Arnold Schwarzenegger for President

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Arnold Schwarzenegger for President

Post by Simon_Jester »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Rather than trying to go through that whole post and reply line by line, I'll just say this, and I hope it covers the key points:

I am not blind to the need to reach out to ones' political opponents, and I don't think every Republican is a mini-Trump or something, though at the same time, I don't think you can deny that a large number of Republicans favour policies, like strict voter ID laws, that are a direct threat to democracy, or that Trump is increasingly showing signs of being an authoritarian strong man, including hostility to the press and judiciary and unilaterally violating the Constitution to persecute minorities.

That said... why is it always the Democrats who have to compromise and respect the other side? Because after the last decade or so, telling me "You need to comprise", as a Democrat, sounds a lot like "You need to keep taking it up the ass and pretending you like it." Compromise is a two-way street. Otherwise, again, its just another name for capitulation.
I don't care about that. I care about winning.

As an example, you know what I think would have been a smart maneuver? If Hillary Clinton had said in, oh, May of 2016, something like: "Okay, gun control is a nonstarter. No seriously, gun control people, I'm sorry, but we are not on, I am so done with you. If you expect to get more gun bans in my administration, expect to be disappointed. You are the weakest link, goodbye." [FOOTNOTE BELOW]

Done properly? I bet that would have gotten those 200,000 or so key swing voters in those three key Rust Belt swing states to stay home. Or even vote Clinton.

Now, is that compromising with Trump on any issue Trump cares about? No. Trump's probably just as happy with gun control, because that means he can afford armed body guards and angry poor people can't. Is it compromising with the Republican Party on any issue the party leadership cares about? Not really; the only reason they care about gun control is that the NRA gives them donations and that they can use it to create a bloc of millions of single-issue voters who will vote for them blindfolded.

It's not compromising with the Republicans. It's compromising with Republican voters. Specifically, with a select minority of those voters whose support for the party would be profoundly shaken if the Democrats suddenly started actively opposing gun bans. And that select minority of voters are in fact every bit as much the constituents of a Democratic elected politician as the Democrats who do most of the work of voting them into office.

When politicians compromise with their own voting constituency? That is not called "taking it up the ass." That is called "winning."

This is not about principle. This is not about being high and idealistic. The crude, simple reality is that you cannot win in a political arena you do not understand. Or in an arena you refuse on principle to understand. Or in an arena you refuse to even enter because it would mean getting icky Republican voter ectoplasm all over you or something because they're "delusional."

And no, I am NOT attributing any specific stated opinion to you here. I am describing a pattern of behavior, one that you partially match, that others partially match, and that others match very well indeed. It is a very toxic pattern of behavior. Without it, Trump could not have won- he needed many other things but he certainly needed this one.

The toxic pattern of behavior here is to dismiss one's political opponents and their supporters as a mass of crazy/delusional/stupid/evil/whatever people. People who are not really worth the effort to even engage with as individuals, let alone as a group. Note, I repeat, in case this was not sufficiently obvious: I said engage with, not capitulate to.

A faction that resolves to win political disputes by not interacting with people who aren't already aligned with the faction... is going to lose. It is that simple.

FOOTNOTE:
[Note, I'm sure people will say "but everyone would assume it was a trick!" I am aware that this might happen, but can we please not discuss it because it is not the point, and you know what I mean.]
If Republicans want respect, they should respect others. If they want compromise, they should be willing to compromise. I see precious little of either from the current Republican Party, and while their are exceptions, they are either silent, or drowned out. If one chooses to remain part of an organization that behaves in such a manner, what am I supposed to think?
You are supposed to think that the Republican Party organization, flawed though it is, really does look like the best available option to a lot of Americans. And you are supposed to think "gee, how the hell did we end up in a place where THAT looks like the best we can do?" And you are supposed to think "maybe we need to create a path that actually lets sensible people with self respect and different political opinions LEAVE this toxic organization." And "maybe we should be prepared to treat these individuals with a degree of respect and compromise, encouraging them to leave, rather than sneering at them, discouraging them from leaving."
I had hoped that more Republicans might take a stand against Trump, or that a catastrophic loss might precipitate such a shift. But the overwhelming majority of the party ultimately toed the line (if often grudgingly) and voted for the Orange Rapist, or at least did not openly stand against him, proving the Republican Party even more craven and broken than I thought.
Well, I'll tell you this. If the Republican voter base proved itself broken by overwhelmingly toeing the line and voting for Trumpolini... Every Democrat who called Republican voters stupid, who adopted the language of mockery and derision, every Democrat who openly advocated the kinds of thing that Republicans point to and correctly consider to be undesirable slippery slopes on issues like gun control, every Democrat who refused to actually go down to grassroots level and at least notice what Republican voters were saying, in favor of the endless commentator circle-jerk...

All of us who did those things (and I'm not excluding myself because I certainly can't prove myself INNOCENT of this)... All of us helped break that voter base.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Simon_Jester wrote:You can be in muck for reasons that aren't your fault.

The question is always going to be, now that you are in muck, what are you going to do about it? There are answers to this question that deserve no moral blame, but which do not reduce to "leave the muck." Especially when the choice in the eyes of the person making the decision is "leave this muck to go wallow in the other muck."

This seems like a fairly irreducible set of common-sense moral principles to me.
I love it when people appeal to "common sense principles." It's one of those great sounding phrases that in reality means less than a fart in the wind fuelled by sentimentality.

Aside from that part I can't discern the meaning of your post aside from some attempt at proclaiming "Not all Republicans!"
The Romulan Republic wrote:By that standard, pretty much anyone who has ever voted in a US election (or the elections of most other countries, I imagine) at the Federal level is responsible for murder.
Yep. Democracy is hard. It's a serious business and one of the greatest responsibilities a citizen has. I would hope that if more people took politics more seriously than barracking for a sports team (ALL GLORY TO PARTY LOYALTY!), then they might either decide that they're cool with murder, or they'll stop putting murderers up for election.
To me, at this point, saying "I'm a moderate Republican" honestly isn't all that different from saying "I'm a moderate Klansman"- a statement that's ludicrous on the face of it, and offers no excuse.
Pretty much. When the party voted for the guy who advocated nukes to sort out ISIL, it's hard to imagine who the moderate is and what they think they're saving. Are they hearkening back to the good old days of Bush and his war crimes? Nixon and his breaking into opposition offices? Eisenhower and his overthrowing democracies that have the audacity to sit on oil?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Simon_Jester wrote:As an example, you know what I think would have been a smart maneuver? If Hillary Clinton had said in, oh, May of 2016, something like: "Okay, gun control is a nonstarter. No seriously, gun control people, I'm sorry, but we are not on, I am so done with you. If you expect to get more gun bans in my administration, expect to be disappointed. You are the weakest link, goodbye." [FOOTNOTE BELOW]

Done properly? I bet that would have gotten those 200,000 or so key swing voters in those three key Rust Belt swing states to stay home. Or even vote Clinton.
Counterproposal from a GUN BOARD RAR:

"She thought the election was such a lock she went hardcore anti-gun during the campaign, knowing it would harm her but expecting there to be such a Hillary landslide that she could afford to take a hit and after her inevitable victory semi-plausibly claim that her win proved that the majority of Americans favored strict gun control, expunging the memory of the 1994 post AWB Democratic slaughter.

If this happened it would have injected some spine into numerous Democrats in Congress and pussy Republicans would be flipping all over the place.

I'm certain she would have gotten no fly/no buy and would have "closed the gun show loophole" with universal registration and gun imports would have been all but choked off.

Pretty good chance there would have been an AWB II, a national gun storage law designed to cost us more money, an end to bulk internet ammo sales, and a whole bunch of other bullshit. "
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Shep? I feel like I'm missing something. Is this a description of a counterfactual (I gather it is)? And if it's a counterfactual, how does this lead to a win for her?
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Simon_Jester wrote:Shep? I feel like I'm missing something. Is this a description of a counterfactual (I gather it is)? And if it's a counterfactual, how does this lead to a win for her?
The first half (about how she felt she had such a lock on winning the election that she tacked to the left on GERNS in order to expunge the fear of the 1994 AWB) has a strong sense of reality/politics to it. She thought the election was basically a shoe in (98%+ chance to beat TROMP), so she took a gamble.

The second half about what she might have done, while speculative; is based on the "wish list" that comes up each time GERN KONTROLL comes up from the KONTROLLERS.

There's also some vague hints of PR media messaging -- remember that movie MISS SLOANE that bombed utterly? The timing for that movie suggests it was done when Hillary looked like she'd bitchslap TROMP and the timing (right after election day release), also suggests it was part of an Information Operations (IO) operation to shape the battlefield of GERN KONTROLL.

Anyway, theres' been some new developments in MERRYLAND, so I'm gonna revive that GERN KONTROLL thread from the dusts.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Arnie was a pretty lousy Governor, I don't think he'd magically improve as a President. His fiscal policy is very Austrian economics, I'm pretty sure that's not what we need right now.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I'm not going to say he was a good governor, but unless I'm mistaken he didn't govern California in an openly trashy and horrible way. Which would at least be an improvement.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Yeah. I can't say that he'd be good. Just that he would be better than Trump.

Much like I can't say that getting herpes is good, but it beats getting AIDS.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Block wrote:Arnie was a pretty lousy Governor, I don't think he'd magically improve as a President. His fiscal policy is very Austrian economics, I'm pretty sure that's not what we need right now.
Yeah, I seem to recall him leaving CA in a really shitty economical state, but if he left in 2009/2010 that wouldn't be entirely his fault. I also will point out his ethics (or lack of them) were atrocious since when it came out that he was sexually assaulting women on movie sets (which he all but admitted to) he said he's form an investigative committee which either got shut down or was never started, I can't recall the specifics.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

The Romulan Republic wrote:You've got to admit, as much as I hate the celebrification of politics, Ahnold would have the best campaign slogans.

Ahnold 2020: Vote for me if you want to live! (which could be depressingly accurate if he ran against Trump).

And for his re-election campaign:

Ahnold 2024: I'll be back!
Necroed the thread....But I found this

Theres also sales of T-shirts and stickers....

So
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

He'd probably have to pay off whoever owns the IP rights to his movies, but that's small potatoes.

No, seriously, if it weren't for the citizenship thing I'd say that the Republicans running Ahnuld in 2020 would be a significant improvement, though not a great improvement because Ahnuld's past personal life is just as sleazy as Trumpolini's. But at least he's not financially corrupt to the tune of millions a year, not as far as I know.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Simon_Jester wrote:No, seriously, if it weren't for the citizenship thing I'd say that the Republicans running Ahnuld in 2020 would be a significant improvement
I'm not sure that it really matters what the Constitution says on the matter now that Trump is president. And Arnold could be trusted to go on TV if he won and publicly say, "Hey Donnie Boy: You're fired!"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I can't say that their aren't quite a few million people I'd rather have for President than Arnold (cool campaign slogan potential aside), but if it was Trump vs. Arnold- yeah, I'm voting for the Terminator.* :D

The birthright citizenship requirement is stupid and offensive regardless. I'd be tempted to say "unAmerican" if I didn't hate it when people label things they disagree with unAmerican. Our Declaration of Independence says "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...", and our Constitution's 14th. Amendment guarantees legal equality. The birthright citizenship requirement is at odds with the best of our countries' founding and Constitutional principles.

*Granted, I'd vote for a baboon on crack, a bucket of dried paint, or a puddle of piss for President before I'd vote for Trump, but at least I'd trust Ahnold to be able to do the job and probably not blow up civilization.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

It's specifically in there so that Alexander Hamilton couldn't be President, I believe; Jefferson and he really didn't get along.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

And yet... Hamilton voted for Jefferson in the tie breaker needed for the election between Jefferson and Burr.

(If I recall correctly, Hamilton justified that by saying that even if he detested Jefferson he felt Jefferson would be better for the nation than Burr... which given how Burr turned out was probably true.)
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Plus, it's not as though Hamilton and Burr were on great terms, either. :D Or did that come later? It's been a while since I read anything detailed on the period.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I can't say that their aren't quite a few million people I'd rather have for President than Arnold (cool campaign slogan potential aside), but if it was Trump vs. Arnold- yeah, I'm voting for the Terminator.* :D

The birthright citizenship requirement is stupid and offensive regardless. I'd be tempted to say "unAmerican" if I didn't hate it when people label things they disagree with unAmerican.
Personally, I think "un-American" is one of those words the left needs to take back.

Virtually all Americans, including the low-information voters and the con victims, harbor a conviction on some level that "America is a free country," et cetera. The great challenge the left faces in the US is to get just a few percent more Americans to wake up and smell the coffee. Towards this end, it can only be helpful if people constantly emphasize that we are supposed to be living in a land of freedom and opportunity, and instead we are not, because of fucked-up tinpot wanna-be dictatorial crap.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Broomstick wrote:And yet... Hamilton voted for Jefferson in the tie breaker needed for the election between Jefferson and Burr.

(If I recall correctly, Hamilton justified that by saying that even if he detested Jefferson he felt Jefferson would be better for the nation than Burr... which given how Burr turned out was probably true.)
"I have never agreed with Jefferson once.
We have fought on like 75 different fronts.
But when all is said and all is done.
Jefferson has beliefs. Burr has none."

I believe that is the historical quote.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Esquire wrote:It's specifically in there so that Alexander Hamilton couldn't be President, I believe; Jefferson and he really didn't get along.
Hamilton was at the convention, Jefferson wasn't. And I don't know that it applied to people who were here when the declaration was signed/the war was fought. I don't think it ever came to a test given how much of an idiot Hamilton was personally.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.