Indicted House Member (D): Orlando victims would be alive if agents weren’t investigating me

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Indicted House Member (D): Orlando victims would be alive if agents weren’t investigating me

Post by TimothyC »

Caitlin Yilek for The Hill wrote:

Rep. Corrine Brown (D-Fla.) said Friday that if the Department of Justice had been investigating the Orlando nightclub shooter instead of her, the 49 people killed in the massacre there last month would still be alive.

Brown was charged with 24 counts of fraud late last week, after being accused of using a college scholarship fund as “a personal slush fund.”

“These are the same agents that was not able to do a thorough investigation of [shooter Omar Mateen], and we ended up with 50 people dead,” Brown said. Mateen was shot and killed by police at the scene of the Orlando nightclub attack, bringing the total death toll to 50.

Brown’s lawyer echoed those sentiments.

“Perhaps had it chosen to devote its resources more thoughtfully, 50 innocent people would be alive today,” Elizabeth White said, according to First Coast News.

Prosecutors allege that the Florida lawmaker and her chief of staff, Elias “Ronnie” Simmons, used her office to solicit hundreds of thousands of dollars in donations to the fake charity.

On Sunday, Brown seemed to draw parallels from her situation to the shootings of Philando Castile, Alton Sterling and the police officers in Dallas.

“Two black men were needlessly gunned down by police; five Dallas police officers were slain by a demented man, and on Friday I had to appear in federal court,” she wrote on her blog, as reported by BuzzFeed News. “I’m not the first black elected official to be persecuted and, sad to say, I won’t be the last.”
Yep. I'm sure that's how the FBI works.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Re: Indicted House Member (D): Orlando victims would be alive if agents weren’t investigating me

Post by Terralthra »

What an asshole.
maraxus2
Padawan Learner

Re: Indicted House Member (D): Orlando victims would be alive if agents weren’t investigating me

Post by maraxus2 »

Corrine Brown's been flailing around like an octopus out of water for a long time now. She's most upset that her Congressional district got blown to shit by SCOTUS, and is insisting on running in an election that everyone's pretty sure she can't win.

Wish she would be like the other East Coast Dem who got indicted (and then convicted) recently. Chaka Fattah had the decency to resign once he lost his primary.
What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

God, I remember her bullshit from when I was living in FL. I didn't think she could be a bigger moron. She has proven me wrong.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Especially given that the Orlando shooter was apparently investigated by the FBI like three times and they didn't find anything.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Ralin wrote:Especially given that the Orlando shooter was apparently investigated by the FBI like three times and they didn't find anything.
That's because they were too busy going after her to do a proper job investigating him, the fact they failed three times just proves that, and the fact that agents investigating fraud almost certainly aren't the same ones who investigate potential links to terrorist organisations is completely irrelevant.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Lost Soal wrote:
Ralin wrote:Especially given that the Orlando shooter was apparently investigated by the FBI like three times and they didn't find anything.
That's because they were too busy going after her to do a proper job investigating him, the fact they failed three times just proves that, and the fact that agents investigating fraud almost certainly aren't the same ones who investigate potential links to terrorist organisations is completely irrelevant.
...I may not be sufficiently caffeinated this morning. Is the first part of your sentence there before 'and' sarcastic?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Yes
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

But don't you understand? She's playing the persecuted victim card. According to her she's only being investigated because she's a non-white female in politics!

The truth of the matter is that the justice system tries to work under the premise that people are innocent until proven guilty. Even in this case. Being indicted does mean that the DA Office feel they have enough evidence to take the matter to a trial. It is up to the trial to determine if any crime has been committed. So far her defense has been pretty poor. I hope she steps up her game.

As for her premise that it is because they spent time looking into a fraud case that the FBI are responsible for 50 deaths because they couldn't find that a future criminal was going to a future criminal, I'm starting to think she thinks Minority Report was actually a documentary!
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Isolder74 wrote:But don't you understand? She's playing the persecuted victim card. According to her she's only being investigated because she's a non-white female in politics!

The truth of the matter is that the justice system tries to work under the premise that people are innocent until proven guilty. Even in this case. Being indicted does mean that the DA Office feel they have enough evidence to take the matter to a trial. It is up to the trial to determine if any crime has been committed. So far her defense has been pretty poor. I hope she steps up her game.

As for her premise that it is because they spent time looking into a fraud case that the FBI are responsible for 50 deaths because they couldn't find that a future criminal was going to a future criminal, I'm starting to think she thinks Minority Report was actually a documentary!
To be fair, there are plenty of innocent minorities (and non minorities) who are persecuted by asshole cops and DA's, and our justice system unfortunately doesn't consider people "innocent until proven guilty" enough.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw