Companies surrender to terrorists over The Interview.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Companies surrender to terrorists over The Interview.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/fil ... e22118962/
Sony Pictures Entertainment has scrapped the theatrical release of The Interview, the Seth Rogen-James Franco comedy at the centre of a global geopolitical storm, after North America’s major movie theatres declared they wouldn’t play the movie in the wake of a message threatening potential terror attacks.

MORE RELATED TO THIS STORY

Now Trending: Sony warns media not to publish hacked information
Sony Pictures hack serves as a stark warning for corporate cybersecurity
Now Trending: Leaked Sony e-mails include ‘jokes’ on Obama and race
Hackers demand cancellation of Sony release of "The Interview", described as a comedy depicting a plot to assassinated North Korea's leader. Paul Chapman reports
WATCH
Video: Sony hackers urge halt to movie release
A lawyer representing Sony Pictures Entertainment warns news organizations not to publish details of company files leaked by hackers in one of the largest digital breaches ever against an American company. (Dec. 16)
WATCH
Video: Sony Entertainment trying to cork leak by hiring high-powered lawyer
Sony announced Wednesday afternoon it was cancelling the film’s Dec. 25 theatrical release, even as the studio said it stood by its filmmakers and their right of free expression.

“Sony Pictures has been the victim of an unprecedented criminal assault against our employees, our customers, and our business. Those who attacked us stole our intellectual property, private e-mails, and sensitive and proprietary material, and sought to destroy our spirit and our morale – all apparently to thwart the release of a movie they did not like,” the studio said in a statement announcing the move.

“We are deeply saddened at this brazen effort to suppress the distribution of a movie, and in the process do damage to our company, our employees, and the American public. We stand by our filmmakers and their right to free expression and are extremely disappointed by this outcome.”

The studio had little choice, after the top five U.S. theatrical chains and all of Canada’s major chains announced they would not play the film, out of concern for the safety of their patrons.

The terror threat, posted to file sharing sites on Tuesday, warns: “We recommend you to keep yourself distant from the places [showing the film] at that time. (If your house is nearby, you’d better leave.)”

It also says: “The world will be full of fear. Remember the 11th of September 2001.”

In response to the threat, Sony Pictures gave theatre owners the option of cancelling their bookings without incurring any penalty. Within 24 hours, most had taken them up on the offer.

The cancellation is the latest stumble for Sony after hackers calling themselves Guardians of Peace broke into its corporate network and downloaded enormous stores of data, including personnel files, e-mails, and digital copies of five movies, among them the upcoming musical Annie.

Reports have suggested the hack was in retaliation for Sony producing The Interview, a buddy comedy about two U.S. journalists who carry out an assassination attempt on the leader of North Korea. The film is said to contain a scene in which Kim Jong-un’s head explodes. The scene was reportedly toned down after Kazuo Hirai, the president and CEO of Sony Corp., personally intervened.

While the hack has been a serious matter for Sony, especially after it led to embarrassing revelations about the conduct of executives and their attitude toward some high-profile talent, it has also been a subject of humour: On a recent episode of Saturday Night Live, Franco and Rogen joked about hackers releasing nude photos of the two co-stars snuggling like John Lennon and Yoko Ono on a classic cover of Rolling Stone magazine.

But the situation turned more serious this week with the new threat. Rogen and Franco canceled all of their scheduled media appearances, and then Tuesday evening Sony cancelled the New York premiere of The Interview, which had been slated for Thursday.
I don't want anyone to be in danger, but not showing the film sends a message that threats will get you what you want. I expect more such threats in the future. Fuck you Sony and fuck you theatres.

I do not wish to encourage illegal activity, but its hard to see how illegally downloading this film wouldn't be a patriotic act if there's no other way to see it.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Re: Companies surrender to terrorists over The Interview.

Post by General Zod »

I actually kind of want to go see this. Too bad my options might be limited now.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

It seems that your options are illegal download or wait and hope they have the balls to at least release it later.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Well, it's now official. If a movie company does something you don't like, make threats, and they will capitulate. Anytime a group is unhappy with what a film might say, they can make a threat and boom, pulled from theaters because of a threat. Congratulations Sony, you just destroyed free speech.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

They also cancelled the movie based off the book, Pyongang.

IGN
Steve Carell Movie Cancelled Following Sony Hack
Report: "It makes no sense" to develop the film now.

By Katie WilliamsNew Regency Pictures has cancelled Pyongyang, a Steve Carell-starring film set in North Korea.

Based on a graphic novel by Guy DeLisle, Pyongyang was to be a "paranoid thriller" about a Westerner's experiences working in North Korea for a year. Gore Verbinski had been prepping to begin filming in March, according to TheWrap.

It's the newest casualty in the saga of the recent Sony hack, which saw hundreds of internal documents leaked. Following threats of terrorism from the purported hacker group, Sony canceled the release of James Franco and Seth Rogen film The Interview, which revolves around a plot to assassinate North Korea leader Kim Jong Un.
James Franco - Theater Chains Won't Show The Interview - IGN News
01:04

Deadline's inside source says that "under the current circumstances, it just makes no sense to move forward" with production of Pyongyang.

The script had been written by Steve Conrad, who previously worked with Verbinski on The Weather Man. IGN Logo
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

All Hail North Korea, Conquerors of the Internet and victors of the movie theaters!

But lets keep in mind Sony only pulled the film after the three biggest US movie theater chains refused to show the movie. They yielded to straight business pressure, its the fucking theater industry, the same one that saw nothing wrong with continuing to show batman after an entire theater was riddled with gunfire while it played, that yielded to random North Korean threats online. So hate on AMC and ilk, not Sony. They still appear to have left open a later release.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

I do have to laugh at Sony's continued attempts to drape itself in 'WAAAAAH WE WERE HACKED!' during discussions regarding totally unrelated issues. Movie theaters don't want to show The Interview. WAAAAH, WE WERE HACKED! We're not going to do a different movie based in North Korea. WAAAH, WE WERE HACKED!
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

You know what? I'm entirely fine with not calling North Korea's bluff on this one. They're nuts enough that we have to take them seriously, and slipping a nail-bomb into a crowded cinema couldn't be that hard.

Besides, the film was probably going to be shit.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Zaune wrote:You know what? I'm entirely fine with not calling North Korea's bluff on this one. They're nuts enough that we have to take them seriously, and slipping a nail-bomb into a crowded cinema couldn't be that hard.
That's precisely why capitulating is stupid. Anyone with two functioning arms can credibly make such a threat, so if you're going to give everyone the power to veto movies they don't like, you might as well shut down the film industry right now.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Grumman wrote:
Zaune wrote:You know what? I'm entirely fine with not calling North Korea's bluff on this one. They're nuts enough that we have to take them seriously, and slipping a nail-bomb into a crowded cinema couldn't be that hard.
That's precisely why capitulating is stupid. Anyone with two functioning arms can credibly make such a threat, so if you're going to give everyone the power to veto movies they don't like, you might as well shut down the film industry right now.
An individual can do it once in one place.

A state actor can do it in multiple places because they have far more resources.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Do we even know how credible the threats were? If this was done by a bunch of pimply-faced basement dwellers in the west that's one thing, but North Korea has engaged in kidnapping, murder, and the like in the past in its region of the world so a threat from them could very well be credible.

I think Sony is going to quash the film for now but quietly release it later. It might never show in the theaters but I could foresee a brisk market on video.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

FaxModem1 wrote:Well, it's now official. If a movie company does something you don't like, make threats, and they will capitulate. Anytime a group is unhappy with what a film might say, they can make a threat and boom, pulled from theaters because of a threat. Congratulations Sony, you just destroyed free speech.
That's an overstatement, but this is a big step in the wrong direction.

There's some talk about it still being released on video. But this is still a shameful and dangerous concession.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Broomstick wrote:Do we even know how credible the threats were? If this was done by a bunch of pimply-faced basement dwellers in the west that's one thing, but North Korea has engaged in kidnapping, murder, and the like in the past in its region of the world so a threat from them could very well be credible.

I think Sony is going to quash the film for now but quietly release it later. It might never show in the theaters but I could foresee a brisk market on video.
I don't give a damn if it is credible. Since when did we allow terrorists and foreign governments to dictate what movies we could show?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Should we put hundreds or thousands of people at risk?

IF there is a real risk of a terror attack being pulled off should we just ignore the risk?

On the other hand, if this is caving into empty threats yes, bad Sony! Bad theaters! Naughty naughty!

And, as I said, it may be a matter of simply delaying the release until things calm down - would that change your opinion of the matter?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

It would be better than never releasing it, but its still backing down to terrorists to some extent. And what's to stop someone making another threat when they decide to release it later and keeping it from being released again?

As for weather its worth putting people at risk, I would say that it is. Its not about one movie. Its about the principles of freedom of expression and not submitting to tyrants and terrorists. Also, the world is full of people who are willing to commit violence against those who don't do as they wish. If a threat is enough to make us give up our principles and submit, we'll be doing it constantly. And its impossible to appease everyone. We can't simultaneously submit to ISIS and Right wing Christian nuts.
cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

FaxModem1 wrote:Well, it's now official. If a movie company does something you don't like, make threats, and they will capitulate. Anytime a group is unhappy with what a film might say, they can make a threat and boom, pulled from theaters because of a threat. Congratulations Sony, you just destroyed free speech.

Oh i think it was feeling ill for a while.... Red Dawn remake anyone?
Terralthra wrote:It's similar to the Arabic word for "one who sows discord" or "one who crushes underfoot". It'd be like if the acronym for the some Tea Party thing was "DKBAG" or something. In one sense, it's just the acronym for ISIL/ISIS in Arabic: Dawlat (al-) Islāmiyya ‘Irāq Shām, but it's also an insult.
"Democratic Korps (of those who are) Beneficently Anti-Government"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I think that Obama should call on companies to show the film and, failing that, offer to buy it from Sony and release it at the taxpayers' expense. He should also publicly condemn the threats, the decision not to show the film, and the government of North Korea. And while I doubt even North Korea is prepared to fight a war over this, he should build up missile defence systems in the Pacific.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

www.cnbc.com/id/102264502#.
U.S. officials believe the North Korean government was behind the computer hacking attack on Sony Pictures Entertainment, a massive security breach that embarrassed several executives and led to the cancellation of the planned Dec. 25 release of "The Interview."

The officials told NBC News the hacking attack originated outside North Korea, but they believe the individuals behind it were acting on orders from the North Koreans.

"We have found linkage to the North Korean government," according to a U.S. government source.

The officials offered no further details. "The Interview" is a comedy starring Seth Rogen and James Franco that depicts the fictionalized assassination attempt on North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un inspects KPA Air and Anti-Air Force Unit 458 in an undated photo released by North Korea's Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) in Pyongyang Dec. 8, 2014.
KCNA | North Korea
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un inspects KPA Air and Anti-Air Force Unit 458 in an undated photo released by North Korea's Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) in Pyongyang Dec. 8, 2014.
Read MoreSony cancels the Dec. 25 release of 'The Interview'
Sony on Wednesday dropped its plans to release the movie on Christmas Day after some of the country's largest theater chains said they were holding back or dropping the movie following threats of violence made by the same group that claimed it had hacked Sony, Guardians for Peace.

"Sony Pictures has been the victim of an unprecedented criminal assault against our employees, our customers, and our business," Sony said in a statement Wednesday, saying that it reached the decision after the top cinema chains pulled out. Regal, Cinemark, Carmike and Cineplex were among the chains that said it would not show the film on the planned Dec. 25 release, citing security concerns.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

FaxModem1 wrote:They also cancelled the movie based off the book, Pyongang.

IGN
Steve Carell Movie Cancelled Following Sony Hack
Report: "It makes no sense" to develop the film now.

By Katie WilliamsNew Regency Pictures has cancelled Pyongyang, a Steve Carell-starring film set in North Korea.

Based on a graphic novel by Guy DeLisle, Pyongyang was to be a "paranoid thriller" about a Westerner's experiences working in North Korea for a year. Gore Verbinski had been prepping to begin filming in March, according to TheWrap.

It's the newest casualty in the saga of the recent Sony hack, which saw hundreds of internal documents leaked. Following threats of terrorism from the purported hacker group, Sony canceled the release of James Franco and Seth Rogen film The Interview, which revolves around a plot to assassinate North Korea leader Kim Jong Un.
James Franco - Theater Chains Won't Show The Interview - IGN News
01:04

Deadline's inside source says that "under the current circumstances, it just makes no sense to move forward" with production of Pyongyang.

The script had been written by Steve Conrad, who previously worked with Verbinski on The Weather Man. IGN Logo
So they're preemptively stopping a movie because it might piss off terrorists/North Korea. Are they going to stop news coverage of the horrible conditions in North Korea as well? Why not declare Kim Jong Un dictator of America if we're that quick to cower before him? This is utterly disgusting.
Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Post by Eulogy »

The Romulan Republic wrote: So they're preemptively stopping a movie because it might piss off terrorists/North Korea. Are they going to stop news coverage of the horrible conditions in North Korea as well? Why not declare Kim Jong Un dictator of America if we're that quick to cower before him? This is utterly disgusting.
Because of the specter of nuclear retaliation.
"A word of advice: next time you post, try not to inadvertently reveal why you've had no success with real women." Darth Wong to Bubble Boy
"I see you do not understand objectivity," said Tom Carder, a fundie fucknut to Darth Wong
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I doubt even North Korea is prepared to start a nuclear war they would lose over a movie. And if they are that crazy, there's probably going to be a war anyway, especially since success now will encourage them to make threats.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I think that Obama should call on companies to show the film and, failing that, offer to buy it from Sony and release it at the taxpayers' expense. He should also publicly condemn the threats, the decision not to show the film, and the government of North Korea. And while I doubt even North Korea is prepared to fight a war over this, he should build up missile defence systems in the Pacific.
For some reason if the POTUS did buy such films with taxpayer's money, I can just see how this system would lend itself to people who are brazen enough to "game the system."
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

The title is wrong. Companies surrendered to unknown threat-makers.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Allegedly, the threat-makers are now known to be North Korea.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Stas Bush wrote:The title is wrong. Companies surrendered to unknown threat-makers.
Actually, whoever hacked Sony is apparently connected to North Korea. I posted about this earlier. Supposedly they also made the threats. And I would argue that anyone who threatens an attack to advance a political agenda by causing fear is by definition a terrorist.