Trump Dump: Internal Policy (Thread I)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Post Reply
User avatar
Knife
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 15622
Joined: 2002-08-30 02:40pm
Location: Behind the Zion Curtain
Contact:

Re: Trump Dump: Internal Policy (Thread I)

Post by Knife » 2020-02-09 12:42pm

As much as I don't want to agree with TRR, I do think he's closer to right than you Enigma. Sure, Trump hasn't completed all the purges and co-opting of institutions to be end stage Dictator, but he's sure as hell is in the process of it. Perhaps he is not a successful Dictator right now, but he sure is in the process of being one.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red

User avatar
Enigma
is a laughing fool.
Posts: 7713
Joined: 2003-04-30 10:24pm
Location: c nnyhjdyt yr 45

Re: Trump Dump: Internal Policy (Thread I)

Post by Enigma » 2020-02-09 03:09pm

And he'll fail. Then again I do not care. I take a neutral stand in politics. I view them all as clowns.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!

User avatar
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard
Posts: 15420
Joined: 2002-09-16 11:13pm
Location: A video store in Australia

Re: Trump Dump: Internal Policy (Thread I)

Post by Gandalf » 2020-02-09 03:16pm

Enigma wrote:
2020-02-09 03:09pm
And he'll fail. Then again I do not care. I take a neutral stand in politics. I view them all as clowns.
"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse, and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality." -Desmond Tutu

Also, it doesn't matter whether or not Trump becomes dictator. The bigger risk is that it sets precedent for the next guy to go further than Trump did. Trump would not have been possible without the horrors of Bush II.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 20333
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: Trump Dump: Internal Policy (Thread I)

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2020-02-09 09:17pm

Enigma wrote:
2020-02-09 03:09pm
And he'll fail. Then again I do not care. I take a neutral stand in politics. I view them all as clowns.
:roll:

And fascists fucking love that shit, because it means you disengage from the democratic process, and legitimize fascists by putting them on the same level as every other politician.
"You pick the people who are going to die because you only sent 400 ventilators."-Governor Andrew Cuomo to "President" Donald Trump.

"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

Ocasio Cortez 2028!

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE IF TRUMP REFUSES TO LEAVE OFFICE.

User avatar
Enigma
is a laughing fool.
Posts: 7713
Joined: 2003-04-30 10:24pm
Location: c nnyhjdyt yr 45

Re: Trump Dump: Internal Policy (Thread I)

Post by Enigma » 2020-02-09 10:36pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:
2020-02-09 09:17pm
Enigma wrote:
2020-02-09 03:09pm
And he'll fail. Then again I do not care. I take a neutral stand in politics. I view them all as clowns.
:roll:

And fascists fucking love that shit, because it means you disengage from the democratic process, and legitimize fascists by putting them on the same level as every other politician.
Couldn't vote even if I wanted to, being an immigrant and all.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 20333
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: Trump Dump: Internal Policy (Thread I)

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2020-02-09 10:37pm

Enigma wrote:
2020-02-09 10:36pm
The Romulan Republic wrote:
2020-02-09 09:17pm
Enigma wrote:
2020-02-09 03:09pm
And he'll fail. Then again I do not care. I take a neutral stand in politics. I view them all as clowns.
:roll:

And fascists fucking love that shit, because it means you disengage from the democratic process, and legitimize fascists by putting them on the same level as every other politician.
Couldn't vote even if I wanted to, being an immigrant and all.
Fair enough, although there are other ways to be politically active if one is wishes to be.
"You pick the people who are going to die because you only sent 400 ventilators."-Governor Andrew Cuomo to "President" Donald Trump.

"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

Ocasio Cortez 2028!

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE IF TRUMP REFUSES TO LEAVE OFFICE.

User avatar
loomer
Sith Marauder
Posts: 3554
Joined: 2005-11-20 07:57am
Contact:

Re: Trump Dump: Internal Policy (Thread I)

Post by loomer » 2020-02-09 10:55pm

Enigma wrote:
2020-02-09 03:09pm
And he'll fail. Then again I do not care. I take a neutral stand in politics. I view them all as clowns.
Congratulations, you win the coveted Dumbest Post of the Year award.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A

Eulogy
Jedi Knight
Posts: 926
Joined: 2007-04-28 10:23pm

Re: Trump Dump: Internal Policy (Thread I)

Post by Eulogy » 2020-02-09 11:23pm

Enigma wrote:
2020-02-09 10:36pm
Couldn't vote even if I wanted to, being an immigrant and all.
That doesn't mean you can't help people not vote for the fucking dictator and his toadies.

Granted, the Trump Cult is a lost cause, but they ain't everybody, not even close.
"A word of advice: next time you post, try not to inadvertently reveal why you've had no success with real women." Darth Wong to Bubble Boy
"I see you do not understand objectivity," said Tom Carder, a fundie fucknut to Darth Wong

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 20333
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: Trump Dump: Internal Policy (Thread I)

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2020-02-15 01:42am

In other news, after Trump fired Lt Col Vindman for lawfully testifying against him, and fired his brother in a North Korea-esque punish the family retaliation, and had Vindman escorted out by security, he took it a step further by suggesting that the military should discipline Vindman as well.

I watched this with concern, because I've been saying for a while now that this was likely to come down to who the military sided with when Trump tried to rig/overturn the election results. And the military prosecuting one of their own for following the law instead of Trump at Trump's behest would therefore be the clearest indication yet that we are utterly fucked.

Well, the good news is that it looks like the military basically said "fuck that":

https://politico.com/news/2020/02/14/al ... ion-115286
The Army will not investigate Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman, the former National Security Council staffer who testified in the president’s impeachment investigation, the service’s top civilian said Friday.

Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy made the announcement at an event just days after President Donald Trump said he imagined the military would “take a look at” whether Vindman should face disciplinary action for the “horrible things” he told House investigators about the president’s phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky last July.

Vindman was ousted from his position on the NSC last week after the Senate acquitted Trump. Vindman’s lawyer said the move amounted to retribution.

McCarthy on Friday downplayed Vindman’s return to the Army, saying he simply returned to the service a few months earlier than planned and would have a “bridging assignment” for a couple of months in the Army’s headquarters office in Washington.

“Then he will be heading to a senior service college this summer. There’s no investigation into him,” McCarthy said at a National Press Club luncheon.

On Tuesday, Trump told reporters “if you look at what happened, [the military is] going to certainly, I would imagine, take a look at that.”

“It turned out that what he reported was very different [than what occurred],” Trump added. “And also when you look at the person he reports to, said horrible things, avoided the chain of command, leaked, did a lot of bad things. And so we sent him on his way to a much different location, and the military can handle him anyway they want.”
"You pick the people who are going to die because you only sent 400 ventilators."-Governor Andrew Cuomo to "President" Donald Trump.

"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

Ocasio Cortez 2028!

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE IF TRUMP REFUSES TO LEAVE OFFICE.

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 20333
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: Trump Dump: Internal Policy (Thread I)

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2020-02-18 08:09pm

The latest round of pardons and commutations to the Fuhrer's friends and allies:

https://washingtonpost.com/politics/tru ... story.html
President Trump on Tuesday used his sweeping presidential pardon powers to wipe away the crimes of a list of boldface names, including disgraced politician Rod R. Blagojevich, convicted junk bond king Michael Milken and former New York police commissioner Bernard Kerik.

Trump pardoned or commuted the sentences of seven convicted white collar criminals at the center of federal anti-corruption and tax fraud cases spanning decades, alongside four women whose cases were not as well known.

The action frees Blagojevich, the former Democratic governor of Illinois, from the federal correctional facility in Colorado where he was serving out his 14-year sentence. He was convicted on corruption charges in 2011 for trying to sell then-president elect Barack Obama’s vacated Senate seat.

“He’ll be able to go back home with his family after serving eight years in jail,” Trump told reporters. “That was a tremendously powerful, ridiculous sentence and my opinion and in the opinion of many others.”

Tuesday’s clemency announcements came as Trump has been flexing his power in recent days after being acquitted by the Senate on two impeachment charges earlier this month. The president has removed from their jobs witnesses who testified against him and publicly weighed in on criminal cases concerning his associates while dismissing the idea his actions have crossed any ethical or legal lines.

The pardons and commutations focus on the type of corruption and lying charges his associates were convicted of as part of the Russia investigation, once again raising the question of whether he will pardon former campaign chairman Paul Manafort, former national security adviser Michael Flynn and longtime adviser and friend Roger Stone. Trump said he hasn’t thought about pardoning those three but made clear he isn’t happy with the cases brought against them.

“I think Roger Stone has been treated unfairly. I think General Flynn has been treated very unfairly,” he told reporters. “I think a lot of people have been treated very unfairly.”

The executive actions announced Tuesday fit a pattern of highly personal presidential justice that largely bypasses the traditional pardon process administered by the Justice Department. Most of the people who have received clemency under Trump were well-connected offenders who had a line into the White House or currency with his political base.

Most Trump clemency grants bypass Justice Dept. and go to well-connected offenders

Milken received a pardon with the White House providing a long list of advocates for the wealthy financier, including Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao, political donors Miriam Adelson and Sheldon Adelson, and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.).

Milken became a symbol of the culture of greed during the 1980s that was fictionalized in movies like “Wall Street,” where Michael Douglas plays ruthless financier Gordon Gekko who declares that “greed is good.”

Milken rose to prominence for his role in developing high-interest-bearing securities markets, known as junk bonds, before pleading guilty in 1990 to six felony counts, including securities fraud, mail fraud and aiding in the filing of a false tax return.

Since then, Milken has sought to rehabilitate his image by becoming a major donor to causes such as cancer research.

Also on Trump’s pardon list were Kerik, who was convicted of tax fraud, and Edward DeBartolo Jr., the billionaire former owner of the San Francisco 49ers football team, who pleaded guilty two decades ago to charges related to his role in a corruption case against former Louisiana governor Edwin W. Edwards (D).

The president also pardoned David Safavian, a senior official in the former George W. Bush administration who was convicted of obstructing a federal investigation as part of the scandal surrounding lobbyist Jack Abramoff, and two lesser-known business executives, technology executive Ariel Friedler and construction company executive Paul Pogue, who were convicted of computer and tax charges. He also pardoned Angela Stanton, an author who served a six-month home sentence for her role in a stolen vehicle ring.

Kerik is a frequent visitor to the president’s Florida Mar-a-Lago Club who recently posted a picture at the Trump hotel, tagging the president and bragging of “Badassry” at the hotel. He declined to comment. Safavian now works at the Trump-aligned American Conservative Union Foundation’s justice center and attacks Trump critics through his Twitter account. Blagojevich’s wife actively lobbied for her husband’s release, including going on Fox News to maker her case.

The White House says all 11 actions help people who had were treated unfairly or had repaid society through good works. Most are white men with connections to power, and in some cases to Trump himself.

Blagojevich and Trump were well acquainted from when the former Illinois governor was a contestant on Trump’s show “The Apprentice” in 2010. Trump fired Blagojevich for shoddy work on a Florida theme park project, telling him, “Your Harry Potter facts were not accurate. Who did the research?”

Kerik and Milken were both prominent New Yorkers during Trump’s professional rise as a New York real estate magnate.

“We have Bernie Kerik, we have Mike Milken, who’s gone around and done an incredible job,” Trump said, adding that Milken had “paid a big price.”

The 11 grants Tuesday mark the largest group Trump has announced so far, but barely makes a dent in the record-setting backlog of nearly 13,000 people currently waiting for a responses to their clemency requests.

The White House released synopses of each case Tuesday, including lists of supporters for each action that reads like a who’s-who of the president’s elite orbit.

Nelson Peltz, who threw the president a $10 million fundraiser at his $95 million Palm Beach house Saturday night, recommended the pardon of Milken.

TV personalities, including Geraldo Rivera, Andrew Napolitano and Maria Bartiromo, were all cited as pardon advocates by the president.

Gov. Chris Christie, who advises the president and takes on legal clients, got one of his clients a pardon.

Trump’s personal lawyer, Rudolph W. Giuliani, was listed as a supporter for both Milken and Kerik, who also received backing from Navy SEAL Eddie Gallagher, who was granted clemency by Trump last year. Kerik rode his prominence as Giuliani’s police chief during the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks to a nomination to be Homeland Security secretary in the George W. Bush administration. But he soon ran into legal trouble and his nomination was pulled.

Newsmax Media Christopher Ruddy said he had lobbied Trump on behalf of Kerik and Blagojevich.

“It was just so glaring that it was a political case,” Ruddy said of Blagojevich.

The entire GOP delegation from Illinois lobbied against the Blagojevich pardon, officials said.

“We are disappointed by the President’s commutation of Rod Blagojevich’s federal sentence. We believe he received an appropriate and fair sentence,” Illinois Republican Reps. Darin LaHood, John Shimkus, Adam Kinzinger, Rodney J. Davis and Mike Bost said in a statement. “History will not judge Rod Blagojevich well.”

Rep. Peter T. King (R-N.Y.), who signed a letter supporting the Kerik pardon, said the president “has had a lot of respect for Bernie over the years.” Geraldo Rivera also signed the letter and was instrumental in the pardon, King said.

Trump acknowledged that in deciding whom to pardon, “a lot of times I really rely on the people that know them.”

The head of the pardon office in the Department of Justice during the first two years of the Trump administration told The Washington Post that he quit last year because the White House had sidelined his office in favor of taking its cues from celebrities, political allies and Fox News.

DeBartolo, Kerik and Milken were all denied pardons under President Obama. Friedler never applied to the pardon office, Justice Department records show.

Most presidents in recent decades have faced accusations at one time or another that they exploited the pardon power. President Bill Clinton issued pardons in the final hours of his presidency to his half brother, a Whitewater business partner, his former housing secretary and a fugitive commodities trader married to a major Democratic donor.

Under Trump, however, politically motivated grants have become the rule, not the exception.

Obama granted an unprecedented number of commutations, about 1,700, under a sweeping initiative that prioritized nonviolent drug offenders. Nearly all of those selected had been sentenced under the mandatory-minimum penalties deployed during the “war on drugs” that critics say disproportionately punished minority communities. Nearly all of the people who received commutations from Obama were men and nearly 80 percent were African American and Hispanic, according to a report by the U.S. Sentencing Commission.

The program ended when Trump took office. He has granted clemency to only one African American man so far: the late boxer, Jack Johnson.

The White House also announced Tuesday that Trump had granted clemency to three women convicted of nonviolent drug or fraud offenses. The cases of Tynice Nichole Hall, Crystal Munoz and Judith Negron were all supported by Alice Johnson, a criminal justice advocate whose life sentence for a nonviolent drug offense Trump had commuted last year.

Johnson, whose case was featured in a Trump campaign ad aired during the Super Bowl this month, had been recommended to Trump by reality star and criminal justice advocate Kim Kardashian West.

“It’s a clemency process for the well-connected, and that’s it,” said Rachel Barkow, a New York University Law School professor and clemency expert. “Trump is wielding the power the way you would expect the leader of a banana republic who wants to reward his friends and cronies.”

Blagojevich was caught on FBI wiretaps talking about trying to sell Obama’s vacated Senate seat, saying it was a “valuable thing” and “you don’t just give it away for nothing.”

Trump has mentioned the Democrat’s case frequently in recent years, focusing on what Trump said was a disproportionate punishment for an offense he suggested was really just politics.

“He’s been in jail for seven years over a phone call where nothing happens — over a phone call which he shouldn’t have said what he said, but it was braggadocio, you would say,” Trump told reporters last year. “I would think that there have been many politicians — I’m not one of them, by the way — that have said a lot worse over the telephone.”

Trump first publicly mused about commuting Blagojevich’s sentence in 2018, when he exercised his clemency powers in a string of cases and speculated about others he might pardon. Others mentioned at the time included Martha Stewart, the television personality and lifestyle mogul who was convicted in 2004 of obstructing justice and lying to investigators about a well-timed stock sale.

Trump has routinely downplayed and mischaracterized the case against Blagojevich, whose trial included not only the wiretap but also numerous witnesses testifying that he had solicited campaign cash in exchange for official acts.

In comments last year, Trump also falsely blamed Blagojevich’s treatment on “the Comey gang and all these sleazebags,” a reference to James B. Comey, the FBI director Trump fired amid the mounting investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election. Comey was in the private sector at the time of Blagojevich’s prosecution and conviction in December 2011.

At fundraiser last year at his Chicago hotel, Trump polled the room on whether he should grant a pardon, taking some donors by surprise. Trump was pleased that so many people said they would be okay with it, people familiar with the event said.

Blagojevich’s turn as a contestant on Trump’s NBC reality show came after he was indicted but before his convictions. Trump praised Blagojevich at the time for having “a lot of guts” to appear on the program.

John Wagner and Marc Fisher contributed to this report.
Once more the message is clear: if you are rich, corrupt, and work to undermine government, democracy, and the rule of law, Donald has your back.

The Blagojevich commutation looks like its also probably yet another petty act to spite James Comey.

We definitely need a constitutional amendment to strip the President of the authority to pardon and commute. One man should not have the power to overturn the entire legal system for the benefit of his friends, allies, or personal vendettas.
"You pick the people who are going to die because you only sent 400 ventilators."-Governor Andrew Cuomo to "President" Donald Trump.

"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

Ocasio Cortez 2028!

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE IF TRUMP REFUSES TO LEAVE OFFICE.

User avatar
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard
Posts: 15420
Joined: 2002-09-16 11:13pm
Location: A video store in Australia

Re: Trump Dump: Internal Policy (Thread I)

Post by Gandalf » 2020-02-19 07:12pm

Yeah, it's maybe an upside to the whole Trump thing that it might make people a little more aware of how much the US is protected by norms as opposed to laws.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 20333
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: Trump Dump: Internal Policy (Thread I)

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2020-02-19 07:19pm

Gandalf wrote:
2020-02-19 07:12pm
Yeah, it's maybe an upside to the whole Trump thing that it might make people a little more aware of how much the US is protected by norms as opposed to laws.
This is true of most systems, to be honest.

There are plenty of laws that could and should constrain Trump... if they were enforced. They're not, though, because he's rich and powerful and he has one of two major parties almost entirely in his pocket, and the other party is divided over how to deal with him.

A law without the will to enforce it, and a culture that values the rule of law and fair play, is just a piece of paper, or at best a symbolic declaration of principles, not something with actual force.

But its also fair to say that US law grants the President a fuck-ton of power in the assumption that the President will use it honourably and well- and now we're seeing how flawed that assumption is. Of course, we've seen it before, albeit not this brazenly (Nixon comes immediately to mind, but there are other examples). But there was also the assumption that the other branches of government would actually function as checks and balances and reign a corrupt, criminal PotUS in (as they largely did, in the end, with Nixon). That is the assumption that is being proven wrong today.

The Founders prepared for a criminal PotUS- that's why they wrote that now-too-divisive-and-dangerous-to-be-used impeachment provision into the Constitution. But apparently, the Founders failed to consider a scenario where the Senate and a large portion of the Judiciary would be collaborating with a criminal PotUS.
"You pick the people who are going to die because you only sent 400 ventilators."-Governor Andrew Cuomo to "President" Donald Trump.

"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

Ocasio Cortez 2028!

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE IF TRUMP REFUSES TO LEAVE OFFICE.

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 20333
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: Trump Dump: Internal Policy (Thread I)

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2020-02-27 02:31pm

The march to fascism continues:

Appeals court rules Trump can withhold federal funds to sanctuary cities:

https://aljazeera.com/news/2020/02/cour ... 11923.html

Trump demands Left-wing Supreme Court Justices recuse themselves from all cases involving him:

https://theguardian.com/us-news/2020/fe ... r-ginsburg

Trump blames falling stock market on fears of Democrats winning:

https://cnbc.com/2020/02/26/trump-says- ... virus.html
"You pick the people who are going to die because you only sent 400 ventilators."-Governor Andrew Cuomo to "President" Donald Trump.

"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

Ocasio Cortez 2028!

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE IF TRUMP REFUSES TO LEAVE OFFICE.

User avatar
Knife
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 15622
Joined: 2002-08-30 02:40pm
Location: Behind the Zion Curtain
Contact:

Re: Trump Dump: Internal Policy (Thread I)

Post by Knife » 2020-03-01 08:53pm

Yeah, I'm not sure this doom and gloom of "if there is a brokered convention, Trump automatically wins". Sure, if the dems act like little children and start flinging pooh at each other I can see that. But just the act of, the crucible of, electing an nominee does not hurt them. If anything, it sharpens the candidates. It puts them through the ringer, inoculates them against GOPer and Trumper attacks.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 20333
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: Trump Dump: Internal Policy (Thread I)

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2020-03-01 09:07pm

Knife wrote:
2020-03-01 08:53pm
Yeah, I'm not sure this doom and gloom of "if there is a brokered convention, Trump automatically wins". Sure, if the dems act like little children and start flinging pooh at each other I can see that. But just the act of, the crucible of, electing an nominee does not hurt them. If anything, it sharpens the candidates. It puts them through the ringer, inoculates them against GOPer and Trumper attacks.
A contested convention means two things, right off the bat:

First, it means that the nominee will lack the support of the majority of Democratic primary voters going in.

Second, it means that the Democrats will have to wait until mid-summer to start running their general election campaign, meaning that Trump gets several extra months to build his general election war chest, and to run effectively unopposed.

It also most likely means, given the current math/polls, that Sanders came in with the most delegates. And given the attitude of the other candidates toward him, plus most of the super delegates, it likely means that the nominee is then given to a Centrist (probably Biden), despite Sanders having more votes going in.

It'll be, from the point of view of Sanders supporters, every "establishment rigged primary" theory made manifest. Sure, a lot of us will suck it up and vote Blue regardless, given the alternative. But many won't. Probably more won't than in 2016, because at least in 2016 there was no real doubt that Clinton came to the convention with more votes, and more delegates.

And Trump (and the Kremlin) will exploit that anger and division relentlessly. The "Crooked DNC rigged primary" talking points will practically write themselves. It'll be 2016 dialed up to eleven.

Any nominee who won a contested convention, however, would likely be weakened by the process, including Sanders. I won't say its impossible for the Dems to win in that scenario, but it would probably take something like a combination of a recession, coronavirus blowing up in Trump's face in just the right way, and Trump shooting a kid on live television to make it happen.
"You pick the people who are going to die because you only sent 400 ventilators."-Governor Andrew Cuomo to "President" Donald Trump.

"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

Ocasio Cortez 2028!

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE IF TRUMP REFUSES TO LEAVE OFFICE.

Post Reply