2016 WINTER DEATHSTORMPOCALYPSE!!!

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Re: 2016 WINTER DEATHSTORMPOCALYPSE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Subway is coming back to relative normalcy. Frankly, I wish they didn't stop service on elevated lines entirely. They actually run trains to keep the track as clear as possible anyway. Seeing the map where only the underground portion run just goes to show how much the outer boroughs are fucked on these days, but the Manhattanites get to keep moving around.

One of my co-workers stayed at the job site for 32 hours which is pretty fucking crazy. Though apparently even if he was relieved and allowed to go home, the elevated line he needed was shut anyway.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

muse wrote:That's one way to have fun in a blizzard

That guy on the skis who ate shit on pavement at traffic speed is not going to be loving life the next day.

Also, best cop ever.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Soontir C'boath wrote:Subway is coming back to relative normalcy. Frankly, I wish they didn't stop service on elevated lines entirely. They actually run trains to keep the track as clear as possible anyway. Seeing the map where only the underground portion run just goes to show how much the outer boroughs are fucked on these days, but the Manhattanites get to keep moving around.

One of my co-workers stayed at the job site for 32 hours which is pretty fucking crazy. Though apparently even if he was relieved and allowed to go home, the elevated line he needed was shut anyway.
They probably don't want people getting stuck on the track and freezing to death.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Well... I managed to get out Monday evening, although it took help from neighbors pushing on the front end to get the car lined up and inside the ruts in the unplowed road. I was out for about 2hrs, it got dark, I come home.... and I can't get back into my parking spot. The car gets stuck in the middle of the sidestreet. Since it's dark and after 7pm, no neighbors are available to help, so I have to call a wrecker to get my poor car out of the road and into a parking spot.

Thankfully they didn't charge me when I explained "This is where I live, I just need her parked". They simply cleared away the snow that blocked my front tires and out from under my chassis, and then they pushed as I gunned the gas. After rocking back and forth for a bit, the tires finally got traction and I slid into a safe parking spot.

I just don't know if I'll be able to get out again until the snow melts another 4-5inches. It's supposed to rain, but if the snow's still deep by 8:20am I'm going nowhere.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Sorry... wrong thread for that comment. NM
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

General Zod wrote:They probably don't want people getting stuck on the track and freezing to death.
That or the risk of trains overshooting signals due to icing conditions.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Or other forms of train accidents due to ice on the rails.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

So I just got a message. Apparently my city is still mostly single lane. Whether we're working tomorrow is...

Throw a dart at a god damn board. o_O
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

At last, the city finally plowed the streets. Then the rain came, but it really didn't help. Now there's huge puddles everywhere because the storm drains are full of unmelted snow.

But, I can get my car in and out now, so I have to work in the morning. Yay paycheck
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Yep, you have to keep the storm drains uncovered. During our last major ice storm I went out to mainly keep the water flowing down the drain just out front of our property.

Glad things are improving.

Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Zod and Broomstick, as I said, they run trains anyway to keep the track clear. It is why when service was restored, trains were pretty much running on the elevated line without much hiccups. In the end, it stranded people who had no choice in heading into work.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."