Worldwide gun control disscussion

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Re: Worldwide gun control disscussion

Post by MKSheppard »

General Zod wrote:No dingus, I'm saying that if neighboring states don't enforce the ban too it's a meaningless gesture.
Again, you cannot buy handguns outside of your home state; has been that way for the last forty-seven years -- applies to both private and dealer sales.

This...combined with Maryland "closing the moving sale loophole" three years ago in FSA 2013, means that Baltimore might become crime free soon!

A PERSON WHO MOVES INTO THE STATE WITH THE INTENT OF BECOMING A RESIDENT SHALL REGISTER ALL REGULATED FIREARMS WITH THE SECRETARY WITHIN 90 DAYS AFTER ESTABLISHING RESIDENCY.

That one worked out so well in the Eulalio Tordil case. :angelic:
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Elheru Aran wrote:Do you have a point
The point is; tons of what he proposes (end private sales, etc, etc) has been done by Maryland and has been done for a statistically long enough period of time that it SHOULD be making a statistically significant impact on Bodymore's murder rate; given that the firearms market for Handguns has been walled off into 50 different states regarding "portability" since 1968's GCA.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

MKSheppard wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:Do you have a point
The point is; tons of what he proposes (end private sales, etc, etc) has been done by Maryland and has been done for a statistically long enough period of time that it SHOULD be making a statistically significant impact on Bodymore's murder rate; given that the firearms market for Handguns has been walled off into 50 different states regarding "portability" since 1968's GCA.
Again, still not suggesting any solutions. These are the facts, that's fine. What do you think should be done about it?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

To: Broomstick

Before we continue this conversation any further, question:

Were you born in, or did you spend significant amounts of time growing up in Massachusetts?

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Elheru Aran wrote:Again, still not suggesting any solutions. These are the facts, that's fine. What do you think should be done about it?
There's already someone out there proposing solutions:

"Nolle Prosequi Project" on Facebook.

What he does is he looks up the backgrounds of people arrested across Maryland for "Bad things"; and finds interesting things.

Like back on 26 June 2016 two women were found beaten and one was shot in Baltimore at 3 AM during an armed robbery.

Baltimore PD arrested a suspect on 11 July 2016 and booked him.

"Nolle Prosequi Project" found through Maryland Judiciary Case Search LINK

that found out the rest of the story behind the suspect

Last Name: HEYWARD
First Name: CHRISTOPHER
Case Type: CRIMINAL
DOB: 10/6/1985

Cranks out a very busy career for the man:

07/17/2003:
ARMED CARJACKING
CARJACKING
ARMED ROBBERY
ROBBERY
2D DEG ASSAULT
THEFT:$500 PLUS VALUE
Unlawful Use of a Livestock Motor Vehicle (!!!)
RECKLESS ENDANGERMENT
DEADLY WEAPON-INT/INJURE

04/08/2007
CDS: POSSESSION-MARIHUANA
HANDGUN IN VEHICLE
HANDGUN ON PERSON
FIREARM-POSS W/FEL CONV
REG FIREARM:ILLEGAL POSSESSION

06/26/2008
ASSAULT-FIRST DEGREE
DANGEROUS WEAPON-INT/INJURE
ASSAULT-SEC DEGREE
ATT 1ST DEG. MURDER

11/13/2012
POSS/REC WEAPON WHILE CONF/DET

...did knowingly [possess/receive] a weapon: to wit
______________ (name weapon) while [detained at/confined
in] _______________ (place of confinement).

01/08/2016
FRAUD-PER ID AVOID PAY UND $1,

...did knowingly and willfully assume the identity of
[another/fictitious person] to wit: _______________(name),
with fraudulent intent to avoid the payment of [a debt/other
legal obligation], to wit: _______________.

05/05/2016 (These are linked to 01/08/2016 so didn't occur in May)
False Statement To Officer/Cause
Assume False Identity

07/06/2016 (this is the one that got Nolle Prosequi Project's attention)
ATT 1ST DEG. MURDER (x3)
ATT 2ND DEG. MURDER (x3)
FIREARM USE/FEL-VIOL CRIME
HANDGUN ON PERSON
DISCHARG FIRE ARM W/IN CITY LI
ARMED ROBBERY (x3)
ROBBERY (x3)
ASSAULT-FIRST DEGREE (x3)
ASSAULT-SEC DEGREE (x3)
RECKLESS ENDANGERMENT (x3)
THEFT LESS THAN $100.00

Basically, certain individuals are high volume crime producers. Lock them up, crime goes down.

Problem with that is....*sigh* the current political climate in Baltimore following Freddie Gray.

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

General Zod wrote:
Here's an idea, why not just ban private sales? That would eliminate a significant chunk of the loopholes that exist for felons to get weapons. If you want to sell your guns as an individual, you need to go to a licensed dealer or pawn shop to sell them.
(1) Then you get situations like NY or CA where FFLs jack up transfer fees to absurd amounts.

(2)What is "hilariously transparent attempt at backdoor registry for $500?" Alex
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

General Zod wrote: Honestly, if you're too dumb to remember to bring a gun when you go hunting, you probably don't deserve to have one.
Fine, change it to "the firearm breaks" then, since you're dead set on not addressing the scenario.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Maybe I'm missing something here, but if a new gun back makes existing weapons illegal and they have to be turned in/destroyed/confiscated/bought-by-force/whatever despite being legally purchased, doesn't fall under retroactive laws, something you aren't supposed to do?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Elheru Aran wrote:Again, still not suggesting any solutions. These are the facts, that's fine. What do you think should be done about it?
Some more things to be done:

1.) Repeal FSA 2013 in its entirety.

Enforcing and administering the Handgun Qualification License (HQL)

requires several MSP Troopers and administrative personnel full time to run all the checks and keep track of everything. Eliminating FSA 2013 and the HQL will put those troopers back on the streets and the administrative personnel into other divisions of MSP in need of manpower; boosting MSP effective manpower at no cost.

2.) Make the Maryland Permit to Carry a Handgun SHALL ISSUE, instead of MAY ISSUE, via eliminating the "GOOD AND SUBSTANTIAL" clause

As in instead of 90% denying Marylanders their right to self defense; issue them automatically if they clear the background checks, like Virginia does.

As it is, you have to basically become the victim of a violent crime multiple times or be very rich and/or politically connected to get your Permit. The daughter of one of our county executives got her permit in <48 hours from application to ID card in hand.

3.) Eliminate the DUTY TO RETREAT clause in Maryland law; via passing STAND YOUR GROUND law(s).

4.) Commence construction of additional state prisons in economically depressed areas in Maryland to house inveterate repeat offenders.

5.) Midnight Basketball.

6.) Un-Repeal the Death Penalty. It only got repealed (and FSA2013 passed as well) because Martin O'Malley wanted desperately to burnish his progressive credentials for 2016. That didn't fucking help you a lot, MOM. :evil:

One of the killers on death row who got his sentence commuted to life by MOM was a contract killer who did a murder-for-hire job to kill a witness in a IIRC federal case in Baltimore, I believe.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

WTF does stand your ground and death penalty have to do with gun control?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Thanas wrote:WTF does stand your ground and death penalty have to do with gun control?
The biggest reason for gun control is basically firearm homicides when you get down to it. Suicides and accidents are the price of business -- if it wasn't then it would be something else later that got those people.

Firearm homicides in Maryland are basically caused by a very small subset of the population:

Baltimore Sun on 2015 in Baltimore Murders

Among the suspects, 76.5 percent had prior criminal records, 62.4 percent had prior drug arrests, 52.9 percent had been arrested for violent crimes, and 41.2 percent had been arrested for gun crimes. Nearly a quarter were on parole and probation at the time of the killing for which they are now a suspect. Nearly 2.5 percent were on parole and probation specifically for a gun crime at the time of the incident.

The average suspect had been arrested more than nine times before, and 15.3 percent of the suspects were suspected gang members, the report said.

Reducing that population through any method available, whether it's through longer incarcerations or by increasing the occupational hazards of the job (being shot by armed citizens) will have a high payback rate on the effort expended.

Regarding the death penalty thing -- okay, I'll admit it's a bit OT, given how rarely it was actually applied here in MD (4 people on our death row when it was ended), but it was part of a whole package deal of schlonging that former Governor O'Malley applied to Maryland in order to burnish his progressive credentials for his failed 2016 Presidential run. So I'm a bit bitter. :P

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I don't accept your reasoning that gun accicdents would still happen if there are no guns.

And I also don't accept your reasoning that more guns and stand your ground will decrease crime. There is no evience that it does.

So the death penalty has nothing to do with it?
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Thanas wrote:I don't accept your reasoning that gun accicdents would still happen if there are no guns.
My reasoning is if there are no guns, then different types of accidents involving other devices will have an equally high probability of occurring to those people beyond the baseline random chances involved in life. It's pretty nilhilist, maybe, but so am I these days. :P
And I also don't accept your reasoning that more guns and stand your ground will decrease crime. There is no evidence that it does.
Right now; pretty much everyone is legally unarmed in Maryland outside the home other than the police and various agencies. The criminals of course, are already carrying and don't care if they're snatched -- a gun charge is something they simply plead guilty to in exchange to get a more serious charge dropped in a plea deal.

Looking at the stats for 2014 is instructive:

Data From:
http://crimeresearch.org/wp-content/upl ... States.pdf
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/20 ... es/table-5
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/20 ... s/table-20

Maryland 2014:
5,976,000 population
14,298~ concealed carry permits -- 223.2 CCWers per 100K
208 firearm homicides (Total Murder rate of 6.1 per 100K)
Aggravated
assault rate of 253.2 per 100K
Robbery rate of 159.7 per 100K

Virginia 2014:
8,326,000 population
363,274 concealed carry permits -- 4,363.1 CCWers per 100K
228 firearm homicides (Total Murder rate of 4.1 per 100K)
Aggravated
assault rate of 112.9 per 100K
Robbery rate of 51.5 per 100K

Both states are:

A.) Next to each other.

B.) Both share major transportation arteries (I-95, etc) that run through nearby states -- for a long time, Virginia had a one gun a month law; and ZOMG EVIL GUN RUNNERS would run up I-95 with trunkloads of guns from the Carolinas. :P

C.) Both states have diametrically opposed firearm policies.

D.) Both states have large amounts of shitholes in them (Bodymore in MD, and Richmond/Norfolk in VA).

Takeaway from the simple data comparison above:

A. ) Firearms homicides largely unaffected by gun laws in general OR ease of obtaining a concealed carry permit in the state. Probably because gun homicides are intensely concentrated in urban areas amongst a self-selected population that intensely murders amongst themselves.

B.) Availability of guns in the hands of the general public does *seem* to have an effect on non homicide serious crimes -- how much is difficult to quantify -- for example, both states have similar rape rates (average of 23.1 per 100K in MD and 22.5 per 100K in VA) -- I have my theories on why the rape rates are so similar, but that would be a sidetrack.
So the death penalty has nothing to do with it?
At the rate Maryland applied it; it was virtually worthless. :-(

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Maybe I'm missing something here, but if a new gun back makes existing weapons illegal and they have to be turned in/destroyed/confiscated/bought-by-force/whatever despite being legally purchased, doesn't fall under retroactive laws, something you aren't supposed to do?

Yup.

Happens anyway.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

General Zod wrote:Here's an idea, why not just ban private sales? That would eliminate a significant chunk of the loopholes that exist for felons to get weapons. If you want to sell your guns as an individual, you need to go to a licensed dealer or pawn shop to sell them.
People willing to sell guns to criminals aren't going to obey that law.

The only way to enforce it would be to have a gun registry and require everyone who owns a gun to show up on a regular basis affirming that they do, in fact, still have the gun.

That's going to be a very, very intrusive bureaucratic requirement. We'd need a list of the hundreds of millions of guns in America. If people are having to carry them in to state offices so that they can be checked off on the list as "still belong to rightful owner," how many guns can one clerk check off the list in a year? We'd probably have to do the checks at something like yearly intervals. Maybe, oh... every two years. Estimate 300 million guns in America, that means 150 million guns to check off per year. How many guns can one clerk check in one day? If they're doing their job carefully and filing the paperwork properly, it probably takes at least a few minutes per gun. Factoring in bureaucratic overhead I doubt they can work more than six hours a day on checking off guns, so each clerk gets in something like 100 guns per day, and works for about 250 days a year... So you need forty clerks to check a million guns a year, and that's a rather optimistic estimate. To do all the guns in America, once every two years, you'd need 150 times forty is six thousand clerks.

And again, that's an optimistic estimate, based on the assumption that each gun takes an average of five minutes of the clerk's time to identify, verify, and file paperwork on. And that the clerks are available to do this every work day.

So basically, you need five to ten thousand gun registry clerks nationwide, all of whom have to be familiar enough with firearms to identify the guns they're supposed to be checking off on the list. And their only job is to check off the guns on the registry, while all the many millions of gun owners wait in line a la the DMV, carrying with them hundreds or thousands of dollars' worth of guns.

On top of that, we'd need some way of tracking the guns that get stolen- and gun thefts would be going up because we're requiring people to carry their guns around in public and openly declare that they possess them, which makes them easier and more attractive targets for theft. We need mechanisms to enforce compliance, costing more manpower. But we must not enforce it too harshly, because for every gun that is unlawfully sold by the real owner, there will be a number of guns that are stolen and sold, or lost or broken, or people who just plain forget to come in for licensing, or who view the act of refusing to register their guns as civil disobedience.

Plus, of course, the massive up front cost of registering all 300 million guns in anything like a timely manner. How do we do that, exactly? The honor system?

And the gun lobby will fight all this tooth and nail, because they expect such registries to be used to confiscate guns for petty or dubiously legal reasons... because this has already happened when gun control politicians willfully poison their own wells by expanding their registration and control laws out of proportion to what they originally negotiated with the gun lobby for.
Elheru Aran wrote:
MKSheppard wrote:
General Zod wrote:Turns out banning private sales is unenforceable unless everyone does it? Who fucking knew.
1968 called and said "well, um about that...we kind of banned all out-of-state sales for handguns forty-seven years ago."
Do you have a point, considering he pretty much noted what you were getting at with your last post, or are you just continuing your usual style of trolling by data-dumping about your little slice of the States without any relevant analysis and acting like it applies across the board to everything?

Frankly all through this thread, Shep, you've been dumping sheets and sheets of data about Maryland and Baltimore. That's fine, and some of it's actually useful... but you're acting like it's demonstrating that gun control is useless in general, and not bothering to do any analysis apart from picking terminology to little wee quivering bits.

How about you start talking about what you think would actually work as far as gun control goes?
Actually I think he has a point. Do we have evidence that Virginia, Delaware, Pennsylvania, and so on ARE ignoring the laws on handgun sales to out-of-state residents?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Lonestar wrote:
General Zod wrote: Honestly, if you're too dumb to remember to bring a gun when you go hunting, you probably don't deserve to have one.
Fine, change it to "the firearm breaks" then, since you're dead set on not addressing the scenario.
Or alternatively: my friend lends me one, because I've never gone hunting before, and want to know if it's for me before I start spending hundreds to thousands of dollars on equipment.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Maybe I'm missing something here, but if a new gun back makes existing weapons illegal and they have to be turned in/destroyed/confiscated/bought-by-force/whatever despite being legally purchased, doesn't fall under retroactive laws, something you aren't supposed to do?
E_F, that is a brilliant illustration of exactly why the gun lobby in the US is not happy about this situation.
MKSheppard wrote:B.) Availability of guns in the hands of the general public does *seem* to have an effect on non homicide serious crimes -- how much is difficult to quantify -- for example, both states have similar rape rates (average of 23.1 per 100K in MD and 22.5 per 100K in VA) -- I have my theories on why the rape rates are so similar, but that would be a sidetrack.
That's easy to explain. Gun carry rates not affecting the rape rate could be explained by any combination of the hypotheses below:
-Most rape victims are from demographics that are statistically unlikely to own or carry firearms (all else being equal, how often do college age women carry guns, compared to, say, forty year old men?)
-Most rapes are committed at times or in places where, even if the victim owns a gun, they probably aren't carrying it on their person (at home, at a party, etc.)
-Most rapes are committed by acquaintances, family members, or people the victim is dating. In other words, people the victim will be reluctant to pull a gun on, even if they happen to be carrying one.
-Many rapes are committed against victims with impaired judgment (drunks in particular) who may lack the determination, or the coordination, to take out a weapon even if they happen to be carrying one.
-Almost NO rapes involve a stranger randomly attacking an alert victim who expects trouble- the situation where arming the victim would be most likely to prevent the crime.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

MKSheppard wrote:To: Broomstick

Before we continue this conversation any further, question:

Were you born in, or did you spend significant amounts of time growing up in Massachusetts?
I have never in my life been to Massachusetts. What possible relevance could this have to the discussion?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

MKSheppard wrote:
Thanas wrote:I don't accept your reasoning that gun accicdents would still happen if there are no guns.
My reasoning is if there are no guns, then different types of accidents involving other devices will have an equally high probability of occurring to those people beyond the baseline random chances involved in life. It's pretty nilhilist, maybe, but so am I these days. :P

Does not compute. If you eliminate a major accident risk it just does not get replaced by a different risk group. If I stop drinking I don't suddenly start smoking.

A. ) Firearms homicides largely unaffected by gun laws in general OR ease of obtaining a concealed carry permit in the state. Probably because gun homicides are intensely concentrated in urban areas amongst a self-selected population that intensely murders amongst themselves.

B.) Availability of guns in the hands of the general public does *seem* to have an effect on non homicide serious crimes -- how much is difficult to quantify -- for example, both states have similar rape rates (average of 23.1 per 100K in MD and 22.5 per 100K in VA) -- I have my theories on why the rape rates are so similar, but that would be a sidetrack.
Sorry but that does not really answer the question - why does Stand your ground decrease gun crime or crime in general in your opinion? Stand your ground is a specific doctrine and does not deal with gun crime in general.
------------
------------
My LPs
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Simon_Jester wrote:
E_F, that is a brilliant illustration of exactly why the gun lobby in the US is not happy about this situation.
Is there actually a US law that stops retroactive/ex post facto laws being past? I vaguely recall something like that in the Constitution. If so, why isn't shit like this successfully challenged in court?

I can imagine turning up and saying "this is a retroactive law, according to US Code whatever, you can't do that" would be more effective than wrangling about 2nd Amendment rights.

EDIT: Never mind, found it:
Wikipedia wrote:Ex post facto laws are expressly forbidden by the United States Constitution in Article 1, Section 9, Clause 3 (with respect to federal laws) and Article 1, Section 10 (with respect to state laws).
How do such bans requiring legally-purchased guns and/or magazines etc being confiscated/destroyed/bought-back not get shot down immediately based on this?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Thanas wrote:
Sorry but that does not really answer the question - why does Stand your ground decrease gun crime or crime in general in your opinion? Stand your ground is a specific doctrine and does not deal with gun crime in general.
In every single state with stand your ground laws, homicide rates have gone up.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:
Is there actually a US law that stops retroactive/ex post facto laws being past? I vaguely recall something like that in the Constitution. If so, why isn't shit like this successfully challenged in court?

I can imagine turning up and saying "this is a retroactive law, according to US Code whatever, you can't do that" would be more effective than wrangling about 2nd Amendment rights.

Wikipedia wrote:Ex post facto laws are expressly forbidden by the United States Constitution in Article 1, Section 9, Clause 3 (with respect to federal laws) and Article 1, Section 10 (with respect to state laws).
How do such bans requiring legally-purchased guns and/or magazines etc being confiscated/destroyed/bought-back not get shot down immediately based on this?
The problem is that in the US, when a state violates the relevant articles of the Constitution, the only way to stop them is to appeal to the state and federal courts, arguing that the law (or the executive action) is unconstitutional. That takes time.

So if a state is willing to violate the Constitution, it may be quite some time before they are stopped, and there's always SOME risk that the courts will uphold their action. For instance, Plessy v. Ferguson was a Supreme Court case in 1896 that upheld the practice of racial segregation in public facilities, arguing that it didn't violate the "equal protection" clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to have "separate but equal" facilities.

It was not until 1954 that a less meretricious court finally came around to agree with The Great Dissenter on the merits of Plessy v. Ferguson and ruled that 'separate' facilities are inherently 'unequal,' and reversed the verdict in the Brown v. Board case.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

General Zod wrote:
Thanas wrote:Sorry but that does not really answer the question - why does Stand your ground decrease gun crime or crime in general in your opinion? Stand your ground is a specific doctrine and does not deal with gun crime in general.
Homicide =/= gun crime. The default state of a homicide is to be a gun crime, sure, but it is incredibly important to distinguish between justifiable homicide and murder. If the homicide rate went up by 8% because more criminals are getting killed by their would-be victims, that is an entirely different scenario than if the homicide rate went up by 8% because more people are being murdered.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Grumman wrote:
General Zod wrote:
Thanas wrote:Sorry but that does not really answer the question - why does Stand your ground decrease gun crime or crime in general in your opinion? Stand your ground is a specific doctrine and does not deal with gun crime in general.
Homicide =/= gun crime. The default state of a homicide is to be a gun crime, sure, but it is incredibly important to distinguish between justifiable homicide and murder. If the homicide rate went up by 8% because more criminals are getting killed by their would-be victims, that is an entirely different scenario than if the homicide rate went up by 8% because more people are being murdered.
That's a very big "if". There's been at least a few cases where Stand Your Ground was used to try and cover up a rather blatant murder.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Darth Holbytlan
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Holbytlan »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:

Because a law that makes previously legal items illegal and requires them to be confiscated isn't an ex post facto law, or retroactive. It's just a change in law. You have something that used to be legal to own; now it isn't, so you have to get rid of it.

An example of an ex post facto law would be passing a law now that banned possessing all guns since 2010 (i.e. in the past) and trying to prosecute anyone who had a gun since then—even if they got rid of the gun before the law was passed. It's ex post facto because it was legal to have a gun when the person actually had it.