Trump passes executive order restricting immigration, in violation of the Constitution.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Trump passes executive order restricting immigration, in violation of the Constitution.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Ralin wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote: Remember, Trump hasn't actually got massive armies of stormtroopers or thugs organized and in a position to make arrests. That is one of the limits of analogies between Trump and, say, Mussolini. Mussolini organized his paramilitary "Black Shirts" before gaining political power. Trump has no such thing. He might be able to recruit goon squads willing to arrest people who obey a court order instead of a Trump order given time, but the goon squads don't already exist as squads with leadership and equipment and a payroll and so on.
Of course he does! Haven't you ever heard of the Fraternal Order of Police? The National Guard? The United States Army?
Which presumes that they will all follow Trump blindly (presuming you're being serious and not facetious here).

Consider that the two most popular candidates in the armed forces were reportedly Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders. Consider that the military swears its allegiance to the Constitution, not the President. The Police Union may endorse Trump, and the FBI seem to be his loyal lickspittles, which is certainly troubling, but I have a very hard time seeing the National Guard, including National Guard forces from blue states, all falling mindlessly into line.

Of course, if it gets to the point where the loyalty of the police and armed forces is the decisive question, we're already in deep shit, so hopefully things don't go that far.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Trump passes executive order restricting immigration, in violation of the Constitution.

Post by Simon_Jester »

Joun_Lord wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:Are you advancing the argument that these fearful reactions are justified? Or are you simply stating that they exist? The former is... not a good thing to claim. The latter is obvious.
I'm saying the fear exists and I understand the reasons for being afraid, not justifying the fear or excusing the actions caused by the fear.
We are past the point where talking about how 'the fear is understandable' has much place in serious discussions of what is and is not constitutional, or what is and is not to be done about a president who is trying to tear up the Constitution and the civil service sworn to enforce it within a week of taking power.

I have no sympathy for what Trump is trying to do. And I have no sympathy for anyone who supports what he's doing because they've somehow, in the total absence of direct threats to their life, worked themselves up into a frenzy. A frenzy over the hypothetical possibility of a terrorist attack that is less likely to actually hurt them personally than a lightning bolt is.

I can psychoanalyze it, but I cannot respect it.

And the psychoanalysis is already over and done with, and the lunatics have taken over the asylum. Now is not the time for further psychoanalysis, it is time to discuss the consequences and how the madness can be brought back under control.

Trying to talk about this as though it is a sympathetic thing... it is useless. Those poor, poor people who are perfectly 100% safe and want to condemn thousands or millions to death in order to avoid ending up only 99.9999% safe... I cannot respect that. I don't think anyone with a moral center can respect that. It is an argument of cowardice, of defeatism, of surrender, of "let the terrorists win without firing a shot at us."

What's the point of even bringing up how sympathetic and understandable it is? It is the product of national hysteria, brought about by decades of fearmongering over terrorism, to the point where we are successfully terrified by even the thought of doing anything that might help the victims of the terrorism. To the point where we're throwing away and condeming even our own allies who helped us when they WERE at real risk of losing THEIR friends and loved ones.

See, you don't actually have to explain to me why people think this way. Everyone understands already. But understanding it is not respecting it. And talking about it like it's an opinion worthy of respect, when we are already seeing atrocities and violations of the Constitution being committed in the name of it...

There is really no reason to keep doing this, if one is not trying to justify the madness and the cowardice. I see no reason to continue trying.
Simon_Jester wrote:It's WORSE.

Banning assault weapons doesn't kill people or throw them in a prison or deport them into a war zone. It means the loss of some valuable personal property, but that's it. Sending thousands or millions of people into a war zone or a prison is not comparable with a firearms ban, unless you can demonstrate that the consequences of disarming people involve thousands or millions of deaths and ruined lives.
Again, not making a 1 to 1 comparison. This ban is similar to a weapons ban because its done not to actually make anyone safer but done for a political reason and justified on shoddy evidence.
A gesture that causes no physical harm to anyone is not 'similar to' an act that imprisons thousands and consigns millions more to be brutalized by terrorists.

It's like comparing a beating that knocks someone's teeth out, to a kiss. Why even bother doing that? Why bring it up, except in an attempt to pretend that the beating is something other than a crime?

If you are not trying to defend this act, there is little point in defending the mindset that gave rise to this act, or trying to compare it to relatively mild things that are part of American "politics as usual." To do so is to lull yourself into a false sense of security.
Its not almost unprecedented, its quite precedented. While I would not call this an atrocity, certainly not something on the level of the Trail of Tears or slavery, its still a pretty shitty act that followed plenty of shitty acts even in the 20th century, even in the 21st century.

Things like forced assimilation of Natives and removal of their children that continued until the 70s, forced sterilization of "undesirables", testing on American soldiers like the Tuskegee airman, the decades of lynchings and racially motivated murders including some done by or supported by police and politicians, the fire bombing of Dresden, the forced relocation of Bikini Atoll residents, the war crimes in Iraqistan and Afghanistan, the War in Iraq itself, the campaign of drone warfare that kills scores of civilians to this day and probably to this second, the Fast and Furious gun walking scandal that gave guns to mexican drug cartels, the overthrowing of governments in Central of South America, torture of prisoners in black site prison, black site prisons, mass spying on the American population, the horribly destructive War on Drugs, and no doubt much more.

The difference between those acts and this is this acts on fucking Twitter.

We like pretty much any other nation are a nation built upon terrible things, a nation that still does terrible things, a nation that tries to forget its past and damn sure keeps repeating it.

Things might be better now, I don't recall us massacring any Native Americans in awhile, but by no means are they perfect and it wasn't so long ago shit was straight up fucking horrible.

Don't believe for a single gosh darn minute Trump is somehow unique or his actions are. They aren't, not by a long shit. The only real difference is Trump is such a massive cunt he advertises when he does horrible shit.
May I ask, in simple terms, what the point is of even saying all this?

I will admit that if you choose to ignore the laws forbidding people to do these things, then you can find "precedent" for Americans doing such things in the past. If all you were doing was bickering over my choice of words, fine, you win.

But what is the point? Seriously, what is the point? Why put so much time and effort into comparing bad actions to less-bad actions, and saying they're understandable, and how other (equally wrong) things have happened in the past? I did not actually come out and say "this is literally the worst thing that has ever happened in America." I have given you no reason to assume I am so pig-ignorant of history that you need to educate me by saying "slavery happened, the Trail of Tears happened, the Iraq War happened."

If I am perhaps disapproving of this unconstitutional act a little too loudly, why is it so important in your mind to take time and effort to disagree with me?

I do not understand.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Worth noting that the Executive Order in question allows entry into the country from those nations if the person entering is Christian. It does not, however, allow entry into the country if the person entering is Jewish. So, the fact that he signed this order explicitly keeping Jewish refugees out on Holocaust Remembrance Day is, y'know, horrifying.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Very well said, Simon_Jester.
Terralthra wrote:Worth noting that the Executive Order in question allows entry into the country from those nations if the person entering is Christian. It does not, however, allow entry into the country if the person entering is Jewish. So, the fact that he signed this order explicitly keeping Jewish refugees out on Holocaust Remembrance Day is, y'know, horrifying.
Got to keep his Klan voters happy I suppose. :finger:
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

The Romulan Republic wrote: Which presumes that they will all follow Trump blindly (presuming you're being serious and not facetious here).
I don't think they'll follow Trump blindly. I think they'll do it eagerly, fully in favor of what he's trying to accomplish.
Consider that the two most popular candidates in the armed forces were reportedly Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders. Consider that the military swears its allegiance to the Constitution, not the President. The Police Union may endorse Trump, and the FBI seem to be his loyal lickspittles, which is certainly troubling, but I have a very hard time seeing the National Guard, including National Guard forces from blue states, all falling mindlessly into line.
The United States military does not have a history of disobeying 'illegal' orders and has a great history of punishing the minority of its members who do. The fuckers who fought Bush's war in Iraq and made it possible for Obama to drone murder people for the crime of making YouTube videos and attending the wrong wedding are not going to discover their collective consciences once the president orders them to do more of the same at home.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Ralin wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote: Which presumes that they will all follow Trump blindly (presuming you're being serious and not facetious here).
I don't think they'll follow Trump blindly. I think they'll do it eagerly, fully in favor of what he's trying to accomplish.
Some would, certainly.

But I think that it is a great assumption (and an extremely insulting one) to assume that the overwhelming majority of members of the armed forces actively favour fascist despotism.

Even if you said that most would probably go along with it, I might agree. But to say that they all are "eager" to play brownshirt... no, I don't believe that.
The United States military does not have a history of disobeying 'illegal' orders and has a great history of punishing the minority of its members who do. The fuckers who fought Bush's war in Iraq and made it possible for Obama to drone murder people for the crime of making YouTube videos and attending the wrong wedding are not going to discover their collective consciences once the president orders them to do more of the same at home.
I do think their is a difference in many peoples' minds (even though their shouldn't be) between atrocities committed overseas and in America.

And their have always been conscientious objectors.

Are you really prepared to argue that the vast majority of American military personal would obey without question if ordered to act as Trump's enforcers in defiance of court orders? To impose tyranny on their fellow Americans, on American soil, for the glory of Dear Leader?

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Ralin wrote:Of course he does! Haven't you ever heard of the Fraternal Order of Police? The National Guard? The United States Army?
The Fraternal Order of Police is not a regimented organization that follows Donald Trump's marching orders.

The National Guard is subject to the orders of state officials and is not required to follow unconstitutional orders. The army isn't required to follow unconstitutional orders either. In fact, they swear oaths not to, and those oaths do not contain a clause saying "unless the president says mean things on Twitter about the people we're doing it to"

None of these organizations are instantly ready to swoop in and arrest tens of thousands of people for obeying a court order that commands them to not obey a Trump order.
Terralthra wrote:Worth noting that the Executive Order in question allows entry into the country from those nations if the person entering is Christian. It does not, however, allow entry into the country if the person entering is Jewish. So, the fact that he signed this order explicitly keeping Jewish refugees out on Holocaust Remembrance Day is, y'know, horrifying.
A distinct point.
Ralin wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Which presumes that they will all follow Trump blindly (presuming you're being serious and not facetious here).
Two words: "citation needed."

Most American police believe they need warrants to arrest people. Most American soldiers believe they don't exist to shut down dissenters on American soil.
I think you would be significantly surprised, because of the huge factor of "wait, shit, we're doing this to people who are REAL now!"

The war in Iraq and the war in Afghanistan and the drone war, all of those are things that happened in places where the military was being shot at, where the targets were people that the average rank-and-file person could at least convincingly tell themselves they were fighting an actual enemy of the United States, an enemy of their friends and family back home.

Being willing to commit a war crime in that environment, in a war zone, is not the same as being willing to intervene in a private political dispute between the president and the courts.

As an analogy: During the Second World War, there were a lot of US soldiers willing to fire artillery where it might blow up German civilians, or to refuse to take Japanese surrenders, or any of a number of things. That doesn't mean any of those soldiers would have been willing to obey FDR if he'd told them to arrest the Supreme Court. It certainly doesn't mean enough of those soldiers were willing to obey the order for actual formed units of troops to organize and carry the order out.

I'll admit that I sympathize with the reason you are worrying. But I don't think your worries are particularly realistic or likely to materialize.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Ralin wrote: Of course he does! Haven't you ever heard of the Fraternal Order of Police? The National Guard? The United States Army?
Trump is already having...uhh...issues with the police. Turns out they get a lot of resources from the COPS program and that might be targeted when he starts having fun with DOJ in general.

What do you know? Trump is a businessman. Not a bureaucrat.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Pretty much right Simon_Jester.

Though as I said, if it comes down to a question of who the military and police side with in a dispute between the Presidents and the courts, we're already pretty fucked, so let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Especially because, in all likelihood, some of the military and police would go one way, and some the other. And, well, that's what civil wars are made of.

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

But they aren't Nazis they are "alt-Right".

As far as the refugee issue, if the total load of shit fear of terrorists getting in among them and rape/assault/murders being out of control, the easiest solution is to set up refugee camps where they can be screened and processed without fear of the filthy subhuman mooslemz raping our precious white women and suicide bombing Wal-Mart.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Gaidin wrote:
Ralin wrote: Of course he does! Haven't you ever heard of the Fraternal Order of Police? The National Guard? The United States Army?
Trump is already having...uhh...issues with the police. Turns out they get a lot of resources from the COPS program and that might be targeted when he starts having fun with DOJ in general.

What do you know? Trump is a businessman. Not a bureaucrat.
Hopefully, Trump's Presidency will finally put paid to the idiotic idea of "Wouldn't it be great if the President ran the country like a business?"

Government is not a business, and even leaving aside Donald Trump's systematic personal loathsomeness, the skill sets required are not remotely the same.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Flagg wrote:

As far as the refugee issue, if the total load of shit fear of terrorists getting in among them and rape/assault/murders being out of control, the easiest solution is to set up refugee camps where they can be screened and processed without fear of the filthy subhuman mooslemz raping our precious white women and suicide bombing Wal-Mart.
Don't give them ideas. Because if people like Trump set up those camps, its doubtful anyone will ever be allowed to leave.

I'm sure these fucks would just love to set up Muslim internment camps.

Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Simon_Jester wrote:]We are past the point where talking about how 'the fear is understandable' has much place in serious discussions of what is and is not constitutional, or what is and is not to be done about a president who is trying to tear up the Constitution and the civil service sworn to enforce it within a week of taking power.

I have no sympathy for what Trump is trying to do. And I have no sympathy for anyone who supports what he's doing because they've somehow, in the total absence of direct threats to their life, worked themselves up into a frenzy. A frenzy over the hypothetical possibility of a terrorist attack that is less likely to actually hurt them personally than a lightning bolt is.

I can psychoanalyze it, but I cannot respect it.

And the psychoanalysis is already over and done with, and the lunatics have taken over the asylum. Now is not the time for further psychoanalysis, it is time to discuss the consequences and how the madness can be brought back under control.

Trying to talk about this as though it is a sympathetic thing... it is useless. Those poor, poor people who are perfectly 100% safe and want to condemn thousands or millions to death in order to avoid ending up only 99.9999% safe... I cannot respect that. I don't think anyone with a moral center can respect that. It is an argument of cowardice, of defeatism, of surrender, of "let the terrorists win without firing a shot at us."

What's the point of even bringing up how sympathetic and understandable it is? It is the product of national hysteria, brought about by decades of fearmongering over terrorism, to the point where we are successfully terrified by even the thought of doing anything that might help the victims of the terrorism. To the point where we're throwing away and condeming even our own allies who helped us when they WERE at real risk of losing THEIR friends and loved ones.

See, you don't actually have to explain to me why people think this way. Everyone understands already. But understanding it is not respecting it. And talking about it like it's an opinion worthy of respect, when we are already seeing atrocities and violations of the Constitution being committed in the name of it...

There is really no reason to keep doing this, if one is not trying to justify the madness and the cowardice. I see no reason to continue trying.
It worth bringing up to understand WHY Trump is able to get away with pissing all over the Constitution likes its a Moscow hotel bed. Why its people are willing to condemn people to die for their own lives, even just for their own comfort, why calling it madness seems to play it off as some act of complete bonkers lunacy when its a completely understood and in their minds justified reaction to what they believe to be threats to their own life and the lives of their own.

You want to stop this madness? You need to understand the cause of it, you need to understand the mindset of those who allow it to happen. Not even by sympathetic but aware of the reasons.

Because this act of bullshit happened because thousands, possibly millions of people were perfectly fine with doing it. The way to stop this crap is to get people to stop believing in the bullshit that lead to it, stop people believing they are damned to car bombs and suicide vests should they let in the refugees.

People give Trump power, need to understand the people who do so if we ever want to take away Trumps power like he's Firelord Luke.
Simon_Jester wrote:A gesture that causes no physical harm to anyone is not 'similar to' an act that imprisons thousands and consigns millions more to be brutalized by terrorists.

It's like comparing a beating that knocks someone's teeth out, to a kiss. Why even bother doing that? Why bring it up, except in an attempt to pretend that the beating is something other than a crime?

If you are not trying to defend this act, there is little point in defending the mindset that gave rise to this act, or trying to compare it to relatively mild things that are part of American "politics as usual." To do so is to lull yourself into a false sense of security.
Again, not implying they are exactly the same, that their scale or results are the same, I'm comparing the reasons for happening as being the same. I'm comparing why Trump might want to ban all Muslims from some countries to protect us from terrorism when he ain't even banning Muslims from countries where alot of terrorist attacks actually came from to why some politician might want to ban an AR-15 and extended "clips" after a shooting using handguns and normal capacity magazines. I'm comparing the fact the reason in both cases is exactly not for protecting anyone because in both they kinda do don't shit to prevent the thing its supposed to prevent.

Understand now? Not a direct comparison, comparing reasons.
Simon_Jester wrote:]May I ask, in simple terms, what the point is of even saying all this?

I will admit that if you choose to ignore the laws forbidding people to do these things, then you can find "precedent" for Americans doing such things in the past. If all you were doing was bickering over my choice of words, fine, you win.

But what is the point? Seriously, what is the point? Why put so much time and effort into comparing bad actions to less-bad actions, and saying they're understandable, and how other (equally wrong) things have happened in the past? I did not actually come out and say "this is literally the worst thing that has ever happened in America." I have given you no reason to assume I am so pig-ignorant of history that you need to educate me by saying "slavery happened, the Trail of Tears happened, the Iraq War happened."

If I am perhaps disapproving of this unconstitutional act a little too loudly, why is it so important in your mind to take time and effort to disagree with me?

I do not understand.
I'm not disapproving of your disapproving of this act (whether its constitutional or not I'm not going to say for certain without doing more research) because I'm disapproving this act quite a bit.

My point is that Trump is not some new and shiny threat just in time for the year of 2017 (which I had to stop myself from writing 2016 goddammit), that Trump doing this is some unheard of thing that we should be above doing these days because we evolved past it, that this moronic bit of shit dripping from Trump gaping Putin plunged porkhole is more of the same.

You are acting like this is some unique event, something that is pretty darn close to being the worst thing that ever happened in America when the only thing on its level is the Trail of Tears, slavery, and Japanese American internment camps. I mean thats kinda the worst of the worst.

This is bad, no doubt, but nowhere even close to those levels. Its like the difference between a tack in the foot and getting smacked upside the head with a baseball bat with nails in it, both are bad but the scales are completely different, the damage caused is completely different.

Acting like this is the baseball bat with nails is going to make it harder for people to recognize when Trump actually does inevitably go up to bat. Acting like the bat hasn't been swung before makes it seem like Trump is somehow unique and we should overreact, should let fear control us the same as those morons not wanting to let people literally dying get away from a place that is actually literally as bad as stupid shits force fed media bullshit thinks America and Europe are.

There needs to be a measure REASONED response, one like the ACLU using laws to tell Trump to eat a dick, like the New York judge making Trump a negative Charlie Sheen, not more irrational fear based flying off the handle sky is falling this is the worst thing that has ever happened crap.

I'm sorry dude for harping on you all major like but its just all this fear and irrationality is getting to me something cereal. Its making me think Trump might get away with doing so goddamn much damage because people are too busy fighting the strawman they've constructed of him while letting the real horrible piece of shit doing real horrible crap. That is my fear right there. That and people with stubby fingers, they creep me the fuck out.

Trump needs stopped like me anytime I try singing but the real Trump, the real asshole who is willing to bend or break laws like he just did and not the fanciful monster we've constructed in our heads. He's not a dragon to be slain, he's an asshole to be stopped. Or closed.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Flagg wrote:

Don't give them ideas. Because if people like Trump set up those camps, its doubtful anyone will ever be allowed to leave.

I'm sure these fucks would just love to set up Muslim internment camps.
They're Nazis, camps come with the territory.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Joun_Lord wrote:It worth bringing up to understand WHY Trump is able to get away with pissing all over the Constitution likes its a Moscow hotel bed. Why its people are willing to condemn people to die for their own lives, even just for their own comfort, why calling it madness seems to play it off as some act of complete bonkers lunacy when its a completely understood and in their minds justified reaction to what they believe to be threats to their own life and the lives of their own.
We all know. Seriously, we know. If you meet anyone who expresses actual confusion about why this is happening, go ahead and tell them. But that's not what's going on in this conversation.

You see, I understand. I just don't sympathize, because it's a contemptible worldview that is leading to contemptible results. I refuse to admit that this is what America stands for, I refuse to acknowledge that this is 'normal' in any meaningful sense of the word. I refuse to give up the aspiration that we are capable of being, as a nation, better than this, or at least dramatically less bad than this.

And in that context... there really does come a point where you just plain have to stop bringing up why people do it in sympathetic terms. If a bunch of thugs are beating up old ladies in the street, and I'm discussing how to stop them... while I can acknowledge that maybe the people doing the beatings are doing it because they had a tough childhood, that is not the point. That can be discussed at a later time, when there is not an imminent crisis.

So repeating, over and over, how 'understandable' it is that people with a tough childhood and an inadequate moral upbringing could stoop to beating up little old ladies in the streets... after a while, it gets old, it becomes in effect disruptive. Even if it is well-intentioned by someone whose ultimate goal is to stop the beatings.
You want to stop this madness? You need to understand the cause of it, you need to understand the mindset of those who allow it to happen. Not even by sympathetic but aware of the reasons.

Because this act of bullshit happened because thousands, possibly millions of people were perfectly fine with doing it. The way to stop this crap is to get people to stop believing in the bullshit that lead to it, stop people believing they are damned to car bombs and suicide vests should they let in the refugees.
Well yes, but we also need to, y'know, actually do something. Something about the specific abuses occurring immediately right this minute, not just the long term and the hypothetical and the nebulous.

Millions of people aren't going to change their minds overnight. It's just not going to happen. If we wait patiently for millions of people to change their minds, while holding discussion groups repeating what we already know about how people come to support fascism...

We will emerge from our discussion groups and find that the fascists have already taken over.
Simon_Jester wrote:A gesture that causes no physical harm to anyone is not 'similar to' an act that imprisons thousands and consigns millions more to be brutalized by terrorists.

Again, not implying they are exactly the same, that their scale or results are the same, I'm comparing the reasons for happening as being the same. I'm comparing why Trump might want to ban all Muslims from some countries to protect us from terrorism when he ain't even banning Muslims from countries where alot of terrorist attacks actually came from to why some politician might want to ban an AR-15 and extended "clips" after a shooting using handguns and normal capacity magazines. I'm comparing the fact the reason in both cases is exactly not for protecting anyone because in both they kinda do don't shit to prevent the thing its supposed to prevent.

Understand now? Not a direct comparison, comparing reasons.
Well, I kind of understood that the first time you said it. What I'm asking you is, why? Why is it so important to say over and over what we already know?
I'm not disapproving of your disapproving of this act (whether its constitutional or not I'm not going to say for certain without doing more research) because I'm disapproving this act quite a bit.
Except that you are not really talking about your disapproval of the act. You're talking about, well, stuff everyone already knows about how terrified people come to support fascism and vote into office people who will ignore their rights. We get it, we just don't have any sympathy for it, because it's endangering and hurting our country.
My point is that Trump is not some new and shiny threat just in time for the year of 2017 (which I had to stop myself from writing 2016 goddammit), that Trump doing this is some unheard of thing that we should be above doing these days because we evolved past it, that this moronic bit of shit dripping from Trump gaping Putin plunged porkhole is more of the same.

You are acting like this is some unique event, something that is pretty darn close to being the worst thing that ever happened in America when the only thing on its level is the Trail of Tears, slavery, and Japanese American internment camps. I mean thats kinda the worst of the worst.
No, I am acting like this is us turning around and heading back to the bad old days.

Again, do you actually think I am so pig-ignorant that I do not know the bad old days existed? Do you really believe I don't know that more and worse things happened in the past?

Please answer, "yes," or "no," with a minimum of patronizing me about how important it is to place an act of tyranny in its historical context of 50 or 100 or 200 years ago when acts of tyranny were more common.
Acting like this is the baseball bat with nails is going to make it harder for people to recognize when Trump actually does inevitably go up to bat. Acting like the bat hasn't been swung before makes it seem like Trump is somehow unique and we should overreact, should let fear control us the same as those morons not wanting to let people literally dying get away from a place that is actually literally as bad as stupid shits force fed media bullshit thinks America and Europe are.

There needs to be a measure REASONED response, one like the ACLU using laws to tell Trump to eat a dick, like the New York judge making Trump a negative Charlie Sheen, not more irrational fear based flying off the handle sky is falling this is the worst thing that has ever happened crap.
What is actually happening here is not what you think is happening. Reread the parts of the discussion that don't involve you directly.

What is happening here is that people are debating what next. The courts will try to stop Trump using laws. Will Trump obey? Will he attempt to punish federal officials who do obey the courts? Will he try to jump the chain of command and issue direct orders to groups who might enforce his orders? Will they listen?

If all of that (IMO improbable) worst-case scenario happens, then we really are into "swinging the baseball bat" territory.

If it doesn't happen, then in the grand scheme of things there is no big deal.

But what people are actually saying, in the context of "the baseball bat swings," is speculative. People are not saying "this is literally Nazi Germany," and I don't understand why you think they are. Or why you aren't clearly differentiating between the people who seem worried and are saying "this just now was the swing of the baseball bat."

People are saying "this is the kind of road that leads either to a president getting his ass impeached, or to fascism." Which, bluntly, is true, that is an accurate measure of how bad it's gotten, that it really does look like if we keep walking down this road we end up at one destination or the other.
I'm sorry dude for harping on you all major like but its just all this fear and irrationality is getting to me something cereal. Its making me think Trump might get away with doing so goddamn much damage because people are too busy fighting the strawman they've constructed of him while letting the real horrible piece of shit doing real horrible crap. That is my fear right there. That and people with stubby fingers, they creep me the fuck out.

Trump needs stopped like me anytime I try singing but the real Trump, the real asshole who is willing to bend or break laws like he just did and not the fanciful monster we've constructed in our heads. He's not a dragon to be slain, he's an asshole to be stopped. Or closed.
The flip side is that your category of argument can create a problem, despite your intention.

Specifically, it can become a very real distraction to the stopping of assholes.* Because you get people milling around confusedly saying "Uh, is this bad enough to react? Is this bad enough?"

Have you heard the story of the boiling frog? Granted it's an urban legend, but it's a really useful one. What it illustrates is that if you're on a road heading to a bad outcome, a bad place, at some point you have to leave the road sooner or later. Preferably sooner. If that requires you to flip the fuck out and start doing things you wouldn't do if you were OK with the destination of your journey, so be it.

Every successful attempt at preventing tyranny began when someone flipped the fuck out in response to a specific act of the would-be tyrant. When they reacted by saying "look, whatever, I know other people have done bad stuff in the past, and that other people have done stuff almost this bad not too long ago, but this is too much, I will do what it takes to stop you."

And the flip side of that is that nearly every time someone succeeds in imposing tyranny, they do it by accumulating more and more power, with the support of some people and the quiet compliance of the rest... Until one day, it is too late to do anything. The power to change the situation is gone, the frog has started to cook alive and can no longer escape the pot.

There is very little to lose, from recognizing the first tyrannical act as an act of tyranny, and trying to stop it before the tyrant amasses great power.

No one on this website is actually going to go grab their gerns and start the revolution over this. You really ought to know that by now. But the actions of Trumpo and the Republicans willing to support him have made it very, very clear where this is going. That he is not going to stop unless stopped, and have given people every reason to think that he will just keep going in a straight line until he does things that are horrible and totally impossible to consider acceptable by the standards of anyone who isn't willing to let him be dictator.

But frankly, people here are talking about how that first of tyranny, the little one. The act of the small dictatorship that hasn't had a chance to get big yet. Trying to step in and interrupt with "but this isn't big dictatorship, you have to have historical perspective, this is bad but it's not THAT bad!" is not helping.

What happens when people really listen to that argument, of deciding that meh, this particular act isn't that bad, because it's not the worst thing that ever happened, no point getting upset...?

Well, then you get the frogs milling about in confusion wondering if it's time to jump out of the pot as the water gets hotter. And when the water is this hot, that is never going to be a good thing. At best it's harmless, but at worst it kills.

*Note that 'to stop' used to be used as a word for 'to close,' so one is as good as the other in this context. ;)
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Zaune wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Trump must be impeached.
For fulfilling a campaign promise? That's never going to fly, not when the Republicans control both Houses and their base are probably disappointed he didn't go further.
No, impeached for breaking the law and violating the constitution.
Dragon Angel wrote:Or, I suppose, the undesirable will come closer, no matter what we think.
No, the undesirable is already here.
Lost Soal wrote:ACLU have announced they won a Stay of of the order in federal court
Ralin wrote:Anyone want to place bets on whether Trump Andrew Jackson's it?
Simon_Jester wrote:Anyone want to place bets on whether federal officials ignore his order to proceed because they don't want to violate the court order?
Those that remember they have sworn an oath to the constitution and not the president will obey the court order. The late night TV news reports that at least some have.
The Romulan Republic wrote:
Ralin wrote:No. They'll obey it and the minority that don't will be fired or even arrested.
Maybe, maybe not, but if Trump did have people fired or arrested for refusing to follow an illegal order, and the courts ruled in their favour too, what then? If he truly refuses to acknowledge the Supreme Court's authority, what then?
Then we have a crisis.
Chimaera wrote:
Flagg wrote:
Ralin wrote:Anyone want to place bets on whether Trump Andrew Jackson's it?
Of course he will. And who is going to stop him, the agencies that answer to the chucklefuck President Pussygrabber appointed?
Explanation of "Andrew Jackson's it" for a non-American, please?
Andrew Jackson proposed forcibly removing the Five Civilized Tribes from what is now the Southeastern United States and giving their property to white settlers. The Supreme Court said no, he couldn't do that. He did anyway. The event is called The Trail of Tears

“Andrew Jackson it” means ignore the ruling of the ScotUS, do something unconstitutional, and get away with it.
Yep.

Sure is.

Sort of like the 1930's all over again, but this time the US is not on the side of the angels. Not that we really were then, either, but this time we're more actively among the bad guys.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Simon_Jester wrote:We all know.[/i] Seriously, we know. If you meet anyone who expresses actual confusion about why this is happening, go ahead and tell them. But that's not what's going on in this conversation.

You see, I understand. I just don't sympathize, because it's a contemptible worldview that is leading to contemptible results. I refuse to admit that this is what America stands for, I refuse to acknowledge that this is 'normal' in any meaningful sense of the word. I refuse to give up the aspiration that we are capable of being, as a nation, better than this, or at least dramatically less bad than this.

And in that context... there really does come a point where you just plain have to stop bringing up why people do it in sympathetic terms. If a bunch of thugs are beating up old ladies in the street, and I'm discussing how to stop them... while I can acknowledge that maybe the people doing the beatings are doing it because they had a tough childhood, that is not the point. That can be discussed at a later time, when there is not an imminent crisis.

So repeating, over and over, how 'understandable' it is that people with a tough childhood and an inadequate moral upbringing could stoop to beating up little old ladies in the streets... after a while, it gets old, it becomes in effect disruptive. Even if it is well-intentioned by someone whose ultimate goal is to stop the beatings.
You apparently do not know why as you are comparing someone's desire to protect themselves and other from possible harm to committing intentional harm, you call the worldview that leads to this contemptible when its their minds its quite the opposite, your or my own worldview of some possible harm in exchange for greater good to be heartless towards those that would be harmed by our desires.

You don't even need to sympathize with the person to understand their position, not condone it, and understand why people are afraid. Understanding that allows people to communicate with them without being a dick and maybe get them to understand the errros of their ways. Look down at ones nose at people, fearful and stupid people, and dictating to them things just makes them more fearful and stupid.
Simon_Jester wrote:Well yes, but we also need to, y'know, actually do something. Something about the specific abuses occurring immediately right this minute, not just the long term and the hypothetical and the nebulous.

Millions of people aren't going to change their minds overnight. It's just not going to happen. If we wait patiently for millions of people to change their minds, while holding discussion groups repeating what we already know about how people come to support fascism...

We will emerge from our discussion groups and find that the fascists have already taken over.
Yes we need to do something. We also don't need to act like foolish fools and blindly rush in do anything so long as its something. There is a considerable difference from waiting around doing nothing and rushing in possibly making things worse but both are things I'd think would be bad. You see exactly what blindly rushing into something gets us, what letting fear and anger and stupidity gets us, it gets us a Trump Presidency. Maybe we should take our own advice of not repeating mistakes and not repeat a mistake that led to some fuck that makes people start to look bad fondly on Dubya.

The blind fear is what led people to vote for the shitstain.....well piss-stain, what has led to what could be considered fascism. People aren't supporting fascism, people are supporting their own right to live.......in a very stupid manner. Most of the people who voted for Trump, most who support this stupid muslim blockade, aren't doing so because they love swastikas and Hugo Boss, they are doing so because they think that its what must be done to protect themselves.
Simon_Jester wrote:Well, I kind of understood that the first time you said it. What I'm asking you is, why? Why is it so important to say over and over what we already know?
Because you didn't seem to understand that the first time I said it, you seemed to interpret it as me comparing body counts or the results of both bans rather then the causes.
Simon_Jester wrote:Except that you are not really talking about your disapproval of the act. You're talking about, well, stuff everyone already knows about how terrified people come to support fascism and vote into office people who will ignore their rights. We get it, we just don't have any sympathy for it, because it's endangering and hurting our country.
I voiced my disapproval in the first post of mine, I went off on this tangent later on when you started talking bout how Trump acting like a cunt is somehow unique or new to this country. And I talked about the terrified lemmings that are endangering our country because you didn't seem to understand why they are jump headfirst off a cliff, you didn't seem to understand they already think the country is being endangered and this is their stupid bull in the china shop response.
Simon_Jester wrote:No, I am acting like this is us turning around and heading back to the bad old days.

Again, do you actually think I am so pig-ignorant that I do not know the bad old days existed? Do you really believe I don't know that more and worse things happened in the past?

Please answer, "yes," or "no," with a minimum of patronizing me about how important it is to place an act of tyranny in its historical context of 50 or 100 or 200 years ago when acts of tyranny were more common.
If we are turning around back to the bad old days then why is this event unique, why is Trump unique if his actions are leading us backwards to things that have happened before and will happen again?

No, I do not think your are so pig ignorant as to not know the bad old days existed but I do think for a moment you forgot or downplayed them in your mind. You are a smart guy and if a lunkhead like myself could remember that those things existed, still exist, I'm 101% certain you could remember too.

But for whatever reason you did forget.

Yes, it is important, even patronizingly so, to place an act of tyranny in its historical context and to remember that acts of tyranny were more common but still did happen and still happen today. History teaches us, we need only look upon its pages to gets lessons on the challenges of today. There were Trumps before, there were people that make Trump look like Mother Teresa and Ghandi's secret love child, and if we peer into the past to see how these tyrants were dealt, the ways that were right and were so goddamn wrong we'd better understand how to deal with a tin pot little upstart like Trump far better then blindly lashing out.
Simon_Jester wrote:What is actually happening here is not what you think is happening. Reread the parts of the discussion that don't involve you directly.

What is happening here is that people are debating what next. The courts will try to stop Trump using laws. Will Trump obey? Will he attempt to punish federal officials who do obey the courts? Will he try to jump the chain of command and issue direct orders to groups who might enforce his orders? Will they listen?

If all of that (IMO improbable) worst-case scenario happens, then we really are into "swinging the baseball bat" territory.

If it doesn't happen, then in the grand scheme of things there is no big deal.

But what people are actually saying, in the context of "the baseball bat swings," is speculative. People are not saying "this is literally Nazi Germany," and I don't understand why you think they are. Or why you aren't clearly differentiating between the people who seem worried and are saying "this just now was the swing of the baseball bat."

People are saying "this is the kind of road that leads either to a president getting his ass impeached, or to fascism." Which, bluntly, is true, that is an accurate measure of how bad it's gotten, that it really does look like if we keep walking down this road we end up at one destination or the other.
I've read the rest of discussion and while some are having responses that are based on reason some are treating this less like a possible stone on the road to tyranny or fascism and more the end of the road. That this act isn't something that should have us extremely concerned but something that should have us flipping mad, completely bananers and thinking America is collapsing right here and right now, that its already beyond the courts but time to head to Naboo and overthrow the Trade Federation when the invasion hasn't even happened yet.

I am falling more on the side of people who think we should be incredibly concerned but not irrationally so. Thats been what I've been no doubt shittily advocating for, a reasoned response, a measured thoughtful view of the events, to not let fear grip us like the skeletal grip of a 5 dollar meth head handjob.
Simon_Jester wrote:The flip side is that your category of argument can create a problem, despite your intention.

Specifically, it can become a very real distraction to the stopping of assholes.* Because you get people milling around confusedly saying "Uh, is this bad enough to react? Is this bad enough?"

Have you heard the story of the boiling frog? Granted it's an urban legend, but it's a really useful one. What it illustrates is that if you're on a road heading to a bad outcome, a bad place, at some point you have to leave the road sooner or later. Preferably sooner. If that requires you to flip the fuck out and start doing things you wouldn't do if you were OK with the destination of your journey, so be it.

Every successful attempt at preventing tyranny began when someone flipped the fuck out in response to a specific act of the would-be tyrant. When they reacted by saying "look, whatever, I know other people have done bad stuff in the past, and that other people have done stuff almost this bad not too long ago, but this is too much, I will do what it takes to stop you."

And the flip side of that is that nearly every time someone succeeds in imposing tyranny, they do it by accumulating more and more power, with the support of some people and the quiet compliance of the rest... Until one day, it is too late to do anything. The power to change the situation is gone, the frog has started to cook alive and can no longer escape the pot.

There is very little to lose, from recognizing the first tyrannical act as an act of tyranny, and trying to stop it before the tyrant amasses great power.
Yes I'll admit my own position can be just as detrimental as the fear based bull in the china shop reaction. Waiting too long can hurt as cause as jumping the gun too soon.

But don't think that jumping the gun can't hurt bad. Cries of tyranny and declaration of revolution fall on deaf ears when said to a audience who sees little tyranny and no need to revolt.

One must be able to remove themselves from a bad road but one must also be aware if the road they are on is as bad as they think, if they see bumpy roads ahead and believe they'd be already hit because they ran over a rock and their attempts to avoid the bumpy part puts them right on its path or an even worse one.

You lose much if you fight against tyranny before tyranny has really reared its ugly pumpkin colored head, you become almost tyrannical yourself by resorting to violence and mayhem with little provocation.
Simon_Jester wrote:No one on this website is actually going to go grab their gerns and start the revolution over this. You really ought to know that by now. But the actions of Trumpo and the Republicans willing to support him have made it very, very clear where this is going. That he is not going to stop unless stopped, and have given people every reason to think that he will just keep going in a straight line until he does things that are horrible and totally impossible to consider acceptable by the standards of anyone who isn't willing to let him be dictator.

But frankly, people here are talking about how that first of tyranny, the little one. The act of the small dictatorship that hasn't had a chance to get big yet. Trying to step in and interrupt with "but this isn't big dictatorship, you have to have historical perspective, this is bad but it's not THAT bad!" is not helping.

What happens when people really listen to that argument, of deciding that meh, this particular act isn't that bad, because it's not the worst thing that ever happened, no point getting upset...?

Well, then you get the frogs milling about in confusion wondering if it's time to jump out of the pot as the water gets hotter. And when the water is this hot, that is never going to be a good thing. At best it's harmless, but at worst it kills.
Well of course nobody would grab their guns, we're all liberals and therefore don't have guns.

Not but really I'm sure nobody would but how some speak its like they believe now is the time or very nearly so. And while I do advocate resistance, even violent resistance, in the face of tyranny I do not believe we are yet at that place. Oh it might come, certainly, probably closer then its been in awhile, atleast the recent past.

However Trumpolini (I so want to borrow that, its fucking excellent) is not a dictator, might be in the future but maybe not, and his actions thus far have been bad but not really on the level of atrocities past. Trump needs treated like what he is, a shitbag people elected that can be stripped of power, stopped, and even removed from power should it come to that by laws, the system, and people working together constructively rather then destructively.

We want to preserve our country, our democratic system if for nothing else then it kinda sounds like demolition which is cool, we shouldn't allow Trump or ourselves to tear it down unless we have no choice.

We are currently the racist rare Pepes milling about in the water that has not yet gotten hot, the pilot has not been lit but the matchbox has been open, the smell of sulfur has hit our noses. Now is the time to decide if we want to stop the fire from being lit or act like its already been lit and destroy the nice Martha (why did I say that name?!!?) Stewart pot we are lounging in in our mad struggle.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Joun, what you've actually accomplished is to make me believe that you will never, never do anything other than falsely attribute to me delusional exaggerations about how bad the situation is.

In which case there's not really any point in my engaging with you further, is there? You're so busy deciding that everyone is crazy and overreacting that it's the only note you even bother to hit.

Wake me when you've got something new to say, that isn't a repetition of "don't overreact, you nebulously defined somebodies who are overreacting."
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Lost Soal wrote:The executive order specifically mentions religion.
(b) Upon the resumption of USRAP admissions, the Secretary of State, in consultation with the Secretary of Homeland Security, is further directed to make changes, to the extent permitted by law, to prioritize refugee claims made by individuals on the basis of religious-based persecution, provided that the religion of the individual is a minority religion in the individual's country of nationality. Where necessary and appropriate, the Secretaries of State and Homeland Security shall recommend legislation to the President that would assist with such prioritization.
Since the countries are dominant Muslim it is specifically aimed at discriminating against that religion.
This seems to have got lost in the shuffle, although it also seems to apply only AFTER admissions are restarted, so tough shit to Iraqi Jews in the meantime...

Quite apart from Saudi Arabia not being on the list, I am drawn to wonder if minority religion will include Sunni in a Shia country or visa versa...

@Joun Louts : you are not incorrect in your analysis of why people voted Trump and why they might support this. Since the election, the battleground has moved on to trump and his lackeys and the court's and ACLU. I see no easy way for those whipped up to vote trump (as opposed to republican) to change their mind. America is stuck with them for at least five years and probably a lot longer.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

To everyone trusting in the military and law enforcements commitment to defend and uphold the Constitution: The Department of Homeland Security declared they will continue deportations.
Department Of Homeland Security Response To Recent Litigation
Release Date: January 29, 2017
For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary

WASHINGTON – The Department of Homeland Security will continue to enforce all of President Trump’s Executive Orders in a manner that ensures the safety and security of the American people. President Trump’s Executive Orders remain in place—prohibited travel will remain prohibited, and the U.S. government retains its right to revoke visas at any time if required for national security or public safety. President Trump’s Executive Order affects a minor portion of international travelers, and is a first step towards reestablishing control over America's borders and national security.

Approximately 80 million international travelers enter the United States every year. Yesterday, less than one percent of the more than 325,000 international air travelers who arrive every day were inconvenienced while enhanced security measures were implemented. These individuals went through enhanced security screenings and are being processed for entry to the United States, consistent with our immigration laws and judicial orders.

The Department of Homeland Security will faithfully execute the immigration laws, and we will treat all of those we encounter humanely and with professionalism. No foreign national in a foreign land, without ties to the United States, has any unfettered right to demand entry into the United States or to demand immigration benefits in the United States.

The Department of Homeland Security will comply with judicial orders; faithfully enforce our immigration laws, and implement President Trump’s Executive Orders to ensure that those entering the United States do not pose a threat to our country or the American people.
This is in direct response to a federal court ordering a temporary halt to deportations. Continuing to enforce Trump's Executives Orders means flat out disobeying the courts, and they are still doing it.

I was tempted to say that the constitutional crisis is here, but technically I guess that will be when Trump publicly orders them to disregard the courts.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Ralin wrote:To everyone trusting in the military and law enforcements commitment to defend and uphold the Constitution
People who do so are fucking fools, espepcially when it comes to the US military and police.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

A lot of things can happen in this situation. A press secretary acting on behalf of a Trump appointee can say or do a lot of things. "Screw you, boss, I'm obeying the court order" is one of them. "Screw you, court, I'm obeying Trumpolini" is another. How accurately that reflects what DHS personnel actually do when faced with a barrage of court orders is yet another question.

The question is what happens to the leadership of the DHS, whether arrest warrants for contempt are (as they should be) an issue, whether mid-ranking individuals who are part of the civil service comply with the court order or their boss.

It's not about trusting anyone. It's simply that the average member of the US's police and military forces is not just an SA brownshirt in search of a Führer. The realities are more complicated than that. Saying "lol Trumpolini will just order the military to arrest everyone who dissents and they will leap to obey him" is just as much an oversimplification as saying "lol no one will listen to Trumpolini."

What I expect to happen is a chaotic muddle of contradictory court orders, arrests, denunciations and counter-denunciations, with a very unclear resolution that cannot be predicted in advance. So unlike a lot of people with these very clear, dare I say oversimplified and stereotyped, view of US government officials, law enforcement, and military personnel... I'm not going to try and decide in advance what will be the final outcome here.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Flagg wrote:So Saudi Arabia (a country that Trump has business ties to) where 15 of the 19 9/11 hijackers were from is exempt from President Pussygrabber's hilariously unconstitutional fiat? I'm shocked, shocked I say! :lol:
It might also help that the US is making billions of profit with weapon export to that rogue state.
Weird that Pakistan and Afghanistan are exempt too tough.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Everyone held at O'Hare airport in Chicago under this executive order have been released - so apparently the immigration agents, etc., are not marching in lockstep under Trump.

Expect days of chaos, press releases, and news media salivating.

PDF of the stay

Have to wonder if releasing the executive order late on Saturday was done with the notion that nothing against would have been done until Monday.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

I'm just wondering here. Is arresting a mayor of a sanctuary city next?

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-of ... ior-united
EXECUTIVE ORDER

- - - - - - -

ENHANCING PUBLIC SAFETY IN THE INTERIOR OF THE
UNITED STATES

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) (8 U.S.C. 1101 et seq.), and in order to ensure the public safety of the American people in communities across the United States as well as to ensure that our Nation's immigration laws are faithfully executed, I hereby declare the policy of the executive branch to be, and order, as follows:

.....[cut].....

Sec. 2. Policy. It is the policy of the executive branch to:

(a) Ensure the faithful execution of the immigration laws of the United States, including the INA, against all removable aliens, consistent with Article II, Section 3 of the United States Constitution and section 3331 of title 5, United States Code;
If you go look at the US Code, this section stands out:

8 U.S. Code § 1324 - Bringing in and harboring certain aliens (https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1324)

It does bring up some amusing possibilities if it was actually enforced. Trump might actually order that next; he seems the kind of guy who doesn't give a shit.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944