Trump Dump: Foreign Policy (Thread I)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Re: Trump Dump: Foreign Policy (Thread I)

Post by madd0ct0r » 2019-08-22 10:43am

So between this and pretending interest in buying greenland, what is the bad news he í trying to bury?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee

Lost Soal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lost Soal » 2019-08-22 11:06am

Probably his attempt to pull out of the Flores Agreement which can then be used as the justification for ignoring their recent court loss which says they can't treat migrant children like battery chickens (my paraphrasing).
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2019-08-23 06:20am

Which is part of a whole spree of down-right despotic immigration policy moves of late:

-Another attempt at pulling out of Flores so they can lock up children indefinitely (which he is trying to sell as keeping families together, instead of how the nasty Obama administration would separate them- a lie, of course).

-Another crack at revoking birthright citizenship (so he can ethnically cleanse citizens).

-Wanting to allow immigrants to settle only in specific cities or states, which would ultimately mean the death of freedom of movement within the United States.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver: https://youtube.com/watch?v=zxT8CM8XntA

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2019-08-23 06:58am

US withdraws from international postal union- a 145 year old treaty regulating mail between countries:

https://naco.org/blog/us-withdrawal-int ... nistrators
KEY TAKEAWAYS
Implications of U.S. withdrawal from Universal Postal Union remains uncertain for counties mailing ballots to military members and American citizens living overseas
On October 17, 2018, President Trump announced plans to withdraw the United States from the Universal Postal Union (UPU), a United Nations agency that facilitates collaboration of postal services between 192 member countries by establishing multilateral agreements and regulating international mail traffic. The administration cited concerns over terminal due rates as the primary reason for the withdrawal and hopes to establish self-declared rates for small packages to ensure American businesses remain competitive in the e-commerce marketplace. As required under the Union’s constitution, the announcement and notice to the UPU initiated a one-year withdrawal process during which the United States can renegotiate terms before the exit becomes final on October 17, 2019.

If the withdrawal takes effect in October, the United States would need to negotiate bilateral agreements with countries that carry American mail. This potentially lengthy process could create complexities that include delayed delivery, increased customs scrutiny and higher costs. The full impact of a U.S. withdrawal from this 145-year treaty remains uncertain, particularly as it relates to election mail.

IMPACT ON MILITARY AND OVERSEAS VOTERS
Military service members, their eligible dependents and U.S. citizens living abroad face unique challenges in participating in our elections. The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) estimates that about three-quarters of the 1.3 million active duty service members and three million other U.S. citizens across 170 countries are covered under the Uniformed Overseas Citizen Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA), which allows these citizens to vote absentee while away from their voting jurisdiction.

One of the largest barriers for UOCAVA voters is the transit time to receive and return a ballot, which can vary depending on ballot delivery method, submission options allowed by state law, duty location and internet connectivity. As primary administrators of our nation’s elections, counties are responsible for transmitting and processing military and overseas ballots. To allow extra time and mitigate possible delivery issues, federal law requires these ballots be transmitted no later than 45 days before federal elections. In the 2016 presidential election, counties sent nearly a million absentee ballots to UOCAVA voters. Most ballots are returned to the county through postal mail.

As many counties prepare to mail UOCAVA ballots in mid-September for state and local elections this November, any disruption to the mail service could negatively impact the ability for military members, their spouses and other overseas citizens to participate. Additionally, a U.S. withdrawal from the UPU this October could have even broader implications on the 2020 primaries and presidential election.

NEXT STEPS
On September 24-25, the UPU will convene an Extraordinary Congress to consider proposals related to terminal dues. If a resolution is not reached, the U.S. will withdraw from the union on October 17. The U.S. Postal Service has indicated it is making necessary preparations for a withdrawal, though USPS has not indicated how reliable delivery and return of UOCAVA ballots factors into their planning decisions.
And why would the Trump Regime engage in such an utterly brain-dead move? Well, if its not obvious, read this bit again:
As many counties prepare to mail UOCAVA ballots in mid-September for state and local elections this November, any disruption to the mail service could negatively impact the ability for military members, their spouses and other overseas citizens to participate. Additionally, a U.S. withdrawal from the UPU this October could have even broader implications on the 2020 primaries and presidential election.
So yeah. Voter supression of absentee votes.

As an absentee voter myself, I am absolutely fucking livid over this. This is a direct attack on my voting rights, and those of millions of other Americans living abroad.

I advise anyone voting from overseas to request their ballot far in advance to avoid any issues.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver: https://youtube.com/watch?v=zxT8CM8XntA

houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 » 2019-08-23 07:48am

Aren't most military members Republican? This seems like a rather dumb move if so.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2019-08-23 07:52am

houser2112 wrote:
2019-08-23 07:48am
Aren't most military members Republican? This seems like a rather dumb move if so.
Could backfire, perhaps. But non-military overseas voters tend to be disproportionately Democrat (for example, Democrats Abroad has branches in countries all over the world, while to my knowledge there is no equivalent Republican organization). There was an effort by the Trumpers to keep absentee votes from being counted in close races in 2018, as well.

In either case, its a stupid move that will make it harder for people to vote.

Edit: This could hurt Bernie in the primaries, too, as (at least in 2016) he had a lot of support from military members.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 » 2019-09-09 03:30pm

Law and Crime
U.S. Spy Extracted After Trump ‘Discussed Highly Classified Intelligence’ with Russian Officials: Report
by Jerry Lambe | 10:37 am, September 9th, 2019
submit to reddit
HELSINKI, FINLAND - JULY 16: U.S. President Donald Trump (L) and Russian President Vladimir Putin arrive to waiting media during a joint press conference after their summit on July 16, 2018 in Helsinki, Finland. The two leaders met one-on-one and discussed a range of issues including the 2016 U.S Election collusion.

The United States extracted a high-level spy who had infiltrated the Russian government due to concerns that President Donald Trump and others in the administration had, on several occasions, mishandled classified intelligence that could expose the Kremlin asset’s true identity, according to a CNN report Monday.

The secret extraction mission was reportedly ordered in May of 2017, shortly after President Trump met with Russian Ambassador to the U.S. Sergey Kislyak and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov in the Oval Office. During that meeting, Trump revealed highly classified intelligence pertaining to the terrorist group ISIS and its activities in Syria, which had been provided by Israel.

According to the report, such an operation, often referred to as “extraction” or “exfiltration,” is an “extraordinary remedy” that is reserved for circumstances wherein those atop the U.S. intelligence hierarchy believe an asset to be in imminent danger.

Reached by CNN for comment, Brittany Bramell, the CIA director of public affairs denied Monday’s reports.

“CNN’s narrative that the Central Intelligence Agency makes life-or-death decisions based on anything other than objective analysis and sound collection is simply false. Misguided speculation that the President’s handling of our nation’s most sensitive intelligence—which he has access to each and every day—drove an alleged exfiltration operation is inaccurate,” Bramell said.

Five sources who served in the Trump Administration and the intelligence community confirmed the details of the story to CNN. The news organization also withheld several details connected to the situation in order to protect the identity of the former Russian asset.

A spokesperson for Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who was the director of the CIA at the time of the reported exfiltration operation, declined to comment on CNN’s report. White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham said that CNN’s reporting was “not only incorrect, it has the potential to put lives in danger.”

The decision to extract one of the nation’s most valuable Russian spies was made despite the difficulty in cultivating such an asset.

Julia Davis
@JuliaDavisNews
After the decision to extract the spy, Trump met privately with Putin and took the unusual step of confiscating the interpreter's notes. Intel officials again expressed concern that the President may have improperly discussed classified intel w/ Russia.https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/stat ... 2555624449

Julia Davis
@JuliaDavisNews
In 2017, the US successfully extracted from #Russia one of its highest-level covert sources inside the Russian gov't, driven by concerns that Trump repeatedly mishandled classified intelligence and could contribute to exposing the covert source as a spy.https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/09/politics ... index.html
Incompetence or malice, you decide.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2019-09-09 05:05pm

Why can't it be both?

It is worth noting that if literally anyone but the PotUS pulled this shit, they'd probably be charged with espionage or similar crimes. Chelsea Manning went to prison for leaking US government secrets, and the only reason Snowden hasn't is that he's hiding out in Russia.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 » 2019-09-16 12:16am

TIME
President Trump Slaps Tariffs on Solar Panels in Major Blow to Renewable Energy

BY BRIAN ECKHOUSE, ARI NATTER AND CHRISTOPHER MARTIN / BLOOMBERG UPDATED: JULY 3, 2019 10:08 AM ET | ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED: JANUARY 22, 2018
In the biggest blow he’s dealt to the renewable energy industry yet, President Donald Trump decided on Monday to slap tariffs on imported solar panels.

The U.S. will impose duties of as much as 30 percent on solar equipment made abroad, a move that threatens to handicap a $28 billion industry that relies on parts made abroad for 80 percent of its supply. Just the mere threat of tariffs has shaken solar developers in recent months, with some hoarding panels and others stalling projects in anticipation of higher costs. The Solar Energy Industries Association has projected tens of thousands of job losses in a sector that employed 260,000.

The tariffs are just the latest action Trump has taken that undermine the economics of renewable energy. The administration has already decided to pull the U.S. out of the international Paris climate agreement, rolled back Obama-era regulations on power plant-emissions and passed sweeping tax reforms that constrained financing for solar and wind. The import taxes, however, will prove to be the most targeted strike on the industry yet.

Read More: The Trump Administration Protested When Kenya Halted a Coal-Fired Power Plant

“Developers may have to walk away from their projects,” Hugh Bromley, a New York-based analyst at Bloomberg New Energy Finance, said in an interview before Trump’s decision. “Some rooftop solar companies may have to pull out” of some states.

U.S. panel maker First Solar Inc. jumped 9 percent to $75.20 in after-hours trading in New York. The Tempe, Arizona-based manufacturer stands to gain as costs for competing, foreign panels rise. First Solar didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. The Solar Energy Industries Association also didn’t immediately respond.

The first 2.5 gigawatts of imported solar cells will be exempt from the tariffs, Trump said in a statement Monday. The president approved four years of tariffs that start at 30 percent in the first year and gradually drop to 15 percent.

The duties are lower than the 35 percent rate the U.S. International Trade Commission recommended in October after finding that imported panels were harming American manufacturers. The idea behind the tariffs is to raise the costs of cheap imports, particularly from Asia, and level the playing field for those who manufacture the parts domestically.

For Trump, they may represent a step toward making good on a campaign promise to get tough on the country that produces the most panels — China. Trump’s trade issues took a backseat in 2017 while the White House focused on tax reform, but it’s now coming back into the fore: The solar dispute is among several potential trade decisions that also involve washing machines, consumer electronics and steel.

Read More: A Coal Executive Switched to Building Solar Plants. Now He’s Worried Trump Will Hurt His Business

“It’s the first opportunity the president has had to impose tariffs or any sort of trade restriction,” Clark Packard, a trade policy expert at the R Street Institute in Washington, said ahead of the decision. “He’s kind of pining for an opportunity.”

Trump’s solar decision comes almost nine months after Suniva Inc., a bankrupt U.S. module manufacturer with a Chinese majority owner, sought import duties on solar cells and panels. It asserted that it had suffered “ serious injury” from a flood of cheap panels produced in Asia. A month later, the U.S. unit of German manufacturer SolarWorld AG signed on as a co-petitioner, adding heft to Suniva’s cause.

An attorney for Solarworld didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Suniva had sought import duties of 32 cents a watt for solar panels produced outside the U.S. and a floor price of 74 cents a watt.

While Trump has broad authority on the size, scope and duration of duties, the dispute may shift to a different venue. China and neighbors including South Korea may opt to challenge the decision at the World Trade Organization — which has rebuffed prior U.S.-imposed tariffs that appeared before it.

Lewis Leibowitz, a Washington-based trade lawyer, expects the matter will wind up with the WTO. “Nothing is very likely to stop the relief in its tracks,” he said before the decision. “It’s going to take a while.”

The solar industry may also attempt a long-shot appeal to Congress.

“Trump wants to show he’s tough on trade, so whatever duties or quotas he imposes will stick, whatever individual senators or congressmen might say,” Gary Hufbauer, a Washington-based senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics, said by email before the decision.
Because hey, why let us be energy independent when we can pay more for the tools to even try to do so?

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy » 2019-09-16 06:18am

Lets be fair to Trump on solar tariffs, the US did worse under Obama
In 2012
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... 9U20120517
Under the decision, 59 Chinese solar companies that petitioned the U.S. government in the case will also face an import duty of about 31 percent, including Yingli Green Energy, LDK Solar, Canadian Solar, Hanwha Solar One, JA Solar Holding and Jinko Solar.
31% is more than Trump's 30%, and that was in 2012 when as per the article, Chinese companies accounted for 60% of the market.'

In 2014
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/17/busi ... anels.html
The department announced anti-dumping duties of 26.71 percent to 78.42 percent on imports of most solar panels made in China, and rates of 11.45 percent to 27.55 percent on imports of solar cells made in Taiwan. In addition, the department announced anti-subsidy duties of 27.64 percent to 49.79 percent for Chinese modules.
I am no mathematical genius, but I am pretty sure those numbers add up to more than the 30% Trump put on there.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to.
Australia, Canada, China, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.