Cities at War - A New Game Idea

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Cities at War - A New Game Idea

Post by Axis Kast »

I've got a new proposal. Call it a bit of a simulation for all you tactical or strategy junkies out there. Considering the large number of you into either politics or military history, this should go over rather well.

A few months ago I came up with a new idea. Why not hold a simulation in which three or four commanders battle over objectives within a small urban quarter? Each participant will be placed in direct control of the city’s resources, including police, firefighters, medical technicians, emergency services personnel (ie, SWAT teams), and in more controlled cases, local National Guard. Every quarter will posses one or more annexes, station houses, and hospitals. Certain territories will host arsenals, airports, barracks, or construction yards from whence items can be taken and deployed.

The game would begin with purchases and deployment. Players would be obliged to supplement a universal platform of personnel and material by laying down points in return for new equipment. Therefore, while his (and every other) quarter might begin with eight police cruisers, two pumper trucks, and four ambulances, Player One might chose to add a collapse unit (to rescue fallen combatants), a crash squad (to clear wreckage from roads or tarmacs), four armored personnel carriers, a SWAT van, and one armored police car. He could also buy new personnel (including soldiers) or heavier weapons (squad-automatic weapons, man-portable anti-tank missiles, or recoilless rifles). Each of these assets would then be deployed. A roadblock on this street and roving orders for service units such as the fire-engines. An insertion plan for the personnel carriers in which police cars and cops run interference. A SWAT team intended to repulse enemy thrusts through the park. The options go on.

After writing up initial battle plans (and submitting them by e-mail), the situation would be continually updated by a pair of battle moderators. They would confer, make the necessary determinations, and then offer casualty reports. After two or three rounds, each side would gain the option of reinforcement or refit. After this “half time,” the game would continue until one or more sides achieved their objectives. After a certain number of rounds, the game would end and a winner be declared.

So – what kind of interest do we have? If people like this idea, I’ll need some maps – if somebody has SimCity, I’m sure they could provide screen-shots of a good map); a few volunteers (with explicit knowledge of weapons and tactics) for the Mod positions; and some players.

Okay … That’s it. I'll begin the rules if we get enough support.
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

I can donate some pics of urban areas from Sim City 3000.
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

Can you say Counter Strike Mod? :)
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

Great. I appreciate it.

Does it come with a City Building, btw? We could really use an editor so that actual landmarks - and support sites (police stations, fire stations) are accurately mapped. That would be the best help.

Also - are you interested in participating, or only providing the pictures?
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

I'd be interested in something like this. I could provide SimCity 3k maps as well.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

Great.

Anyone else?
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

If this is still going on when I get back on campus next semester, I'll play. I've only got about another month before I'll be going on a 3 month hiatus, though, so it wouldn't be good for me to get involved right now (particularly when I'm writing two term papers).
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

Okay. So we've now got maps.

Who's playing again - just to be sure?
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

To be realistic, civilians could have weapons and fire at you too, but you can't shoot back unless you positively identify the threat. The damage being that if you kill too many civilians, you're forced from the game due to bad public support and lose.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

Yes. All neighborhoods will have gun-toting civilians.

The problems with deploying them heavily are however significant. On the one hand, they could tie down many of your emergency services. On the other, while cheap (you can buy more with points), they are ill-trained, ill-equipped (usually), and unwilling to fight for the most part.

I don't see killing civilians as being problematic - it's an unusual situation -, but if we get into ranked play and go on conquests, it could be an issue.

Are you playing, btw?
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Axis Kast wrote:Yes. All neighborhoods will have gun-toting civilians.

The problems with deploying them heavily are however significant. On the one hand, they could tie down many of your emergency services. On the other, while cheap (you can buy more with points), they are ill-trained, ill-equipped (usually), and unwilling to fight for the most part.

I don't see killing civilians as being problematic - it's an unusual situation -, but if we get into ranked play and go on conquests, it could be an issue.

Are you playing, btw?
Don't think I'll have time to play something like that, but as an actual Army officer, I can give you some advice. Civilians on the Battlefield (COB)'s are quite real and can be either an asset or a danger for force protection. The actions of the players toward civilians, via Civil Affairs (CA) and psyops teams could be key in gaining support of the population. In turn, COB's could provide you with key information on the enemy, providing invaluable intelligence and and extra set of eyes on the battlefield. Moreover, bringing the population over to the players side could increase support for the war at home, thus increasing funding and availability of more forces and equipment.

On the other hand, if that portion of the battle sours, and the COB's oppose the player, they provide intelligence on you to the enemy and may even carry out guerrila warfare against said player. Furthermore, that PR disaster could erode public support for the war and even cause the recall of the players forces, thus ending his play in a loss.

Those are my thoughts. Run with it.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

i wann play!
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

All right.

I need five or more people to really make this worthwhile.

That's four players and another Mod.
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

I don't think I would have the time to play, either, but, I could help with being a technical advisor if needed.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I can participate as an advisor, too, since unlikely I will have time to play. Great idea, Axis Kast.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali