The 2016 US Election (Part II)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: The 2016 US Election (Part II)

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Bernie's about to speak. I expect he'll be gracious, but I doubt that he will drop out at once. However, hopefully he'll begin to focus on unity and winding things down.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Bernie's about to speak. I expect he'll be gracious, but I doubt that he will drop out at once. However, hopefully he'll begin to focus on unity and winding things down.
Nope, he's vowing to fight until Philadelphia.

Also, he mentions his call congratulating Clinton. The crowd boos the mention of her name. Sanders does nothing to even try and stop it.

Stay classy, Sanders campaign.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

That is a lie.

He repeatedly held up his hands in an obvious gesture for the crowd to stop when they booed.

I see that you're going for "ungracious winner". I hope not too many Clinton supporters go down that path.

I would have preferred a less defiant speech from Sanders, and I think that to suggest (barring an indictment, anyway) that he could or should still win the nomination is wrong.

But I appreciate that he refrained from attacking Clinton (and even tried to stop the crowd from booing her) and went after Trump. And I think that when he talks about continuing, he's not just talking about trying to win the nomination, but about what comes after that- fighting for the platform at the convention, and defeating the Republicans. And I understand that he has to keep his peoples' moral up.

I just wish their hadn't been Bernie or Bust chanting from the crowd. Idiots.

What impressed me most, though, was how happy Sanders looked when he walked out on stage. He didn't look angry or bitter or defeated, as you might expect under the circumstances. He must know he has no remotely realistic chance of being the nominee, but it doesn't seem to have dampened his spirits.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

First elected official to leave the Republican Party because of Dickless Donald:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016 ... arty-trump
The Iowa state senator David Johnson became the first elected official to leave the Republican party over Donald Trump on Tuesday, likening the presumptive nominee’s campaign to the rise of Adolf Hitler.

Johnson announced that he was changing his registration to No Party after Trump levelled accusations of bias at Judge Gonzalo Curiel, an American judge of Mexican heritage who allowed the release of some unflattering documents from a case against Trump University.

“I haven’t supported Mr Trump at any point along the way but what I am calling his racist remarks and judicial jihad is the last straw,” Johnson told the Guardian.

Johnson compared Trump’s run for the Republican nomination to the rise of Hitler and said Trump won “by reducing his campaign to reality TV and large crowds and divisive language and all the trappings of a good show for those who like that kind of approach, and that’s what happened in the 1930s in Germany”.

He added: “I think that’s all I need to say, but certainly the fascists took control of Germany under the same types of strategies.”

Johnson also condemned Trump’s proposed ban on Muslims entering the US. Referencing his own father, who was in the first American unit to liberate a Nazi prison camp, Johnson said: “I was raised without hearing any racial slur, any racial epithet. It’s something that if we’re going to exclude Muslims from traveling to the United States, who’s next? Are we going to come down on Jews? ... He’s not fit to be president.”

Johnson also expressed his concern that there was “definitely an innate bigotry” among a large share of Trump voters. “It really hurts for me to say that, but it’s true,” he said.

The former Republican was still hopeful that the GOP would “dump Trump” at the convention in Cleveland.

“I want to be among those in the party who are willing to live up to Republican principles,” Johnson said.

He also echoed other anti-Trump Republicans in their frustration with the choices presented in the election. “With Mr Trump and Secretary Clinton, is this really the best the country can do?” Johnson asked. “Is this where we are at, and what does that say about where we are as a people and where we are as a republic, not even 250 years from our founding?”

Advertisement

Johnson also condemned his former fellow Republicans such as Paul Ryan, who, he said, were willing to denounce Trump’s comments as racist, but who would still vote for him.

“That’s insanity,” Johnson said. “I don’t know how else you put it. I don’t understand what people don’t see happening here.”

Johnson, who has served 18 years in the state legislature, was first elected to the state senate in 2002 after two terms in the state house.

He first supported Rick Perry and then Carly Fiorina in this year’s Iowa caucuses, and expressed comfort with his decision to leave his party.

Johnson said he didn’t know how his constituents were going to react to his decision, but he said he thought he had a responsibility to them to show “leadership and statesmanship” and “take that first big step”.

“I am taking a stand and feel good about it,” he said.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

The Romulan Republic wrote:That is a lie.

He repeatedly held up his hands in an obvious gesture for the crowd to stop when they booed.

I see that you're going for "ungracious winner". I hope not too many Clinton supporters go down that path.
He half-assedly kind of held up both arms for like half a second, then let them keep on booing for a solid seven seconds before another half-assed single arm raise, then let them continue until he finally held up his hand again and started talking, which got them to stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R004geOm0L8

I invite people to skip to around 2:36:00 and watch for themselves. I mean fine, I guess you can say that he tried, technically, but it wasn't much effort. And then he just goes on like nothing and that's the part where he gets all "we'll keep fighting" and "the struggle continues" anyway. And then acts like winning North Dakota and Montana was in any way relevant to the electoral math.

It's kind of sad at this point. He lost. Accept it. Just concede already. You can keep saying "every vote counts" but seriously, 20 delegates isn't going to change jack and shit, even if he took DC 100%.

EDIT: Also it's funny how everyone acts like people who don't like Sanders must be "Clinton supporters" by default.
Last edited by RogueIce on 2016-06-08 02:51am, edited 1 time in total.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

He could have, and probably should have, done more to call out the crowd, but its wrong to say he did nothing. I'm glad that you concede that point.

And I don't think he was saying that North Dakota and Montana would make him the nominee.

And the point, for me at least, of him staying through DC is not that it will make him the nominee either. Its that like he says, every vote should matter. And what does it cost for him to stay in one more week to make that statement and keep his word?

Now staying in until the convention- yeah, unless Clinton suddenly finds herself facing indictment (and maybe even then), that's a mistake.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Can we can it on the Clinton ndictment wishing? In fact, can we officially, on this forum, put a fork in Bernie the bratwurst and move on to join the rest of the goddamned political world and not pay heed to one single members fevered delusions?
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

RogueIce wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:That is a lie.

He half-assedly kind of held up both arms for like half a second, then let them keep on booing for a solid seven seconds before another half-assed single arm raise, then let them continue until he finally held up his hand again and started talking, which got them to stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R004geOm0L8

I invite people to skip to around 2:36:00 and watch for themselves. I mean fine, I guess you can say that he tried, technically, but it wasn't much effort. And then he just goes on like nothing and that's the part where he gets all "we'll keep fighting" and "the struggle continues" anyway. And then acts like winning North Dakota and Montana was in any way relevant to the electoral math.

It's kind of sad at this point. He lost. Accept it. Just concede already. You can keep saying "every vote counts" but seriously, 20 delegates isn't going to change jack and shit, even if he took DC 100%.

EDIT: Also it's funny how everyone acts like people who don't like Sanders must be "Clinton supporters" by default.
Lie! THAT IS ALIE!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :banghead: :banghead:
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

The Romulan Republic wrote:He could have, and probably should have, done more to call out the crowd, but its wrong to say he did nothing. I'm glad that you concede that point.

And I don't think he was saying that North Dakota and Montana would make him the nominee.

And the point, for me at least, of him staying through DC is not that it will make him the nominee either. Its that like he says, every vote should matter. And what does it cost for him to stay in one more week to make that statement and keep his word?

Now staying in until the convention- yeah, unless Clinton suddenly finds herself facing indictment (and maybe even then), that's a mistake.
Every vote doesn't matter and never has you turd in the punch bowl. You know how much DC votes count now? NOTHING. He lost, get over it, go fap over the possibility of a Clinton indictment and fuck off this thread.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Flagg wrote:
Dalton wrote:How about we cut the shit and get back to substantive discussion.
I'd love to, but it's hard to when one one side is denying reality. So I'll happily discuss Clinton v Trump, but I will not engage in fantasy and further discuss Sanders, because whether he or his supporters care to acknowledge it, everyone else has: he lost the primary, time to move on. But I won't mock them anymore, I'll just try and engage in discussion around them.
Sanders will remain a relevant factor in the election regardless of tonight's outcome. He still wields substantial influence and has numerous supporters who Clinton needs. His main relevance now, however, is likely to be as a voice for progressive principles at the convention, and as a prominent ally of Hillary Clinton, should Clinton be wise enough to embrace him as such. But refusing to discuss him under any circumstances comes across as just a petty attempt to marginalize him.

And it is simply a fact that super delegates did not, and do not, count yet, and at the time I posted it, Clinton had not won a majority of pledged delegates and Sanders still had a significant, if small, chance of doing so in theory. I am not sure when facts became delusions here, but I'd guess it was around the time that the mainstream decided to dismiss Sanders.

I will also note that, while not all of the votes are counted, it appears that Clinton may surpass even the most optimistic recent polling that I saw for California. The margin is wide enough that I doubt Sanders would have won regardless, but I do believe that yesterday's grand lie had an effect on turnout.

However, be that as it may, it appears that as of tonight, Clinton has indeed won a majority of pledged delegates, so it is now reasonable to say that Hillary Clinton is the presumptive nominee. I do support Bernie remaining in, as per his position on giving everyone a chance to have their vote counted, through June 14th., but I hope that he will concede gracefully at that point and focus on unity against Trump and the Republicans.

And I am certainly glad that we are on track to have, for the first time, a female nominee of a major party. If one good thing comes out of this election, it will be the further erosion of the historical barriers to being a viable candidate.

Now its time to focus on beating Dickless. :D
His only relevance is on wether he'll be gracious enough or an asshole. He's chosen asshole. And I find it insulting that you're insulting Donald Trump by calling it "dickless" when the future Democratic nominee, is, by default, dickless. Let's not insult "people" based on genitals?
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

*Edit dang Flagg stole my line, oh well, posts stands for histories sake

Now that it's all over sans the inevitable FBI charges for Clinton can we take a minute to reflect that now that for all intents and purposes it's Trump VS Clinton when The Romulan Republic says...
The Romulan Republic wrote: Now its time to focus on beating Dickless.
For the first time in history it's unknown if The Romulan Republic is being a woman hating misogynist who hates Clinton, or someone who hates Trump and is really bad coming up with insults considering the wealth of material that Trump offers?

Word choice is interesting eh RR?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Mr Bean wrote:*Edit dang Flagg stole my line, oh well, posts stands for histories sake

Now that it's all over sans the inevitable FBI charges for Clinton can we take a minute to reflect that now that for all intents and purposes it's Trump VS Clinton when The Romulan Republic says...
The Romulan Republic wrote: Now its time to focus on beating Dickless.
For the first time in history it's unknown if The Romulan Republic is being a woman hating misogynist who hates Clinton, or someone who hates Trump and is really bad coming up with insults considering the wealth of material that Trump offers?

Word choice is interesting eh RR?
Well his first choice of refututation is "Lie!", so I'd be gracious enough to chalk it up to lack of imagination, tact, and awareness.

I mean we have Donnie Douchebag (which could also be chalked up to misogyny though I know there is a debate about whether the process of douching on a regular basis is healthy) so while it's my personal favorite, I can't condone it.

Donnie Diaperhead, which while apt may insult turban wearers despite it just being calling Trump a shithead.

Donald Rump, which is too light.

Damned Donnie Dingleberry is good.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Flagg wrote: Well his first choice of refututation is "Lie!", so I'd be gracious enough to chalk it up to lack of imagination, tact, and awareness. I mean we have Donnie Douchebag (which could also be chalked up to misogyny though I know there is a debate about whether the process of douching on a regular basis is healthy). Donnie Diaperhead, which while apt may insult turban wearers despite it just being calling Trump a shithead. Donald Rump, which is too light. Damned Donnie Dingleberry is good.
The funny thing is Donald offers such varied insults himself when he puts everyone else down, the closest thing to rattle him was the small hand thing Rubio borrowed from Spy Magazine except that's also a comment on his penis size which gets us right back into questioning his manhood when he's up against someone who will always lose in dick measuring contests considering her lack is questionable to say the least.

I prefer the more classic lines like "Donald Trump is Six feet of shit spray painted orange in a expensive suit" but that takes to long.
Best take a lesson from Trump himself, insults should be short, memorable and unique to the person your insulting.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Mr Bean wrote: I prefer the more classic lines like "Donald Trump is Six feet of shit spray painted orange in a expensive suit" but that takes to long.
Nice!

You can abbreviate it into a semi-pronouncable word - Dtisfosspoies, anyone? :P
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

So what would the odds be of Sanders being Clinton's VP running mate? That would all but guarantee a Democratic victory in November.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Borgholio wrote:So what would the odds be of Sanders being Clinton's VP running mate? That would all but guarantee a Democratic victory in November.
Doubtful, there is a lot of bad blood there at the moment and neither seem the type of person to let it go quickly.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Borgholio wrote:So what would the odds be of Sanders being Clinton's VP running mate? That would all but guarantee a Democratic victory in November.
0. He's shown that he's uncontrollable and wants to do his own thing. Plus the spectacle last night sealed it. They aren't going to spend 4 months campaigning with each other.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Flagg wrote:fuck off this thread.
You don't get to kick people out of threads, and I'm two seconds away from locking this thread. Again.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

perhaps the time has come for a "Part 3" to this saga and maybe a fresh start to the conversation?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:perhaps the time has come for a "Part 3" to this saga and maybe a fresh start to the conversation?
You know, 65 pages of shitposts and bile is probably enough.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.