Trump Dump: Foreign Policy (Thread I)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Re: Trump Dump: Foreign Policy (Thread I)

Post by Ralin »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-01-13 11:31pm Regardless, this request was significantly more specific than you made it out to be.
Article: Last year the Trump administration asked Pentagon for a war plan to use if they decided to attack Iran. This is shocking.
Me: I'm not surprised the Trump administration asked the Pentagon for a war plan. That's what they do. How is this shocking? It doesn't even seem to have been Trump who ordered it.

What...part of this do you consider vague?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

On CNN now: Dems discussing subpoenaing Trump's interpreter at the Putin meetings, after revelations that Trump confiscated the interpreter's notes and forbad him to talk about what was discussed, even to other high ranking members of the administration. They may also subpoena Rex Tillerson, who was present at one of the meetings.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-01-14 06:21pm On CNN now: Dems discussing subpoenaing Trump's interpreter at the Putin meetings, after revelations that Trump confiscated the interpreter's notes and forbad him to talk about what was discussed, even to other high ranking members of the administration. They may also subpoena Rex Tillerson, who was present at one of the meetings.
Couldn't President Trump simply assert executive privilege? I mean, assuming there wasn't some sort of criminal conspiracy, isn't this sort of thing what it's for?
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

He will certainly try.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

SCRawl wrote: 2019-01-14 09:27pmCouldn't President Trump simply assert executive privilege? I mean, assuming there wasn't some sort of criminal conspiracy, isn't this sort of thing what it's for?
IANAL, but the analysis I've heard is that asserting executive privilege would fall flat because a third party (Putin and his entourage) was present at the meetings.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Civil War Man wrote: 2019-01-15 11:13am
SCRawl wrote: 2019-01-14 09:27pmCouldn't President Trump simply assert executive privilege? I mean, assuming there wasn't some sort of criminal conspiracy, isn't this sort of thing what it's for?
IANAL, but the analysis I've heard is that asserting executive privilege would fall flat because a third party (Putin and his entourage) was present at the meetings.
Ultimately, I suppose, that's something for the Supreme Court to decide. If I had to guess, I'd say it would be 5/4 against in the current court, with Justice Roberts choosing to maintain the current balance rather than sanction a major expansion of executive power, while if RBG is gone and Trump gets another Justice in, it would be 5/4 in his favour.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

McCabe: Trump refused to believe reports from his intelligence organizations that NK had conducted a missile test, because Putin had told him NK didn't have that capability:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2019/02/1 ... -intel.cnn

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

So Trump met Kim Jong Un again today. But thanks to Cohen, Trump's borderline-treasonous bid to win a Nobel Prize diplomacy received virtually no news coverage. :D

Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Its receiving plenty of coverage now.....

..that the talks have collapsed.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Guess Trump didn't suck Dear Leader's dick hard enough (or vice versa).

I just hope he doesn't use this as a pretext for some more saber rattling to distract from Mueller and Cohen. I can just see him thinking "They'll never impeach a war time President."

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-02-27 09:29pm So Trump met Kim Jong Un again today. But thanks to Cohen, Trump's borderline-treasonous bid to win a Nobel Prize diplomacy received virtually no news coverage. :D
Borderline treasonous?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Gandalf wrote: 2019-02-28 05:54am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-02-27 09:29pm So Trump met Kim Jong Un again today. But thanks to Cohen, Trump's borderline-treasonous bid to win a Nobel Prize diplomacy received virtually no news coverage. :D
Borderline treasonous?
Remember the last time he met Fat Kim, when he made major concessions to, praised, and reiterated the propaganda of a country the US is still technically at war with for almost nothing in return?

The US Constitution defines treason as levying war against the United States, or offering aid and comfort to its enemies.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Still at war with? The US hasn't been at war since the forties. If you want to play the technicalities game, be better at it, because that's a really important term.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

Technically, I suppose the US is not at war with DPRK, since Congress never declared war. The Korean War was a "military engagement authorized by a United Nations Security Council Resolution and funded by Congress", but that's really splitting hairs.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Which is why everyone calls that "extended military engagement that was authorized by United Nations Security Council Resolution and funded by appropriations from Congress" the Korean War - it's much less of mouthful, and it's splitting hairs to say it wasn't really a war.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-02-28 05:59am
Borderline treasonous?
Remember the last time he met Fat Kim, when he made major concessions to, praised, and reiterated the propaganda of a country the US is still technically at war with for almost nothing in return?

The US Constitution defines treason as levying war against the United States, or offering aid and comfort to its enemies.
So wait, Trump was bad for backing off a course that leads to a potential nuclear war and millions of dead people in Korea?

WHAT?

There are millions of bad things to say about Trump. But is this really the angle you want to push?
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

TRR does tend to strangle the good because it's not the perfect he wants.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

K. A. Pital wrote: 2019-02-28 09:23am So wait, Trump was bad for backing off a course that leads to a potential nuclear war and millions of dead people in Korea?

WHAT?

There are millions of bad things to say about Trump. But is this really the angle you want to push?
You have to understand Stas, if we let the Kim dynasty get its fat fingers on a legitimacy stockpile they'll be able to put it in their missiles and a few years down the line they'll be a hundred times more dangerous.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

K. A. Pital wrote: 2019-02-28 09:23am So wait, Trump was bad for backing off a course that leads to a potential nuclear war and millions of dead people in Korea?

WHAT?

The course that was mostly generated and hyped by Trump?
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Ace Pace wrote: 2019-02-28 11:53amThe course that was mostly generated and hyped by Trump?
True. But he is not being criticised for that, he is criticised for backing down. Baffling.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

houser2112 wrote: 2019-02-28 08:04am Technically, I suppose the US is not at war with DPRK, since Congress never declared war. The Korean War was a "military engagement authorized by a United Nations Security Council Resolution and funded by Congress", but that's really splitting hairs.
Yeah, but if you want to go down the road of calling "US forces engage with people a lot" a war, then US governmental engagement with its domestic populace really raises some questions given (among other issues) the rates at which minorities are shot by police.

Also, consider the exhorbitant powers of the US government in wartime. I wonder what Kent State wpuld have looked like under proper wartime powers?

- George Carlin
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

We're talking about foreign wars; why are you bringing up minorities being shot by police and Kent State, neither of which involved US forces (domestic police forces and the Ohio National Guard, respectively)? While domestic police forces and the Ohio NG are obviously American, they are not "US forces", which any American would interpret to mean the federal armed services.

Anyway, slippery slope much? While the war/not-war line could be debated to be on the near side of "Korea, 1950" if one was willing to not split hairs, I don't think anyone would say it's all the down to "Kent State, 1970".
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-02-28 03:59pm
houser2112 wrote: 2019-02-28 08:04am Technically, I suppose the US is not at war with DPRK, since Congress never declared war. The Korean War was a "military engagement authorized by a United Nations Security Council Resolution and funded by Congress", but that's really splitting hairs.
Yeah, but if you want to go down the road of calling "US forces engage with people a lot" a war, then US governmental engagement with its domestic populace really raises some questions given (among other issues) the rates at which minorities are shot by police.
I'm perfectly OK with difficult questions being asked. The problem is that Congress does not seem to be comfortable with that. Among other groups.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

houser2112 wrote: 2019-02-28 04:32pm We're talking about foreign wars; why are you bringing up minorities being shot by police and Kent State, neither of which involved US forces (domestic police forces and the Ohio National Guard, respectively)? While domestic police forces and the Ohio NG are obviously American, they are not "US forces", which any American would interpret to mean the federal armed services.

Anyway, slippery slope much? While the war/not-war line could be debated to be on the near side of "Korea, 1950" if one was willing to not split hairs, I don't think anyone would say it's all the down to "Kent State, 1970".
Foreign wars have domestic consequences. Ask the citizens of Japanese ancestry interred during WW2, or people charged under the Sedition Act during WW1.

- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

K. A. Pital wrote: 2019-02-28 09:23am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-02-28 05:59am

Borderline treasonous?

So wait, Trump was bad for backing off a course that leads to a potential nuclear war and millions of dead people in Korea?

WHAT?

That is a ridiculous and downright offensive strawman. Especially since I think you know quite well that I do not and will never support any course that is likely to lead to a nuclear war.

Has it ever occurred to you that there are options besides "go to war with North Korea" and "Publicly kiss Kim Jong Un's ass while selling the US and its allies' interests for little or nothing of substance in return?" In short, has it occurred to you that there is a difference between "negotiation" and "concession"?