North Korean internet knocked offline

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

North Korean internet knocked offline

Post by Borgholio »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2014 ... /20766995/
North Korea has been knocked offline, news reports say.

The outages to the secretive nation's four official Internet networks began Sunday and as of Monday all were totally offline, Bloombergreported.

North Korea's Internet access is routed through China. However, who is behind the outages is unknown.

On Friday, President Obama said he would "respond proportionately" to the cyberattack on Sony Pictures Entertainment, which the FBI confirmed was launched by North Korea.

However he was very clear Sunday that the hacking was not an act of war. Speaking on CNN's State of the Union, he said "I think it was an act of cyber vandalism that was very costly, very expensive. We take it very seriously. We will respond proportionately."

On Sunday North Korea's National Defense Commission threatened military strikes against the United States, "the ill-famed cesspool of injustice" in its words, in response to the accusation that it was behind the hack attack.

In a statement, it said, "The army and people of the DPRK (Democratic People's Republic of Korea) are fully ready to stand in confrontation with the U.S. in all war spaces including cyber warfare space to blow up those citadels.

North Korea has consistently denied involvement in the attack, which included threats made to theaters and moviegoers who went to see the the Sony film The Interview, a CIA spoof centered around a plot to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

Sony pulled the movie last week, but Sony lawyers said on Sunday that it would be released, perhaps as a free streaming movie.

Well...I'd say that's an appropriate response.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
UnderAGreySky
Jedi Knight

Re: North Korean internet knocked offline

Post by UnderAGreySky »

Someone unplugged the cable?
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I was amazed that North Korea even has an internet. From what I understand, the idea that a citizen there would have access to any information that has not been steamrolled sixteen times by their government censorship and propaganda machine, is unthinkable and a crime.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Zixinus wrote:I was amazed that North Korea even has an internet. From what I understand, the idea that a citizen there would have access to any information that has not been steamrolled sixteen times by their government censorship and propaganda machine, is unthinkable and a crime.
Kim Jong Un likes his NBA updates. It's safe to say that any sort of actual internet access is reserved for the ruling elites.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

General Zod wrote:Kim Jong Un likes his NBA updates. It's safe to say that any sort of actual internet access is reserved for the ruling elites.
Actually, Internet in NK is mostly reserved for foreigners. Both Chinese businessmen and Western tourists. NK itself uses domestic intranet network, largely unconnected to the global net. So, attack on NK part of Internet is kind of stupid and counter-productive. Like bombing your own embassy in enemy capital.
Borgholio wrote:Well...I'd say that's an appropriate response.
Care to say how?

Not only it would be excessive escalation of what is not even conflict (if done by USA, not some third party), it would be also idiotic as USA is the country with most to lose if djinn of indiscriminate large scale cyber-attacks escapes the bottle instead of being condemned and its perpetrators punished, like real life warfare. But hey, it wouldn't be first time USA liberally and unilaterally slaps others with far greater force than they condemn and bomb other countries for, so at least they are consistent.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Care to say how?
North Korea state-sponsored hackers terrorize American businesses, so terminate the internet to the country so they're rendered helpless. Quick and easy.
Not only it would be excessive escalation of what is not even conflict (if done by USA, not some third party), it would be also idiotic as USA is the country with most to lose if djinn of indiscriminate large scale cyber-attacks escapes the bottle instead of being condemned and its perpetrators punished, like real life warfare. But hey, it wouldn't be first time USA liberally and unilaterally slaps others with far greater force than they condemn and bomb other countries for, so at least they are consistent.
How else would you prevent a hostile nation from engaging in state-sponsored cyber attacks? Do you seriously think that non-violently knocking them offline to keep them from engaging in more attacks is somehow even comparable to lobbing dozens of cruise missiles to take out their infrastructure and kill people? What would you preferred we do? Just wag our finger at them?
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

If Internet is *that* restricted in North Korea, and a hack of a major media company still originated there... it's probably safe to say it was government sanctioned, not just a bunch of script-kiddies sitting in a basement eating Nork Funyuns and swilling Korean Mountain Dew while their parents read the paper upstairs.

EDIT: Hit 'submit' too fast.

In circumstances like this it's quite possible that the US might have quietly asked someone (Japan? South Korea? China? Where does their cable run from, anyway?) to shut it off for a bit and see what happens, see what data they can gather from the Norks' reaction. If the Norks just bluster like normal, they probably won't try that again... but if they start ramping up for war, things get interesting... and anywhere in between those two options.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

It's possible China unplugged the cable - it wouldn't be the first time they tried to rein in their "ally". China might not be friends with the US, but they don't really want to start shit with another major power at this point in time either.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Elheru Aran wrote: In circumstances like this it's quite possible that the US might have quietly asked someone (Japan? South Korea? China? Where does their cable run from, anyway?)
Per the article:
North Korea's Internet access is routed through China.
China is one of NK's biggest economic allies, so it makes sense to suspect they had a hand in this.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Didn't China stop shipments of gas or oil at one time to NK with the official reason being the "pipes needed to be repaired/undergo maintenance". I guess its plausible they also did the same to the internet if its routed through them.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

I don't think there was any unplugging--it looks like North Korea's internet infrastructure was DDoS'ed. I'll see if I can find the article that said that.

EDIT:

Yeah, here we go:
SAN FRANCISCO — A strange thing happened to North Korea’s already tenuous link to the Internet on Monday: It failed.

While perhaps a coincidence, the failure of the country’s computer connections began only hours after President Obama declared Friday that the United States would launch a “proportional response” to what he termed an act of “cybervandalism” against Sony Pictures.

Over the weekend, as North Korean officials demanded a “joint investigation” into the Sony attacks and denied culpability — an assertion the United States rejected — Internet service began to get wobbly. By early Monday, the Internet went as dark as one of those satellite photographs showing the impoverished country by night.

Experts who monitor the health of the global Internet called it one of the worst North Korean network failures in years. But American officials who had described over the weekend how they were intensely focused on the country’s telecommunications connections through China — and how they had asked the Chinese government for help in cutting off the North’s ability to send malicious code around the world — declined to discuss what befell those connections.

“I guess accidents can happen,” one said in a very brief telephone conversation.

A State Department spokeswoman, Marie Harf, told reporters on Monday, “We aren’t going to discuss, you know, publicly operational details about the possible response options,” adding that “as we implement our responses, some will be seen, some may not be seen.”

There was no definitive way, at least in the short term, to determine whether the connection had been cut, overloaded, or attacked. And security experts cautioned that there could be many reasons for Monday’s failure. North Korea could be pre-emptively taking its systems offline to prepare for an attack, some said.

Chris Nicholson, a spokesman for Akamai, an Internet content delivery company, said it was difficult to pinpoint the origin of the failure, given that the company typically sees only a trickle of Internet connectivity from North Korea. The country has only 1,024 official Internet protocol addresses, though the actual number may be a little higher. That is fewer than many city blocks in New York have. The United States, by comparison, has billions of addresses.

But when the sun rose in North Korea on Tuesday morning, the few connections to the outside world — available only to the elite, the military, and North Korea’s prodigious propaganda machine — were still out.

As the morning wore on, however, some of the connections began to come back after a blackout of nearly 10 hours, though there was still very little traffic, according to CloudFlare, an Internet company in San Francisco.

Those connections to the outside world are managed by Star Joint Ventures, the country’s state-run Internet provider, and almost all of them run through China Unicom, China’s state-owned telecommunications company. They were not operative on Monday, but the causes could include a cyberattack by the United States — something American officials have said they would be hesitant to do if it meant infringing on Chinese sovereignty.

It is also possible China Unicom simply unplugged its neighbor. Internet monitors said a maintenance issue was unlikely to have caused such a prolonged failure.

Doug Madory, the director of Internet analysis at Dyn Research, an Internet performance management company, said that North Korean Internet access first became unstable late on Friday. The situation worsened over the weekend, and by Monday, North Korea’s Internet was completely offline.

“Their networks are under duress,” Mr. Madory said. “This is consistent with a DDoS attack on their routers,” he said, referring to a distributed denial of service attack, in which attackers flood a network with traffic until it collapses under the load.If the attack was American in origin — something the United States would probably never acknowledge — it would be a rare attack on another nation’s Internet connections.

Certainly the United States is positioned to cause failures in many places in the Internet: Among the most interesting documents released by Edward J. Snowden, the former National Security Agency contractor now in Moscow, was a map of “implants” that the United States has put in strategic places, from network connections to individual computers, around the world.

Those are most useful in cyberespionage, and the United States does a lot of that in China. Other Snowden documents showed that a major Chinese maker of network switching equipment, Huawei, was among American targets. So were leadership compounds and military locations.

But there is no evidence that American cyberactivities in China have moved from surveillance to what experts call “computer network exploitation” or, the next step, actual attacks. And the Chinese themselves have been coy.

China’s Foreign Ministry spokeswoman, Hua Chunying, said it was too early to know if Mr. Obama’s accusation against the North concerning the Sony attacks was true, Reuters reported Monday.

But she also said that China’s foreign minister, Wang Yi, “reaffirmed China’s relevant position, emphasizing China opposes all forms of cyberattacks and cyberterrorism” during a call on Sunday with Secretary of State John Kerry.

While rare, disruption of computers and networks is certainly part of the American offensive playbook. During the Iraq war, there were periodic efforts to send fake messages to cellphones or computers to lure militants into traps.

“Olympic Games,” the cyberattack on Iran’s nuclear enrichment facility, was an extremely sophisticated attack that destroyed centrifuges, the machines that enrich uranium. It was intended to slow Iran’s progress toward a nuclear weapons capability.

The United States has never acknowledged the attacks, and the central role played by Mr. Obama did not become clear until the summer of 2012, more than two years after the events.

But a denial-of-service attack is far easier to arrange on short notice than a destructive attack. And it may be more akin to the “cybervandalism” that Mr. Obama spoke of against Sony. It is temporary, and while it imposes some costs, it would be limited in the case of North Korea because of the scarce availability of Internet services in the country.

“Proportional would mean that we would hack a North Korean movie company,” said Victor Cha of Georgetown University, who handled North Korean issues in the George W. Bush White House. “But that would not get you very far.”

Mr. Obama spoke Friday, during an interview with CNN, of the possibility of restoring the North to the list of state sponsors of terrorism. That, too, would have limited impact: The country is already among the most isolated on earth.

But it is also not clear that cutting off Internet service, if that is what happened in this case, would slow North Korean hackers. Many are believed to be based in China. Sony’s attackers used servers in Bolivia, Singapore and Thailand to launch their attacks. So any cutoff of Internet services would be mostly symbolic, a warning shot that two can play the game of disruption.
So yeah, it could be one or the other. I'm leaning towards DDoS, though. There's no way North Korea has a sophisticated mitigation solution in place.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

personal theory.

news site announces NK is having a DDOS attack. A few million internet users try to go to a NK website to check this. DDOS supplied :)
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Now where is Dennis Rodman to proclaim to me that the internet is working just fine? Did the weekly Korean check bounce?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Thanas wrote:Now where is Dennis Rodman to proclaim to me that the internet is working just fine? Did the weekly Korean check bounce?
Can't send payments through Bitcoin without internet access. :-P
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

O no, now how will the fat slobs in charge of Best Korea get their illegal downloads of Worst Korea's soap operas? The tragedy!
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

It could of been legion or anonymous cause they were pissed the north Koreans managed something they failed at, or cause the "next great Seth Rogen comedy" was pulled from a cinema release and could possibly be streamed for free, stopping them from cornering a market.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Reportedly they were DDOSed.
North Korea's negligible Internet connectivity appears to have faltered. First spotted by Internet performance management firm Dyn Research, North Korean routers have been inaccessible, and its scant IP allocation—just 1024 addresses—appears to be offline.

Arbor Networks reports that North Korean systems have been sporadically under attack for several weeks, and that a sustained attack started earlier today. The attacks appear to be a mix of Network Time Protocol (NTP) and Simple Service Discovery Protocol (SSDP) amplification attacks, that allow attackers even with modest resources to generate large floods of traffic.

Arbor's analysis suggests that the volume of traffic itself is not considerable; it peaked at just shy of 6Gbps on 20th December. That such a trickle of traffic is able to knock North Korea offline is testament to the country's virtually non-existent infrastructure. All of North Korea's Internet traffic passes through a peering connection with China Unicom; it's not known what the bandwidth of the connection is, but it's almost certainly less than 10Gbps. And almost all of the network within North Korea is restricted to the capital city, Pyongyang.

The big question, of course, is who's responsible. With North Korea an easy victim to take down, the list is long. Anonymous has voiced its collective discontent at North Korea over the withdrawal of the film The Interview and promised retaliation. Lizard Squad, a group that also claims to be responsible for much larger denial of service attacks against Xbox Live and others, also claims responsibility.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

General Zod wrote:
Zixinus wrote:I was amazed that North Korea even has an internet. From what I understand, the idea that a citizen there would have access to any information that has not been steamrolled sixteen times by their government censorship and propaganda machine, is unthinkable and a crime.
Kim Jong Un likes his NBA updates. It's safe to say that any sort of actual internet access is reserved for the ruling elites.
Actually no: there is some (limited) internet access in universities in Pyongyang now. But considering Pyongyang is populated by the DPRK elite, or at least 'wealthy' specialists, you could guess that the ordinary towns don't have it. Special trade zones with China and South Korea are getting some mobile internet access schemes, too. DPRK has changed a lot in the last decade. It is more like a version of Myanmar now. Well, between DPRK and Myanmar I am not entirely sure who's poorer, actually.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali