Hans Rosling dead

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Hans Rosling dead

Post by mr friendly guy »

Shit. I loved this guy in his TED talk.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38900572
Hans Rosling: Data visionary and educator dies aged 68
7 February 2017

Hans Rosling, a Swedish professor of global health and well-known public educator, has died aged 68, his Gapminder foundation has announced.
Mr Rosling was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer a year ago and died in Uppsala, Sweden.
He was known for lively presentations that used data and animation to explain global development in a compelling way.
His Gapminder co-founders said that they would continue to fight for "his dream of a fact-based worldview".
Mr Rosling was a professor of global health at Sweden's Karolinska Institute but decided to "drop out" in 2007 to dedicate his time to Gapminder, which allows users to create their own data visualisations.
Hans Rosling: Five ways the world is doing better than you think
The Joy of Stats: 200 countries, 200 years, 4 minutes
He co-founded the foundation with his son Ola Rosling and daughter-in-law Anna Ronlund in 2005.

In a statement announcing his death, they said the time he dedicated to Gapminder "made him a world-famous public educator, or Edutainer as he liked to call it".
Hans Rosling became widely known after a talk he gave at a Technology, Entertainment, Design (TED) conference in 2006 called "The best statistics you've never seen" was watched millions of times online.
In it, he used animated bubble charts to show how developing countries were catching up in development indicators with the West, presenting in the style of a sports commentator.

Mr Rosling presented Don't Panic: The Truth About Population on BBC2 in 2013, which included a demonstration of how British university graduates would be outperformed by chimpanzees in a test of knowledge about developing countries.
He enjoyed debunking myths about the changing world, including fears of massive overpopulation due to decreasing child mortality.
"I've watched people have this 'aha' moment when Hans speaks," Melinda Gates of the Gates Foundation told the journal Nature last year. "He breaks these myths in such a gentle way. I adore him."
Gapminder was set up to provide a view of the world different to that which most people would imagine from reading news headlines, its website says.
Facts, Mr Rosling believed, could correct "global ignorance" about the reality of the world, which "has never been less bad".
The Swedish professor was listed as one of Time's 100 Most Influential People globally in 2012 and gave advice to charity leaders, technology company executives and globe-trotting politicians like Al Gore.
I never even knew he was sick.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Hans Rosling dead

Post by Thanas »

That sucks I love his presentations about the developing world.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

Post by Rhadamantus »

I'll be sorry to see him gone.
"There is no justice in the laws of nature, no term for fairness in the equations of motion. The Universe is neither evil, nor good, it simply does not care. The stars don't care, or the Sun, or the sky.

But they don't have to! WE care! There IS light in the world, and it is US!"

"There is no destiny behind the ills of this world."

"Mortem Delenda Est."

"25,000km is not orbit"-texanmarauder
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Distinctly below average news
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I like the person and what he did for visualizing statistics - rest in peace.

Unfortunately, statistics are becoming more and more irrelevant as people get overwhelmed by numbers, but incapable of analyzing them due to a lack of overall solid erudition and education.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

K. A. Pital wrote:I like the person and what he did for visualizing statistics - rest in peace.

Unfortunately, statistics are becoming more and more irrelevant as people get overwhelmed by numbers, but incapable of analyzing them due to a lack of overall solid erudition and education.
he was invaluable for unwinding the narrative of 'poor africa' and decades of aid raising behind pictures of starving orphans.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Pancreatic cancer is supposedly the deadliest cancer (or the hardest to cure)