Trump Dump: Foreign Policy (Thread I)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, SCRawl, Thanas, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Trump Dump: Foreign Policy (Thread I)

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2019-04-23 02:37am

US threatens to veto a UN resolution against sexual violence as a tactic in war:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/22/politics ... index.html
(CNN)The US delegation to the United Nations has threatened to veto a resolution aiming to prevent rape as a weapon of war and to help its victims, because the resolution contains language about "sexual and reproductive health," sources confirmed to CNN.

A UN-based source told CNN the US seems to have a "red line" when it came to mentioning sexual and reproductive health in a broad resolution that saw the US breaking from its traditional allies and threatening to derail the measure. The proposal called on the global institution to reaffirm and renew its opposition to sexual violence.

A copy of the draft UN Security Council resolution obtained by CNN shows the potential changes to the document, marked in the margins by a member of the German delegation to the UN, in an attempt to satisfy the US' problems with it, according to multiple sources.

The edits, marked by Andreas Glossner, vice chair of the UN's Commission on the Status of Women, include removing references to "health services" and the "sexual and reproductive health" of victims of sexual violence.

The Trump administration has taken measures to avoid supporting efforts and organizations that provide abortion services to women, including victims of rape, and sources say such language is now viewed by the US as a veiled reference to that.
But the draft also showed an unexplained suggested change in one section -- again, sources say, to satisfy the Americans -- striking a line stating that the UN "further encourages support to and training of journalists on sexual violence in conflict and post-conflict situations and gender inequality."

The UN-based source said one possible replacement line to the draft does include a reference to an older UN resolution that did mention reproductive health, and hoped the compromise would help the resolution move forward.

US allies, according to sources, had no problem with the original language in the resolution, but said the US had instead joined with Russia and China in removing another section on sexual violence that would have established a new mechanism to monitor and report such atrocities.

The Guardian was first to report on US issues with the resolution.

A US mission spokesperson, speaking on background, told CNN, "Our diplomatic negotiations are confidential, and we cannot comment on a draft resolution that is still being actively negotiated."

The opposition from the US over this resolution echoed previous such moments at the UN during the Trump administration.
Last year, a Trump administration appointee to the State Department tore into routine UN documents that condemned racism as a threat to democracy, taking issue with the use of the words nationalism, populism and xenophobia.

"The drafters say 'populism and nationalism' as if these are dirty words," wrote Andrew Veprek in documents CNN obtained last year.

In another episode reminiscent of the recent clash on the sexual violence resolution, the US reportedly threatened nations in an effort to water down a resolution supporting breastfeeding, which baby formula producers opposed. According to The New York Times, the US delegation threatened retribution on trade and military aid to Ecuador to get the nation to drop the resolution and at least a dozen countries also avoided the resolution out of fear of the US.
So yeah- better that women be raped than that they be allowed access to reproductive health care, according to the Trump Regime. Or even that there be any mention of women's reproductive health issues at all.
"Well, Grant, we've had the devil's own day, haven't we?"

"Yes. Lick 'em tomorrow though."

-Generals Sherman and Grant, the Battle of Shiloh.

"They are nearer to me than the other side, in thought and sentiment, though bitterly hostile personally. They are utterly lawless - the unhandiest devils in the world to deal with - but after all their faces are set Zion-wards."- Lincoln on radical Abolitionists.

"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?"-Terry Pratchett's DEATH.

I am a dual citizen of the US and Canada.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2019-04-26 06:53pm

Trump has announced (to a no-doubt gleeful NRA) that he is withdrawing the US from a UN arms-trade treaty:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/trump-tell ... -1.4396279

More blood for the blood god, I guess.

Remember how Trump was totally going to be non-interventionist and keep us out of foreign wars? Well, that was bullshit, as Yemen and his threats towards NK and Venezuela showed, but good news! We don't have to fight in wars ourselves- we'll just making a fortune selling weapons to all sides!

"They are nearer to me than the other side, in thought and sentiment, though bitterly hostile personally. They are utterly lawless - the unhandiest devils in the world to deal with - but after all their faces are set Zion-wards."- Lincoln on radical Abolitionists.

"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?"-Terry Pratchett's DEATH.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 » 2019-05-02 10:41pm

Trump proves he knows better than the experts by blatantly ignoring them: Time
President Trump Is Spending $20 Billion on an Aircraft Carrier. The Navy Wanted That Money for Cybersecurity
The U.S. warship U.S.S. Harry S. Truman is pictured anchored in The Solent on October 8, 2018 near Portsmouth, England.
The U.S. warship U.S.S. Harry S. Truman is pictured anchored in The Solent on October 8, 2018 near Portsmouth, England. Matt Cardy—Getty Images
BY JOHN WALCOTT MAY 2, 2019
In March, a report to the Secretary of the Navy warned that the service is preparing for the wrong war, one fought not with bombs and artillery but with terabytes and artificial intelligence.

“We find the Department of the Navy preparing to win some future kinetic battle, while it is losing the current global, counter-force, counter-value, cyber war,” the report says.

Trump’s decision will cost the Navy more than $20 billion over the next two decades, much of which the service had planned to spend on new unmanned vessels and other advanced technologies.

“In prior eras, for good or ill, navies shifted their definition from wood to steel to wing, or from sail to steam and beyond,” the report to Navy Secretary Spencer says.

“This time technology, not the naval service, or its opponents, have imposed a definition of what navies will be for the rest of the 21st Century,” it says. “Navies must become information enterprises who happen to operate on, over, under, and from the sea; a vast difference from a 355 ship mindset.”

Trump’s abrupt April 30 decision to change a section of the Navy budget he had approved earlier this year will please many bipartisan members of Congress, some of whom had vowed to keep the Truman — and a 355-vessel fleet with 12 aircraft carriers — afloat if Trump didn’t.

The decision also is consistent with the President’s aversion to discussing cybersecurity, such as protecting the 2020 elections from hackers. Physical structures have been the foundation of his business career, and building walls and ships employs more and different workers than writing algorithms does.

The President’s decision this week, however, was made without consulting Shanahan, Spencer or Richardson, according to two Administration officials who said they, too, were “ambushed,” as one put it.

“This is not the first time we’ve seen the President make a decision or countermand an order, and it won’t be the last,” said one of the officials, who helps oversee the Defense Department budget and spoke only on the condition of anonymity. “What’s really troubling though, is that decisions like this don’t go through any kind of policy process — there’s no deliberation, no meetings, no opportunity for input from anybody who knows what they’re talking about.”

According to a report in Breaking Defense, which TIME has confirmed, Shanahan was told of Trump’s decision only about two hours before Vice President Mike Pence announced it in remarks made aboard the Truman, and Richardson had prepared testimony defending the move to retire the carrier for a Senate Defense Appropriations subcommittee on Wednesday morning.

The Navy publicly supported the decision. “The Navy looks forward to working with the White House and Office of the Secretary of Defense in support of the President’s budget,” Capt. Greg Hicks, the Navy’s acting Chief of Information, said in a statement.

But the decision to remain on course may prove costly, as the 73-page readiness report warns.

“America once won wars with overwhelming manpower, then later won with superior industrial might, and with the Cold War, won with better technology,” it says. ” The cyber war has been ongoing for some time. The threat is long past the emergent or developing stage. While its ‘guns’ go unheard, it is real, and with as or more devastating consequences.”

While the U.S. remains “relatively flat-footed,” it continues, “both Russia and China are executing well developed cyber-enabled regional and global ‘grey zone’ unconventional strategies against the U.S. and its allies”.

Already, the report says, those strategies threaten to cripple the Navy’s ability to fight, no matter how many aircraft carriers it has.

“The systems the U.S. relies upon to mobilize, deploy, and sustain forces have been extensively targeted by potential adversaries, and compromised to such as extent that their reliability is questionable,” it says.

In layman’s terms, that means the U.S. Navy, as well as the Army, Air Force, and Marine Corps, may find they can’t count on all the satellites and other technology they use to navigate, communicate, locate targets and hit them.
Trump is too senile to know that the military needs better technology to compete, or he just likes the idea of a YUGE aircraft carrier? You decide.

Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat » 2019-05-02 11:01pm

FaxModem1 wrote:
2019-05-02 10:41pm
Trump proves he knows better than the experts by blatantly ignoring them:
Trump is too senile to know that the military needs better technology to compete, or he just likes the idea of a YUGE aircraft carrier? You decide.
That sounds more like the usual DoD palace intrigues rather than anything particular Trumplandish.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf » 2019-05-02 11:23pm

Or the usual political stunts to buy votes with shows of grandeur.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin

Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire » 2019-05-03 12:22am

My read of the Navy statement is 'we hate this, and will undermine it as soon as we work out how.' Maybe I'm just too cynical?
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC » 2019-05-03 12:34am

Not going through with the ROH (Refueling and OverHaul) for Truman would result in the retirement of the ship about half way through it's 50 year expected life, and would represent a retraction from the 11 carrier force. It remains to be seen if said cut would even make it through congress in the face of Lianong and her sister combined with the Type 002 and eventual Type 003s.

I'd note that a similar stunt was pulled three or four years ago when consideration was given to not funding the ROH on the George Washington, and instead retiring her. The decision sort of strikes me as a non-story, and neither does President Trump taking credit for it. A more politically savvy president would let the credit go to the Congresscritters that put it back in the budget.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2019-05-03 01:58am

FaxModem1 wrote:
2019-05-02 10:41pm
Trump proves he knows better than the experts by blatantly ignoring them: Time
President Trump Is Spending $20 Billion on an Aircraft Carrier. The Navy Wanted That Money for Cybersecurity
The U.S. warship U.S.S. Harry S. Truman is pictured anchored in The Solent on October 8, 2018 near Portsmouth, England.
The U.S. warship U.S.S. Harry S. Truman is pictured anchored in The Solent on October 8, 2018 near Portsmouth, England. Matt Cardy—Getty Images
BY JOHN WALCOTT MAY 2, 2019
In March, a report to the Secretary of the Navy warned that the service is preparing for the wrong war, one fought not with bombs and artillery but with terabytes and artificial intelligence.

“We find the Department of the Navy preparing to win some future kinetic battle, while it is losing the current global, counter-force, counter-value, cyber war,” the report says.

Trump’s decision will cost the Navy more than $20 billion over the next two decades, much of which the service had planned to spend on new unmanned vessels and other advanced technologies.

“In prior eras, for good or ill, navies shifted their definition from wood to steel to wing, or from sail to steam and beyond,” the report to Navy Secretary Spencer says.

“This time technology, not the naval service, or its opponents, have imposed a definition of what navies will be for the rest of the 21st Century,” it says. “Navies must become information enterprises who happen to operate on, over, under, and from the sea; a vast difference from a 355 ship mindset.”

Trump’s abrupt April 30 decision to change a section of the Navy budget he had approved earlier this year will please many bipartisan members of Congress, some of whom had vowed to keep the Truman — and a 355-vessel fleet with 12 aircraft carriers — afloat if Trump didn’t.

The decision also is consistent with the President’s aversion to discussing cybersecurity, such as protecting the 2020 elections from hackers. Physical structures have been the foundation of his business career, and building walls and ships employs more and different workers than writing algorithms does.

The President’s decision this week, however, was made without consulting Shanahan, Spencer or Richardson, according to two Administration officials who said they, too, were “ambushed,” as one put it.

“This is not the first time we’ve seen the President make a decision or countermand an order, and it won’t be the last,” said one of the officials, who helps oversee the Defense Department budget and spoke only on the condition of anonymity. “What’s really troubling though, is that decisions like this don’t go through any kind of policy process — there’s no deliberation, no meetings, no opportunity for input from anybody who knows what they’re talking about.”

According to a report in Breaking Defense, which TIME has confirmed, Shanahan was told of Trump’s decision only about two hours before Vice President Mike Pence announced it in remarks made aboard the Truman, and Richardson had prepared testimony defending the move to retire the carrier for a Senate Defense Appropriations subcommittee on Wednesday morning.

The Navy publicly supported the decision. “The Navy looks forward to working with the White House and Office of the Secretary of Defense in support of the President’s budget,” Capt. Greg Hicks, the Navy’s acting Chief of Information, said in a statement.

But the decision to remain on course may prove costly, as the 73-page readiness report warns.

“America once won wars with overwhelming manpower, then later won with superior industrial might, and with the Cold War, won with better technology,” it says. ” The cyber war has been ongoing for some time. The threat is long past the emergent or developing stage. While its ‘guns’ go unheard, it is real, and with as or more devastating consequences.”

While the U.S. remains “relatively flat-footed,” it continues, “both Russia and China are executing well developed cyber-enabled regional and global ‘grey zone’ unconventional strategies against the U.S. and its allies”.

Already, the report says, those strategies threaten to cripple the Navy’s ability to fight, no matter how many aircraft carriers it has.

“The systems the U.S. relies upon to mobilize, deploy, and sustain forces have been extensively targeted by potential adversaries, and compromised to such as extent that their reliability is questionable,” it says.

In layman’s terms, that means the U.S. Navy, as well as the Army, Air Force, and Marine Corps, may find they can’t count on all the satellites and other technology they use to navigate, communicate, locate targets and hit them.
Trump isn't senile (or if he is, the fact that right now he appears to be winning in his quest to become dictator of America is even more shameful for the country). He's an asshole. People need to stop giving Trump the benefit of ignorance, stupidity, or illness. He may have all those things, but at the end of the day, he's just a piece of shit.

Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Post by Eulogy » 2019-05-30 04:18pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:
2019-05-03 01:58am
right now he appears to be winning in his quest to become dictator of America
I wouldn't quite say that he is winning. Making a lot of noise and bluster, certainly, but he'll keep shooting himself in the foot.
"A word of advice: next time you post, try not to inadvertently reveal why you've had no success with real women." Darth Wong to Bubble Boy
"I see you do not understand objectivity," said Tom Carder, a fundie fucknut to Darth Wong

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2019-05-30 08:04pm

All depends on 2020.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf » 2019-05-30 08:14pm

Like Bush II (and others, but especially Bush II), the more troubling trend is his pushing just how far the executive branch can go without being stopped.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2019-05-30 09:03pm

The power of the Executive has been slowly expanding over much of American history (particularly during and after the Civil War, and WWII), but Trump has hit the gas peddle and seems to be trying to drive it all the way to full blown autocracy (and has willing enablers in McConnel and Barr who have greatly helped him to do so).

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy » 2019-05-31 10:09am

Well Trump threatens to tariff Mexico in response to the migration issue.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-thre ... 1559260679

I believe he also has threatened to do the same to the EU over Iran.

Well he is the Tariffman, so.... :lol:
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to.
Australia, Canada, China, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2019-06-02 10:42am

Do it, Dickless. A recession will (hopefully) help ensure your defeat.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 » 2019-06-02 11:13pm

2019-06-02 10:42am
Personally, I hope someone gets him to see sense, as he won't be the only one suffering. In fact, he'll pretty much be the last to really suffer. To use a pop culture clip, recessions do bad things. If unemployment goes up, people die.

And that's assuming the Democrats are able to spin the narrative of why we're in a recession and able to vote him out, as opposed to Republicans being able to spin it as 'the enemies of America' or some other crap like that.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2019-06-03 02:56am

FaxModem1 wrote:
2019-06-02 11:13pm
2019-06-02 10:42am
Personally, I hope someone gets him to see sense, as he won't be the only one suffering. In fact, he'll pretty much be the last to really suffer. To use a pop culture clip, recessions do bad things. If unemployment goes up, people die.

And that's assuming the Democrats are able to spin the narrative of why we're in a recession and able to vote him out, as opposed to Republicans being able to spin it as 'the enemies of America' or some other crap like that.
I mean, the best theoretical outcome would be a double-impeachment of the Orange Rapist and Vice President Homophobe tomorrow, followed by speedy conviction and removal from office, and indictment of Trump for obstruction, campaign finance violation, and crimes against humanity. But that's not realistically going to happen, certainly not so soon, so if he's going to be a fucking racist asshole (and he will continue to be a fucking racist asshole), I at least hope he's a fucking racist asshole in ways that will bite him in the ass, hard. He may suffer less than some, but anything that leads to his electoral defeat will hurt him as much he can be hurt, because if he leaves office before the statute of limitations for obstruction and campaign fiance violations expires, his ass is getting indicted.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2019-06-15 07:24pm

Turns out intelligence agents have not informed Trump about cyber attacks on Russia:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... sia-848695
On Saturday, the New York Times published an important story about how the United States military branches are attempting to thwart and combat Russian cyber attacks on American utility networks and interference in elections. But deeper into the article, an interesting and disturbing nugget has drawn attention: The Pentagon has gone out of its way to keep President Donald Trump ignorant of certain details about the operation because of “the possibility that he might countermand it or discuss it with foreign officials.”

After giving an in-depth account about the “deployment of American computer code” into Russia’s electric power grid, to work as both a warning to Russian President Vladimir Putin and a more offensive posture in the cyber warfare realm, The Times then wrote:

“Two administration officials said they believed Mr. Trump had not been briefed in any detail about the steps to place ‘implants’ — software code that can be used for surveillance or attack — inside the Russian grid.

“Pentagon and intelligence officials described broad hesitation to go into detail with Mr. Trump about operations against Russia for concern over his reaction — and the possibility that he might countermand it or discuss it with foreign officials, as he did in 2017 when he mentioned a sensitive operation in Syria to the Russian foreign minister.”

New laws, enacted by Congress last year, allow such “clandestine military activity” in cyberspace to go ahead without the president’s approval. So, in this case, those new laws are protecting American interests… by keeping the sitting president out of the loop. What a (scary) time to be alive.
I feel very conflicted here. Because on the one hand, intelligence agencies absolutely should not be acting unilaterally or without oversight, especially when it involves actions that might get us into a conflict with Russia. But on the other hand... the President is a Russian asset. And even aside from that, Dickless has a history of blabbing classified information (or authorizing his AG to selectively leak it as part of a partisan witch hunt).

Ultimately, I feel that a lot of this is on Trump, for not creating a better working relationship with intelligence agencies due to his deep state crap and autocratic loyalty demands and trusting Putin more than them.

Edit: If nothing else, its reassuring to know that the intelligence community hasn't been fully purged yet. If it comes to a crisis, like Trump refusing to lawfully leave office after electoral defeat or an impeachment trial, we don't want intelligence agencies full of people who will just follow the Fuhrer's orders.