to maintain funding for NATO or nebulous "support for NATO allies" at a certain level. The US could drastically cut both - move all military bases out of Europe - and still be bound to come to their defence.
Glenn Greenwald has his own biases. Given his close ties to the Snowden case, I would not be surprised to find that he has an inherent distrust of anything coming from the US intelligence community, and a predisposition to side with their accusers.
Everyone should have an inherent distrust for anything coming from the US intelligence community. They are some of the most pernicious liars in the Western world, and the source for illegal arms deals, torture, drug smuggling, assassination, right-wing coups, and all other manner of illegality. The notion that these odious organizations are owed some measure of public trust is laughable. In Obama's administration alone, both John Brennan and James Clapper lied to Congress' face (a felony) about their spying programs targeting - surprise surprise - Congress. Both got to keep their jobs. Oh, and they also said that Iraqi WMD claims were a 'slam dunk'. These people are not your friends.
Now, I could buy that Trump's one comment in question, by itself, was a simple joke in very, very poor taste, but it does not exist in isolation.

No doubt if serious requests were made, they were made behind the scenes. But Trump has a habit of flaunting his misdeeds in public, in what is arguably a very deliberate strategy of what TV Tropes might call "Refuge in Audacity"- of being so brazen in his bullshit that its impossible to call him on it. See his bragging (on tape, to a reporter) about sexually harassing and assaulting women, or his bragging about getting away with not paying taxes that I recall coming up during the election.

Remember that this is a man who famously bragged that he could publicly shoot someone and not lose a vote. This is what Trump does.
So I guess that means he actually did shoot someone? This is a ridiculous thing to hang your argument on.
I do agree with Greenwald on one point, though: what Trump did was not treason. Treason has a very, very specific definition. Possibly conspiracy to commit espionage against the US though, or whatever the correct legal term for that is.
The idea that Trump's random ass troll comment about Russians finding Hillary's emails was some sort of admission is the stuff of deeply deluded establishment Democrat fever-dreams. Its the kind of folklore that birthers consoled themselves with during the Obama years.

(also it shouldn't need saying that Trump wasn't admitting, in his mind, 'sexually harassing and assaulting women'. Such a pig would never dream that such a thing was inappropriate. Nor is paying very little in tax illegal.)
It is inappropriate for a private citizen to negotiate with a foreign government in a manner undermining the current administration. Flynn and his boss were not yet in office at the time.
There's no evidence that Flynn 'negotiated' anything. Nor does something being 'inappropriate' indicate much of anything.
It is also demonstrative of the sympathies and ties that exist between the Trump camp and Putin's regime.
Trump has never been shy about wanting to improve relations with Russia - it adds nothing to point out that Flynn when speaking to the Russian ambassador spoke in a conciliatory manner.
Perhaps because their is an ongoing investigation, and they don't want to reveal everything they know yet? Or because some of the sources are classified/undercover?
No, and no. The great thing about these flagrantly leaks is that - for once - the tired 'oh, we have to protect our sources and methods' that intelligence agencies use to shield their bullshit from scrutiny doesn't apply. The news about Flynn comes from telephone intercepts/recordings. The source/method is known. There is no obstacle to leaking the whole transcript of the phone call. By leaking details they have already committed a felony, there is no reason not to - except for the reasons already stated.
This is classic conspiracy theorist rhetoric by the way- make vague insinuations meant to imply a conclusion (the presence of the conspiracy/fraud) that "we all know", while offering a conspicuous lack of specifics.
As above.
What do you mean by hacking the election?

If you mean actually hacking voting machines to change the results, no one prominent, to my knowledge, is alleging that. I am certainly not doing so. I suspected it at the time, but I freely acknowledge that their is no proof of it.
Releasing information from John Podesta's emails and the DNC. But 'hacked the election' sounds sexier, which is probably why a disturbing number (50%) of Clinton voters thinks the Russians actually hacked vote totals.

https://today.yougov.com/news/2016/12/2 ... ical-iden/
If you mean hacking the DNC to leak material that would be damaging to Clinton, then yes. That's pretty much established fact.
Not by reference to any actual compelling evidence available to the public, it isn't. I don't think its particularly unlikely, but as a matter of principle it does not merit automatic belief.
As to McFaul- well, their may be differences of opinion within an administration. Or perhaps the ambassador to Russia was trying to be, you know, diplomatic toward Russia? Just speculating.
He's a former ambassador.
The Iran issue has already been addressed by another poster, so I'll leave that and move on to the next point.

You are right that we do not, as yet, have inarguable proof of collusion. But their are reasons, besides dishonesty, why the full evidence might not yet have been revealed, and their is enough circumstantial evidence to make people suspicious.

To my knowledge, also, the American intelligence community is not in the habit of openly trying to undermine a sitting President, certainly not in so public a manner and to the point of insinuating that he is guilty of espionage against his own country. It does not make sense that they would do so without what they believe to be very strong grounds.

It makes even less sense that the notoriously cautious and compromising Obama would support such an effort.

I will concede that "puppet" may have been too strongly worded, if only because Trump is too much of a raging narcissist to be effectively controlled by anyone. But their is at least significant evidence that Trump has close ties to Russia, and that Russia deliberately, and illegally, aided his campaign because they felt that doing so would suite their interests.
The intelligence community isn't in the habit of openly undermining a sitting President because a sitting President hasn't openly attacked them and undermined their preferred policies. It was no less than Sen. Chuck Schumer who said that Trump was very stupid for going after the intelligence agencies because they have six ways from Sunday at getting back at you.
It is not hyperbolic to look at the pattern of public sympathy between Russia's government and the Trump campaign/administration, the ties some of his people have to Russia (most notably perhaps Manafort, who previously worked with the Russian puppet regime in the Ukraine)
Yanukovych's government in Ukraine was never a 'puppet regime' of Russia, though it suited the Clinton campaign and its absurd conspiracy mongering as if it was, knowing that America's idiotic press would never bother to report on the veracity of such a claim. If Ukraine was a 'puppet regime' under Russia, then Ukraine would never have finalized negotiations to join the EU association agreement under his government. He repeatedly played the EU and Russia against the other to get the best possible outcome for Ukraine throughout his administration.
and the Russian hacks of the DNC, and conclude that their may have been collusion, and that the evidence is enough to warrant further investigation.

I am aware that I have a reputation for hyperbole on this board. But I will remind you that these same allegations have been advanced by people who are respected professionals in their field, and do not have the same reputation for hyperbole. Certainly Obama does not have a reputation for hyperbole, and I can scarcely imagine the cautious compromiser who occupied the White House before Trump ordering an investigation into these allegations on a whim, or for purely partisan reasons.
Obama has certainly never suggested that Trump is colluding with Russia, AFAIK.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Simon_Jester wrote:Under the circumstances, Flagg, I'd say your posting is amazingly good. I'm sorry this has happened, for what it's worth.
The funniest part is the mesh killing my teeth that is supposed to be holding my guts in has failed so miserably the hernia is larger than ever. In fact its failed so horribly that my abdominal muscles are on my sides, giving me no front support, so I can't sit upright in a chair for more than 10 minutes in even a desk chair, and can't walk for more than 15-30 minutes without horrible pain.

And no surgeon will touch me for a (reasonable) fear that at best (and that's at very, very, best due to my immune system being shot on hopes I wont get sepsis and die) the surgery will cause no more harm and at worst will cause more bowel obstructing scar tissue if I survive the 4 day recovery in hospital.

But they are getting me a back brace that I'm hoping without expectation will work. If that's a thing. :lol:
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Simon_Jester wrote:
There are a lot of states where a lot of voters didn't show up to the 2016 election at all, or simply couldn't stomach voting for Trump.

If the word on the street is "Trump is a criminal, Representative Smith is sheltering him," that could bring a lot of voters to the polls against Smith. And suppression or no suppression, the House does wobble back and forth, and more registered voters showing up can upset districts that are supposed to be "safe" in that they reliably produce 55% majorities in favor of one party or the other.
Well why would any of that be a concern before the midterms? We are still looking at 2 years of Trump even assuming there is some sort of grand political awakening. The number of house and Senate seats that would have to change for an impeachment to happen is also frankly staggeringly high. What's to say more people don't just tune out and don't vote, especially in the red leaning gerrymandered districts democrats would need to win in for impeachment to be realistic? Another problem here is who exactly do we expect to do any real investigation of Trump's administration? The media can be safely ignored by the GOP as the fake news bubble will protect their key voters and alienate the rest. A couple of GOP senators is not enough to drive anything meaningful, even if we assume McCain and the rest are serious about it which is far from clear given how they are voting so far. Party loyalty is all that matters the modern GOP now. The same problem goes for the 25th amendment solution being suggested. It's pretty laughable to think Trump's own cabinet would vote to remove him. Are we just to ignore all the reports about Trump having a hard time filling posts because he insists on selecting for loyalty above all?

Unless we see a major crises being obviously and disastrously mishandled I see little hope for impeachment before the midterms at the earliest. By obviously mismanaged I mean we'd have to see lots of Americans dieing on TV.
More likely is voting him out after 4 years when republican policies are truly biting home and truly screwing everyone by that point. The midterms may not be enough time for their dismantling of government and services to be obviously bad. Just look at how long Kansas has been pursuing it's small government agenda before being forced to modify it ever so slightly.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Simon_Jester wrote:We have a tweeting president. Who randomly tries to tweet corporations to death when they dissociate themselves from his name because of the divisiveness caused by his earlier tweets. Then tweets to whine about the journalists who call him out on the tweeting of the corporations, and so on.

His supporters in Middle America got what they wished for. A man with no filters and so very, very much that should be filtered. If we're lucky, some of them will contract a case of buyer's remorse when they see the results. Or at least those of their friends and neighbors who sat the election out will try to get the goods returned.
It's not just Middle America that got what they wanted. It's the wider GOP itself. They had every chance to stop him during the primaries, but they stuck with him and now he's the GOP's responsibility.

The one upside of this is that his incessant and unfiltered ranting across media might help discredit the GOP with those who aren't willing to pander to neo-Nazis for easy votes. Also the world gets easier access to the comedy of US politics.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

As I've said, the Republican Party leadership has put a lot of time and effort into creating a framework of media and popular support that would let them run certain kinds of candidates and easily sweep certain states. All the candidate has to do is blow the right dogwhistles, tell the right big lies, strut and posture with the right kind of machismo. Any question of their fitness for office is bypassed in the thought process of the Republican base- because they push the buttons Fox has been wiring up since the '90s.

Bush the Younger was the quintessential example of this kind of candidate.

What I'm not sure the Republican leadership realized until Trump started building momentum was that anyone can do this, it doesn't have to be a candidate who was pre-vetted or pre-approved by the RNC. Anyone can tell those lies, blow those dogwhistles, and so on.

Cue Donald Trump, who's been building up his image of sleazy macho pseudo-Randist wheeler-dealer screw-you-I've-got-mine for decades. He was exactly the sort of man who could do that harder than anyone the RNC had prepared to climb into the ring with him. The kind of person who thought Bush Junior was a good president was almost certain to think Trump would make a great president, because Trump is in many ways an exaggerated version of Bush. Trump projects bigger images of the same strengths that Republican voters saw in Bush Junior, while having bigger versions of the same weaknesses that Republican voters have been conditioned to minimize or ignore.*

The Republican Party has been building a Trump-shaped hole into which they've been placing almost-Trump candidates for twenty years now.

*The only conspicuous difference I see is in Trump's bullying pettiness, and in his approach towards women. But neither of those is on the list of things that Republican base voters actually look at when their buttons are being pushed. They don't care if their candidate is a bully or a womanizing creep, as long as he tells the right lies and beats his chest loudly on the issues they've been told are threatening their notion of America.