Trump Dump: Foreign Policy (Thread I)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Re: Trump Dump: Foreign Policy (Thread I)

Post by mr friendly guy »

Thanas wrote: 2017-07-10 04:32am
Well if they are willing to take the lead to fight climate change then so what?
Because they are a dictatorship that routinely tortures and kills its own people for having the audacity to demand an end to corruption and fair elections. Anybody cheering for having a larger Chinese influence over the world is either fool, an enemy of democracy, a paid shill, a poor student of history or all of the above.
As opposed to Western influence Thanas. LOL. Colonialism, drone strikes killing civilians even now (count how many countries the US is currently intervening in), overthrowing other governments including democratically elected ones, hundreds of thousands dead in Iraq and counting etc. But we have democracy now, so that justifies what we do now. I love how you talk about a dictatorship engaging in torture. As opposed to a democracy which engages in torture cough Abu Ghraib cough. Yeah because everything is better when we throw "democracy" in front of it.

Tell you what. When Germany can surpass China's productions of solar panels, wind power and hydropower then I will gladly admit Germany should take the lead on climate change just like I admitted they showed leadership on Europe's refugee crisis. Actually make that the entire EU rather than just Germany per se.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Someone needs to take the lead and the US has abdicated. It's a horrible situation.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Because they are a dictatorship that routinely tortures and kills its own people for having the audacity to demand an end to corruption and fair elections. Anybody cheering for having a larger Chinese influence over the world is either fool, an enemy of democracy, a paid shill, a poor student of history or all of the above.
Maybe China could take leadership by simply blocking internet searches for things that aren't sufficiently friendly to the environment. The Tiananmen Square treatment, as it were. The Party knows what's best!
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Gandalf wrote: 2017-07-11 12:35am
Maybe China could take leadership by simply blocking internet searches for things that aren't sufficiently friendly to the environment. The Tiananmen Square treatment, as it were. The Party knows what's best!
Yeah. It really is pretty godsdamned pathetic that we have to rely on China, a nation that will basically corner the market on major advances in clean energy which will probably make them the most powerful economic force in world history. I mean there are worse regimes than China, but its compairing ducks to geese.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Oh god, where to start?

Politico
Russian lawyer: Donald Trump Jr. wanted DNC info ‘so badly’
By LOUIS NELSON 07/11/2017 07:41 AM EDT
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
The Russian lawyer who met with Donald Trump Jr. during the 2016 presidential election said on Tuesday that it appeared that the president’s son and others at the meeting were “longing” for information on the Democratic National Committee.

In an interview broadcast Tuesday on NBC's "Today" show, the lawyer, Natalia Veselnitskaya, was asked why Trump Jr., Jared Kushner and then-campaign chairman Paul Manafort, would be under the impression that they’d be told information about the DNC, which was hacked during the election.

"It's quite possible that maybe they were longing for such information. They wanted it so badly,” Veselnitskaya said of the June 2016 meeting.

Speaking via a translator, Veselnitskaya denied that she was ever in possession of any "damaging or sensitive information" about Clinton and that "it was never my intention to have" such information. Further, she denied having any ties to the Russian government and said her meeting with the president's son, son-in-law and campaign chairman was intended only to benefit her client's interest related to sanctions leveled back and forth between Russia and the U.S.

Veselnitskaya recalled that Trump Jr. ran the meeting and that she was not introduced to Manafort or Kushner by name and only later recognized who they were. She said Kushner left the meeting within "seven to 10 minutes" of its starting and did not return. Manafort, she said, was occupied by his phone for the entire meeting and did not speak.

Congress reads it. Do you?
Sign up for POLITICO Playbook and get the latest news, every morning — in your inbox.
Email
Your email…
By signing up you agree to receive email newsletters or alerts from POLITICO. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Trump Jr., through an attorney, said Monday night he “did nothing wrong” when he met with Veselnitskaya, but did say in a statement that Veselnitskaya had "stated that she had information that individuals connected to Russia were funding the Democratic National Committee and supporting Mrs. Clinton. Her statements were vague, ambiguous and made no sense."

The president's son, who now helps oversee the family business empire, added that "it quickly became clear that she had no meaningful information" and that an offer of such information had been a pretext for gaining a meeting to press her client's interests. But in a post to his Twitter account, Trump Jr. also seemingly conceded that he had been interested in obtaining information on Clinton and her campaign.

"Obviously I'm the first person on a campaign to ever take a meeting to hear info about an opponent... went nowhere but had to listen," he wrote online.

Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.), the ranking member on the House Intelligence Committee, said Tuesday in an interview on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" that he hopes to have Trump Jr. testify before his committee under oath.

"If that report is correct, this e-mail disclosed to the Trump campaign the truth that the Russian government had damaging information, that they wanted to help elect Donald Trump and it put, certainly, the first family on notice of all of these facts," Schiff said. "It makes all the denials we've seen since that much more unbelievably suspect so certainly this bears a lot of investigation. These participants are all going to have to come before the committee."
Trump Jr colludes with Russian lawyer in hopes of getting dirt on Clinton during the election.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

The Independent
Jared Kushner 'tried and failed to get a $500m loan from Qatar before pushing Trump to take hard line against country'
The failed business deal has reignited concerns about Trump family conflicts of interest

Emily Shugerman New York 5 hours ago27 comments

Click to follow
The Independent US
kushner-qatar
Senior White House adviser Jared Kushner, the president's son-in-law, is said to have sought funding from a Qatari billionaire Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images
Jared Kushner tried and failed to secure a $500m loan from one of Qatar's richest businessmen, before pushing his father-in-law to toe a hard line with the country, it has been alleged.

This intersection between Mr Kushner’s real estate dealings and his father-in-law’s international issues highlights the difficulties of an administration besiged with an unprecedented number of conflicts of interest.

Early in his real estate career, Mr Kushner purchased a building at 666 Fifth Avenue in New York for $1.8bn – a record-setting deal at the time.

READ MORE
Qatar accuses Saudi Arabia of 'clear aggression' as tensions rise
These days, however, more than a quarter of the office space in the building is vacant. According to The New York Times, the building has not generated enough to pay its debts in several years, forcing Kushner Companies to cover the multimillion-dollar difference.

In 2015 – while Donald Trump was firing up his presidential campaign – Mr Kushner was working with his biological father to keep the property from going underwater. The men zeroed in on Qatari billionaire sheikh Hamad bin Abdullah Al-Thani (HBJ) as a potential investor.

HBJ eventually agreed to invest $500m in the property, sources tell The Intercept, on the condition that Kushner Companies found the rest of the money for the multi-billion-dollar project on its own.

In pictures: President Donald Trump on tour
show all
For help, Kushner Companies turned to Chinese insurance company Anbang. The company agreed to secure a $4bn construction loan to develop the property in early March. But weeks later, as concerns about conflicts of interest mounted, Anbang pulled out.

Without the help of Anbang, Kushner Companies could not meet the rest of HBJ's funding demands. According to one source in the region, HBJ killed the deal. According to another, he simply put it on hold.

Either way, a diplomatic crisis centred around Qatar broke out shortly thereafter. In early June, at least six Gulf Region countries severed or reduced ties to the country, claiming it had supported terrorism.

The countries issued a list of demands necessary for Qatar to regain favour, including shutting down the media network Al-Jazeera, cutting ties with various Islamist groups, limiting ties with Iran, and expelling Turkish troops.

View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter
Follow
People's Daily,China ✔ @PDChina
Qatar on Monday threatens to withdraw from Gulf Cooperation Council if "siege" not lifted & its political & economic losses not compensated
2:30 PM - 10 Jul 2017
55 55 Retweets 79 79 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy
The move sent the tiny, isolated nation into an economic tailspin. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson quickly encouraged the countries to engage in “calm and thoughtful dialogue“ and asked for “no further escalation by the parties in the region”.

Mr Trump, however, unleashed a string of criticism toward the country, calling it a “funder of terrorism at a very high level”.

“So good to see the Saudi Arabia visit with the King and 50 countries already paying off,” he tweeted on 6 June. “They said they would take a hard line on funding, extremism, and all reference was pointing to Qatar.”

The President’s position took Mr Tillerson by surprise, and sources say he suspected Mr Kushner was behind it all.

READ MORE
We're too rich to worry about what Saudi Arabia does, says Qatar
Saudi Arabia has played Trump like a fiddle when it comes to Qatar
Qatar responds to Arab neighbours’ demands over alleged terror links
A source close to Mr Tillerson told The American Conservative that the Secretary of State is convinced that some of Mr Trump’s remarks were written by UAE ambassador Yousef Al Otaiba – a close friend of Mr Kushner.

“Otaiba weighed in with Jared and Jared weighed in with Trump,” the source said. “What a mess.”

But even if the source’s account of the proceedings is true, it still leaves open the question of why Mr Kushner wanted to convince the President to speak out against Qatar.

Mr Tillerson's reasons for supporting the small country, and urging a quick end to the conflict, however, are more clear: The US runs a crucial airbase out of the country, which runs air campaigns against Isis in Iraq and Syria, and helps protect Israel.

Mr Tillerson left on Monday for a trip to Turkey, Kuwait, the UAE, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia to help mediate an end to the crisis. Kushner Companies did not respond to The Independent’s request for comment.
Trump's son-in-law, Kushner, went to Qatar for a loan for private business. When denied, he advised Trump to take an aggressive stance for American foreign policy.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2017-07-10 09:50pm
As opposed to Western influence Thanas. LOL. Colonialism, drone strikes killing civilians even now (count how many countries the US is currently intervening in), overthrowing other governments including democratically elected ones, hundreds of thousands dead in Iraq and counting etc. But we have democracy now, so that justifies what we do now. I love how you talk about a dictatorship engaging in torture. As opposed to a democracy which engages in torture cough Abu Ghraib cough. Yeah because everything is better when we throw "democracy" in front of it.
You are engaging in a classic strawman here and you know it.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The BBC wrote:US President Donald Trump's son has released an email chain showing he was offered "sensitive" information on Hillary Clinton by a Russian national.

Publicist Rob Goldstone tells Donald Trump Jr that there is information that is "part of Russia and its government's support for Mr Trump".

US officials are investigating alleged Russian meddling in the US election.

Mr Goldstone has previously denied any knowledge of involvement in the election by the Russian government.

The email to Mr Trump Jr, which he released on Twitter, says "the Crown prosecutor of Russia" had "offered to provide the Trump campaign with some official documents and information that would incriminate Hillary and her dealings with Russia and would be very useful to your father".

Mr Trump Jr replies: "If it's what you say, I love it."

Russia does not have a Crown prosecutor, but it does have a prosecutor-general.

Democratic candidate Mrs Clinton lost the presidential election in November to Mr Trump.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Well, this looks like the smoking gun to me, or very near to it.

We may not know weather any agreement came out of the meeting, or what it contained, but it seems clear now that the offer of information on Clinton was made by a top lawyer of the Russian government, and that top Trump people were at least interested enough to meet with them about it.

Its also worth noting that this meeting, where they admit discussing information on the DNC, happened not too long before the big leak about the DNC right before the Democratic convention, which has been tied to Russia. And that the lawyer apparently wanted to discuss sanctions (some quid pro quo being offered?).

Its also interesting that a Russian lawyer came forward with this. Oh, sure, she denies working for the Russian government, but that she would reveal this tells me that the Kremlin has decided to throw Trump under the bus. Which makes me worry about how Trump will respond, and how that might escalate conflicts in, for example, Ukraine and Syria.

All we have to do now is determine weather Donald himself knew. If Trump Jr., Kushner, and Manafort all did, I find it rather likely that he did as well.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I think Putin just wants to sow massive chaos and internal unrest. By first making sure Trump gets elected and then making sure that Trump constantly has to battle for legitimacy and may even be impeached he has reached that goal.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I think Pence is leaking most of this.

Who benefits?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I love it how the claims of 'collusion' have changed from 'the Trump campaign conspired with the Russians to hack the DNC and John Podesta's emails (aka 'hack the election') to "the Trump campaign was willing to get dirt on Hillary from Russians".

I guess the people screaming that this is proof of treason forgot that the Hillary campaign got dirt on Trump from Russians (i.e. the Steele 'dossier') and the Ukrainian government.

As usual, the US press is embarassing and pathetic. There's no shortage on informed commentary from respected Russian journalists who know just how absurd it is to propose that this Russian lawyer is some sort of Kremlin operative - nevermind the nature of the other Russians who are being proferred up as Kremlin agents:

https://twitter.com/Alexey__Kovalev/sta ... 5202812929

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles ... connection
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Oh look, it's our resident Russophile Putin-can-do-no wrong guy checking in.

I guess it's your shift because Stas and Fima are on vacation?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Lonestar wrote: 2017-07-11 07:58pm I think Pence is leaking most of this.

Who benefits?
That sort of makes sense, and would be amusing as hell.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Gandalf wrote: 2017-07-11 08:59pm

That sort of makes sense, and would be amusing as hell.

It's definitely high on my level of assumptions. I wonder if Pence spoke with Trump once, did his own vetting of Trump, and thought "I can get this guy out of office if he somehow makes it into the WH".
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Lonestar wrote: 2017-07-11 08:55pm Oh look, it's our resident Russophile Putin-can-do-no wrong guy checking in.

I'm not sure what's more amusing - your lame ass smear, or the fact you think either me or Stas thinks 'Putin can do no wrong'.

But it's true, I do tend to check in and talk facts and commentary by people who can actually find their ass with two hands when the hysteria regularly kicks up. Might want to get used to it.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Lonestar wrote: 2017-07-11 09:03pm
Gandalf wrote: 2017-07-11 08:59pmThat sort of makes sense, and would be amusing as hell.
It's definitely high on my level of assumptions. I wonder if Pence spoke with Trump once, did his own vetting of Trump, and thought "I can get this guy out of office if he somehow makes it into the WH".
Indeed. It would also make sense from a "protecting the party/country from Mr New York" perspective.

I keep instinctively dismissing Pence because he looks like Gary Cole playing Cotton Hill.

- George Carlin
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Thanas wrote: 2017-07-11 11:09am You are engaging in a classic strawman here and you know it.
Oh. You linked to Chris Ulmann's spiel, so presumably you agree with it. His argument is not just the US loses influence and China gains influence, its China gains influence at the expense of the US. So why do you think is it bad for one violator of human rights to lose influence at the expense of another. Its not like China is gaining influence at the expense of a country which doesn't violate human rights. Ulmann hints at his reason and you pretty much gave the democracy spiel. So why am I wrong in assuming democracy is the reason given the amount of times you mentioned it or things related to it in your previous post. Especially in light that you openly believe in the bullshit "democratic peace theory."

Another question is, and I notice you chose not to address that part, why should taking a lead in climate change have anything to do with the human rights you champion, that is free elections, speech etc. The US and China ideally have to take the lead because they are the biggest emitters. China can also take a lead because it produces the vast majority of renewable energy products we use to combat climate change. Solar panels dropped 80% in price due to China's production and its wind capacity surpasses the entire European Union. Again what does human rights have to do with that? Its not like I am proposing China takes the lead on holding free elections, but taking the lead on something which encompasses things they do well in.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2017-07-11 10:07pm
Thanas wrote: 2017-07-11 11:09am You are engaging in a classic strawman here and you know it.
Oh. You linked to Chris Ulmann's spiel, so presumably you agree with it. His argument is not just the US loses influence and China gains influence, its China gains influence at the expense of the US. So why do you think is it bad for one violator of human rights to lose influence at the expense of another. Its not like China is gaining influence at the expense of a country which doesn't violate human rights.
Because while the USA is a horrible global player it does not mean that I want it to be replaced by another horrible global player that treats its own population like shit to boot.
Another question is, and I notice you chose not to address that part, why should taking a lead in climate change have anything to do with the human rights you champion, that is free elections, speech etc. The US and China ideally have to take the lead because they are the biggest emitters. China can also take a lead because it produces the vast majority of renewable energy products we use to combat climate change. Solar panels dropped 80% in price due to China's production and its wind capacity surpasses the entire European Union. Again what does human rights have to do with that? Its not like I am proposing China takes the lead on holding free elections, but taking the lead on something which encompasses things they do well in.
Because Chinese influence, as we have seen in the current territorial claims in Asia, is anything but benevolent.
------------
------------
My LPs
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Thanas wrote: 2017-07-12 04:00am
Because while the USA is a horrible global player it does not mean that I want it to be replaced by another horrible global player that treats its own population like shit to boot.
Why should that bother you given that China for the most part, doesn't see the need to overthrow governments unfriendly to it? Here if one for you. If China and the USA swap economic and military capabilities in 2003, would China lead the coalition of the willing looking for fake WMDs in Iraq? I think we both know the answer to that. If you're going to answer, they are both just as bad overall, then logically it really shouldn't make a difference to you since China isn't gaining influence at the expense of a country which is "good" in your eyes. Its gaining influence at the expense of another "horrible global player." But I think you have a bias against non democratic countries that
Because Chinese influence, as we have seen in the current territorial claims in Asia, is anything but benevolent.
Ah, the part where we ignore the fact that China's geopolitical rivals did the same thing and did it first. Only China does it better so the others are complaining.Not that this has any relevance to my point about what China is doing towards climate change. I mean you're literally saying China isn't a leader in the fight against climate change despite what it does with renewables because of.... its territorial disputes in Asia. What a non sequitur.

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Vympel wrote: 2017-07-11 09:04pm
Lonestar wrote: 2017-07-11 08:55pm Oh look, it's our resident Russophile Putin-can-do-no wrong guy checking in.

I'm not sure what's more amusing - your lame ass smear, or the fact you think either me or Stas thinks 'Putin can do no wrong'.

But it's true, I do tend to check in and talk facts and commentary by people who can actually find their ass with two hands when the hysteria regularly kicks up. Might want to get used to it.
Shut the fuck up, no opinion for you! 8) :wink:
Frankly, even when I disagree with you or Stas, even if you act like shitheads (and that's a hypothetical, I can't really recall you doing so off the top of my head), it's worth it just for the alternate viewpoint destroying the the western POV echo chamber.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2017-07-12 05:18am Why should that bother you given that China for the most part, doesn't see the need to overthrow governments unfriendly to it? Here if one for you. If China and the USA swap economic and military capabilities in 2003, would China lead the coalition of the willing looking for fake WMDs in Iraq? I think we both know the answer to that. If you're going to answer, they are both just as bad overall, then logically it really shouldn't make a difference to you since China isn't gaining influence at the expense of a country which is "good" in your eyes. Its gaining influence at the expense of another "horrible global player." But I think you have a bias against non democratic countries that
Of course I am biased against non-democratic countries. Because I like it when people who are governed have a say. And not be subject to bullshit political repression or death for daring to have an opinion. You know that China right now is refusing treatment options for a cancer patient just because he dared to criticize them? Nevermind the ongoing bullshit in Tibet and with the Uighurs.

I mean, wtf is wrong with you that I have to explain this? Have you got the blinders on that much?

Ah, the part where we ignore the fact that China's geopolitical rivals did the same thing and did it first.
Being late to something horrendous is now a justification for doing something horrendous?
I mean you're literally saying China isn't a leader in the fight against climate change despite what it does with renewables because of.... its territorial disputes in Asia. What a non sequitur.
No, I am pointing out that having the US replaced by China as world leader is not going to do the world a favor.
------------
------------
My LPs
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Unbelievable, Vympel.

We now have solid evidence that top Trump officials met with a known high-level Kremlin lawyer for the express purpose of collaborating to defeat Hillary Clinton (and I'm sure its just a coincidence that this happened shortly before the leaks of hacked information right before the DNC, and that they definitely offered Russia nothing in return, quid pro quo, even though they reportedly discussed sanctions). And yet you're still beating the apologist drum. Do you have no shame at all?

If you were American, I'd call you a Quisling. As it is, I'll content myself with calling you a liar and an imbecile.
Vympel wrote: 2017-07-11 08:18pm I love it how the claims of 'collusion' have changed from 'the Trump campaign conspired with the Russians to hack the DNC and John Podesta's emails (aka 'hack the election') to "the Trump campaign was willing to get dirt on Hillary from Russians".
I "love" how you seem to think finding evidence of the second one somehow disproves the first one, rather than making it more plausible in a still-ongoing investigation.

And where do you think the "dirt" they were looking for came from? Maybe... Russian hacking?
I guess the people screaming that this is proof of treason forgot that the Hillary campaign got dirt on Trump from Russians (i.e. the Steele 'dossier') and the Ukrainian government.
Not treason, but probably violations of laws related to bribery/campaign finance, as well as possibly espionage laws (I'm honestly not sure on that last one).

As to the rest... you got a credible source for the claim that the Clinton campaign collaborated with Russians? And, moreover, that top members of the campaign collaborated with a hostile government rather than getting information from private individuals, for example? Because otherwise, there's really no comparison. And no, Trumpian and Kremlin news outlets don't count. :lol:

If the Steele dossier, please quote the relevant passage and/or provide a link.

Oh, and you've got to love how every time more evidence of Trump's crimes comes to light, his apologists immediately come out with "B-b-b-but... Hillary Clinton!" (or Obama). As if "someone else did something bad" too has ever been a defence for a crime.

Enough with the fucking partisan deflection tactics.
As usual, the US press is embarassing and pathetic. There's no shortage on informed commentary from respected Russian journalists who know just how absurd it is to propose that this Russian lawyer is some sort of Kremlin operative - nevermind the nature of the other Russians who are being proferred up as Kremlin agents:

https://twitter.com/Alexey__Kovalev/sta ... 5202812929

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles ... connection
"respected Russian journalists"... Like who?

I mean, its not like Putin has a history of murdering any Russian journalists who don't toe his line...

Oh, wait.

Yeah, yeah, we get it. American bad, Russia against America, therefore Russia good.

Its must be a nice, comfortingly simple world-view.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Thanas wrote: 2017-07-12 09:12am
Of course I am biased against non-democratic countries. Because I like it when people who are governed have a say. And not be subject to bullshit political repression or death for daring to have an opinion. You know that China right now is refusing treatment options for a cancer patient just because he dared to criticize them? Nevermind the ongoing bullshit in Tibet and with the Uighurs.

I mean, wtf is wrong with you that I have to explain this? Have you got the blinders on that much?
I am going to be generous and assume that because my last sentence somehow got cut of, you misunderstood what I meant. When I say you're bias against democratic countries, I mean that you apply a double standard such that when a democratic country does something wrong, its not treated the same way as when a non democratic does it, even if the scale done by the democratic country is much more vast. That's not to say you give a democratic country a free pass (to your credit you don't), but its not viewed as bad.

I mean you are concern about China's territorial ambitions in disputed territory. We see shill articles worried about China starting WWIII in the SCS yet people totally oblivious to the fact right now, the US has more military interventions in countries than China has done in the past 25 years. Aren't these guys worried about the US starting yet another conflict. See what I mean by bias. China's disputes have not led to the deaths of how many Iraqi's now? I think I lost count after a few hundred thousand. Yet we are worried about China. The worry is based a little bit on China's actions, but more on the fact its not "the West" or an ally of the West. We are worried about what a country might do, and not concern about a country doing the same thing right now.

Oh BTW, in the vein of how the board mocked the repugnant Jerry Falwell when he died, I really can't give a shit that a shill for the Iraq war is himself being freedomized by liver cancer. This is assuming of course we are both talking about the same person, since you didn't mention what type of cancer this person had.
Thanas wrote: 2017-07-12 09:12am
Ah, the part where we ignore the fact that China's geopolitical rivals did the same thing and did it first.
Being late to something horrendous is now a justification for doing something horrendous?
This just illustrates my point about bias towards democratic countries. You only care about it, and it becomes horrendous when China does it. When a democratic country does it, meh. Saying both are bad is a little bit late after its rivals have done the same thing don't you think.

I mean did you care that more than a decade before China started land reclamation in the Spratly's, Japan tried turning a rock into an artificial island and claiming the EEZ from that? Backed by the US of course. You know, the same questionable legalese trick the US warned China not to try. Lets be honest, you didn't. Did you care when Philippines crashed a ship into a reef to make a poor man's artificial island in the 1990s, or when they did land reclamation in the 1970s. Or how about when Malaysia did it in the 2000s. Nope its only bad when China did it in the 2010s. Saying that both are horrendous is pretty poor cover for the fact that a double standard had been held.

No, I am pointing out that having the US replaced by China as world leader is not going to do the world a favor.
That's nice, but I was talking about the China replacing the US as leader in the fight against climate change, which was kind of the same thing Mr Uhlmann mentioned in his video. Anyone can see I was specifically mentioning leadership in the fight against climate change and not in regards to other leadership roles the US may currently hold.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2017-07-12 09:47pm I am going to be generous and assume that because my last sentence somehow got cut of, you misunderstood what I meant. When I say you're bias against democratic countries, I mean that you apply a double standard such that when a democratic country does something wrong, its not treated the same way as when a non democratic does it, even if the scale done by the democratic country is much more vast. That's not to say you give a democratic country a free pass (to your credit you don't), but its not viewed as bad.
Bullshit, go screw yourself with this entirely unsupported opinion of yours. If anything I consider it more worse when a democracy commits atrocities because I hold them to a higher standard.
I mean you are concern about China's territorial ambitions in disputed territory. We see shill articles worried about China starting WWIII in the SCS yet people totally oblivious to the fact right now, the US has more military interventions in countries than China has done in the past 25 years. Aren't these guys worried about the US starting yet another conflict. See what I mean by bias.
Do you agree or not agree that chinese territorial claims are based on claims of the former Chinese Empire and that China has no right to sea areas located closer or right on the doorstep of Vietnam or the Philippines? And if you read my posting history you will surely find me worried about US intervention or the US being led by rabid warmongers. It is not an either or policy.

In any case this is a complete double standards fallacy. Just because I am outraged about something else I cannot be also outraged about a particular issue? Do you realize how you sound?
China's disputes have not led to the deaths of how many Iraqi's now? I think I lost count after a few hundred thousand. Yet we are worried about China. The worry is based a little bit on China's actions, but more on the fact its not "the West" or an ally of the West. We are worried about what a country might do, and not concern about a country doing the same thing right now.
We are worried about both. One does not preclude the other.
Oh BTW, in the vein of how the board mocked the repugnant Jerry Falwell when he died, I really can't give a shit that a shill for the Iraq war is himself being freedomized by liver cancer. This is assuming of course we are both talking about the same person, since you didn't mention what type of cancer this person had.
Liu Xiaobo obviously is wrong about the Iraq War as he is wrong about many things. In any case, we still got a dissident being "freedomized" by the state. And he is just the most recent example. Guess what happened to the leaders of the Hongkong protests? How many times have they been arrested?

This just illustrates my point about bias towards democratic countries. You only care about it, and it becomes horrendous when China does it. When a democratic country does it, meh. Saying both are bad is a little bit late after its rivals have done the same thing don't you think.
I think you will have found that I have consistently blamed both democracies and dictatorships in the past. In fact, I blame the USA more than any other country on this board because as the world leader I hold them to a higher standard. But yeah, I am totally just blaming dictatorships all the time. Ask any of the "patriotic" americans on this board how they feel about my criticism.

In any case, these character attacks have gone on as poor substitutes for arguments for too long.
I mean did you care that more than a decade before China started land reclamation in the Spratly's, Japan tried turning a rock into an artificial island and claiming the EEZ from that? Backed by the US of course. You know, the same questionable legalese trick the US warned China not to try. Lets be honest, you didn't. Did you care when Philippines crashed a ship into a reef to make a poor man's artificial island in the 1990s, or when they did land reclamation in the 1970s. Or how about when Malaysia did it in the 2000s. Nope its only bad when China did it in the 2010s. Saying that both are horrendous is pretty poor cover for the fact that a double standard had been held.
You are again committing false equivalency, to my knowledge neither the Philippines or Japan or Malaysia turned whatever rock/ship into a floating fortress that can be used to attack its neighbours. But lets entertain your spiel for a bit.

I don't think I posted something about those times but I wasn't alive in the 70s and in the 200y I was more busy criticizing the Iraqi war to read much about the china sea - then again I might have commented on it or not, I don't remember clearly. In any case your point is moot, just because somebody does not critizise and keeps up about every shady thing in every state of the world he does not lose the right to criticize a particular thing that is being done now because otherwise nobody would ever be able to write anything on a message board. But hold on - during those times, would you have preferred me focus my limited time on efforts on the Iraqi War or the China sea? I think the answer is obvious to any sensible person.
That's nice, but I was talking about the China replacing the US as leader in the fight against climate change, which was kind of the same thing Mr Uhlmann mentioned in his video. Anyone can see I was specifically mentioning leadership in the fight against climate change and not in regards to other leadership roles the US may currently hold.
Then you missed the point of the video because Uhlmann specifically points out the overall decline of the US and china stepping into that void. He is not just talking about climate change.
------------
------------
My LPs