Is Donald Drumpf racist?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Is Donald Drumpf racist?

Post by Gandalf »

Whenever this comes up in N&P threads, it tends to cause a thread derailment, so I thought I would create a thread to discuss this.

Ever since John Oliver's bold attempt at relevance through his "Make Donald Drumpf Again" hashtag, it has become commonplace to make fun of Trump using the name Drumpf. Drumpf of course is the name his ancestors had when they migrated from Germany to the US, which was changed sometime prior to 1885. This name and its changing has nothing to do with Donald himself, but instead reflect a process of Anglicisation which is used to fold foreigners into an Anglocentric cultural context. As far as I can tell, it serves no purpose other than to make fun of someone because their grandparents had a funny sounding foreign name. So, is it racist to use Drumpf in such a way?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Is Donald Drumpf racist?

Post by Crazedwraith »

My understanding is that its not making fun of him for a funny name as such. It is emphasising his hypocrisy. If his policies on immigration were in force when his ancestors wanted to immigrate he wouldnt be running for president today.

Though whether thats the viewpoint of the people actually using the nickname I do not know.
Last edited by Crazedwraith on 2016-05-05 06:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

That's one thing I don't understand. Why is it hypocritical to say that policies that worked in the past don't also work today? The entire line of reasoning makes zero sense.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Purple wrote:That's one thing I don't understand. Why is it hypocritical to say that policies that worked in the past don't also work today? The entire line of reasoning makes zero sense.
Because times and people change. Also, the policies of the past aren't necessarily RIGHT. Frequently, in moral terms, they were worse than what we have now.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Purple wrote:That's one thing I don't understand. Why is it hypocritical to say that policies that worked in the past don't also work today? The entire line of reasoning makes zero sense.
That would depend on whether conditions have changed substanially and whether Trump was actually anti-immigration because of those reasons and not for irrational one like being a racist dick.

Eta: quote to make it cear who i was addressing
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Oliver explains his own reasoning behind it in these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnpO_RTSNmQ (skip to about 18 minutes in for Drumpf).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x056ioqqn8A

You can make up your own mind as to weather its racist, but at least listen to the reasoning behind it before reaching conclusions about the motives of those using it. Of course, other individuals may have their own reasons for adopting the moniker, but this is where it originated.

Essentially, the basis of his argument is that the name "Trump" is basically synonymous with the Trump brand of business success for a lot of people, and he's trying to undermine that. Although some of it is just him screwing around because, you know, he's a comedian.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Crazedwraith wrote:My understanding is that its not making fun of him for a funny name as such. It is emphasising his hypocrisy. If his policies on immigration were in force when his ancestors wanted to immigrate he wouldnt be running for president today.
That's stupid.

One, it is not hypocritical to disagree with your parents, or to disagree with ancestors who died before you were born. Not even if you are a beneficiary of your ancestor's actions: for an extreme example, a person who was a child of rape would never have been born if that crime had never been committed, but that doesn't make them a hypocrite if they're anti-rape.

Two, it is not hypocritical to be opposed to some immigrants and not others. If a would-be immigrant's first act is to hire a smuggler to help him deliberately violate America's laws, or if a would-be refugee holds beliefs that would make him one of the people refugees need refuge from*, that is a reasonable basis for refusing them residency even if you believe that immigration visas should be "shall-issue" rather than "may-issue".

*A significant minority of Muslims openly believe that apostates should be executed, ranging from ~2% in Turkey to ~65% in Egypt. If you're going to accept asylum seekers claiming to be from Syria, you at least need to weed out the ones who want to murder the other asylum seekers for being ex-Muslims.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Crazedwraith wrote:My understanding is that its not making fun of him for a funny name as such. It is emphasising his hypocrisy. If his policies on immigration were in force when his ancestors wanted to immigrate he wouldnt be running for president today.
How do you figure? Did they immigrate illegally?
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

No. Which is part of why John Oliver's meme never really took off outside of tumblr spamming it and the occasional subreddit.
Truth fears no trial.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I wouldn't go as far as claiming that it is racist, just that using it resembles some of the anti-German racist behaviour of the past and that I would not use it for that reason alone.

It doesn't go as far as "Washington Redskins" to me btu I do think it is in bad taste.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Oliver explains his own reasoning behind it in these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnpO_RTSNmQ (skip to about 18 minutes in for Drumpf).

You can make up your own mind as to whether it's racist, but at least listen to the reasoning behind it before reaching conclusions about the motives of those using it. Of course, other individuals may have their own reasons for adopting the moniker, but this is where it originated.

Essentially, the basis of his argument is that the name "Trump" is basically synonymous with the Trump brand of business success for a lot of people, and he's trying to undermine that. Although some of it is just him screwing around because, you know, he's a comedian.
Yeah, I saw the video when it came out. His whole point is "The Trump name has an association to the Trump business entity, and Drumpf sounds like a sound effect. He should be proud of his heritage!" Do you know why some people, despite being proud of their heritage, change their name? Because fuckwits think that their non-Anglicised names sound funny and as a result won't take them seriously/hire them/etc. I've had friends from various parts of the world who have had this problem.

I understand trying to comedically undermine Trump's branding, but I fail to see the purpose in invoking a name change that happened at least a hundred and thirty years ago. I thought Oliver (and others) would be beyond making fun of people's funny foreign names as a source of humour, though it leads me to wonder how Oliver feels about Jon Stewart not using his last name on air?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Tanasinn wrote:No. Which is part of why John Oliver's meme never really took off outside of tumblr spamming it and the occasional subreddit.
That's not what happened. Donald Trump was mocking Jon Stewart for angolizing his name. The whole Drumpf thing started as a response to Donald Trump's mocking and pointing out that Donald Trump's own family changed their name. Also, I think it is related to the fact that 'Drumpf' kind of looks like 'Dumb'

http://gawker.com/donald-trump-lashes-o ... -489657795
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -name.html
Last edited by ArmorPierce on 2016-05-05 09:04pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Gandalf wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Oliver explains his own reasoning behind it in these videos:

You can make up your own mind as to whether it's racist, but at least listen to the reasoning behind it before reaching conclusions about the motives of those using it. Of course, other individuals may have their own reasons for adopting the moniker, but this is where it originated.

Yeah, I saw the video when it came out. His whole point is "The Trump name has an association to the Trump business entity, and Drumpf sounds like a sound effect. He should be proud of his heritage!" Do you know why some people, despite being proud of their heritage, change their name? Because fuckwits think that their non-Anglicised names sound funny and as a result won't take them seriously/hire them/etc. I've had friends from various parts of the world who have had this problem.

I understand trying to comedically undermine Trump's branding, but I fail to see the purpose in invoking a name change that happened at least a hundred and thirty years ago. I thought Oliver (and others) would be beyond making fun of people's funny foreign names as a source of humour, though it leads me to wonder how Oliver feels about Jon Stewart not using his last name on air?
Yeah... read my response... they were responding to Donald Trump mocking Jon Stewart angolizing his name. The entire thing about should be proud of their heritage was a parody on the part of John Oliver and others.
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

The thing is, there's some dispute as to when the name changed: Wikipedia Link

Never mind the why of the change, which if you can't nail down the timeline I doubt you can speak to the reasons. Anyway, if it was back in the 17th century as some sources suggest, it's hardly hypocrisy on his part (not that it would have been with a 1885 change, for that matter). Surnames do change over the years, I'm sure a lot of people's family histories have examples. Regardless of the merits (or lack thereof) in his exchange with Jon Stewart, the two just aren't the same. TBH I'm not sure there's sufficient evidence his family ever did "Anglicize" the name, in the context of immigration to the US anyway. So there goes that reason.

Frankly I think the whole thing is stupid. But then, I always thought "Shrub" was equally idiotic. The people who used that back in the day were stupid then, the people using "Drumpf" today are stupid now. He's not fucking Voldemort, you can say his goddamn name.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I've said it before, it's Racist because it's born in the same tradition of all up and coming racial slurs, it's meant to imply "The other". Look up the fun history of the word Kike one of the one hundred and one racial slurs for Jews to find a brief history on how immigrants were signled out because of nothing more sinister than some illiterate Jewish immigrants signed there name with a circle instead of an X the "traditional" short hand for my signature when I can't read or write. But give something like than twenty years and shop keepers are putting up signs says No Kikes served here.

All racial slurs start in that bit of history, lets take a group of people and invent our own dismissive name for them which we will call them instead of their own names. The only thing different about Drumpf is that it started to refer to a person not a group... however I've already heard Drumpf used in the collective sense to refer to Trump and his supporters.

Which is why I say here, given it oh lets say four years of a Trump presidency before you start hearing Drumpfs as slur against those backing Trump now.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Mr Bean wrote:I've said it before, it's Racist because it's born in the same tradition of all up and coming racial slurs, it's meant to imply "The other".
Except that's not at all what it's meant to imply or how it has been used by anyone. As has been posted multiple times already in this thread and elsewhere, the name's main purpose is to point out Trump's hypocrisy when he criticized John Stewart for anglisizing his name, and it's secondary purpose is related to making fun of Trump's business/media brand. It's fine if you think it's stupid (it is), and it's fine if you think it's in bad taste, but claiming that it is on par with an actual racial slur is either deliberate trolling or deliberate ignorance.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Ziggy Stardust wrote: Except that's not at all what it's meant to imply or how it has been used by anyone. As has been posted multiple times already in this thread and elsewhere, the name's main purpose is to point out Trump's hypocrisy when he criticized John Stewart for anglisizing his name, and it's secondary purpose is related to making fun of Trump's business/media brand. It's fine if you think it's stupid (it is), and it's fine if you think it's in bad taste, but claiming that it is on par with an actual racial slur is either deliberate trolling or deliberate ignorance.
I believe you ignored the section were I explicit mentioned I've already heard Drumpf used as a collective term not as an individual term referring to Donald Trump. You would agree if it is used as such to refer to people other than just Donald Trump himself it becomes similar to the origin of other such terms in the past?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

ArmorPierce wrote:
Tanasinn wrote:No. Which is part of why John Oliver's meme never really took off outside of tumblr spamming it and the occasional subreddit.
That's not what happened. Donald Trump was mocking Jon Stewart for angolizing his name. The whole Drumpf thing started as a response to Donald Trump's mocking and pointing out that Donald Trump's own family changed their name. Also, I think it is related to the fact that 'Drumpf' kind of looks like 'Dumb'

I just settle with calling him "Il Douche." Then shaking my head when people don't get it.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Here I thought you were asking if HE was a racist.

The answer to that is "If not, he's doing a good job acting like one"
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

RogueIce wrote:The thing is, there's some dispute as to when the name changed: Wikipedia Link

Never mind the why of the change, which if you can't nail down the timeline I doubt you can speak to the reasons. Anyway, if it was back in the 17th century as some sources suggest, it's hardly hypocrisy on his part (not that it would have been with a 1885 change, for that matter). Surnames do change over the years, I'm sure a lot of people's family histories have examples. Regardless of the merits (or lack thereof) in his exchange with Jon Stewart, the two just aren't the same. TBH I'm not sure there's sufficient evidence his family ever did "Anglicize" the name, in the context of immigration to the US anyway. So there goes that reason.
Just speaking as a German, Trump is nothing but angliziced Trumpf (a trump card). It is easy to see Drumpf change to Trumpf somewhere.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

ArmorPierce wrote:That's not what happened. Donald Trump was mocking Jon Stewart for angolizing his name. The whole Drumpf thing started as a response to Donald Trump's mocking and pointing out that Donald Trump's own family changed their name. Also, I think it is related to the fact that 'Drumpf' kind of looks like 'Dumb'

So what you are saying is that in no uncertain terms you have empirical evidence to show that Trump started this and that thus anyone who responds by mocking his name is using his own tools and thus in absolutely no uncertain terms no better than Trump.

This just made my day. :mrgreen:
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Purple wrote:
ArmorPierce wrote:That's not what happened. Donald Trump was mocking Jon Stewart for angolizing his name. The whole Drumpf thing started as a response to Donald Trump's mocking and pointing out that Donald Trump's own family changed their name. Also, I think it is related to the fact that 'Drumpf' kind of looks like 'Dumb'

So what you are saying is that in no uncertain terms you have empirical evidence to show that Trump started this and that thus anyone who responds by mocking his name is using his own tools and thus in absolutely no uncertain terms no better than Trump.

This just made my day. :mrgreen:
Actually no, that's not at all what I'm saying, but thank you for putting words in my mouth. People who are mocking his name are not actually mocking his name. They are mocking him for being a hypocrite and a dumb ass.

Your comment is effectively the same argument that bigots use against people camping them a bigot. "I'm not a bigot, you're the real bigot for being bigoted against me! " congratulations :roll:

It appears that some in this thread lack the background or critical thinking skills to arrive at that realization. I recommend folks withhold comments until they have all the facts.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

All I am saying is that if you dislike someone because he acts a certain way and than you show your dislike of him by acting in that exact same way this tells something about you as a person.

Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Purple wrote:All I am saying is that if you dislike someone because he acts a certain way and than you show your dislike of him by acting in that exact same way this tells something about you as a person.
Except for the fact that John Oliver is a comedian rather than a presidential candidate. He doesn't have to be dignified.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Adam Reynolds wrote:
Purple wrote:All I am saying is that if you dislike someone because he acts a certain way and than you show your dislike of him by acting in that exact same way this tells something about you as a person.
Except for the fact that John Oliver is a comedian rather than a presidential candidate. He doesn't have to be dignified.
What does that matter? If you do the same thing you criticize other people for doing than you are no better than they are. Simple as that. Comedy does not absolve one of the responsibility of being held to ones own standards.