Trump Dump: Internal Policy (Thread I)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Trump Dump: Internal Policy (Thread I)

Post by The Romulan Republic »

CNN had a constitutional expert on last night saying how the President can use a declaration of emergency to reallocate funding already allocated to the military (other Presidents have done it on numerous occasions). Although I personally think its a bit muddled by the fact that this would obviously be a bogus "emergency" declared for political reasons to bypass Congressional oversight, at least to anyone who hasn't drunk the Trump Kool Aid.

However, it most definitely does not mean that he can just have the military seize private lands for his pet project. That would be illegal.

Edit: And since the majority of land on the border is privately owned... yeah. Not much of a wall for Dickless.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I'm not at all sure the PotUS can commandeer state-owned land, either. As opposed to Federally-owned land.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yup.

If he does this, I fully expect California, at least, to tell him to fuck right off, and take a challenge all the way to the Supreme Court.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

If deep red state Texas gun nuts don't defend against the government taking their land, I will relentlessly mock gun nuts their bullshit 2nd amendment claims are useless.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

No, see, governments taking your private property is only bad if the Democrats do it. When Dear Leader does it, its okay.

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Anyone else worried that, if this land theft goes ahead, they might try to grab Mexican land at the same time ?

Maybe because it makes the wall cheaper if they cut through Mexico, maybe because someone misreads the map.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

bilateralrope wrote: 2019-01-07 09:54pm Anyone else worried that, if this land theft goes ahead, they might try to grab Mexican land at the same time ?

Maybe because it makes the wall cheaper if they cut through Mexico, maybe because someone misreads the map.
Misreading a map is a part of Grand US History! See Fort Montgomery (aka Fort Blunder), Minnesota's Northwest Angle, and I'm sure dozens of other mistakes where mountains or rivers/creeks are in the wrong place.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I doubt we'll see a land grab attempt against Mexico. I believe that would be considered an Act of War.

If Trump did try that, I can't see the US Congress or Senate NOT impeaching him and removing him from office.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

On that note, how far from the border would the wall need to be for it to be constructed without any of the builders stepping into Mexico ?
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

A large portion of the border is already in Federal hands.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

There is a definite lack of such Federally owned land in Texas, though. And while there is Federal land abutting the border in California, Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico it is not contiguous. You're still looking at grabbing a fuck-ton of land.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

Broomstick wrote: 2019-01-08 07:24am There is a definite lack of such Federally owned land in Texas, though. And while there is Federal land abutting the border in California, Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico it is not contiguous. You're still looking at grabbing a fuck-ton of land.
Nevada?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Right- sorry, for some reason I thought a bit of Nevada hit the southern border. My bad.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

The last map Patraklos showed made it look as if Nevada was on the southern border. A likely source of confusion.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Especially pre-dawn when one has not finished one's first mug of tea for the morning....

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

For some reason, the sector boundaries don't match the state borders where Nevada is concerned on that map. :?
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Patroklos wrote: 2019-01-08 06:27am A large portion of the border is already in Federal hands.<snip images>
And a more substantial portion isn't. How much should the owners of the private land be compensated? What about the tribal lands? Do you propose the government seize even more?
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Napoleon the Clown wrote: 2019-01-08 06:45pm
Patroklos wrote: 2019-01-08 06:27am A large portion of the border is already in Federal hands.<snip images>
And a more substantial portion isn't. How much should the owners of the private land be compensated? What about the tribal lands? Do you propose the government seize even more?
You will find no advocate for eminent domain from me. And while I am an advocate for a significant expansion of physical barriers along certain portions of the border, I am no fan of a contiguous barrier.

But yes, where the wall is expanded for whatever reason, market value should be paid or lease/access equitably negotiated. I don't think the big issue here will be the land itself in most cases given the vast majority of it that needs to be acquired is a state friendly to the proposal and border land owners are some of the greatest advocates of the initiative. Its the water rights and access to the Rio Grande that the land owners rely on that will be the sticking point.

This is the best I could find for state land for Texas.

It should also be noted that for basic illegal immigration purposes you don't have to have the barrier or whatever enforcement mechanism directly on the the border. If it makes sense geographically or land rights wise to have it well inside it serves the same purpose as long as it provides for detection/apprehension/prevention, especially if whatever land ends up outside the barrier is uninhabited or otherwise barren/inhospitable. It gets trickier with asylum seekers.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-01-07 01:12pm CNN had a constitutional expert on last night saying how the President can use a declaration of emergency to reallocate funding already allocated to the military (other Presidents have done it on numerous occasions). Although I personally think its a bit muddled by the fact that this would obviously be a bogus "emergency" declared for political reasons to bypass Congressional oversight, at least to anyone who hasn't drunk the Trump Kool Aid.

However, it most definitely does not mean that he can just have the military seize private lands for his pet project. That would be illegal.

Edit: And since the majority of land on the border is privately owned... yeah. Not much of a wall for Dickless.
Nixon tried to "impound" federal funds Congress had decided to spend. The courts laughed his case out the door. Congress has the keys to the vault for a reason. When Truman declared an emergency and tried to seize a bunch of steel mills, he was also laughed out of court. The problem is, today's courts are so stacked with outright fascists that Il Douchebag could say that all Muslims should to wear a yellow crescent patch on their clothes and this Supreme Court would give it the OK.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, not quite. We have four liberal justices*... and Roberts. Roberts doesn't always vote Republican as a Justice, and he seems to value maintaining the Court's image of impartiality. So I doubt he would vote in favour of what would amount to a massive upheaval of the system of checks and balances on which America was founded.

*All this presumes RBG lives until Trump is out of office. We can only hope.

Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Patroklos wrote: 2019-01-09 01:20am
Napoleon the Clown wrote: 2019-01-08 06:45pm
You will find no advocate for eminent domain from me. And while I am an advocate for a significant expansion of physical barriers along certain portions of the border, I am no fan of a contiguous barrier.

But yes, where the wall is expanded for whatever reason, market value should be paid or lease/access equitably negotiated. I don't think the big issue here will be the land itself in most cases given the vast majority of it that needs to be acquired is a state friendly to the proposal and border land owners are some of the greatest advocates of the initiative. Its the water rights and access to the Rio Grande that the land owners rely on that will be the sticking point.
Ask (often former) land owners how that went down in 2008. I have seen no indication that there are people who own land near the border that actively want the government to come and pay them a pittance, take the matter to court (for years) to get something approaching market value, or be forced off the land by force. Have a Twitter thread by the Texas Tribune that gives an indication of why it's a terribly naive to think the US government would offer a fair deal. Especially under Donald "Stiff the Contractors" Trump.
This is the best I could find for state land for Texas.

<image>

It should also be noted that for basic illegal immigration purposes you don't have to have the barrier or whatever enforcement mechanism directly on the the border. If it makes sense geographically or land rights wise to have it well inside it serves the same purpose as long as it provides for detection/apprehension/prevention, especially if whatever land ends up outside the barrier is uninhabited or otherwise barren/inhospitable. It gets trickier with asylum seekers.
Physical barriers suck at doing anything about immigration unless you're willing to go so far as to have armed guards patrolling them, ready to gun down anyone that tries to cross. In which case, Добро пожаловать в Советский Союз, товарищ!

Hell, Trump is proposing steel slats instead of a big, concrete wall. An almost... curtain like barrier. Made from a substance that is primarily iron. An iron curtain, if you will.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Patroklos wrote: 2019-01-09 01:20amYou will find no advocate for eminent domain from me. And while I am an advocate for a significant expansion of physical barriers along certain portions of the border, I am no fan of a contiguous barrier.

What happens to those for whom the land is more than a fiscal asset, and don't care about "market value?"
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-01-10 12:10am What happens to those for whom the land is more than a fiscal asset, and don't care about "market value?"
I am pretty sure I covered this from my personal perspective:
Patroklos wrote:You will find no advocate for eminent domain from me. And while I am an advocate for a significant expansion of physical barriers along certain portions of the border, I am no fan of a contiguous barrier.

You do what you can, where you can, where you feel you need to. There are places that don't have a wall that probably need one, and places that do where it really doesn't make sense. We don't get to build highways wherever we want either, (or at least shouldn't be able too) but we adapt.

As for where a wall doesn't make sense, a good portion of that is exactly where the majority of non federal border land is in Texas:

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Donald Trump visits US-Mexico border amid impasse over wall funding

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

President Donald Trump has threatened to declare a national emergency to circumvent Congress if he cannot reach a deal with Democrats to fund his promised border wall.

He spent most of Thursday in Texas near the US-Mexico border in a bid to draw further attention to his case after negotiations with politicians stalled.

The partial government shutdown dragged into a 20th day with hundreds of thousands of federal workers off the job or working without pay as the wall fight persisted.

Asked about a national emergency declaration, Mr Trump said as he left the White House: “I’m not prepared to do that yet, but if I have to I will.”

He contends such a declaration would allow him to direct the military to begin wall construction.
Link. So he's throwing a tantrum and paving the way for the military to be deployed on US soil.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Yep, basically.

And fuck the people who actually do the work of the government.