RIP Carrie Fisher (1956-2016)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: RIP Carrie Fisher (1956-2016)

Post by Broomstick »

Isolder74 wrote:Then again that puts Pence as president.
As someone who has put up with Pence as governor for four years I think we'd all be able to survive that. Pence is also far more diplomatic and tactful, which would be useful on the international stage.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

General Zod wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote: What they probably can't do legally, and certainly shouldn't be able to do, is take an existing actress, green-screen her scenes, and use CGI to superimpose Carrie Fisher's face on the new actress's body. Or use a synthetic version of Carrie Fisher's voice in lieu of the new actress.
Except that's basically what they did with Peter Cushing so . . .
The face thing yes but the voice thing no, they used Guy Henry doing his best Peter Cushing voice impersonation (while wearing a rather elaborate and crazy capture rig) rather than trying to recreate Cushing's voice from old sound bits.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Elfdart wrote:
Isolder74 wrote:Posted here because it is relevant to the topic. This year just is plain sadistic!
This reminds me of Dec. 2001, when an aunt, an uncle, a cousin who was eight months pregnant and a close friend I had known since I was twelve all died (including the baby) within ten days. It had gotten to the point where I just didn't want to answer the phone anymore because I knew it would be news of another friend or family member dying.

I hate this fucking year. It was bad enough on its own, but now it's dredging up bad memories too. Fuck 2016.
Oh god. I'm so sorry to hear that. My Grandfather died on christmas day of 2014. We knew it was coming (he had brain damage and signed a do not resuscitate) but it still sucked
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Darth Yan wrote:
Elfdart wrote:
Isolder74 wrote:Posted here because it is relevant to the topic. This year just is plain sadistic!
This reminds me of Dec. 2001, when an aunt, an uncle, a cousin who was eight months pregnant and a close friend I had known since I was twelve all died (including the baby) within ten days. It had gotten to the point where I just didn't want to answer the phone anymore because I knew it would be news of another friend or family member dying.

I hate this fucking year. It was bad enough on its own, but now it's dredging up bad memories too. Fuck 2016.
Oh god. I'm so sorry to hear that. My Grandfather died on christmas day of 2014. We knew it was coming (he had brain damage and signed a do not resuscitate) but it still sucked
Death of a relative is always a gut punch no matter how predictble it was, I remember when my grandfather died about 7 years ago (in fact a bit before my niece was born). While my grandfather did have health issues so we knew that it was only a matter of time before he would die (he was in his 80s) but it still was painful when happend, even more so for my mother who in addition having just lost her father had to deal with my granfather's estate with her siblings (thankfully there was no bad blood there but still it was emtionally draining or so she told me).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Lord Revan wrote:
Darth Yan wrote:
Elfdart wrote:
This reminds me of Dec. 2001, when an aunt, an uncle, a cousin who was eight months pregnant and a close friend I had known since I was twelve all died (including the baby) within ten days. It had gotten to the point where I just didn't want to answer the phone any more because I knew it would be news of another friend or family member dying.

Oh god. I'm so sorry to hear that. My Grandfather died on Christmas day of 2014. We knew it was coming (he had brain damage and signed a do not resuscitate) but it still sucked
Death of a relative is always a gut punch no matter how predictable it was, I remember when my grandfather died about 7 years ago (in fact a bit before my niece was born). While my grandfather did have health issues so we knew that it was only a matter of time before he would die (he was in his 80s) but it still was painful when happened, even more so for my mother who in addition having just lost her father had to deal with my grandfather's estate with her siblings (thankfully there was no bad blood there but still it was emotionally draining or so she told me).
I know what you mean- 13 September 2014 was when my Grandma died- she'd been suffering from Alzheimer's and had gone downhill to the point she could no longer move and was basically unresponsive. Seeing her for the first time like that was awful as she was a mere shell of relative I'd known my whole life. The doctors gave her a week, she lasted ten days- at least she survived long enough for my Aunt (who lives in California) to get here in time before she passed. Because we'd been told singing songs from better times might help, including "singing in the rain", it's ruined said songs for me since I cannot hear them without being immediately reminded of the sight of her as she lay dying in that fucking care home :x
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Their was a nice tribute to Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds on the Golden Globe awards tonight.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Apparently, her ashes was buried in a canister shaped like a huge Prozak, an item she loved very much. She will always be unique.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting