Ukrainian battalion disbanded for extortion, torture, rape

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Ukrainian battalion disbanded for extortion, torture, rape

Post by fgalkin »

https://www.kyivpost.com/content/kyiv-p ... 91361.html
The commander and seven of his soldiers from the Interior Ministry’s Tornado volunteer battalion were arrested on June 17 in different cities amid what they allege is a conflict with their superior, Luhansk Oblast police chief Anatoly Naumenko, over smuggling.

Authorities accuse them of committing rape and torture, Deputy Prosecutor General Anatoly Matios said, adding that prosecutors had video footage of the alleged crimes.

The Luhansk-based Tornado servicemen, including their deputy commander Mykola Tsukur who wasn’t remanded in custody, accuse Naumenko of running a protection racket for smuggling cast iron from occupied territory and said that the arrest is linked to those accusations. The Tornado battalion is partially made up of former convicts from Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts.

Luhansk Oblast’s police department declined to comment when reached by phone. Andriy Demartino, a spokesman for the Prosecutor General’s Office, was not immediately available for comment by phone.

Battalion commander Ruslan Onyshchenko was detained in Dnipropetrovsk by Sokil, a rapid response unit of the police, while six Tornado soldiers were arrested in Luhansk Oblast by military prosecutors. An additional soldier was detained in Lviv by the State Security Service, Mykola Tsukur, a deputy commander of the battalion, and Serhiy Batyashov, a soldier of the battalion, told the Kyiv Post by phone.

“Some of them are charged with some severe crimes but they (authorities) don’t have any facts,” Batyashov said. “…This whole mess is because of trains with smuggled goods.”

Currently Onyshchenko is being held at a detention facility in Kharkiv, Tsukur said. He added that law enforcement agencies were planning to search the battalion’s base near Lysychansk.

Tsukur wrote on Facebook that authorities were preparing to storm the Tornado base and urged fighters of the Right Sector nationalist group to help them.

Batyashov attributed the arrests to Tornado fighters stopping what they say is a train transporting 20 railroad cars with smuggled cast iron worth Hr 17 million from the city of Alchevsk in territory occupied by Russian-backed separatists to Dnipropetrovsk Oblast on June 16.

The conflict between Tornado and Naumenko over smuggling flared up on May 29, when Tsukur alleged on the Shuster Live television show that Naumenko was running a joint smuggling business with Kremlin-backed separatists.

On the next day, Tsukur’s abandoned house in Perevalsk in separatist-controlled territory was burned.

He said later that Naumenko had ordered the battalion to withdraw to their base when they tried to block a train with what they said was smuggled coal in April.

Smugglers earn Hr 10 million in net profit from one coal train between the separatist-held city of Luhansk and the Ukrainian-controlled town of Shchastia, he claimed.
The rest of the unit then proceeded to barricade themselves at a school and are refusing to surrender (Source in Russian). They may or may not get stormed by the authorities.

Glory to the Heroes! Glory to Ukraine!

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Re: Ukrainian battalion disbanded for extortion, torture, ra

Post by K. A. Pital »

The story of Yugoslav wars repeats itself. Giving weapons to bandits who then refuse to give them back... How could this possibly be a problem? :lol:
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kane Starkiller »

Holy shit there are war profiteers and criminals on Ukrainian side? This completely eliminates any right of Ukraine for self determination and territorial integrity.
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Kane Starkiller wrote:Holy shit there are war profiteers and criminals on Ukrainian side? This completely eliminates any right of Ukraine for self determination and territorial integrity.
When a government literally frees and arms convicts, then unleashes them on a defenseless population, that is usually considered to be a war crime. And in this case, against their own citizens.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I assume the Seperatists will follow suit and arrest this joker, who is well known for mass-executions of surrendered Ukrainian soldiers? I mean, they do have the moral high ground, right? :roll:

Footage reviewed by Amnesty International shows Ukrainian soldier Ihor Branovytsky, one of the defenders of Donetsk airport, taken captive and interrogated. The video, posted on YouTube, shows signs that he was hit in the face. He remained in captivity until he was killed.

A number of individuals claim to have seen Ihor Branovytsky being shot and killed point-blank by a separatist commander. His body was returned to his family earlier this month and he was buried in Kyiv on 3 April. The Ukrainian security services have opened an investigation into his killing.

Amnesty International has also seen videos documenting the captivity, and pictures of the dead bodies, of at least three other members of the Ukrainian armed forces, reportedly being held in a morgue in Donetsk. There are signs of bullet wounds to their heads and upper parts of their bodies, apparently the result of execution-style killings. The soldiers had been captured by pro-Russian forces in Debaltseve between 12 and 18 February 2015 when the defending Ukrainian forces were encircled there.

The revelation follows a report by the Ukrainian newspaper Kyiv Post on 6 April featuring a phone interview, allegedly made by Arseniy Pavlov, better known by his nom-de-guerre “Motorola”. Pavlov, reportedly a Russian national and the leader of the pro-Russian armed group known as “Sparta Battalion” operating in eastern Ukraine, claimed he had “shot dead” 15 soldiers captured from the Ukrainian armed forces. He is alleged to have killed Ihor Branovytsky.

“This chilling ‘confession’ from a separatist fighter, alongside video evidence and testimony from witnesses, and the mounting evidence of abuses of captives by both sides, highlights the urgent need for an independent investigation into this and all other allegations of abuses in this conflict which began a year ago,” said Denis Krivosheev.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Kane Starkiller wrote:Holy shit there are war profiteers and criminals on Ukrainian side? This completely eliminates any right of Ukraine for self determination and territorial integrity.
No, it is just showing what sort of crazy shitholes post-Soviet nations are. :lol:
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

fgalkin wrote:When a government literally frees and arms convicts, then unleashes them on a defenseless population, that is usually considered to be a war crime. And in this case, against their own citizens.
What are you talking about? They weren't "unleashed". They were sent into combat against a heavily armed Russian supported troops and when they were caught committing crimes they were arrested.
Stas Bush wrote:No, it is just showing what sort of crazy shitholes post-Soviet nations are. :lol:
I don't see it. Crimes during wars are to be expected and no nation can escape it. Especially when you are in proxy war against a much larger country and your own army has suffered through decades of underfunding so you can't really afford to be picky. Involved parties should still be tried and prosecuted to the full extent of the law but it doesn't really change the overall situation regarding the aggressor and the victim.
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Thanas wrote:I assume the Seperatists will follow suit and arrest this joker, who is well known for mass-executions of surrendered Ukrainian soldiers? I mean, they do have the moral high ground, right? :roll:

Footage reviewed by Amnesty International shows Ukrainian soldier Ihor Branovytsky, one of the defenders of Donetsk airport, taken captive and interrogated. The video, posted on YouTube, shows signs that he was hit in the face. He remained in captivity until he was killed.

A number of individuals claim to have seen Ihor Branovytsky being shot and killed point-blank by a separatist commander. His body was returned to his family earlier this month and he was buried in Kyiv on 3 April. The Ukrainian security services have opened an investigation into his killing.

Amnesty International has also seen videos documenting the captivity, and pictures of the dead bodies, of at least three other members of the Ukrainian armed forces, reportedly being held in a morgue in Donetsk. There are signs of bullet wounds to their heads and upper parts of their bodies, apparently the result of execution-style killings. The soldiers had been captured by pro-Russian forces in Debaltseve between 12 and 18 February 2015 when the defending Ukrainian forces were encircled there.

The revelation follows a report by the Ukrainian newspaper Kyiv Post on 6 April featuring a phone interview, allegedly made by Arseniy Pavlov, better known by his nom-de-guerre “Motorola”. Pavlov, reportedly a Russian national and the leader of the pro-Russian armed group known as “Sparta Battalion” operating in eastern Ukraine, claimed he had “shot dead” 15 soldiers captured from the Ukrainian armed forces. He is alleged to have killed Ihor Branovytsky.

“This chilling ‘confession’ from a separatist fighter, alongside video evidence and testimony from witnesses, and the mounting evidence of abuses of captives by both sides, highlights the urgent need for an independent investigation into this and all other allegations of abuses in this conflict which began a year ago,” said Denis Krivosheev.
I thought the Donetsk rebels were all terrorists and criminals, but the Ukrainian government is a legitimately elected pro-Western liberal government? That's what the EU says, and to ensure it, Westerners occupy senior positions in the Ukrainian government.

What would happen if the German government armed prisoners, then unleashed them on, say, Bavaria?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Armed convicts are a bit outside the "picky" category and more like total war category. Is Ukraine in a state of total war? I thought it was not even on wartime footing, only an "antiterrorist operation".

Assalti Frontali
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

fgalkin wrote:I thought the Donetsk rebels were all terrorists and criminals, but the Ukrainian government is a legitimately elected pro-Western liberal government? That's what the EU says, and to ensure it, Westerners occupy senior positions in the Ukrainian government.
Even though the Donetsk rabble are terrorists and criminals - thank you for confirming it, btw - that does not absolve them from obeying the laws of war. That they instead support and honour somebody who openly boasted about killing unarmed prisoners shows that - unlike in the Ukraine - these crimes do not happen by accident, but by design.

Or you could climb down to reality and find out that both sides are guilty of infractions and trying to pretend as if only the Ukrainians are committing warcrimes is at best a very selective interpretation of the facts.
What would happen if the German government armed prisoners, then unleashed them on, say, Bavaria?
Bavaria would laugh and the SEK would arrest them all.
Then they would rot in Seehofer's sex dungeon.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

K. A. Pital wrote:Armed convicts are a bit outside the "picky" category and more like total war category. Is Ukraine in a state of total war?
What is happening then in your opinion?
I thought it was not even on wartime footing, only an "antiterrorist operation".
You must not have listened to the Ukrainian's PM latest speeches then.
------------
------------
My LPs
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Thanas wrote:
Or you could climb down to reality and find out that both sides are guilty of infractions and trying to pretend as if only the Ukrainians are committing warcrimes is at best a very selective interpretation of the facts.
Where did I say that, or accused only the Ukrainians of committing warcrimes? But while the crimes of the rebels are fairly well-reported in the Western media, the crimes of the government troops are almost unknown. You can consider me performing a public service to inform you all :D

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Kane Starkiller wrote:I don't see it. Crimes during wars are to be expected and no nation can escape it. Especially when you are in proxy war against a much larger country and your own army has suffered through decades of underfunding so you can't really afford to be picky. Involved parties should still be tried and prosecuted to the full extent of the law but it doesn't really change the overall situation regarding the aggressor and the victim.
Let's see what happens when one of these armed groups, some of which number in the hundreds, to thousand or so, armed with heavy weapons, start to do their own "thing" and then we see whether being picky should have been the right thing.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Thanas wrote:
K. A. Pital wrote:Armed convicts are a bit outside the "picky" category and more like total war category. Is Ukraine in a state of total war?
What is happening then in your opinion?
Another post-Soviet war among the dozen or so in my lifetime.
Thanas wrote:
I thought it was not even on wartime footing, only an "antiterrorist operation".
You must not have listened to the Ukrainian's PM latest speeches then.
The guy is now off my "watch" list, or even hear list, after the motherfucker said the USSR "invaded" Nazi Germany. He is a fucking neo-Nazi - his own words betrayed him - and should just fucking die, like all Neo-Nazis.

Assalti Frontali
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

K. A. Pital wrote:Armed convicts are a bit outside the "picky" category and more like total war category. Is Ukraine in a state of total war? I thought it was not even on wartime footing, only an "antiterrorist operation".
I wasn't even clear from the article were they still in prison when they were sent into combat or were they former convicts already. Not to mention it's not clear how many of them are there, hundreds thousands or a dozen. Not to mention that they were arrested upon committing crimes.
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Let's see what happens when one of these armed groups, some of which number in the hundreds, to thousand or so, armed with heavy weapons, start to do their own "thing" and then we see whether being picky should have been the right thing.
There are thousands convicts roaming around the battlefield?
K. A. Pital wrote:The guy is now off my "watch" list, or even hear list, after the motherfucker said the USSR "invaded" Nazi Germany. He is a fucking neo-Nazi - his own words betrayed him - and should just fucking die, like all Neo-Nazis.
Exactly. Lying about who invaded who 70 years ago means you should die. This way, when Ukrainian public sentiment predictably swings away from Russia and even into Nazi denial territory as a consequence of Russian aggression you can pretend to have moral high ground even as you equate Russia and Ukraine in the conflict.
Call me. -Batman
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Kane Starkiller wrote:I wasn't even clear from the article were they still in prison when they were sent into combat or were they former convicts already. Not to mention it's not clear how many of them are there, hundreds thousands or a dozen. Not to mention that they were arrested upon committing crimes.
According to Anatoly Matias, Ukraine's military prosecutor, 43 members of the "Tornado" unit have had previous convictions. And yet, somehow these men with criminal past were drafted, given weapons and a license to kill, rape and torture, and these crimes went on for quite a while:
http://zn.ua/UKRAINE/na-territorii-bazy ... 0010_.html
Kane Starkiller wrote:There are thousands convicts roaming around the battlefield?
In the words of Gennadi Moskal:
Moskal wrote:... I would not have written about this if the "hero" was alone (SB - the murderer from the "Tornado" unit who killed a couple to steal their car). However, there are more and more of them, and sometimes - whole companies, or even whole battalions.
http://gazeta.ua/ru/articles/politics/_ ... iki/632724
Kane Starkiller wrote:Exactly. Lying about who invaded who 70 years ago means you should die. This way, when Ukrainian public sentiment predictably swings away from Russia and even into Nazi denial territory as a consequence of Russian aggression you can pretend to have moral high ground even as you equate Russia and Ukraine in the conflict.
Fuck off, Kane.

These guys have worshipped Nazi collaborators like Bandera and Shukhevich for ages, worshipped people who are the worst fucking scum of the Earth, people who massacred the "lower races" while being a part of the lower races slated for destruction themselves. Sorry for my sympathymeter being so low. Maybe that's because I'm part of the fucking lower races the likes of them pledged to wipe out, did that thought cross your tiny mind?

I have zero sympathies for Russia, as I have been in the opposition to the current regime with the eventual goal of causing its destruction. But no matter how much I hate them, it doesn't mean I should now listen to some neo-Nazi clown who belonged to Ukraine's financial elite. Fuck him.

Assalti Frontali
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

K. A. Pital wrote:According to Anatoly Matias, Ukraine's military prosecutor, 43 members of the "Tornado" unit have had previous convictions. And yet, somehow these men with criminal past were drafted, given weapons and a license to kill, rape and torture, and these crimes went on for quite a while:
What previous convictions did they have? Were they all convicted of heavy crimes? Did all 43 became recidivists while in the military? They had a license to kill rape and torture? Really? Was it in writing?
K. A. Pital wrote:In the words of Gennadi Moskal:
Moskal wrote: ... I would not have written about this if the "hero" was alone (SB - the murderer from the "Tornado" unit who killed a couple to steal their car). However, there are more and more of them, and sometimes - whole companies, or even whole battalions.
So whole companies and battalions were involved in crime like the one from the example or whole battalions had a previous conviction of an unspecified severity?
K. A. Pital wrote:Fuck off, Kane.

These guys have worshipped Nazi collaborators like Bandera and Shukhevich for ages, worshipped people who are the worst fucking scum of the Earth, people who massacred the "lower races" while being a part of the lower races slated for destruction themselves. Sorry for my sympathymeter being so low. Maybe that's because I'm part of the fucking lower races the likes of them pledged to wipe out, did that thought cross your tiny mind?

I have zero sympathies for Russia, as I have been in the opposition to the current regime with the eventual goal of causing its destruction. But no matter how much I hate them, it doesn't mean I should now listen to some neo-Nazi clown who belonged to Ukraine's financial elite. Fuck him.
My my such melodrama. One would think you lived through it instead of being born half a century after the fact. Do you think Nazi-collaborator worshippers are the only people that disregard the victims of their favorite regime as they cherrypick what they see as positive (case in point: struggle for Ukrainian independence)?
Of course you behave just as I predicted: everyone deserves to die, everyone is evil, no one deserves your sympathy and therefore you just can't bring yourself to state clearly with any obfuscation and meandering that Russia is simply an aggressor state and Ukraine is the victim. You didn't have problems doing that when US invaded Saddam's Iraq which was lightyears ahead of Ukraine in atrocities but now it's just all evil, evil everywhere.
Call me. -Batman
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Kane Starkiller wrote:So whole companies and battalions were involved in crime like the one from the example or whole battalions had a previous conviction of an unspecified severity?
Like the one in the example.
Kane Starkiller wrote:One would think you lived through it instead of being born half a century after the fact.
I wouldn't have even been born had they won. Good grounds enough to hate them into eternity.
Kane Starkiller wrote:Do you think Nazi-collaborator worshippers are the only people...
I think they do not deserve my attention.
Kane Starkiller wrote:Of course you behave just as I predicted: everyone deserves to die, everyone is evil, no one deserves your sympathy and therefore you just can't bring yourself to state clearly with any obfuscation and meandering that Russia is simply an aggressor state and Ukraine is the victim.
I have no problem admitting Ukraine is the victim and that Russia's revanchist attempts to recreate a sphere of influence constitute covert aggression - or aggressive intervention - against Ukraine. That doesn't mean I give two shits over what happens to Ukraine's nationalists and neo-nazis in particular, as well as their oligarchs. In the fight between vlasovites and banderovites I just wish both sides the very worst.
Kane Starkiller wrote:You didn't have problems doing that when US invaded Saddam's Iraq which was lightyears ahead of Ukraine in atrocities but now it's just all evil, evil everywhere.
Did Saddam mention people who said the likes of myself had to be exterminated in a positive context? Not sure about that. He deserved to die, sure enough. I already said to Channel72 that the problem was not having Saddam dead (indeed, the world would've been better if Saudi kings were killed in the same fashion, they well deserved it); the problem was what came after him. I'm actually in touch with some refugees from the warzone in Ukraine, whom I helped as I could (indeed, I've found sympathy for citizens of Napoleonic Central Europe who were invaded by Russia ages ago in a nearby thread - that should tell you something).

However, this sympathy does not extend to any type of nationalist and fascist scum, especially ones that trace lineage from Nazi servants. They can fuck themselved with tank barrels. That would be all. Such people deserve neither my sympathies nor my attention.

Assalti Frontali