Pentagon: Ground Offensive on Baghdad has begun!

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Pentagon: Ground Offensive on Baghdad has begun!

Post by MKSheppard »

Breaking.....

US launching major ground offensive against the Republican Guards
surrounding Baghdad...

45-60 day pause, my ass
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

There still however 60-80 kilometers from the city, and have only engaged one division of up to a half dozen guarding the place. Though its unlikely the others will be able to conduct more then local redeployments.

The Marines are also closing on Kut, but they won't be sharing the fait of the British whose inept commander had them entrench there during WW1.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Re: Pentagon: Ground Offensive on Baghdad has begun!

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

MKSheppard wrote:Breaking.....

US launching major ground offensive against the Republican Guards
surrounding Baghdad...

45-60 day pause, my ass
Who was saying a pause that big?
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Who was saying a pause that big?
One of the articles.

Either way, the Medina Division isn't part of the main ring of defenses. There are five (count em, five) other divisions defending Baghdad, and Medina is 'ahead' of the ring, according to a war map I saw. They are the Baghdad, the Nebuchanezzar, Hammurabi, Al-Nida, and the Adnan.

One thing that fucking pisses me off is the dumbasses on Fox News don't know what the fuck the name of a division means, so they say it in a very stupid context:

"there are those Medina divisions, being reinforced by those Nebuchanezzar divisions" as if it's some sort of classification like "infantry" instead of just a name.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

This doesn't really seem like an attack on Baghdad, per se, but an attack designed to defeat the city's outer defenses and Republican Guard units.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Vympel wrote: One thing that fucking pisses me off is the dumbasses on Fox News don't know what the fuck the name of a division means, so they say it in a very stupid context:

"there are those Medina divisions, being reinforced by those Nebuchanezzar divisions" as if it's some sort of classification like "infantry" instead of just a name.
You expect reporters to bother to learn military terminology?
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

I can imagine a marine busting into the city with his M-16 held firmly in one hand and shouting at the top of his lungs, "Honey! I'm HOOOOooooooommmme!"
Proud owner of The Fleshlight
G.A.L.E. Force - Bisexual Airborn Division
SDnet Resident Psycho Clown

"I hear and behold God in every object, yet I understand God not in the least, / Nor do I understand who there can be more wonderful than myself."
--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Beowulf wrote:
Vympel wrote: One thing that fucking pisses me off is the dumbasses on Fox News don't know what the fuck the name of a division means, so they say it in a very stupid context:

Oh my god. I used to have to write the teleprompters for those people. You would not believe how stupid some of them are.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Master of Ossus wrote:
Beowulf wrote:

Oh my god. I used to have to write the teleprompters for those people. You would not believe how stupid some of them are.
You sure?
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Beowulf wrote:You sure?
Okay. One of the things that we ALWAYS told reporters and anchors is that, if they ARE going to deviate from teh script to make "small talk," they are not allowed to ask questions of a news-related matter. They're also not supposed to belittle the audience. One of them had a particular problem doing this, and decided to remind people that Alaskans did accept American money as currency following a story.

Another one asked me why I hadn't spelled "rendezvous" foe-en-et-ik-all-ee following a news broadcast.

Then you have the ones that try to talk about things they haven't a clue about....

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

US troops prepping to fight for Saddam International

Map of Baghdad
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944