Feds to provide benefits to same sex couples

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Feds to provide benefits to same sex couples

Post by FaxModem1 »

CNN
Feds to provide legal benefits, services to all in same-sex marriages
By Evan Perez, CNN
updated 9:58 PM EST, Sat February 8, 2014
Utah state Sen. Jim Dabakis, left, and Stephen Justesen acknowledge the crowd after being married in Salt Lake City on Friday, December 20. A federal judge struck down Utah's ban on same-sex marriage, saying it conflicted with the constitutional guarantees of equal protection and due process. Many Utah counties began issuing marriage licenses before the state appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court. The high court temporarily blocked enforcement of the lower court ruling until the constitutional questions are fully resolved. Utah state Sen. Jim Dabakis, left, and Stephen Justesen acknowledge the crowd after being married in Salt Lake City on Friday, December 20. A federal judge struck down Utah's ban on same-sex marriage, saying it conflicted with the constitutional guarantees of equal protection and due process. Many Utah counties began issuing marriage licenses before the state appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court. The high court temporarily blocked enforcement of the lower court ruling until the constitutional questions are fully resolved.
HIDE CAPTION
Same-sex marriage in U.S.
<<
<
>
>>
STORY HIGHLIGHTS

NEW: Anti-same-sex marriage leader rips move as latest effort "to undermine" states' sovereignty
Feds will recognize same-sex marriage even in 34 states that don't allow it
Holder will announce the initiative tonight at a gay rights group's gala
Same-sex couples will have rights in U.S. bankruptcies, courts, prison visits

(CNN) -- The U.S. government will recognize same-sex marriages as equal to traditional marriages in all federal legal matters, including bankruptcies, prison visits and survivor benefits, Attorney General Eric Holder announced Saturday.

The expansion of such federal recognition will include 34 states where same-sex marriage isn't legal, but the new federal benefits being extended to those states will apply only where the U.S. government has jurisdiction, Holder said.

For example, a same-sex couple legally married in Massachusetts can now have their federal bankruptcy proceeding recognized in Alabama, even though it doesn't allow same-sex marriages. In the past, the U.S. government could challenge the couple's joint bankruptcy because Alabama doesn't recognize same-sex marriage.

Holder's announcement was revealed in an advance copy of a Saturday night speech at the Human Rights Campaign's New York City gala. At its blog, the advocacy group cheered what it called a "landmark announcement" that it "will change the lives of countless committed gay and lesbian couples for the better."

But Brian Brown, president of the National Organization for Marriage, criticized what he called the latest move by President Barack Obama's administration "to undermine the authority and sovereignty of the states to make their own determinations regulating the institution of marriage."

"The American public needs to realize how egregious and how dangerous these usurpations are and how far-reaching the implications can be," Brown said in a statement. "The changes being proposed here to a process as universally relevant as the criminal justice system serve as a potent reminder of why it is simply a lie to say that redefining marriage doesn't affect everyone in society."

In his speech, Holder announced the Justice Department will issue a memo Monday that recognizes same-sex marriages "to the greatest extent possible under the law."

The move affects how millions of Americans interact with their federal government, including bankruptcy cases, prison visitation rights, survivor benefits for police officers and firefighters killed on the job, and the legal right to refuse to testify to incriminate a spouse.

Holder compared his work for the gay rights cause to the 1960s civil rights struggle and then- Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy's support for equality.

"This means that, in every courthouse, in every proceeding, and in every place where a member of the Department of Justice stands on behalf of the United States -- they will strive to ensure that same-sex marriages receive the same privileges, protections and rights as opposite-sex marriages under federal law," Holder said of his initiative.

Under the new policy, the Justice Department will recognize that same-sex spouses of individuals involved in civil and criminal cases should have the same legal rights as all other married couples -- including the right to decline to give testimony that might incriminate their spouses.

Also, the government won't contest same-sex married couples their rights in states where previously prosecutors could argue that the marriage is not recognized in the state where the couple lives, Holder said.

Couples in same-sex marriages will be allowed to file for bankruptcy as a couple. This ensures alimony and domestic support debts aren't discharged in bankruptcy cases. Federal inmates with same-sex spouses will now have full visitation, compassionate release and other benefits.

The Justice Department's policy change will extend benefits to same-sex couples who benefit from federal programs such as the Sept. 11 Victim Compensation Fund, Radiation Exposure Compensation program and to the families of police officers and firefighters who receive benefits from the Public Safety Officers' Benefits Program.

"Just like during the civil rights movement of the 1960s, the stakes involved in this generation's struggle for LGBT equality could not be higher," Holder said. "As attorney general, I will not let this Department be simply a bystander during this important moment in history."

CNN's Michael Martinez and Greg Botelho contributed to this report.
Well, this is huge.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: Feds to provide benefits to same sex couples

Post by Borgholio »

Anti-same-sex marriage leader rips move as latest effort "to undermine" states' sovereignty
My favorite part. The Feds are not forcing the states to recognize gay marriage....they're just saying they'll recognize it even if the states don't. I love the hysteria here.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Good.
Also, another example of Fed trumps State.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Borgholio wrote:
Anti-same-sex marriage leader rips move as latest effort "to undermine" states' sovereignty
My favorite part. The Feds are not forcing the states to recognize gay marriage....they're just saying they'll recognize it even if the states don't. I love the hysteria here.
For real. What is it saying functionally? Every state has its own benefits, but there are still federal benefits right? The federal government is just going "Married is married for federal benefits. Period."
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Zwinmar wrote:Good.
Also, another example of Fed trumps State.
No it's not. It's just expanding upon the SCOTUS ruling stating that the federal government must recognize same sex marriages in states where such unions are legal.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

I love how all the bible beating theocratic neanderthal throwbacks start screeching about states rights every time equality is brought up. "States Rights" was already hashed out in 1865. Those fucking retards are welcome to try it again.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

What I'm saying is that if the fed recognizes then its only a very short step to the justice of the peace being unable to deny marriage. Since marriage is a legal and contractual concept it shouldn't be too long for it.
UnderAGreySky
Jedi Knight

Post by UnderAGreySky »

Highlord Laan wrote:I love how all the bible beating theocratic neanderthal throwbacks start screeching about states rights every time equality is brought up. "States Rights" was already hashed out in 1865. Those fucking retards are welcome to try it again.
Considering the opposition to the Civil Rights Act not just in 1964 but to date, I wouldn't call it "hashed out" by any means.
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Gaidin wrote:For real. What is it saying functionally? Every state has its own benefits, but there are still federal benefits right? The federal government is just going "Married is married for federal benefits. Period."
Correct. This applies to Federal benefits, not to benefits that are purely state benefits.

This does mean some couples can file their Federal taxes jointly but will still have to file their State taxes separately... but that's always been an option anyway even if few ever did it that way.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice