Transgenderness and the brain[Split from Manning thread]

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Transgenderness and the brain[Split from Manning thread]

Post by Starglider »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:Get it through your skull. She. Was. Never. A. Man.
This is the most popular 'narrative' at present, but of course you must use the exact narrative requested by the trans person on that particular day (any misunderstanding of which is your fault), and 'became the opposite gender' still has some adherents.
Given that transgender people have structures in their brains that belong to the opposite sex of what their genes say they are (as in, literally man brain in woman body),
That is only dogma for the funfem branch of ultraliberalism. Under the radfem branch of hyperliberalism, there are axiomatically no differences between male and female brains other than those socially constructed, culturally conditioned, evil gender stereotypes, and the root of all oppression is humans capable of impregnation socially constructing nastiness for humans capable of childbearing. It's true the funfem branch has been ascendant through the 201x decade, but it's getting too popular to be cool now and we are already seeing more radfem profilteration through the young thought leader segment.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Re: Obama Largely Commutes Manning Sentence, To Be Released in May

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Starglider wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:Get it through your skull. She. Was. Never. A. Man.
This is the most popular 'narrative' at present, but of course you must use the exact narrative requested by the trans person on that particular day (any misunderstanding of which is your fault), and 'became the opposite gender' still has some adherents.
Given that transgender people have structures in their brains that belong to the opposite sex of what their genes say they are (as in, literally man brain in woman body),
That is only dogma for the funfem branch of ultraliberalism. Under the radfem branch of hyperliberalism, there are axiomatically no differences between male and female brains other than those socially constructed, culturally conditioned, evil gender stereotypes, and the root of all oppression is humans capable of impregnation socially constructing nastiness for humans capable of childbearing. It's true the funfem branch has been ascendant through the 201x decade, but it's getting too popular to be cool now and we are already seeing more radfem profilteration through the young thought leader segment.

Starglider, shut the fuck up.

The person with a Ph.D. in biology, plus a shitload of relevant psych coursework is in the room. Simon is correct. The radfems who reject ANY differences in the brain between sexes/genders are simply empirically wrong. And no,the radfems are not in any sort of ascendency. They are just loud and annoying on Tumblr.

If you all you are going to do is snipe at feminism and trans people in this thread and flirt with the bigotry instaban line, then I am just going to start splitting your posts off into a separate thread so they don't derail this one.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Starglider wrote:That is only dogma for the funfem branch of ultraliberalism.
Starglider, you gibbering troll-monkey, I'm not talking about the dogma, I'm talking about the scientific study.

EDIT TO ADD SOME SUBSTANCE TO THIS POST:

This is a topic that's been independently researched, not just something people made up for amusement or to justify a political opinion. There are brain structures associated with gender identity, just like there are brain structures associated with stuff like sensory perception or anything else. Genes carry the template for how those structures are shaped, but when there are multiple possibilities there are always going to be ways for the structure to wind up growing in a way that doesn't match the blueprints.

Unfortunately, our society isn't very well set up to deal with the concept of a mismatch between brain and body. And a brain-body mismatch means a mind-body mismatch.

Humans intuitively assume that our minds and our bodies will perform in consistent, compatible ways with one another. This is, however, not the case, as Starglider himself has pointed out in the context of things like discussions of AI and consciousness. Except then he was being a sapient being, not a gibbering troll-monkey.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Simon_Jester wrote:This is a topic that's been independently researched, not just something people made up for amusement or to justify a political opinion. There are brain structures associated with gender identity, just like there are brain structures associated with stuff like sensory perception or anything else.
Every aspect of personality has a physical representation in the brain, so this is tautological. The claim made by the 'was always a woman' narrative is much stronger; it is that a major non-plastic structural feature (or set of features) is either determined by genetics or early development and is present in the brain from early childhood. There is, frankly, little to no evidence of this. Libfems will quote some extremely dubious fMRI studies (which we were plauged with for the first decade or so of fMRI before some sanity started to be applied) and radfems will quote many older studies which showed no difference. That's if your lucky; generally both sides do not care to bother with anything as mundane as evidence and prefer strident emotional exhortions. The 'gender identity is determined by non-plastic brain features independent of genotype, genitals or hormones' proposition was at least a coherent thesis prior to the rapid expansion of the trans umbrella to encompass every bit of nonsensical gendertrender fluff under the sun, not to mention a fair few trolling MRAs who've discovered the fact that changing their pronouns will instantly force at least half of feminism to switch from hating them to 'centering' them. However under the current movement policy of 'we will take absolutely anyone who identifies' (to bolster numbers and lobby power) and 'no gatekeeping' (i.e. no diagnosis, analysis, or criticism in general), it is nonsensical to even propose that being 'trans' requires these proposed non-plastic non-genetic non-hormonal non-consistent dubious-fMRI-correlation-only brain structures. And that's before you consider all the detransitioning narratives (note: you may lose 5239 liberal points for doind so) which basically say 'no, it was all a misunderstanding on my part, gender identity wasn't the issue after all (although restrictive gender stereotypes often are)'.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Every aspect of personality has a physical representation in the brain, so this is tautological. The claim made by the 'was always a woman' narrative is much stronger; it is that a major non-plastic structural feature (or set of features) is either determined by genetics or early development and is present in the brain from early childhood. There is, frankly, little to no evidence of this.
Excuse me. Eat Peer-Review.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 2211000252

http://search.proquest.com/openview/6b2 ... &cbl=40569

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1 ... 0400018231

https://academic.oup.com/brain/article/ ... c-uncinate
Libfems will quote some extremely dubious fMRI studies (which we were plauged with for the first decade or so of fMRI before some sanity started to be applied) and radfems will quote many older studies which showed no difference.
We also have direct brain examination and dissection. Try again.
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Flagg wrote:Wow, congratulations on figuring out what any well adjusted 13 year old knows. SMARTEST BOARD ON THE INTERNET! THE INTELLECTUAL CRUCIBLE, EVERYONE!

Any absolute statement taken to its extreme is bad. WHO KNEW?
Apparently not the bozos who yell at politicians for failing to follow absolute moral principles in situations where bad consequences are likely.
Starglider wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:This is a topic that's been independently researched, not just something people made up for amusement or to justify a political opinion. There are brain structures associated with gender identity, just like there are brain structures associated with stuff like sensory perception or anything else.
Every aspect of personality has a physical representation in the brain, so this is tautological. The claim made by the 'was always a woman' narrative is much stronger; it is that a major non-plastic structural feature (or set of features) is either determined by genetics or early development and is present in the brain from early childhood. There is, frankly, little to no evidence of this.
Just marking this to isolate the specific, factual claim from the cloud of ink. Don't have time to respond in depth; others probably will.
The 'gender identity is determined by non-plastic brain features independent of genotype, genitals or hormones' proposition was at least a coherent thesis prior to the rapid expansion of the trans umbrella to encompass every bit of nonsensical gendertrender fluff under the sun...
I love how you have this cuttlefish-like habit of squirting out a cloud of ink to cover your escape when cornered and called to engage on a fact-based issue. It's not about facts, in this ink cloud. It's about finding a group of activists or 'leftists' or whatever whom you can blame for muddying the waters somehow.
'it is nonsensical to even propose that being 'trans' requires these proposed non-plastic non-genetic non-hormonal non-consistent dubious-fMRI-correlation-only brain structures. And that's before you consider all the detransitioning narratives (note: you may lose 5239 liberal points for doind so) which basically say 'no, it was all a misunderstanding on my part, gender identity wasn't the issue after all (although restrictive gender stereotypes often are)'.
If you consider the detransitioning narratives, then the obvious explanation is that those are the cases where there isn't a brain structure supporting the change- either it's nonplastic and doesn't respond favorably to switching genders, or it's plastic and doesn't change fast enough.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

If you consider the detransitioning narratives, then the obvious explanation is that those are the cases where there isn't a brain structure supporting the change- either it's nonplastic and doesn't respond favorably to switching genders, or it's plastic and doesn't change fast enough.
It's almost like someone might be *wrong* about something ridiculously complex taking place inside the black box that is their brain from time to time. This is actually the reason why it can sometimes be pretty difficult to transition in terms of various hoops to jump. The doctors want to make sure their patient is not a false positive before doing anything irreversible.

And thus far, there have been no cases reported to my knowledge (which is extensive) of someone regretting late-stage transition.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Obama Largely Commutes Manning Sentence, To Be Released in May

Post by Broomstick »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:And thus far, there have been no cases reported to my knowledge (which is extensive) of someone regretting late-stage transition.
I have heard of one or two cases, none well documented. I suspect at least one of them involved psychiatric problems aside from gender dysphoria, and all of them from some time ago.

I'd like to think that modern screening methods are better at detecting, as you put it, the false positives.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
It's almost like someone might be *wrong* about something ridiculously complex taking place inside the black box that is their brain from time to time. This is actually the reason why it can sometimes be pretty difficult to transition in terms of various hoops to jump. The doctors want to make sure their patient is not a false positive before doing anything irreversible.

And thus far, there have been no cases reported to my knowledge (which is extensive) of someone regretting late-stage transition.
In all honesty I'd bet money on there being some such cases, but that's simply because brains are complicated, especially when dealing with edge cases. It's stupid to assume that there isn't an underlying mechanism, based on a slim minority of "One time I heard about somebody from an Internet comment by someone who saw it in a retweet from somebody who heard it from a person they go to church with" cases.
Elfdart wrote:The could use the French née (born) not just for maiden names, but for this as well.
I like that one.
Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Post by Dragon Angel »

Re: doctors, one thing doctors need to realize is that if a trans person has been trans and underwent trans things such as HRT for years, it's not a wise idea to try to convince them of the risks of being trans and doing trans things such as HRT. Because said trans person has been trans for ..... a long time now. What the hell is even the point after that except to try and push an agenda?

Case in point: Doctors during my June hospital visit, who made it a point to let me know of all the risks for HRT and surgery and whatever.

Because I totally didn't consider those for years beforehand.

:roll:
"I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers, consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin', while my thoughts were busy hatchin', if I only had a brain!
I would not be just a nothin', my head all full of stuffin', my heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be would be a ding-a-derry, if I only had a brain!"
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Simon_Jester wrote:I love how you have this cuttlefish-like habit of squirting out a cloud of ink to cover your escape when cornered and called to engage on a fact-based issue.
That was just stating that I am not particularly invested about the question. Yes, the weight of evidence is on the side of 'brain sex' being a myth. I could supply more links; actually I'd just link r/GenderCritical and say read the first twenty or so links; but I do not have any particular expertise to contribute, other than a dozen or so hours reading papers, nor does this issue affect me or any close friends. My point is that if we did spend time quoting lists of papers, there are a lot more studies supporting the radfem position, but it is not sufficiently settled that the theory will be reduced to crank status. People who desperately want to believe in it have not yet been deprived of support. I'm not sure if you're in the later cateory, but going by the typical gender critical vs transgender debate experience no one will change their mind based on links to papers.
It's not about facts, in this ink cloud. It's about finding a group of activists or 'leftists' or whatever whom you can blame for muddying the waters somehow.
I don't 'blame' them for anything, in the sense that they are not doing anything morally objectionable. Rather I find the social dynamics of movements being co-opted fascinating to watch. The second-wave feminists were quite effectively marginalised within their own group, using many of the same tactics, language and rhetorical weapons (including endless repeition of tautologies and constant attempts to redefine language) that they themselves used in their original fight (for rights and just self-definition). The trans advocates just took it to the next level, really weaponising victim status and passive-agressiveness, and playing oppression olympics to win in a way that earlier feminists had not. The same thing then happened to the original core of the transgender movement as seen in the whole 'truscum' vs 'tucute' Tumblr mess. However expansion based on youth-focused fashion trend is inherently not sustainable and will exacerbate the backlash that trans was already in for from overreaching on commandeering feminist groups & spaces.

As with many social issues, a technological solution should eventually render this irrelevant; hopefully the ability to actually and fully change a human's biological sex will be developed. But in the mean time I'm quite curious as to how this particular culture war will play out.
The second does not make sense. To be specific, what is under debate here is the idea that a person with male hormones, hormonal response, genotype, genitals, and secondary sexual characeristics, was born with an immutable brain structure that generates discomfort because it is 'expecting' female anatomy... and furthermore that someone self-reporting this discomfort is enough to presume that the structure exists, as there is no test or physical diagnosis for it. There are obviously significant and systematic differences between typical male and female human brains; this is a point where the average (but not every) radical femnist is wrong and in denial of reality, with their 'everything is socially constructed' mantra. What there do not appear to be, but the majority of trans activists are trying to claim, are any such differences between typical biological males and males claiming they are women. In fact the claim goes even further than that, by insisting that the structural difference must be present from birth or at least early childhood. This is part of the general pattern of self-defeating overreach in recent trans advocacy, where if the claims were just toned down a bit, they would be a lot more realistic. Unfortunately the brakes are still locked firmly off on that train.

Anyway, the idea of 'gender confirmation surgery' (all terms must be renamed and redefined, every possible linguistic weapon must be recruited in the struggle to normalise the narrative) is that this immutable 'brain gender' creates an expectation of anatomy which causes dysphoria when not matched by reality (ignoring that trans no longer requires dysphoria, but when you evolve the narrative so quickly naturally it becomes fragmented and self-contradicting). If the symptoms after anatomical adjustment then by definition there was no structure generating an expectation of the altered anatomy. Which, given the relatively large fraction of detransitioners, means that even if we were to consider brain gender to be real, clearly a subject verbal statement of discomfort is not in any way a reliable indicator that such a structure exists or that surgery will fix it.

Again, the sad thing here is overreach. No justification to do with brain gender or even dysphoria should be required for an adult to undergo elective body modification. However the attempt to justify making the state or insurance pay for cosmetic surgery without sufficient evidence of treatment success, or apply risky sterilising treatments to children below the age of consent (who are statistically even more likely to regret the decision later), or just desperately shore up support for self-descriptive narratives no matter the actual reality, results in these highly dubious claims.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Starglider wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:I love how you have this cuttlefish-like habit of squirting out a cloud of ink to cover your escape when cornered and called to engage on a fact-based issue.
That was just stating that I am not particularly invested about the question. Yes, the weight of evidence is on the side of 'brain sex' being a myth. I could supply more links; actually I'd just link r/GenderCritical and say read the first twenty or so links; but I do not have any particular expertise to contribute, other than a dozen or so hours reading papers, nor does this issue affect me or any close friends. My point is that if we did spend time quoting lists of papers, there are a lot more studies supporting the radfem position, but it is not sufficiently settled that the theory will be reduced to crank status. People who desperately want to believe in it have not yet been deprived of support. I'm not sure if you're in the later cateory, but going by the typical gender critical vs transgender debate experience no one will change their mind based on links to papers.
It's not about facts, in this ink cloud. It's about finding a group of activists or 'leftists' or whatever whom you can blame for muddying the waters somehow.
I don't 'blame' them for anything, in the sense that they are not doing anything morally objectionable. Rather I find the social dynamics of movements being co-opted fascinating to watch. The second-wave feminists were quite effectively marginalised within their own group, using many of the same tactics, language and rhetorical weapons (including endless repeition of tautologies and constant attempts to redefine language) that they themselves used in their original fight (for rights and just self-definition). The trans advocates just took it to the next level, really weaponising victim status and passive-agressiveness, and playing oppression olympics to win in a way that earlier feminists had not. The same thing then happened to the original core of the transgender movement as seen in the whole 'truscum' vs 'tucute' Tumblr mess. However expansion based on youth-focused fashion trend is inherently not sustainable and will exacerbate the backlash that trans was already in for from overreaching on commandeering feminist groups & spaces.

As with many social issues, a technological solution should eventually render this irrelevant; hopefully the ability to actually and fully change a human's biological sex will be developed. But in the mean time I'm quite curious as to how this particular culture war will play out.
The second does not make sense. To be specific, what is under debate here is the idea that a person with male hormones, hormonal response, genotype, genitals, and secondary sexual characeristics, was born with an immutable brain structure that generates discomfort because it is 'expecting' female anatomy... and furthermore that someone self-reporting this discomfort is enough to presume that the structure exists, as there is no test or physical diagnosis for it. There are obviously significant and systematic differences between typical male and female human brains; this is a point where the average (but not every) radical femnist is wrong and in denial of reality, with their 'everything is socially constructed' mantra. What there do not appear to be, but the majority of trans activists are trying to claim, are any such differences between typical biological males and males claiming they are women. In fact the claim goes even further than that, by insisting that the structural difference must be present from birth or at least early childhood. This is part of the general pattern of self-defeating overreach in recent trans advocacy, where if the claims were just toned down a bit, they would be a lot more realistic. Unfortunately the brakes are still locked firmly off on that train.

Anyway, the idea of 'gender confirmation surgery' (all terms must be renamed and redefined, every possible linguistic weapon must be recruited in the struggle to normalise the narrative) is that this immutable 'brain gender' creates an expectation of anatomy which causes dysphoria when not matched by reality (ignoring that trans no longer requires dysphoria, but when you evolve the narrative so quickly naturally it becomes fragmented and self-contradicting). If the symptoms after anatomical adjustment then by definition there was no structure generating an expectation of the altered anatomy. Which, given the relatively large fraction of detransitioners, means that even if we were to consider brain gender to be real, clearly a subject verbal statement of discomfort is not in any way a reliable indicator that such a structure exists or that surgery will fix it.

Again, the sad thing here is overreach. No justification to do with brain gender or even dysphoria should be required for an adult to undergo elective body modification. However the attempt to justify making the state or insurance pay for cosmetic surgery without sufficient evidence of treatment success, or apply risky sterilising treatments to children below the age of consent (who are statistically even more likely to regret the decision later), or just desperately shore up support for self-descriptive narratives no matter the actual reality, results in these highly dubious claims.
I have a strong urge to piss on you, but the dumpster fire that is YOU is too entertaining to put out.

Keep being you!
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Post by Dragon Angel »

Starglider wrote:there are a lot more studies supporting the radfem position
[citation needed]
Starglider wrote:but going by the typical gender critical vs transgender debate experience no one will change their mind based on links to papers.
That "debate" involves a series of nuances that I am not quite sure you grasp.
Starglider wrote:The trans advocates just took it to the next level, really weaponising victim status and passive-agressiveness, and playing oppression olympics to win in a way that earlier feminists had not. The same thing then happened to the original core of the transgender movement as seen in the whole 'truscum' vs 'tucute' Tumblr mess. However expansion based on youth-focused fashion trend is inherently not sustainable and will exacerbate the backlash that trans was already in for from overreaching on commandeering feminist groups & spaces.
Ah yes if only trans people didn't go out and talk about their problems with trans-exclusive radical feminists and gays, lesbians, and sometimes bisexuals shitting on them, then things would've turned out differently. How naive of us!
Starglider wrote:As with many social issues, a technological solution should eventually render this irrelevant; hopefully the ability to actually and fully change a human's biological sex will be developed. But in the mean time I'm quite curious as to how this particular culture war will play out.
As any "culture war" would, and I doubt that even if technology existed to change chromosomes people would be more "accepting" of a transition. Whoever is a militant transphobe now is already ignoring all the facts so why even bother?
Starglider wrote:What there do not appear to be, but the majority of trans activists are trying to claim, are any such differences between typical biological males and males claiming they are women. In fact the claim goes even further than that, by insisting that the structural difference must be present from birth or at least early childhood. This is part of the general pattern of self-defeating overreach in recent trans advocacy, where if the claims were just toned down a bit, they would be a lot more realistic. Unfortunately the brakes are still locked firmly off on that train.
You are begging the question, and you're using that as a reason to take a shit on an idea that I'm confident you do not have all the nuances of in order.
Starglider wrote:Anyway, the idea of 'gender confirmation surgery' (all terms must be renamed and redefined, every possible linguistic weapon must be recruited in the struggle to normalise the narrative)
...Not like I have any reason to be not confident about it. Nice subtle jab at us trans folk being too politically correct for you.

And for the record, I'm trans and that phrasing hasn't even blipped on my radar. Even if it was said by some nontrivial proportion of the trans community, what the devil is your problem with it? Maybe you'd like a more non-PC way of describing transgender genital surgery? "Tr*nny sex surgery"?

Please.
Starglider wrote:(ignoring that trans no longer requires dysphoria, but when you evolve the narrative so quickly naturally it becomes fragmented and self-contradicting)
Yeah, now I'm 100% confident you have no clue what "dysphoria" means as a term.
Starglider wrote:Which, given the relatively large fraction of detransitioners
[citation needed]
Starglider wrote:However the attempt to justify making the state or insurance pay for cosmetic surgery without sufficient evidence of treatment success, or apply risky sterilising treatments to children below the age of consent (who are statistically even more likely to regret the decision later), or just desperately shore up support for self-descriptive narratives no matter the actual reality, results in these highly dubious claims.
If only every trans person had bags of money fall on them to pay for a surgery that costs tens of thousands (not even including the other expenses transitioning entails) then we would all be happier! If only we could decontextualize gender confirmation surgery into mere "cosmetic surgery" that doesn't involve such a psychological impact as to make a trans person suicidal if it is never done! I didn't know this was so easy!

Also, are you advocating that forcing a teenager to go through full puberty when they know full well that they are trans is in any way moral?
"I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers, consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin', while my thoughts were busy hatchin', if I only had a brain!
I would not be just a nothin', my head all full of stuffin', my heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be would be a ding-a-derry, if I only had a brain!"
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

You know, it's not inconceivable that a subset of transgender people are transgender due to brain structure/body dissonance while others may be transgender for other reasons, just as a subset of "transgender" people are born intersex and not strongly differentiated into one or the other biological sex. Consider, Starglider, just for the moment that there might be more than one cause of this phenomena.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I think some of the "it must be biologically-organically based" arguments stem from the fact that society not only looks down upon LGBT people but for the longest time actively tried to erase them as unnatural - hence a lot of the approach citing biological basis, genetic basis, or looking for examples in other species in nature.

I don't judge this and it's fine and in my opinion even without any genetic or biological basis or examples from other species, I think there should be no barriers for people to be who they want to be... but I get the approach of showing it as a "natural" occurrence especially since historically they were disregarded and maligned as unnatural abberances.

I read an article on Aeon or Nautilus where some African-American civil rights scholar or professor notes this and contrasts it with how African-American movements tried to do the opposite. Nobody denied Africans' existence or said they were unnatural. It was the opposite, in fact, since bullshit pseudo-science, Social Darwinism, misused misunderstood evolution and ridiculous phrenology was used to portray Africans as "naturally" fit for certain roles, natural servants, natural physical laborers, etc.

That history made African-American advancement movements reject and refute the "but biology/nature/genetics says" crowd of eugenicistic psychos.

So it's an interesting and sharp contrast, what methods and languages of oppression exist and how different marginalized groups had to deal with em.

And I don't begrudge marginalized groups trying to get more say in the formation and usage of language especially when initially and for the longest time they had no say in how words were formed and used to shit on them.

I was born in a small village
I was still a child when we were raided by soldiers
Foreign soldiers
Torn from my elders, I was made to speak their language
With each new post, my masters changed
Along with the words they made me speak
With each change, I changed too
My thoughts, personality, how I saw right and wrong
Words can kill

Time and again, the country was ruled by a foreign tongue
When he was a young boy, he lost his native language
The bedrock for any developing child
His country, his family, his face, his identity
Everything was stolen from him

This world will become one, I have found the way. Race, tribal affiliations, national borders - even our faces will be irrelevant. The world that the boss envisioned will finally become a reality and it will make mankind whole again

America is a country of liberty, a meeting of immigrants
Instead of simply assimilating, its citizens live alongside others
So the major sought a system that used information
Words to control the subconscious
In his eyes, the greatest symbiotic parasite the world's ever known isn't microbial -- it's linguistic
Words is what keep civilization, our world, alive
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

That was just stating that I am not particularly invested about the question. Yes, the weight of evidence is on the side of 'brain sex' being a myth.
Oh, that's nice. Someone does not actually understand the subject material of a paper, which used a methodology he both derides and was looking in the wrong regions of the brain compared to other studies and which have no bearing on the processing of self-identification. Which you would know, if you even so much as bothered to read the entirety of the fucking abstract.

You MIGHT be able to make the claim, based on that paper, that being trans is more complicated neurologically than full brain differentiation and that being trans is variant brain state... but it does not support your claim that transness as a neurological state is a myth.
What there do not appear to be, but the majority of trans activists are trying to claim, are any such differences between typical biological males and males claiming they are women. In fact the claim goes even further than that, by insisting that the structural difference must be present from birth or at least early childhood.
Except that there are. I linked multiple papers to that effect using direct anatomical examination. Moreover, being trans is a state that is regularly observed in early childhood.

I don't even need to comment on the rest. It is just your typical bloviation.

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Re: Transgenderness and the brain (featuring Starglider's stupidity)

In my infinite wisdom (and to keep derails to a minimum), this topic has been split.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Dragon Angel wrote:Re: doctors, one thing doctors need to realize is that if a trans person has been trans and underwent trans things such as HRT for years, it's not a wise idea to try to convince them of the risks of being trans and doing trans things such as HRT. Because said trans person has been trans for ..... a long time now. What the hell is even the point after that except to try and push an agenda?

Case in point: Doctors during my June hospital visit, who made it a point to let me know of all the risks for HRT and surgery and whatever.

It might be a "defensive medicine thing." Its harder for someone to come back and accuse the doctor of not warning them about x,y,z if they actually did say x,y,z.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

mr friendly guy wrote:
Dragon Angel wrote:Re: doctors, one thing doctors need to realize is that if a trans person has been trans and underwent trans things such as HRT for years, it's not a wise idea to try to convince them of the risks of being trans and doing trans things such as HRT. Because said trans person has been trans for ..... a long time now. What the hell is even the point after that except to try and push an agenda?

It might be a "defensive medicine thing." Its harder for someone to come back and accuse the doctor of not warning them about x,y,z if they actually did say x,y,z.
That's almost certainly what it is. If a whole chain of doctors just assumed that you were fully informed by the previous doctors, and thus all failed to inform you adequately of the potential risks and complications due to the initial failure, they'd be guilty of allowing you to give uninformed consent for an invasive, irreversible, set of elective medical procedures. One which involves large scale endocrine and genital alteration, and which probably has (thought i lack a detailed knowledge) a greater than zero rate of serious biological and/or psychological complications.

Moreover, those continued warnings aren't really for the kind of person who can gain an adequate understanding of the medical risks through self-study. They're for people who are too stupid to ever be able to teach themselves correctly, yet still in need of treatments for their transition. Telling patients they haven't met before about the risks is plain due diligence. Not everything that makes you feel judged comes from a place of judgement. They don't know you, they don't know your story beyond some notes in a chart, and they have to make sure they treat you with informed consent.

Much of this depends on how exactly they say it, but just informing you of risks does not imply they want you not to undergo the procedures.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Post by Dragon Angel »

FireNexus wrote:
mr friendly guy wrote:It might be a "defensive medicine thing." Its harder for someone to come back and accuse the doctor of not warning them about x,y,z if they actually did say x,y,z.
That's almost certainly what it is. If a whole chain of doctors just assumed that you were fully informed by the previous doctors, and thus all failed to inform you adequately of the potential risks and complications due to the initial failure, they'd be guilty of allowing you to give uninformed consent for an invasive, irreversible, set of elective medical procedures. One which involves large scale endocrine and genital alteration, and which probably has (thought i lack a detailed knowledge) a greater than zero rate of serious biological and/or psychological complications.

Moreover, those continued warnings aren't really for the kind of person who can gain an adequate understanding of the medical risks through self-study. They're for people who are too stupid to ever be able to teach themselves correctly, yet still in need of treatments for their transition. Telling patients they haven't met before about the risks is plain due diligence. Not everything that makes you feel judged comes from a place of judgement. They don't know you, they don't know your story beyond some notes in a chart, and they have to make sure they treat you with informed consent.

Much of this depends on how exactly they say it, but just informing you of risks does not imply they want you not to undergo the procedures.
The hospital visit wasn't even related to transition, though. It was a hospital visit to investigate the causes of extreme pain I'd been having. The hormones only came up when they'd asked me for a standard medicine listing and I told them I was transitioning, and had been for several years. It was asked the day after an endoscopy found what might have been causing much of it.

I wasn't in the hospital for anything related to that, yet it came up. I mean, do people who take other meds for other chronic issues get grilled about how dangerous their meds can be, and suggested to stop those meds if they can? (like for example, antipsychotics for psychotic / manic disorders) It doesn't make logical sense, unless that is also standard procedure. Not to mention the warnings about a surgery that probably won't be performed for another year or two at least...
FireNexus
Cookie

Re: Transgenderness and the brain[Split from Manning thread]

Post by FireNexus »

Hell yes we do. I take amphetamines for ADHD, and I never hear the fucking end of their side effects whenever I see a new doctor. I know all about their side effects, but the alternative is distractability and extreme lethargy even once the acute discontinuation side effects wear off. I can't function in adult life without symptom control, and I was drowning before I got the prescription and during the times I decided to stop taking it.

But taking these drugs for a long time comes with non-zero risks, including cardiovascular, neurological and emotional ones. So they tell me all about it every time I need a dermatological checkup, an ER visit, or a colonoscopy (never had an actual colonoscopy, but you get my meaning). Like you, I need them to be a useful member of society. Like you, I'm taking a non-zero risk by taking them. Like you, I will never stop fucking hearing about that risk.

And I know all about the risks. To the point where I make my doctor check my pulse and blood pressure every month and get an ECG annually to make sure I don't develop any cardiac defects. Doesn't stop them.

All the rest? Too long.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Dragon Angel wrote:I wasn't in the hospital for anything related to that, yet it came up. I mean, do people who take other meds for other chronic issues get grilled about how dangerous their meds can be, and suggested to stop those meds if they can? (like for example, antipsychotics for psychotic / manic disorders) It doesn't make logical sense, unless that is also standard procedure. Not to mention the warnings about a surgery that probably won't be performed for another year or two at least...
I don't want to derail this with details from my spouse's medical history, but yes, he has experienced that sort of thing all his life, including two incidents last week, one of which had him ordering a social worker out of his hospital room and tell her to go to hell and never come back. It's not just transgender people, although in the case of transgender people there might be psychological factors that make such questions/statements more hurtful than they would be for certain other types of chronic issues,

Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Post by Dragon Angel »

Interesting; okay. I guess I just hadn't encountered a lot of those doctors by chance, so I didn't know this was an actual general thing.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Dragon Angel wrote:Interesting; okay. I guess I just hadn't encountered a lot of those doctors by chance, so I didn't know this was an actual general thing.
There is also like some portion of this due diligence being the reason there are so few people who get deep into transition and regret it. Think about it: If you were someone for him the transition wasn't a make or break, life or death thing, we want to discourage you from taking the unnecessary risks and irreversible surgical alterations.

If they didn't, you might see a lot more people who get deep into transition only to realize that it wasn't a good idea.

All the rest? Too long.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Meanwhile I got talked into having a gastric bypass to be done along with my initial hernia repair (the cadaver skin one in 2011 that caused an obstruction and almost killed me in 2012 where I spent 2 days with my abdomen open in the ICU then had the mesh that's currently costing me my teeth and has caused severe abdominal pain and another, bigger, hernia) with a quick 5 minute rundown of the possible, maybe, but unlikely risks before scheduling the surgery for a month out.

But I'm sure the whole "ewww icky gay!" undercurrent (when it's not pulled from behind the freak show curtain and just plopped on stage for all to see) that runs through society has nothing to do with your and others experiences.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw