Polygamist ninjas attack home of witness in sex assault case

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Polygamist ninjas attack home of witness in sex assault case

Post by TimothyC »

The Guardian wrote:Two armed “polygamist women” dressed like “ninjas” were subdued by a sword-wielding man during a home invasion, according to police in suburban Utah.

Police said the two women, aged 18 and 22, were attacking the home of a witness and victim in a criminal child sex assault case against a man the women called their “husband”.

The women “violently attacked one of the adult males in the house who came to see who was coming,” Ian Adams of the West Jordan police department told the Guardian.

“Another adult male joined the fray in defense of the first male victim. He was armed with a sword, and using a sword … and with the other male [was] able to subdue the two women until police arrived and took them into custody.”

The attack took place just before 4am on Friday. The child witness was home but was not involved in the incident, Adams said.

The two women are in custody at Salt Lake County Jail. Neither their names nor mugshots, nor the name of the “husband”, are being released, because to do so could identify the child victim.

Adams said: “They’re all related.”

Another officer with West Jordan police said the sex assault complaint was against the victim’s uncle.

Two women clad in ninja costumes, armed with knives and stun guns, forced their way through the door. The family believes they were there to abduct a 15-year-old girl inside.

One of the men who subdued the women was interviewed by the local Fox 13 new station. “I went to the bottom of the stairs and saw a couple of ninjas coming down,” the man was quoted as saying. “They were all dark gray or black, and they had black rubber gloves on and masks. All I could see was their eyes.”

The women are both charged with aggravated burglary, aggravated assault and witness tampering, all felonies. After the attack, Adams said, “the two female suspects claimed to be the wives of the male who’s sitting in custody on the child sex offenses”.

“I’ve never seen anything like this in my career,” said Adams. “I have a feeling that as this investigation progresses we’ll have more details. It’s still kind of fresh.”

Adams said he could not provide any further information about the type of sword that had been used to subdue the women.

West Jordan is a suburb of Salt Lake City, and is home to about 110,000 people, according to the US Census Bureau.

Plural marriage was practised in Utah by members of the Mormon church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, until the 1890s, when it was rejected by the church and banned by the state.

In August, an appeals court in Utah partially lifted the ban, allowing a man and a woman to marry and live with others they consider “spouses”, after a lawsuit by stars of the cable network show Sister Wives.
The attack isn't funny. The fact that they dressed up like ninjas is.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Re: Polygamist ninjas attack home of witness in sex assault

Post by Ralin »

The ninja costumes are weird but understandable, since they would legit make you hard to identify.

It's the fact that the victims happened to have a friend with a sword hanging out with them.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Ralin wrote:The ninja costumes are weird but understandable, since they would legit make you hard to identify.

It's the fact that the victims happened to have a friend with a sword hanging out with them.
*looks at the rack of three battle-ready blades on his wall*

This is a strange thing? I've got a half-unfolded e-tool next to my nightstand, too. My neighborhood has gone downhill, fast, but I won't keep guns outside the safe because my three year old niece is often around.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Highlord Laan wrote:
Ralin wrote:The ninja costumes are weird but understandable, since they would legit make you hard to identify.

*looks at the rack of three battle-ready blades on his wall*

This is a strange thing? I've got a half-unfolded e-tool next to my nightstand, too. My neighborhood has gone downhill, fast, but I won't keep guns outside the safe because my three year old niece is often around.
Even if there was one laying around I wouldn't expect many people's reaction to be going Highlander. Actual soldiers usually don't remember they have knives and bayonets and shit when a fight is going down.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

It's possible the sword may have been the only weapon to hand at the moment, and in those circumstances, why not? If you don't have time to go to another room and open a gun-safe, assuming you have guns and they're in a safe or tucked away under the bed or whatever, you grab what's convenient, nearby and capable of causing damage... well, you'll grab it and to hell with who gives you a funny look later because you gotta take care of it RIGHT AWAY.

And I have, uh, nine swords... no guns, though. Well, a cute little pellet-gun, but that's it.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

When you're fighting ninjas, you use a sword. This guy is just genre savvy.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I agree with Elheru Aran. I mean, at my household we've used both a crossbow and a garden shovel to repel Bad People With Violent Intent.

I also happen to own a machete, which isn't quite a sword... but still no guns in here.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Swords are far more common than one might think... there's at least four or five sword forums on the Internet that I can think of off the top of my head. Legit ones too, not tryhard teen mall-ninja otaku-freak websites. Which, unfortunately, is what sword fans tend to get identified with these days.

Anyway, I bet if you ask a cop, you'll probably hear about a lot of weird things people grab to defend their home with. There's logical things like frying pans and baseball bats... but then someone's probably used a chair at some point, or a toaster...

That digression aside: Mormon ninjas. WTF. That, if nothing else, should indicate that the fundamentalist group in question is probably Up to No Good (TM).
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Heck I have one.

My Glamdring isn't sharpened but it would still make a rather effective club with just the pummel. But if I was in this situation the cast iron frying pan would be my weapon of choice.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

To be fair, people on this forum are probably more likely to have a sword than a representative sample of the population.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

So someone someplace had an encounter they thought would be extralegal...

Fuck everyone involved with this case, especilly those whores. Wait, you thought your great man wasn't Jesus? Fuvck you. And fuck your family.

Seriously, why do we have a thread for this?
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Because the idea of Mormon Ninjas being subdued by a sword-wielding bloke is actually pretty damn funny? Not the attack itself, but the batshit-craziness involved
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

No, realy, anyone else want to make me wait to tell you fucktards what I actually think of you? Anyone?
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Something bothering you Coffee?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Mr. Coffee wrote:No, realy, anyone else want to make me wait to tell you fucktards what I actually think of you? Anyone?
When have you ever waited?

Besides, there's precedent for posting actual Onion articles in N&P; this is just human interest in the sheer weirdness of it all.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Coffee, go away and come back when you're sober.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Mr. Coffee wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:Something bothering you Coffee?
It bothers me that your assholes think to give those ladies shit for goddamn things you do yourself. No, shut yout fuking mouth, bitch.
You think we dress up in ninja outfits and raid the houses of people armed with swords to kidnap children? :|
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

I'm not sure if Drunk Coffee is hilarious or just sad.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Back on Topic:
Police said the two women, aged 18 and 22, were attacking the home of a witness and victim in a criminal child sex assault case against a man the women called their “husband”
So, the two women are "wives" of a man accused of sexually assulating a 15yr old girl. The man may or may not be related to the girl. But the girl was a victim and a witness, and the man was in custody pending trial, I assume.
So, the "sister-wives" decide to kidnap/harm/kill? the girl, in order to get their man out of trouble.

I'm not sure why there was a sword in the house, and I'm not sure how it was used to stop the sister-wives, but they broke in with Intent to Harm. Getting smacked around by the men inside the house is the least of their worries now. They've just given ammo to the prosecuting attorney, especially if they'd talked to their man in jail before pulling this trick. Sister-wives usually don't act without Husbandly Approval.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Coffee's ranting sent to HOS, and he's been sent to the Drunk Tank (tempban) to detox.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

LadyTevar wrote:So, the two women are "wives" of a man accused of sexually assulating a 15yr old girl. The man may or may not be related to the girl. But the girl was a victim and a witness, and the man was in custody pending trial, I assume.

So, the "sister-wives" decide to kidnap/harm/kill? the girl, in order to get their man out of trouble.
Given the age of the girl, and how the little voices in these mens' heads have been telling them to marry teenagers since the days of Josephe Smith, I have to wonder if the "sexual assault" could also be described as an attempted (or successful) consummation of a forced marriage. In which case the sister-wives might regard the 15 year old as another sister-wife and were not intending to physically harm her but rather to kidnap her and take her away to the "family". The polygamists out that way aren't above kidnapping and forcibly holding a reluctant woman. They also regard 14 and 15 year olds as old enough to marry.

As for being related - at this point pretty much everyone in the FLDS communities are related to each other, in some cases a little closely to be healthy. They're starting to have all sorts of weird recessives come out of the mix.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Starting to? No starting to. They've been for a while now, if you take Rebecca Musser's account at value value. We're talking about uncles marrying almost-nieces in some cases. Fun stuff like fumarase deficiency.

Apart from the incest, they tend to progressively set their sights lower and lower as they go-- Warren Jeffs was convicted partly upon a recording of him consummating a 'heavenly marriage' with a 12-year-old. Nasty business and a big reason why I think there needs to be some limits upon what practitioners of religion are permitted to do in the name of their faith.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Elheru Aran wrote:Nasty business and a big reason why I think there needs to be some limits upon what practitioners of religion are permitted to do in the name of their faith.
Anyone who doesn't believe that clearly hasn't given the question sufficient thought. A reminder that in certain religions proper observance involves murdering someone and wearing their skin should make them rethink their answer.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Grumman wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:Nasty business and a big reason why I think there needs to be some limits upon what practitioners of religion are permitted to do in the name of their faith.
Anyone who doesn't believe that clearly hasn't given the question sufficient thought. A reminder that in certain religions proper observance involves murdering someone and wearing their skin should make them rethink their answer.
I'd actually prefer the occasional practicing skinwalker to institutional rape and child molestation!