In which gun-owners behave like spoiled children

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

In which gun-owners behave like spoiled children

Post by General Zod »

http://gawker.com/assholes-with-guns-ar ... 1582023603
You can't undo social injustice with inaction. Which is why these armed freedom fighters have taken to chain restaurants to plead nonviolently, and counterproductively, for their liberty to eat a quesadilla salad while scaring the fuck out of everybody in the joint.

The video comes from Mark Follman at Mother Jones, who's lately documented the antics of Texas Open Carry activists who think they're a bunch of nice guys who just happen to carry assault rifles around town because they can, and it's not their fault if the bitchy moms they shoot in effigy or sit next to in these restaurants feel bullied or intimidated, because freedom, goddamnit.

After a Chili's manager tells them they're welcome to eat if they leave their guns outside, the cadre kicks itself out, complaining that "This isn't the safest Chili's anymore" and resolving to eat at Sonic—where, as another video obtained by Mother Jones shows, they also get refused service.

As Follman points out, this campaign by the freedom-fightin' boomstick-bearers—who have compared their plight to blacks eating at segregated lunch counters in the Civil Rights era—has backfired for the most part, with Chipotle and others taking the Johnny Cash approach to these yahoos: Leave your guns at home, son.

Why Does Chipotle Hate Freedom?
There are two ways to mark yourself as an unrepentant splotchy engorged asshole in a Chipotle. One…

And now Chili's and Sonic have effectively joined the list... from the nervous and angry reactions of some patrons to comments from some of the gun activists themselves, it's not difficult to see why these spectacles haven't been winning many people over.

When a young woman approaches the group in Chili's and expresses her dismay, a guy with an assault rifle strapped across his back offers her a flier. "Um actually, there's children here," she replies, "and you're a dumbass." As she walks away one member of the group comments mockingly, "Yes, I'm a dumbass," and then says of her, "must be Moms Demand Action," referring to the national gun-reform group...

In the Sonic video, as the thwarted gun group lingers in an adjacent parking lot, one member says: "I just wish I had my kids in there when that one dumb chick come up and started rattin' her mouth."
Speaking as a gun owner and lifelong shooter, there's absolutely no reason for these guys to do this, except that they believe they're supreme gentlemen and they believe, without evidence, that their open-carry rights are "use it or lose it." Really, what do you lose if you lose the right to eat in a family establishment with a semiautomatic AK-47 variant with a drum magazine slung across your back? Not a fucking thing. (To say nothing of the fact that most of these assault-style weapons with high-velocity rounds are dumb weapons if you actually have to shoot a perp in a restaurant at close range.)
Is it unfair to stereotype gun-owners as some of the whiniest and most self entitled assholes in the country? Because I don't think it is.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
PKRudeBoy
Padawan Learner

Re: In which gun-owners behave like spoiled children

Post by PKRudeBoy »

Yeah, it is, because when you look at any group containing 40% of the population, you're bound to get a whole bunch of nutcases and assholes.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Is it unfair to stereotype gun-owners as some of the whiniest and most self entitled assholes in the country? Because I don't think it is.
It is unfair, yes. I am a gun owner and I keep them safely stored at home unless I am taking them to a firing range for some fun and target practice. Most gun owners are actually responsible in how they make use of their weapons.

Now, I think it is quite fair to stereotype these open-carry people as dumb hick yahoos who carry guns around to compensate for their really tiny cahones. Guns are supposed to be for defense or hunting. You don't need to hunt if you're eating in a fucking Sonic's, and I see nothing to indicate they are in any kind of danger...let alone the kind that requires an assault rifle as opposed to a small concealed handgun.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

It is absolutely unfair to characterize American gun owners as self-entitled assholes. I mean, why wouldn't you want to be able to openly carry deadly weapons like you were in sub-Sahara Africa, or the 18th century? Why wouldn't you want to live in a country whose legislature is so completely beholden to the interests of the gun lobby that obviously insane psychopaths can legally purchase guns to their hearts content and then use them to randomly murder people like it were Prohibition-era Chicago? I mean, how dare you suggest that Americans be denied their God-given right to terrorize ignorant hoplophobes who don't understand that their lack of guns makes them victim sheep and the red-blooded American gun owner's guns makes him A REAL PATRIOT MAN, FUCK YEAH!

I mean, I will admit it, I'm an American with a gun collection. Even so, the public behavior of some other American gun owners, and their paranoid, entitlement-complex, victim-complex bleating; and the fact that the guns are so freely available here that whacked-out nutjobs like the spoiled affluenza-afflicted man-child from this last weekend could buy enough guns and ammo in ... wait for it ... EVUL LIE-BERAL GUN-HATING LEFT-COAST CALIFORNIA to carry out a murder spree has disgusted me to the point that I've been seriously reconsidering whether I want to continue to be part of the problem simply by being a gun owner.

Okay, I'm going to go find kitten pictures on the interwebs now. It's too early in the day for a beer.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

to quote the onion headline: "‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens"
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

General Zod wrote:Is it unfair to stereotype gun-owners as some of the whiniest and most self entitled assholes in the country? Because I don't think it is.
Stereotyping millions using a group of vocal morons? Nah, totally fair.

Anyways, I think it's funny that the same type of guys who would likely support the right to refuse service of business are now pissed off they're the ones getting refused.

If these fuckers get 30.06 signs posted at Chili's, I'm going to be pissed.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

I think its funny that people would be scared of anyone openly carrying. I am honestly curious as to how many violent gun crimes are committed by someone who was openly carrying at the time. I am sure its between 0 and 0. Well, maybe a few not so self defensive self defense situations.

I would say that these guys are going over the top, but I really like pointing out how irrational the average soccer mom is.
Last edited by Patroklos on 2014-05-28 01:42pm, edited 2 times in total.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Sorry, wrong button :(
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Patroklos wrote:I think its funny that people would be scared of anyone openly carrying. I am honestly curious as to how many violent gun crimes are committed by someone who was openly carrying at the time. I am sure its between 0 and 0. Well, maybe a few not so self defensive self defense situations.

I would say that these guys are going over the top, but I really like pointing out how irrational the average soccer mom is.
Because gun owners would never carry their weapons in public for the purpose of intimidating people. And accidental discharges in public never, ever happen.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Patroklos wrote:I think its funny that people would be scared of anyone openly carrying. I am honestly curious as to how many violent gun crimes are committed by someone who was openly carrying at the time. I am sure its between 0 and 0. Well, maybe a few not so self defensive self defense situations.
It's not so much about the intentional danger, but walking around with a slung AR is a safety issue. So, when you get to Chili's and sit down at a booth, where do you put the gun that is currently slung on your back? Lean it against the wall? Lay it across your lap? What happens when you need to use the bathroom? "Here man, hold my gun."?

Don't get me wrong, if I got to choose to defend myself with a pistol or my carbine, I'd take the carbine any day. But a pistol is much easier and safer to handle when it can stay on your hip 100% of the time. I can go about my day just fine that way. But slinging my CX4? Not a fucking chance without barrel-sweeping someone at least once or having to put it into a position where safety isn't guaranteed.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

General Zod wrote:Because gun owners would never carry their weapons in public for the purpose of intimidating people. And accidental discharges in public never, ever happen.
It is only intimidating if you are ignorant of the fact that so few people do anything hostile with it I can't find a single instance.

Discharges are a possibility but that is also the case with concealed carry. It's probably a better situation here with open carry, at least you know there is a gun there for that to happen and can even stay clear of the barrel. But I couldn't find any random people dying from a public open carry accidental discharge either. I found a few concealed carry accidental discharge, for example:

http://www.floridaconcealedcarry.com/Fo ... ills-Woman

Most concealed carry discharges I found, however, were going into and out of cars.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Patroklos wrote:
General Zod wrote:Because gun owners would never carry their weapons in public for the purpose of intimidating people. And accidental discharges in public never, ever happen.
It is only intimidating if you are ignorant of the fact that so few people do anything hostile with it I can't find a single instance.
Oh, really? I'll dig up more when I have the time, but these are the two instances fresh in my mind right now.
Discharges are a possibility but that is also the case with concealed carry. It's probably a better situation here with open carry, at least you know there is a gun there for that to happen and can even stay clear of the barrel. But I couldn't find any random people dying from a public open carry accidental discharge either. I found a few concealed carry accidental discharge, for example:

http://www.floridaconcealedcarry.com/Fo ... ills-Woman

Most concealed carry discharges I found, however, were going into and out of cars.
Try harder.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

General Zod wrote:Oh, really? I'll dig up more when I have the time, but these are the two instances fresh in my mind right now.
Your links are irrelevant. Some people are scared of black people or muslims walking down the street, that doesn't make it a rational fear we should legislate against.

Unless you can show instances of open carry people committing gun crimes or in any other way committing gun violence on purpose or on accident in a non trivial number of occurances all you are doing is demonstrating how irrational fear of open carry is.
Thats great, I provided a link too, and neither mine or your two has anything to do with open carry. So all you have accomplished is to support what I said ealier, that a trivial amount of CCW persons have had discharges in public and open carry is probably safer.

Weren't you supposed to be showing a rational reason to be intimidated? So far lightning strikes and bear attacks are trumping you. Better not take your umbrella out in or menstrate in public! FEAR!!!
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Um, as far as I know, you can solve the accidental discharge issue by not having a round chambered all the time.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Carrying an AK-47 slung across your shoulder into a fast-food restaurant is, at best, on par with carrying a table-saw into a fast-food restaurant with you. Why the fuck would you do that? Why would you need such a tool in order to eat a cheap burger/dog/burrito/whatever? Are you going to shoot your fries before eating them? Dangerous potatoes! >blam!<

Meanwhile, you could drop a sawblade on your foot or a kid could fool around with it and hurt himself. Or, you know, accidental gun discharge.

I don't own a gun, never have, don't feel a need to but I sure do like having the option. I've fired guns and I see the appeal. I have no problems with eating game meat. That does make me a supporter of gun rights. I'm also a supporter of gun responsibilities. Open carry of that kind of gun makes no sense in 99% of the possible restaurants you could go to (if you're in the backwoods or something and stop for a bite to eat at a small town, yeah, maybe, because you don't want to leave your gunning leaning up against the outside wall next to the door). These guys are dickheads. They give responsible gun owners a bad name. Fuck 'em and their tiny dicks.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Um, as far as I know, you can solve the accidental discharge issue by not having a round chambered all the time.
True. But we're talking about bald primates here, and no one is perfect. If the gun is not in the vicinity that chances of an accident with the gun fall to zero. If the gun in in the vicinity the chances of an accident are small, but they do exist.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Broomstick wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:Um, as far as I know, you can solve the accidental discharge issue by not having a round chambered all the time.
True. But we're talking about bald primates here, and no one is perfect. If the gun is not in the vicinity that chances of an accident with the gun fall to zero. If the gun in in the vicinity the chances of an accident are small, but they do exist.
You are certainly right, and I agree with you on it would be good to have the option to own a weapon. However, I would support regulations more akin to a driving license (a UK or European one, since I know your opinion of US driving tests), that you must demonstrate that you can handle and keep the guns safely.

Hence, being trained to not keep the damn thing loaded when you aren't using it.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Which is what any sane gun owner actually does.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Openly carrying a weapon while not being military or law enforcement is a threat display. If a guy marched into a restaurant with an assault rifle my first thought would be if that guy's trying to rob the place or start any other violent shit.

Why would someone openly carry a weapon into a public place in the first place?
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Yeah I really can't see why it is necessary. I suppose that's my British attitude to gun control showing, where it's a privilege not a right.

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Speaking as a brit, if I saw any kind of weapon being paraded around at my workplace, I would immediately become nervous. I'm sure it's slightly different in the US due to culture, history, etc, but any object engineered specifically to kill and destroy things being openly carried around makes me uneasy, for some reason.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Patroklos wrote:
General Zod wrote:Oh, really? I'll dig up more when I have the time, but these are the two instances fresh in my mind right now.
Your links are irrelevant. Some people are scared of black people or muslims walking down the street, that doesn't make it a rational fear we should legislate against.
Who the fuck said anything about legislating? I said they make people uncomfortable. Being uncomfortable at the sight of an unknown element carrying an actual, honest to fuck weapon is a lot more rational than being nervous around Muslims. Because it's not as if there's never been public attacks carried out by people wielding weapons before.
Unless you can show instances of open carry people committing gun crimes or in any other way committing gun violence on purpose or on accident in a non trivial number of occurances all you are doing is demonstrating how irrational fear of open carry is.
If I see someone I don't know who's not a cop or a soldier with an AR-15 slung over his shoulder it's not rational for me to be concerned? Where the fuck do you live that that sort of thing is an every-day occurrence? A hand-gun on the hip? Okay, sure. A little weird given I live in the northeast, but I wouldn't see a huge problem with it. An AR-15 though? How do I know they're not planning on opening up on everyone in the restaurant or sticking up the tellers? Maybe they want to have their own little Valentine's Day Massacre? Maybe they just got done holding up the bank next door? idk, but walking around just about anywhere in a city with rifles slung across your chest is fucking weird if you're not a soldier or a cop.
Weren't you supposed to be showing a rational reason to be intimidated? So far lightning strikes and bear attacks are trumping you. Better not take your umbrella out in or menstrate in public! FEAR!!!
If that's what you think I was driving at you need some reading comprehension skills.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

"This isn't the safest Chili's anymore"
OMFG, if I can't carry my dick-extender, I'm in danger for my life!!!!!! That sentence sums up these pathetic man-children perfectly: They are cowards.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Broomstick wrote:
You are certainly right, and I agree with you on it would be good to have the option to own a weapon. However, I would support regulations more akin to a driving license (a UK or European one, since I know your opinion of US driving tests), that you must demonstrate that you can handle and keep the guns safely.
Indeed. I have no problem with the notion of needing such a license for weapons. I don't think a citizen should be arbitrarily denied the right to bear arms, but it is reasonable that one must prove a certain competence in order to exercise that right.
Hence, being trained to not keep the damn thing loaded when you aren't using it.
When I was in high school one of my classmates was left quadriplegic due to an accident while gun cleaning. She was in the lower floor of the house. The gun being cleaned was in the far upper corner of the house, on another floor. The trained, responsible gun owner had unloaded the gun prior to starting to clean it. He swore, he was positive that he had completely unloaded it. But he was mistaken. There was one bullet left, and it fired. It went through the floor, several walls, and into his sister's neck.

I don't care how trained or responsible a human being you are. You can make a mistake. That's why you always have to treat an unloaded gun as if it is loaded. Guns are fucking dangerous. You have to treat them with the respect due to something dangerous. They aren't fashion statements or accessories. They're weapons.
Metahive wrote:Why would someone openly carry a weapon into a public place in the first place?
Eternal_Freedom wrote:Yeah I really can't see why it is necessary. I suppose that's my British attitude to gun control showing, where it's a privilege not a right.
Naw, it's good sense. I'm an American in favor of gun rights and I can't see it as necessary, either.
Chimaera wrote:Speaking as a brit, if I saw any kind of weapon being paraded around at my workplace, I would immediately become nervous. I'm sure it's slightly different in the US due to culture, history, etc, but any object engineered specifically to kill and destroy things being openly carried around makes me uneasy, for some reason.
I don't have a problem with uniformed police or security personnel carrying a weapon like a handgun because that's a normal tool for them in this country. Cops and security carrying long guns, though – that makes me very concerned because that's not normal, that means some serious shit is either going down or anticipated. National guardsmen might carry such a weapon, but again, seeing them openly carry is not normal and says something serious is up.
If I see someone I don't know who's not a cop or a soldier with an AR-15 slung over his shoulder it's not rational for me to be concerned? Where the fuck do you live that that sort of thing is an every-day occurrence?
Places I wouldn't be concerned seeing an AR-15 in public:

1) gun shop (duh)
2) shooting range
3) group of hunters during the appropriate season(s) in an appropriate context

Outside of that, yeah, open carry of an AR-15/AK-47 or the like is weird at best.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Broomstick wrote: I don't care how trained or responsible a human being you are. You can make a mistake. That's why you always have to treat an unloaded gun as if it is loaded. Guns are fucking dangerous. You have to treat them with the respect due to something dangerous. They aren't fashion statements or accessories. They're weapons.
I absolutely agree. Hell, whenever I'm letting a friend use my airguns, "always treat it as if it's loaded" is rule number 2, right after "don't aim at anything you aren't willing to kill."