Canada doubles down on North American Douchbaggery

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Canada doubles down on North American Douchbaggery

Post by Col. Crackpot »

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/18/shark-ta ... anada.html

Because dammit if the US is going batshit nuts and electing a mouth breathing amoral business douche to its highest office then Canada should too! Also Rob Ford is already dead and can't run. Thoughts and prayers.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Re: Canada doubles down on North American Douchbaggery

Post by Tribble »

With regards to Rob Ford, it does need to be mentioned that he accomplished most of what he had set out to do within his first term (and the only reason why he didn't accomplish everything on his list was due to an oversight on the transit file which counsel later used against him). He was actually quite popular despite all his personal issues and probably would have been re-elected if he hadn't been forced to withdraw due to cancer.

It's kind of sad that a crack-smoking binge-drinking homophobic-misogynist was still a lot better than his opponents when it came to fulfilling campaign pledges.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Tribble wrote:With regards to Rob Ford, it does need to be mentioned that he accomplished most of what he had set out to do within his first term (and the only reason why he didn't accomplish everything on his list was due to an oversight on the transit file which counsel later used against him). He was actually quite popular despite all his personal issues and probably would have been re-elected if he hadn't been forced to withdraw due to cancer.

It's kind of sad that a crack-smoking binge-drinking homophobic-misogynist was still a lot better than his opponents when it came to fulfilling campaign pledges.
Maybe it's just my perspective from South of the border, but I can't help but think that if Rob Ford was born 40 years earlier he'd have been beatified as the Canadian LaGuardia or Daley. Big City Mayor that got shit done.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Well, certainly not the candidate you would wish for, but he is leagues better than Trump (e.g. not a babbling idiot).
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Yeah, Ford at least was capable of admitting his flaws and made some attempt to better himself even if he wasn't successful.

Trump, on the other hand, fancies himself God's gift to America.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

As for O'Leary... he's kind of an odd duck. Supports gay marriage, abortion, assisted-suicide, legalising weed etc. Also supports Canada using its own oil, which I agree with wholeheartedly (sorry environmentalists, but I would rather have Eastern Canada use Canadian oil then import it from such lovely places as Saudia Arabia, Venezuela and Russia). And that the current PM is going way overboard by having a deficit over 3x as large as he said he would. On the other hand, I strongly disagree with his open love for income inequality, tax breaks for the rich, his desire to deregulate things like the housing industry (its bad enough as it is already) and his apparent Trump-like personality.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Rob Ford couldn't possibly have won on a national stage. He was a buffoon, and outside of the suburbs of Toronto (which he represented and in which he resided) he really wasn't all that popular. In the rest of Canada, and even in a great deal of Toronto, he was a joke.

I suppose it's possible that O'Leary could win the nomination, but he'll get very little support from Quebec, so even if he were to win the leadership race he would be a rotten candidate to lead the Conservatives in the next election.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

SCRawl wrote:Rob Ford couldn't possibly have won on a national stage. He was a buffoon, and outside of the suburbs of Toronto (which he represented and in which he resided) he really wasn't all that popular. In the rest of Canada, and even in a great deal of Toronto, he was a joke.
Oh he certainly wouldn't have won on a national state, no question of that. As I said though, he probably would have been re-elected. It kind of shows the state of affairs in Toronto, when a guy like that still remains the top contender.

From what I've been told by friends who lived in his ward he actually made a pretty good councillor, so perhaps he should have stayed as one. Peter Principle and all that.
I suppose it's possible that O'Leary could win the nomination, but he'll get very little support from Quebec, so even if he were to win the leadership race he would be a rotten candidate to lead the Conservatives in the next election.
Conservatives tend to do very poorly in Quebec most elections anyways, I doubt he'd make much of a difference in that respect.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Tribble wrote:Conservatives tend to do very poorly in Quebec most elections anyways, I doubt he'd make much of a difference in that respect.
Brian Mulroney won the majority of the seats in Quebec in 1984 and 1988, but that was a different conservative party. These Conservatives are still a mish-mash of Reform and PCs, and so long as the Bloc Quebecois are around I think that it will be difficult for any other party to do particularly well there.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Tribble wrote:As for O'Leary... he's kind of an odd duck.
Think of him as a hardcore libertarian and all of his positions become consistent and make sense.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P