Brexit: UK to leave single market, says Theresa May

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, SCRawl, Thanas, Edi, K. A. Pital

User avatar
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 9686
Joined: 2003-04-10 03:45pm
Location: Cheshire, England
Contact:

Re: Brexit: UK to leave single market, says Theresa May

Postby Crazedwraith » 2017-03-29 09:15am

Well it's been done. BBC Live Feed
To the brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... sucks to be you - Peter David

User avatar
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard
Posts: 13874
Joined: 2002-09-16 11:13pm
Location: A video store in Sydney, Australia

Re: Brexit: UK to leave single market, says Theresa May

Postby Gandalf » 2017-03-29 10:20am

So now I guess the clock is ticking for all of the sticky issues, like Brits living in Spain?
"How you wanna raise a flag with a rifle
To make us want to celebrate anything but survival?
Nah, you watching tele for The Bachelor
But wouldn’t read a book about a fuckload of massacres?"

- A.B. Original, January 26

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 11780
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: Brexit: UK to leave single market, says Theresa May

Postby The Romulan Republic » 2017-03-29 12:06pm

Its kind of impressive, the amount of damage that Britain's government is wilfully inflicting on itself. This is little more than an attempt at national suicide.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - Lincoln.

User avatar
Tribble
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2013
Joined: 2008-11-18 11:28am
Location: stardestroyer.net

Re: Brexit: UK to leave single market, says Theresa May

Postby Tribble » 2017-03-29 12:21pm

May invoked Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, but apparently she did not invoke Article 127 of the Agreement on the European Economic Area. Well, at least for the moment. Given that the UK is a separate signatory to the EEA agreement Article 127 will probably have to be invoked at some point if May wants the UK to leave the EEA.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - the official Troll motto as stated by Adam Savage

User avatar
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 9686
Joined: 2003-04-10 03:45pm
Location: Cheshire, England
Contact:

Re: Brexit: UK to leave single market, says Theresa May

Postby Crazedwraith » 2017-03-29 12:45pm

Tribble wrote:May invoked Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, but apparently she did not invoke Article 127 of the Agreement on the European Economic Area. Well, at least for the moment. Given that the UK is a separate signatory to the EEA agreement Article 127 will probably have to be invoked at some point if May wants the UK to leave the EEA.


Did they get a ruling on whether invoking article 50 also invoked 127 automatically? All the rhetoric has been all out all the way but it'd be interesting if we actually stopped short of it.
To the brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... sucks to be you - Peter David

User avatar
Thanas
Magister
Magister
Posts: 30186
Joined: 2004-06-26 07:49pm

Re: Brexit: UK to leave single market, says Theresa May

Postby Thanas » 2017-03-29 12:58pm

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/vi ... highlights


Really like the moment when May says the world needs the values of Europe and then the opposition erupts in laughter.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs

User avatar
LaCroix
Sith Marauder
Posts: 4081
Joined: 2004-12-21 12:14pm
Location: Vienna, Austria, Europe, Terra

Re: Brexit: UK to leave single market, says Theresa May

Postby LaCroix » 2017-03-29 01:19pm

Crazedwraith wrote:
Tribble wrote:May invoked Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, but apparently she did not invoke Article 127 of the Agreement on the European Economic Area. Well, at least for the moment. Given that the UK is a separate signatory to the EEA agreement Article 127 will probably have to be invoked at some point if May wants the UK to leave the EEA.


Did they get a ruling on whether invoking article 50 also invoked 127 automatically? All the rhetoric has been all out all the way but it'd be interesting if we actually stopped short of it.

Well, staying in thr EEA means the UK has to follow pretty much the same rules as now, but has no say in them. That'd be a stupid move.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.

User avatar
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 10135
Joined: 2002-07-07 04:57pm
Location: Sheffield, UK
Contact:

Re: Brexit: UK to leave single market, says Theresa May

Postby Vendetta » 2017-03-29 01:23pm

Has there been anything about the entire Brexit process, especially anything emanating from the British government, that wasn't a stupid move?

It would be a stupid move in a stupid game played by arch dimwits. The only reason it wouldn't happen is if they found anything even stupider to do instead.

User avatar
Tribble
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2013
Joined: 2008-11-18 11:28am
Location: stardestroyer.net

Re: Brexit: UK to leave single market, says Theresa May

Postby Tribble » 2017-03-29 02:07pm

Crazedwraith wrote:Did they get a ruling on whether invoking article 50 also invoked 127 automatically? All the rhetoric has been all out all the way but it'd be interesting if we actually stopped short of it.


IIRC UK courts dismissed the case for the moment claiming it was too premature to look into.Of course, another option would be to invoke parliamentary sovereignty and just flat out withdraw all the legislation without negotiations... May will likely go that route.

As it stands right now though, technically speaking I would argue that the UK has not started the process of leaving the EEA. The fact that the both the EU and the UK (along with other countries) signed the EEA agreement separately implies that they would remain EEA members unless they invoked Article 127.

LaCroix wrote: Well, staying in the EEA means the UK has to follow pretty much the same rules as now, but has no say in them. That'd be a stupid move.


Leaving the EU while remaining in the EEA would still transfer significant amounts of sovereignty back to the UK. The UK would no longer be a part of the ECJ and the common agricultural and fisheries policy. It would be able to negotiate treaties with other countries outside of the EU. And there are provisions for some control (albeit limited) over immigration. Only ~28% of EU legislation is applicable to EEA members. And although EEA members do not have a formal vote they are required to be consulted when legislation is proposed that may effect them, and there are some mechanisms to challenge the legislation when its put into force.

The EEA would check off all the requirements on May's list of things she wants, and at the very least moving to the EEA first would give them time to rebuild agreements with another nations before withdrawing entirely. Naturally May is against the notion since "ZOMG immigrants!" trumps everything else.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - the official Troll motto as stated by Adam Savage

User avatar
EnterpriseSovereign
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 1678
Joined: 2006-05-12 12:19pm
Location: High orbit

Re: Brexit: UK to leave single market, says Theresa May

Postby EnterpriseSovereign » 2017-03-29 03:08pm

Vendetta wrote:Has there been anything about the entire Brexit process, especially anything emanating from the British government, that wasn't a stupid move?

It would be a stupid move in a stupid game played by arch dimwits. The only reason it wouldn't happen is if they found anything even stupider to do instead.

It's like they actually want to wind the economic clock back to 1945. If I wasn't stuck on the ship I'd actually laugh as it gets steered onto the rocks.
It's no use debating a moron; they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Your claim of using a scientific equation is laughable when all you have done is butcher science to the point it makes 'The Core' look like a fucking documentary. Just because you have the attention span of a fruit fly doesn't mean the rest of us are so encumbered.

"As you know science is not fact"- HuskerJay
"The Delta Fyler [sic] isn't even a shuttle craft" -HuskerJay69
"The Dominion War wasn't really all that bad"- Admiral Mercury

User avatar
Thanas
Magister
Magister
Posts: 30186
Joined: 2004-06-26 07:49pm

Re: Brexit: UK to leave single market, says Theresa May

Postby Thanas » 2017-03-29 03:35pm

Tribble wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:Did they get a ruling on whether invoking article 50 also invoked 127 automatically? All the rhetoric has been all out all the way but it'd be interesting if we actually stopped short of it.


IIRC UK courts dismissed the case for the moment claiming it was too premature to look into.Of course, another option would be to invoke parliamentary sovereignty and just flat out withdraw all the legislation without negotiations... May will likely go that route.

As it stands right now though, technically speaking I would argue that the UK has not started the process of leaving the EEA. The fact that the both the EU and the UK (along with other countries) signed the EEA agreement separately implies that they would remain EEA members unless they invoked Article 127.

LaCroix wrote: Well, staying in the EEA means the UK has to follow pretty much the same rules as now, but has no say in them. That'd be a stupid move.


Leaving the EU while remaining in the EEA would still transfer significant amounts of sovereignty back to the UK. The UK would no longer be a part of the ECJ and the common agricultural and fisheries policy. It would be able to negotiate treaties with other countries outside of the EU. And there are provisions for some control (albeit limited) over immigration. Only ~28% of EU legislation is applicable to EEA members. And although EEA members do not have a formal vote they are required to be consulted when legislation is proposed that may effect them, and there are some mechanisms to challenge the legislation when its put into force.

The EEA would check off all the requirements on May's list of things she wants, and at the very least moving to the EEA first would give them time to rebuild agreements with another nations before withdrawing entirely. Naturally May is against the notion since "ZOMG immigrants!" trumps everything else.



However they would still have to allow freedom of movement and the other core freedoms which apparently is a rubicon for them.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs

User avatar
Tribble
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2013
Joined: 2008-11-18 11:28am
Location: stardestroyer.net

Re: Brexit: UK to leave single market, says Theresa May

Postby Tribble » 2017-03-29 04:34pm

Thanas wrote:
Tribble wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:Did they get a ruling on whether invoking article 50 also invoked 127 automatically? All the rhetoric has been all out all the way but it'd be interesting if we actually stopped short of it.


IIRC UK courts dismissed the case for the moment claiming it was too premature to look into.Of course, another option would be to invoke parliamentary sovereignty and just flat out withdraw all the legislation without negotiations... May will likely go that route.

As it stands right now though, technically speaking I would argue that the UK has not started the process of leaving the EEA. The fact that the both the EU and the UK (along with other countries) signed the EEA agreement separately implies that they would remain EEA members unless they invoked Article 127.

LaCroix wrote: Well, staying in the EEA means the UK has to follow pretty much the same rules as now, but has no say in them. That'd be a stupid move.


Leaving the EU while remaining in the EEA would still transfer significant amounts of sovereignty back to the UK. The UK would no longer be a part of the ECJ and the common agricultural and fisheries policy. It would be able to negotiate treaties with other countries outside of the EU. And there are provisions for some control (albeit limited) over immigration. Only ~28% of EU legislation is applicable to EEA members. And although EEA members do not have a formal vote they are required to be consulted when legislation is proposed that may effect them, and there are some mechanisms to challenge the legislation when its put into force.

The EEA would check off all the requirements on May's list of things she wants, and at the very least moving to the EEA first would give them time to rebuild agreements with another nations before withdrawing entirely. Naturally May is against the notion since "ZOMG immigrants!" trumps everything else.



However they would still have to allow freedom of movement and the other core freedoms which apparently is a rubicon for them.


I know, I agree that position really stupid. It's "100% European immigrant ban or bust" apparently. I'm just pointing out that moving into the EEA is not a terrible decision on its own, especially when compared to what they are trying to pull off.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - the official Troll motto as stated by Adam Savage

User avatar
Thanas
Magister
Magister
Posts: 30186
Joined: 2004-06-26 07:49pm

Re: Brexit: UK to leave single market, says Theresa May

Postby Thanas » 2017-03-31 10:26am

Gibraltar might have to be handed back to the Spanish or become a poor third-world country according to the EU if a deal is to succeed.
Spanish diplomats have succeeded with inserting language to that effect into the negotiation guidelines.

Gee, maybe May should not have threatened the EU. "Give us free trade or we will not honour the defence treaties we have with you" is not going to work out.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs

User avatar
Tribble
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2013
Joined: 2008-11-18 11:28am
Location: stardestroyer.net

Re: Brexit: UK to leave single market, says Theresa May

Postby Tribble » 2017-03-31 11:15am

Thanas wrote:Gibraltar might have to be handed back to the Spanish or become a poor third-world country according to the EU if a deal is to succeed.
Spanish diplomats have succeeded with inserting language to that effect into the negotiation guidelines.

Gee, maybe May should not have threatened the EU. "Give us free trade or we will not honour the defence treaties we have with you" is not going to work out.


Well then I guess the UK won't be forming any trade deals with the EU. And if it comes down to it I'm pretty confident that the UK will start shooting if Spain tried to take it via force.

Edit: and it's not really a defensive agreement - Britain outright captured Gibraltar in 1704 and it was ceded to Britain in the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713. Spanish desires for repossession aren't exactly a new idea here.

Not to mention that Gibraltar overwhelmingly opposed the idea of giving Spain back some control in every referendum held on the subject (though this could potentially change as Brexit goes on).
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - the official Troll motto as stated by Adam Savage

User avatar
Thanas
Magister
Magister
Posts: 30186
Joined: 2004-06-26 07:49pm

Re: Brexit: UK to leave single market, says Theresa May

Postby Thanas » 2017-03-31 01:06pm

Tribble wrote:Edit: and it's not really a defensive agreement - Britain outright captured Gibraltar in 1704 and it was ceded to Britain in the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713. Spanish desires for repossession aren't exactly a new idea here.



I was referring to May's blackmail attempt in the Brexit letter.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 11780
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: Brexit: UK to leave single market, says Theresa May

Postby The Romulan Republic » 2017-03-31 04:18pm

Tribble wrote:
Thanas wrote:Gibraltar might have to be handed back to the Spanish or become a poor third-world country according to the EU if a deal is to succeed.
Spanish diplomats have succeeded with inserting language to that effect into the negotiation guidelines.

Gee, maybe May should not have threatened the EU. "Give us free trade or we will not honour the defence treaties we have with you" is not going to work out.


Well then I guess the UK won't be forming any trade deals with the EU. And if it comes down to it I'm pretty confident that the UK will start shooting if Spain tried to take it via force.


So this cluster fuck could potentially end in a war between Britain and the EU?

Or is Spain attempting to take it by force basically something that would never realistically happen?

Edit: and it's not really a defensive agreement - Britain outright captured Gibraltar in 1704 and it was ceded to Britain in the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713. Spanish desires for repossession aren't exactly a new idea here.

Not to mention that Gibraltar overwhelmingly opposed the idea of giving Spain back some control in every referendum held on the subject (though this could potentially change as Brexit goes on).


I hate to say it, because the British government are a bunch of Nazi-lite morons tearing their own country apart, but its hard not to side with Britain in that case.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - Lincoln.

User avatar
SolarpunkFan
Padawan Learner
Posts: 296
Joined: 2016-02-28 08:15am

Re: Brexit: UK to leave single market, says Theresa May

Postby SolarpunkFan » 2017-03-31 06:04pm

Vendetta wrote:Has there been anything about the entire Brexit process, especially anything emanating from the British government, that wasn't a stupid move?

It would be a stupid move in a stupid game played by arch dimwits. The only reason it wouldn't happen is if they found anything even stupider to do instead.


Is anyone surprised at this?

I mean, the Tories have a tight grip on the U.K. You know, these guys?
"A quasar is the most powerful object in the universe. It is bright with energy" - Captain Ryker demonstrating his "knowledge"

"You drongos will have to do better than that if you want to beat the devil!" - Hugh Dawkins, also known as "The Tasmanian Devil"

User avatar
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie
Posts: 19697
Joined: 2003-02-26 11:39am
Location: Elysium

Re: Brexit: UK to leave single market, says Theresa May

Postby K. A. Pital » 2017-04-02 05:55am

In other news, Spain will no longer veto Scotland potentially joining the EU as a member state.

As I've thought before, Sturgeon would have likely checked her cards before going on with the second referendum tactic, and likely heard some noises from the EU which were reassuring. Now comes the confirmation - the EU, as a whole, can make some of its members accept unwelcome results, if it furthers the interests of the whole bloc.

Very interesting times, very interesting. Will Mel Gibson ride again on his horse or not?
It is of paramount importance to achieve naval superiority... because humans are mostly made of water

User avatar
Zaune
Sith Acolyte
Posts: 5458
Joined: 2010-06-21 11:05am
Location: In Transit
Contact:

Re: Brexit: UK to leave single market, says Theresa May

Postby Zaune » 2017-04-02 07:11am

At this point, I think Scottish independence is damn near inevitable. The only question is whether it can be achieved without bloodshed.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)


Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin


Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

User avatar
Hillary
Jedi Master
Posts: 1247
Joined: 2005-06-29 11:31am
Location: Londinium

Re: Brexit: UK to leave single market, says Theresa May

Postby Hillary » 2017-04-02 07:19am

Zaune wrote:At this point, I think Scottish independence is damn near inevitable. The only question is whether it can be achieved without bloodshed.


FFS, don't be a drama queen. The Scots will get another referendum - the only question is when it will be. If they then vote for independence (which probably isn't the most likely result as things stand), they will get it. There will be no need for Mel Gibson to be wheeled out.
What is WRONG with you people

User avatar
Hillary
Jedi Master
Posts: 1247
Joined: 2005-06-29 11:31am
Location: Londinium

Re: Brexit: UK to leave single market, says Theresa May

Postby Hillary » 2017-04-02 07:29am

Thanas wrote:Gibraltar might have to be handed back to the Spanish or become a poor third-world country according to the EU if a deal is to succeed.
Spanish diplomats have succeeded with inserting language to that effect into the negotiation guidelines.

Gee, maybe May should not have threatened the EU. "Give us free trade or we will not honour the defence treaties we have with you" is not going to work out.


Just because May is behaving like a knob, there's no need for the EU to follow suit. This is a dickish move by them that only impacts the people of Gibraltar. Spain has no defensible claim on the Rock but is doing some sabre rattling for internal purposes, as it does periodically. Are the EU seriously prepared to try and force the UK to give Gibraltar back to Spain in defiance of almost its entire population.

You should note that Gibraltar voted 96% to Remain, so the EU has fucked off a load of its allies. Stupid.

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Tribble wrote:
Well then I guess the UK won't be forming any trade deals with the EU. And if it comes down to it I'm pretty confident that the UK will start shooting if Spain tried to take it via force.


So this cluster fuck could potentially end in a war between Britain and the EU?

Or is Spain attempting to take it by force basically something that would never realistically happen?


No, this is not going to happen. Neither the UK or the EU wants a war over Gibraltar - it's absurd to think it.
What is WRONG with you people

User avatar
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 9686
Joined: 2003-04-10 03:45pm
Location: Cheshire, England
Contact:

Re: Brexit: UK to leave single market, says Theresa May

Postby Crazedwraith » 2017-04-02 07:38am

Generally I'm assuming every is going to sound like a knob and grab as many bargaining chips as they can at the moment. The EU might so much want to get Gibralter for Spain as to make May concede on other issues to keep it.
To the brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... sucks to be you - Peter David

User avatar
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Posts: 9507
Joined: 2004-12-12 10:55pm
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Re: Brexit: UK to leave single market, says Theresa May

Postby mr friendly guy » 2017-04-02 07:40am

My prediction. Right wing fiction will now have the EU invade Gibraltar and the brave Brexit supporters have to save it.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to.
Australia, Canada, China, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.

User avatar
Zaune
Sith Acolyte
Posts: 5458
Joined: 2010-06-21 11:05am
Location: In Transit
Contact:

Re: Brexit: UK to leave single market, says Theresa May

Postby Zaune » 2017-04-02 07:49am

Hillary wrote:FFS, don't be a drama queen. The Scots will get another referendum - the only question is when it will be. If they then vote for independence (which probably isn't the most likely result as things stand), they will get it. There will be no need for Mel Gibson to be wheeled out.


Given this administration's track record for doing the most damn silly thing possible in the most damn silly way possible, I'll believe Scotland are getting a referendum when there's official confirmation of the date, and that Whitehall will respect the result of it when the necessary Act of Parliament gets Royal Assent. Until then I'm not ruling out anything. I don't think the nightmare scenario of straight-up civil war is likely, but the chain of incredibly stupid decisions necessary to change that is worryingly short.

Hillary wrote:No, this is not going to happen. Neither the UK or the EU wants a war over Gibraltar - it's absurd to think it.

It was absurd to think we'd be having this conversation in the first place not so long ago, but here we are.

EDIT: "Well that escalated quickly... Lord Howard tells Sophy [Ridge from Sky News]: PM would show "same resolve" re Gibraltar as Mrs T in Falklands"
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)


Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin


Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

User avatar
Thanas
Magister
Magister
Posts: 30186
Joined: 2004-06-26 07:49pm

Re: Brexit: UK to leave single market, says Theresa May

Postby Thanas » 2017-04-02 09:55am

Hillary wrote:
Thanas wrote:Gibraltar might have to be handed back to the Spanish or become a poor third-world country according to the EU if a deal is to succeed.
Spanish diplomats have succeeded with inserting language to that effect into the negotiation guidelines.

Gee, maybe May should not have threatened the EU. "Give us free trade or we will not honour the defence treaties we have with you" is not going to work out.


Just because May is behaving like a knob, there's no need for the EU to follow suit. This is a dickish move by them that only impacts the people of Gibraltar. Spain has no defensible claim on the Rock but is doing some sabre rattling for internal purposes, as it does periodically. Are the EU seriously prepared to try and force the UK to give Gibraltar back to Spain in defiance of almost its entire population.


No, I think this is the EU gently reminding Britain that they have the better bargaining position.


EDIT: To elaborate, in the letter May pretty much tried to blackmail the EU with security issues. This is the EU simply saying that this is not something May wants to escalate because there are a host of issues the EU could raise in return.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs


Return to “News and Politics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests