Attempted Trump assassination

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Attempted Trump assassination

Post by Thanas »

WTF are you banging on about? The extermination of lesser races has got nothing to do with the Kulturkampf.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Lord Revan wrote:Except pretty much all protestant sects are an evolution of catholic sect hence the whole "protestant" name as they were born as a protest to the corruption of the catholic church (at the time), I think a better analogue would catholic and orthodox sects which both split from orginal sect but are otherwise independent of each other.

EDIT: this was a reply to Purple.
Sort of bad example, I know. But what other alternative pair of sects could I invoke without running into a theological debate, stuff people are unfamiliar with or worse yet invoking Islam?
U.P. Cinnabar wrote:Hitler and his cohorts adopted and adapted Mussolini's philosophy to suit their own needs, didn't they? The core principles of ultranationalism, imperialism, extreme corporatism, and anti-unionism remained the same, with the extermination of "lesser races," the inevitable conclusion of the Kulturkampf begun by Bismarck, being the sole difference between the two ideologies.

And, I'm not so sure of even that.
I would argue that they already had a very similar framework of their own and just picked and chose bits from his where it suited them instead of adopting it. A case of parallel evolution with interbreeding rather than one being born from the other. Especially once you consider that the Italians them self really did not come up with too much new. They merely took a number of things that were very prevalent historically and combined them with a new brand name.

Either way, we are getting way, way off topic here.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Yous guys know this is about a lame ass attempt to kill the toupe'd one, right?
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Flagg wrote:Yous guys know this is about a lame ass attempt to kill the toupe'd one, right?
The most common use of history is complicating and extending discussions about the present.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Lagmonster wrote:
Flagg wrote:Yous guys know this is about a lame ass attempt to kill the toupe'd one, right?
The most common use of history is complicating and extending discussions about the present.
Except it's not remotely on topic? I mean you're the mods it's your call, but if the rational for putting all gun control arguments in one thread because they are off topic, then why is this here? There are almost as many if not more posts about things other than Trump getting almost, kinda, sorta, but close to being whacked.

I mean the title says "Trump almost assassinated", not "is Trump a fascist?"
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Thanas wrote:WTF are you banging on about? The extermination of lesser races has got nothing to do with the Kulturkampf.
I imagine it depends on the natures and identities of the cultures doing the struggling. Bismarck and Hitler may have had different ideas about that, I'd think.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Thanas wrote:WTF are you banging on about? The extermination of lesser races has got nothing to do with the Kulturkampf.
It didn't?! Oh, okay. Got my history confused. Sorry.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Simon_Jester wrote:
I imagine it depends on the natures and identities of the cultures doing the struggling. Bismarck and Hitler may have had different ideas about that, I'd think.
No it does not. Kulturkampf specifically refers to Bismarck's actions to break the power of the Catholic Church. That is all it refers to and any students of German history know that.

Any other interpretation is quite simply wrong, just like 2+2=5 is wrong. It is not a matter of opinion.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

That would probably explain the problem. It is possible to think (incorrectly) that one knows what "Kulturkampf" means because one knows what the words "Kultur" and "Kampf" mean, without knowing the historical context well enough to realize that it refers specifically to a single policy and is never used at any time to refer to anything else in all of German history.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Seriously, just suggestinng that Hitler's holocaust is the logical conclusion of Bismarck beggers belief. It is like claiming the atom bomb was the logical extension of the war of 1812.
------------
------------
My LPs
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

I'm just impressed (not in a good way, mind you) that this guy spent a whole year working on his assassination plan . . . and wound up with THAT.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

The Romulan Republic wrote:For an example of how the martyr effect can shape politics, look at the shift in favour of staying in the EU after the recent murder of a pro-EU MP by a neo-Nazi in Britain.

Had this wanker succeeded, he might have actually ended up further Trump's worst ideas.
My understanding is that yougov said there was no such shift, the polls were turning before the shooting (and of course it turned out that the polls were unrepresentative or too volatile anyway)
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Zeropoint wrote:I'm just impressed (not in a good way, mind you) that this guy spent a whole year working on his assassination plan . . . and wound up with THAT.
From what I've read (which could be wrong) this guy had mental health issues so it wouldn't surprice me that he thought he was like the lead in action movie and could grab the gun without issues while the authorities strared in disbelief.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

Oh, that's just . . . kind of sad, then. I'm okay with mocking people for being stupid, but not with mocking people for having health problems.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Lord Revan wrote:From what I've read (which could be wrong) this guy had mental health issues so it wouldn't surprice me that he thought he was like the lead in action movie and could grab the gun without issues while the authorities strared in disbelief.
Zeropoint wrote:Oh, that's just . . . kind of sad, then. I'm okay with mocking people for being stupid, but not with mocking people for having health problems.
The would-be assassin wasn't psychotic, he was asocial. The line between preferring your own company and being considered mentally ill is pretty fuzzy, but I don't think it is why he tried to kill Trump.