Trump Dump: Foreign Policy (Thread I)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, SCRawl, Thanas, Edi, K. A. Pital

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Re: Trump Dump: Foreign Policy (Thread I)

Post by mr friendly guy » 2018-11-27 05:27am

Trump's policy on Iran has another effect.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/26/iran-sa ... oject.html
Iran says China's CNPC replacing France's Total in gas project
China's state-owned CNPC has replaced France's Total in Iran's multibillion-dollar South Pars gas project, Iranian Oil Minister Bijan Zanganeh said, according to the semi-official news agency ICANA on Sunday.
Total, which had a 50.1 percent stake in the project, and CNPC could not immediately be reached for comment.
The French company said in August it had told Iranian authorities it would withdraw from the South Pars gas project after it failed to obtain a waiver from U.S. sanctions against Iran.
Published 7:15 PM ET Sun, 25 Nov 2018
Trump, making China great again. :lol:
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to.
Australia, Canada, China, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Post by mr friendly guy » 2018-12-04 04:58am

http://www.startribune.com/farm-bankrup ... 501157191/
Farm bankruptcies are on the rise, and bankers worry that far more are on the way

<snip>
Farm bankruptcies are on the rise in Minnesota and across the Upper Midwest.

Eighty-four farms filed for Chapter 12 bankruptcy in Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota and Montana in the 12 months that ended in June, according to a new analysis from the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. That’s more than double the number over the same period in 2013 and 2014, and the number of bankruptcies in Minnesota doubled over the past four years from eight to 20.
Farm bankruptcy on the rise
The number of farm bankruptcies in the 12 months ending in June were more than double the number of bankruptcies over the same period in 2013 and 2014, both in Minnesota and across the region.

The increase in Chapter 12 filings reflects low prices for corn, soybeans, milk and even beef. The situation for most farmers has worsened since June under retaliatory tariffs that have closed the Chinese market for soybeans and damaged exports of milk and pork.
Fighting a trade war while your farmers are hurting. A war the US started. Good idea.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf » 2018-12-04 05:09am

It's really helped Brazil's economy, and I recall reading that they can now get soybeans cheap from the US and sell higher to China.

Trump: Making Brazil Great Again.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin

mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Post by mr friendly guy » 2018-12-04 05:16am

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ut-with-xi
Trump's Advisers Struggle to Explain Deal He Says He Cut With Xi
By Shawn Donnan
4 December 2018, 06:03 GMT+8 Updated on 4 December 2018, 09:15 GMT+8
President hails ‘extraordinary’ dinner with Chinese leader
Kudlow says China made ‘commitments’ to ‘presumably implement’

President Donald Trump left his top advisers scrambling on Monday to explain a trade deal he claimed he’d struck with China to reduce tariffs on U.S. cars exported to the country -- an agreement that doesn’t exist on paper and hasn’t been confirmed in Beijing.

In the day after Trump announced the deal in a two-sentence Twitter post, the White House provided no additional information. At a briefing in Beijing, a spokesman for the foreign ministry declined to comment on any changes to car tariffs.

Questioned about the agreement on Monday, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and Trump’s top economic adviser, Larry Kudlow, dialed back expectations and added qualifiers.
Well yes, of course the dinner with the Chinese leader was "extraordinary." Their Argentine hosts most probably served him something other than MacDonalds. :lol:

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Devotee

Post by U.P. Cinnabar » 2018-12-04 11:29am

Well-done steak slathered in ketchup.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2018-12-14 02:20am

The Senate has voted in favour of Bernie Sanders and Mike Lee's bill, blaming Crown Prince bin Salman for the murder of Khashoggi, and ending US support for the Saudi war against Yemen:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46561520
The US Senate has voted to withdraw US military aid for Saudi Arabia's war on Yemen and to blame the kingdom's crown prince for the murder of a journalist.
The historic vote is the first time any chamber of US Congress has agreed to pull US forces from a military conflict under the 1973 War Powers Act.
Some of President Donald Trump's fellow Republicans defied him to pass the measure with Democrats by 56-41.
But the resolution is seen as largely symbolic and unlikely to become law.
Senators rebuke Trump with Yemen vote
Jamal Khashoggi: The story so far
What did the Senate actually do?
The non-binding "war powers resolution" calls upon President Trump to remove all American forces engaging in hostilities in Yemen, except for those combating Islamist extremists.
The Senate then unanimously passed a resolution blaming Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for Washington Post reporter Jamal Khashoggi's murder in October, and insisting that the kingdom hold accountable those responsible.
The US chose to cease refuelling Saudi war planes last month, and Thursday's resolution - if it were ultimately passed into law - would prohibit that practice from resuming.
Mohammed bin Salman shakes hands with Donald Trump in the White HouseImage copyrightREUTERS
Image caption
President Trump has consistently defended US business and military ties with Saudi Arabia
What did senators say?
Independent Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders, who co-sponsored the measure with Republican Mike Lee of Utah, hailed the vote.
ADVERTISEMENT

"Today we tell the despotic government of Saudi Arabia that we will not be part of their military adventures," he said.
He described the outcome as a signal to "the world that the United States of America will not continue to be part of the worst humanitarian disaster on the face of the earth".
Republican Senator Bob Corker told MSNBC: "If he was before a jury, the crown prince, he would be convicted in my opinion in 30 minutes."
Presentational grey line
Status quo no longer acceptable
Analysis by Barbara Plett, BBC State Department Correspondent
The two resolutions send a strong message that for a majority of senators, the status quo with Saudi Arabia is no longer acceptable.
They value the strategic relationship but are deeply uneasy about the leadership of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. They have viewed his foreign interventions with growing concern, especially the human cost of the war in Yemen.
But it was the grisly murder of Jamal Khashoggi that tipped the scales: it dramatically increased support for the resolution to withdraw US military support for the Saudi-led campaign in Yemen, something that failed to pass earlier in the year. Many senators saw the Khashoggi killing as the blatantly egregious act of an ally that felt immune from rebuke.
And they were dismayed when the administration stood staunchly by the prince without censure, even though the CIA concluded he probably ordered the killing. Senators want to see the administration shape the alliance as the senior partner, and enforce red lines.
Senior Republican Senator Bob Corker noted recently that much of the bipartisan activism in the Senate had been fuelled by a perception that there iss no balance between values and interests in the administration's policies.
Presentational grey line
Can this legislation become law?
President Trump has vowed to veto the measure, and it is unlikely right now to pass the House of Representatives, which on Wednesday blocked a vote on the matter.
But Senator Sanders said he expects the resolution to succeed once Democrats formally take over control of the House in January following their mid-term elections victory.
The Trump administration had argued the bill would undercut US support for the Saudi-led coalition against Iranian-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen.
White House officials have emphasised US economic ties to the kingdom. Mr Trump's adviser and son-in-law, Jared Kushner, has continued to cultivate ties with the prince, according to the US media.
Why the battle for Hudaydah matters
Why is there a war in Yemen?
What's the latest in Yemen?
A ceasefire agreed by the warring parties on Thursday has come into effect in the country's main port, Hudaydah.
A bomb strike in Yemen in MarchImage copyrightGETTY IMAGES
After the deal was reached in Sweden, negotiators for both parties shook hands to applause, though they later expressed scepticism.
UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres said he hoped this would be the starting point to bring nearly four years of civil strife to a close.
Since hostilities began in 2014, thousands of civilians have been killed, and around 14 million people have been pushed to the brink of starvation, according to the UN.
Saudi Arabia buys the bulk of its weapons from the US, Britain and France.
Trump has pledged to veto the bill.
"Well, Grant, we've had the devil's own day, haven't we?"

"Yes. Lick 'em tomorrow though."

-Generals William T. Sherman and Ulysses S Grant, the Battle of Shiloh.

"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?"-Terry Pratchett's DEATH.

I am a dual citizen of the United States and Canada.

Fuck Civility.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Devotee

Post by U.P. Cinnabar » 2018-12-14 03:01am

Like we couldn't see that coming.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2018-12-14 03:02am

Trump threatening a veto is predictable, yes, but it's still very encouraging that there is at least some bi-partisan support, enough to get a vote through the Senate, for holding the Saudis accountable and not giving them a blank check. Maybe it will be the beginning of a move away from endless American complicity in Saudi atrocities.
"Well, Grant, we've had the devil's own day, haven't we?"

"Yes. Lick 'em tomorrow though."

-Generals William T. Sherman and Ulysses S Grant, the Battle of Shiloh.

"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?"-Terry Pratchett's DEATH.

I am a dual citizen of the United States and Canada.

Fuck Civility.