Robin Williams dead at 63

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Robin Williams dead at 63

Post by Borgholio »

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/robin ... 201280386/
Veteran film and television comedic actor Robin Williams was found dead on Monday. He was 63.

The cause of death is believed to be suicide via asphyxiation, according to the coroner’s office in Tiburon, Calif. He was found in his home.

His publicist Mara Buxbaum said the actor had been battling depression of late.

“This is a tragic and sudden loss,” she said in a statement. “The family respectfully asks for their privacy as they grieve during this very difficult time.”

Williams is best known for both comedic and dramatic roles in movies including “Good Will Hunting,” for which he won a Best Supporting Actor in 1997. In addition, he won several Emmys, Golden Globes.

Williams’ film career was bookended by TV roles including his breakout role on the ABC sitcom “Mork & Mindy” in 1978. He returned to TV on CBS last season, “The Crazy Ones.”

Fuck.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Robin Williams Dead At 63 of Possible Suicide

Post by Tanasinn »

Not too many sources yet.

I'll be bummed if it's true. Guy was funny and could act, and from what I know was a pretty decent sort as they went. I know he battled depression for years.
Truth fears no trial.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Robin Williams found dead - possible suicide

Post by Mr Bean »

Suicide via asphyxiation, is it wrong to hope it's just normal everyday suicide rather than autoerotic asphyxia?
And peg me as shocked that Robin Williams would be one to commit suicide if this is true.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Fuck, I'm speechless. I loved this guy. I haven't felt this bad about a celebrity death since Neil Armstrong :cry:
RIP, you funny, talented man...
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Admiral Drason
Jedi Knight

Re: Robin Williams Dead At 63 of Possible Suicide

Post by Admiral Drason »

I really was not expecting that. I really didn't think that his death would feel like a punch to the stomach. RIP Robin Williams.
A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn
So Say We All
Night Stalkers Don't Quit
HAB member
RIP Pegasus. You died like you lived, killing toasters
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

He has had a couple failed project recently, his new series was just cancelled last month. I hope that wasn't a trigger give how successful he was previously. I am sorry to see him go, he was tremendously good actor.
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Ebola outbreak....Robin Williams dead. Nope. I'm out.

*jumps off planet*
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Most celebrity deaths don't bother me but this one I'm actually feeling. Some of my earliest memories are of him. I am truly saddened by this. :(
Dragon Clan Veritech
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Even though some people say it wasn't one of his better movies...I want to watch Hook now. :(
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

I'm baffled by how much this effects me emotionally. Usually I don't care too much about celebrity deaths. I didn't even really like most of his movies (except Hook, and Good Morning Vietnam). He just seemed like a really talented actor, and I had no idea this guy struggled so much with depression. It's truly depressing.

The really morbid thing is that a couple of movies starring Robin Williams are still scheduled for release, including another sequel to that garbage "Night at the Museum" franchise.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

I've never had a reaction to any famous person passing away other than an intellectual "that is sad and I feel sorry for their family", but when I heard this I was actually stunned, shocked and genuinely saddened.

He won't be forgotten, his body of work will be his testimonial.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

It's confirmed that he is dead, with police citing that he died of apparent suicide by asphyxia. More info when investigation is complete.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Depression is a terrible disease and sometimes it's fatal.

Mr. Williams will be sorely missed.

I heard at work tonight, where the break room was a series of "Did you hear?" "No - you're shitting me." "No, that can't be true!" over and over.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Mr Bean wrote:Suicide via asphyxiation, is it wrong to hope it's just normal everyday suicide rather than autoerotic asphyxia?
Asphysiation can also be a plastic bag over your head or releasing gas in a confined space. I'm sure we'll have something more official shortly.
And peg me as shocked that Robin Williams would be one to commit suicide if this is true.
The man had been through drug rehab at least twice and had a history of depression even if it wasn't well publicized. In retrospect, it's not entirely surprising. One can be depressed and highly functional at the same time.

It hurts so damn much because his main job (with no slight to his dramatic talents, which were equally impressive) was to make us laugh. There is too little joy in the world as it is, having the laughter die hurts all the more.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
darth_timon
Padawan Learner

Post by darth_timon »

I loved Robin Williams- he will always be the outrageous Mrs Doubtfire and the hyperactive Genie, and he will be sorely missed. RIP.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

I also loved him for his serious roles - Bicentennial Man was great.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Bicentennial Man was ok. Good Will Hunting was amazing.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

The Fisher King was also pretty good. Too bad there won't be anymore with Mr. Williams in them.
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Terralthra wrote:Bicentennial Man was ok. Good Will Hunting was amazing.
I only Saw Good Will Hunting a few months ago for the first time and felt like a shit for not seeing it sooner. Some celebrity deaths are just a total dickpunch. This is one of them - and straight out of the blue.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Though I believe he was embarrassed for being in Popeye, it was a movie of his that I really liked.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Queue
Lex Volcanus

Re: Robin Williams dead at 63

Post by Queue »

Merged the thread from OT into this one.
I feel a presence. Another warrior is on the mesa.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Remember watching Mork & Mindy when I was a little kid, I didn't get any of the references, but there was this hairy maniac in a goofy sweater going apeshit, and that was good enough for me. Few years later, little older, still not quite getting some of the references while watching Robin doing stand-up on HBO, and that was the time I found out what cocaine was when I asked my Pop to explain what the fuck "blow" was. He's right up there with Jim Henson and George Carlin on my list of people that made growing up a lot more fun. I'm gonna miss this guy.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

Add me to the list of people who never have much emotional reaction to celebrity deaths, but for which this one hits pretty hard. Wasn't prepared for a world without Robin Williams. Dead Poet's Society will be harder to watch now, but even more meaningful.
It's Jodan, not Jordan. If you can't quote it right, I will mock you.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Been watching "Mork and Mindy" episodes on youtube almost all morning.
The best way to remember a great man is to enjoy his works.
And with the old Mork and Mindy, there is a LOT to enjoy!
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

I did feel a pang of pain. I think you could see that sadness behind his eyes sometimes.