Ga. Confederate flag supporters face terrorism charges

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Ga. Confederate flag supporters face terrorism charges

Post by Borgholio »

http://www.local8now.com/home/headlines ... lunteer_TV
(CBS) -- Individuals associated with a group of Confederate flag supporters in Douglas County, Ga., have been indicted on terrorism charges, it was announced on Monday.

The charges are related to a July 25 incident in which members of a group called Respect the Flag drove a convoy of vehicles displaying Confederate flags through a neighborhood in Douglasville, when they were involved in an altercation with residents outside a home where a children's birthday party was taking place.

According to a July 27 Atlanta Journal-Constitution report, those engaged in the confrontation offered conflicting accounts of what happened.

Residents said the demonstrators entered their neighborhood and started shouting racial slurs.

"One had a gun, saying he was gonna kill the n******," Melissa Alford, who was holding the birthday party, told the paper. "Then one of them said, 'Gimme the gun, I'll shoot them n******."

Levi Bush, one of the drivers, told the paper the convoy had been attacked by residents throwing rocks, and after he got a flat tire the residents swarmed his truck and threatened him.

Video of the altercation, during which police are seen separating the demonstrators from residents, was later posted online:

On Monday the Douglas County District Attorney's Office released a letter stating that following an investigation by local police and the D.A., a grand jury handed down indictments charging individuals from Respect the Flag with violations of the state's Street Gang Terrorism and Prevention Act and making terroristic threats.

There was no indication how many people were indicted, but George jail records show at least four people have already been arrested.

Two members of the group were also indicted on battery charges in a separate incident that took place that same day.
Well. This won't take long at all to be blamed on Obama for waging war on the noble and honorable flag of the Confederacy.

Now I need to wash my mouth out for saying that last part.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Re: Ga. Confederate flag supporters face terrorism charges

Post by Joun_Lord »

This was abhorrent as all fuck and the motherfuckers involved (if the allegation are true) need ballslapped with a jail sentence so long that if the sentences together went backwards they might be able to visit their beloved slave empire at the end of it but I fail to see how this is terrorism.

And I say "if the allegation are true" because in a case like this with the scum of the earth involved it would be too easy to automatically blame them. Their are two sides to this story and we are mostly only getting the side painting the Confeddie idiots in a bad light, well a worse light.

Despite being morons who worship a flag that stand for nothing more then slavery and racism and maybe states rights and freedom if you bend over backwards to justify it, I can't see them being dumb enough to start a fight like this. Going into a black neighborhood was dumb enough, going to start a fight seems too dumb. Maybe there is some truth in the "rocks and swarming" shit one of the drivers said.

Again, the Confederate morons were dumb to go into a black neighborhood but that wouldn't justify being attacked if they were.

I'm betting its a combination of both sides doing stupid shit.

Now all that said, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it was these racist flag waving retards did start the shit but I don't know for certain.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Joun_Lord wrote:This was abhorrent as all fuck and the motherfuckers involved (if the allegation are true) need ballslapped with a jail sentence so long that if the sentences together went backwards they might be able to visit their beloved slave empire at the end of it but I fail to see how this is terrorism.
Simple. They're non-state actors using violence and the threat thereof to achieve their political objectives. It's the very definition. Fuck 'em.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Interestingly, if the Confederates had weapons and a slaveholder's flag out, and really did say something like "I'm going to kill [the residents]," a clever lawyer could probably argue self-defense for any rock-throwing incidents and countersue for assault. Georgia's a Castle Law state, right? The residents, if I'm right, have no duty to retreat and only have to prove threat, fear, and non-provocation on their part.

More broadly, any time we can use the letter of the law to punish people for doing stupid, abhorrent things without undermining the protection of legitimate free speech, I'm in favor.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

I recall hearing of this in the news when it happened. The article at the time mentioned both that rocks were thrown, and that the RoF group brandished weapons while shouting threats and slurs at a six-year-old's birthday party. One of the trucks being "swarmed" I didn't hear of. That they intentionally planned to go through black neighborhoods armed and displaying the Confederate flag, yes though I believe they did get a valid parade permit from the city.

So yes, from what I know, and allowing for a certain hyperbole in the news, "both sides doing dumb things" is a most accurate description.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Replicant
Padawan Learner

Post by Replicant »

Sounds like rednecks being wannabe Klansmen and the people at the party reacted as opposed to doing the smart thing which would be to go inside, call the police, and let them handle it. Is that how you want to react when someone attempts to ruin your childs birthday party? No, but it is how you should act.

That being said I see no reason for the people at the house to be charged with anything.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

As far as I know, these are two separate incidents along the route. Nobody at the party made trouble, they just got the kids inside. Later, some teens or possibly adults pitched rocks at the trucks.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

And I'll bet they're the first douchebag assholes that get all riled up if the US is being criticized in any way, rightly or wrongly, and don't see any irony whatsoever. You know, the "love it or leave it" type. Probably because of the inbreeding, meth, and fetal alcohol syndrome.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw