Trump Dump: Internal Policy (Thread I)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Trump Dump: Internal Policy (Thead I)

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I often find myself reminded of Percy Shelly's "Ozymandias" when I read about the Donald's latest bullshit.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I often find myself reminded of Percy Shelly's "Ozymandias" when I read about the Donald's latest bullshit.
The only difference is that Ozymandias actually built something great enough to survive as ruins. Trump and the right-wing death cult he's running only care about maximizing the amount of suffering in the world.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Civil War Man wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:I often find myself reminded of Percy Shelly's "Ozymandias" when I read about the Donald's latest bullshit.
The only difference is that Ozymandias actually built something great enough to survive as ruins. Trump and the right-wing death cult he's running only care about maximizing the amount of suffering in the world.
Now, that's not fair.

They also care about getting rich on the backs of other people.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

I'm waiting for someone to make a Trumpcare add with the tracks rolling over human skulls from the original Terminator....
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Going after the Corporation for Public Broadcasting is just...

It's like, what kind of political headspace do you have to be in, where declaring war on Elmo seems like a good idea?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Simon_Jester wrote:Going after the Corporation for Public Broadcasting is just...

It's like, what kind of political headspace do you have to be in, where declaring war on Elmo seems like a good idea?
The Republican headspace. Remember Romney wanting to gut funding for PBS and claiming that he loves Big Bird?

Republicans have an incredibly limited number of things they are willing to direct government money toward, and as a party average none of those things include actually helping people. Education bad. Food programs bad. So on. Bombing good, though!
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Lonestar wrote:Putting on my tinfoil hat here, it seems fairly obvious to me that someone in the Administration picked a "safe" year to leak a partial copy of returns to a gay liberal talking head on the left major news network in order to weaken the "release your taxes" movement.

Dalton was all over social media last night talking this up and then defending it when it was nothing when his employer got played hard for it.
I'm the first to admit that it was underwhelming and I also don't really understand the tone of your post. Like Flagg said she knew what she had and chose to report on it anyway, because that's the job.

EDIT: That's not to say that the social media team didn't overhype it. I can't speak to the decisions of the editorial team.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Flagg wrote:But yeah, it smells bad. Like The corpse of the intern they found in Joe Scarborough's office when he was in congress. I almost wonder if they're trying to get Maddow to leave.
TRMS is the highest-rated show on the network and has beaten FNC in key demos recently. There's no way they would try to oust her.
To Absent Friends

Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Regarding the tax returns, there's evidence suggesting that it was mailed out from Westchester NY the same weekend Donny's family was there. Tweet
To Absent Friends

Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Simon_Jester wrote:Going after the Corporation for Public Broadcasting is just...

The same kind of headspace that believes we really need to stick it to those lazy old people who are just laying about (due to the left side of their bodies being paralyzed from a stroke) and living high on the hog with Meals on Wheels just giving them edible food.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Here's a bit more info on Trump's budget "ideas":

I think the graphs more than suffice though I included the full article below:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-budg ... -1.4027472

Not pictured are some "smaller" groups including the National Endowment for the Arts and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which saw their funding cut completely. Because who needs silly things like arts and public broadcasting? The only thing 'Murica needs is guns, guns, and more guns! Oh and a wall :roll:

Can't wait to see his proposals for the May budget :(
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Easy. If people really like Elmo et al, then they'll buy stuff from the IP. Free market solutions!

But the CPB is also the home of scary leftists, so a little anger should make it all go down smooth.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Oops, I Forgot to add titles above... think of it as a matching exercise :P
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

So he is cutting the resources of diplomacy and American soft power (state department) only to increase the spending on hard power (Defence). I mean it is just about exactly what one would expect but honestly....I mean even the hardcore conservative intellectuals do realize that soft and hard power go hand in hand?

This looks just like some kind of penis-lengthening budget so that he can stand on the deck of another carrier and say "mission accomplished, USA great again" while everything else goes to shit.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Well, looks like I'll be updating our agency contact list. Question? Do they make a mailing address that's just a slot over a paper shredder? I mean, they'd need a heavy duty one, but it's not like there would be anyone around to read our mailings anyway.

But the amount of blowback even from Republicans means this is going to get numerous rewrites, unless they totally cave which I just cannot see happening. This budget attacks key GOP area as well. But still, I'm sure EPAs getting cut no matter what gets done. That and Sesame Street. Isn't their a gay character on the show now? HERESEY!

They really need to caricature the shit out of this like they did for Romney. I want photoshops of Trump fighting Big Bird and I want them now.
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

It should be noted that for the cuts suggested for the department of agriculture the vast majority of that is for the US Forest Service. Farming subsidies are untouched from what I saw. This is a prelude to wanting to sell off federal land if I had to guess by saying "look how badly they manage the land when we take away all their money!" The short term consequence of this is no money for wildfire suppression. The forest service should really be called The fire service as a majority of it's budget has gone to fighting wildfires over the past decade. That sure as hell isn't a bill the states will want to pick up.

Really though we will have to see what congress does. Especially with Trump his budget is meaningless because his team is utterly incompetent so they drive the process even less than normal. Not that I expect good things from congress given half the fuckers want to give up federal land ownership.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Raj Ahten wrote:It should be noted that for the cuts suggested for the department of agriculture the vast majority of that is for the US Forest Service. Farming subsidies are untouched from what I saw. This is a prelude to wanting to sell off federal land if I had to guess by saying "look how badly they manage the land when we take away all their money!" The short term consequence of this is no money for wildfire suppression. The forest service should really be called The fire service as a majority of it's budget has gone to fighting wildfires over the past decade. That sure as hell isn't a bill the states will want to pick up.

Really though we will have to see what congress does. Especially with Trump his budget is meaningless because his team is utterly incompetent so they drive the process even less than normal. Not that I expect good things from congress given half the fuckers want to give up federal land ownership.
Got to give the Bundy terrorists what they wanted, I guess.

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Fuck farm subsidies, and fuck farmers. 99% of what is grown goes into animal feed. And bad harvest? More money!

What happens if the fishermen have a bad year? They go hungry.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Thanas wrote:So he is cutting the resources of diplomacy and American soft power (state department) only to increase the spending on hard power (Defence). I mean it is just about exactly what one would expect but honestly....I mean even the hardcore conservative intellectuals do realize that soft and hard power go hand in hand?

This looks just like some kind of penis-lengthening budget so that he can stand on the deck of another carrier and say "mission accomplished, USA great again" while everything else goes to shit.
You don't seem to know the American right very well. They think anything but violence is weak and useless. Instead of "Speak softly and carry a big stick" they go with "Scream at everyone, pointing rocket launchers at everything." They think brute intimidation is all you need and anything else makes you soft and will make the world laugh at you.

That being said, this budget proposal looks like something you'd get if someone is planning to start a war.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:
Thanas wrote:So he is cutting the resources of diplomacy and American soft power (state department) only to increase the spending on hard power (Defence). I mean it is just about exactly what one would expect but honestly....I mean even the hardcore conservative intellectuals do realize that soft and hard power go hand in hand?

You don't seem to know the American right very well. They think anything but violence is weak and useless. Instead of "Speak softly and carry a big stick" they go with "Scream at everyone, pointing rocket launchers at everything." They think brute intimidation is all you need and anything else makes you soft and will make the world laugh at you.
Yeah, these are people who watched "Team America: World Police" and viewed it as a validation of their simple minded shithead racist warmongering ideology.
That being said, this budget proposal looks like something you'd get if someone is planning to start a war.
Yeah, Iran.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

I'd wager Norks at present
To Absent Friends

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Dalton wrote:I'd wager Norks at present
That's just crazy enough to be true considering President Pussygrabber doesn't care about nuked American troops since most soldiers are plebes.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Raj Ahten wrote:It should be noted that for the cuts suggested for the department of agriculture the vast majority of that is for the US Forest Service. Farming subsidies are untouched from what I saw. This is a prelude to wanting to sell off federal land if I had to guess by saying "look how badly they manage the land when we take away all their money!" The short term consequence of this is no money for wildfire suppression. The forest service should really be called The fire service as a majority of it's budget has gone to fighting wildfires over the past decade. That sure as hell isn't a bill the states will want to pick up.
Yeah, it's what the Runnydiarrheacans are doing to the Post Office by making them fund retirement benefits 75 years into the future so that they can never turn a profit. And if you removed that ridiculous requirement they'd be hundreds of millions if not a billion or 2 in the black, IIRC.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

The funny thing is that just 2 months (give or take) into Donnie Douchebag's Presidency, along with a Congress run by people whose IQ numbers average at less than the number of teeth I have (none) I can actually envision the states calling a constitutional amendment.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Dalton wrote:I'd wager Norks at present
Or he just thinks he is being clever by rattling the sabre a bit before opening negotiations. Problem is being a laughing stock doesn't help project toughness and the North holds some very good trump cards of their own.

Also remember how fast Trump talked back his not recognizing the One China policy bullshit? He might only follow through on targets he can bully without consequence, like immigrants from certain Muslim countries. The man is a total blowhard. I do believe he has settled lawsuits when he says he never does as well. Talks tough but folds in the end.