World LGBT tolerance map

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Thanas
Magister
Magister

World LGBT tolerance map

Post by Thanas »

Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Re: World LGBT tolerance map

Post by Phantasee »

Why is the scale so uneven? Why not 15-30-45-60-75-90?
XXXI
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Odd that those surveyed, the Western map is mostly tolerant, while the eastern half is mostly intolerant. What's the cultural root of this?
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

The grey is "unknown" really. The Netherlands really should be dark blue while bet most of Africa would be pink or red.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

FaxModem1 wrote:Odd that those surveyed, the Western map is mostly tolerant, while the eastern half is mostly intolerant. What's the cultural root of this?
Christianity* and Islam accounts for one part.

Traditional gender roles in confucian society accounts for the other part.

*Yes, Christianity. This should be no surprise since that drives western anti-homosexuality movements as well. Malaysia's anti sodomy laws are secular British-style laws. Britain itself might have moved on, but its former asian/african colonies not so much.

And please don't tell me Islam is not a culture ;)
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

This could be a geography fail on my part, but I'm surprised that the heavily-Catholic Philippines are more tolerant than Japan, and that the only countries to score 85%+ are Span and Germany, not the first countries you would have suspected of tolerance 50 years ago.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I guess it really depends on the understanding that people put into "accepting homosexuality". The question itself is general enough that people can imagine anything. And believe me the way religious folk describe gays, some may be imagining a gay-led 1984 state when being asked this, since that's what the propaganda tells them would happen if they let gays be. Or marry.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Arthur_Tuxedo wrote:that the only countries to score 85%+ are Span and Germany, not the first countries you would have suspected of tolerance 50 years ago.
Turns out when society puts an effort into getting rid of certain groups of people it changes?
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

How Merkelian of you Thanas. :V

I think this has less to do with ostricization and more to do with education and the kinds of values your society prioritizes.
Best care anywhere.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

CaptHawkeye wrote:How Merkelian of you Thanas. :V

I think this has less to do with ostricization and more to do with education and the kinds of values your society prioritizes.

Which is extensionally equivalent to "putting an effort into getting rid of certain groups of people"(By which we mean Nazis). Germany is awesome that way.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

CaptHawkeye wrote:How Merkelian of you Thanas. :V

Which is precisely what is meant with getting rid of certain kinds of people (see Nazis, racists and bigots). If it is uncool to be a raging conservative or fascist, you then get less of them.
------------
------------
My LPs
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Thanas wrote:
Arthur_Tuxedo wrote:that the only countries to score 85%+ are Span and Germany, not the first countries you would have suspected of tolerance 50 years ago.
Turns out when society puts an effort into getting rid of certain groups of people it changes?
Except not really...

http://www.spiegel.de/international/ger ... 51972.html

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

fgalkin wrote:
Thanas wrote:
Except not really...

http://www.spiegel.de/international/ger ... 51972.html
A country is not uniform and disadvantaged regions might breed radicalism in isolated cases. None of that changes the general perception of an issue like LGBT tolerance.
------------
------------
My LPs
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Tolerance and acceptance are not binary states where either everybody is or nobody is. The Netherlands is accepting of homosexuality, but if you spend a few minutes searching for it I'm sure you'd be able to come up with a half dozen or more incidents of homosexuals being harassed and/or ostracized by bigots. Just because the majority of society accepts something doesn't mean everybody does; 85%+ acceptance is a good start but it still leaves plenty room for a vocal minority.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Non-acceptance isn't a monolithic "hate gay" minority or majority either, there are huge differences between, say, Central African "non-acceptance" and the same in East Asia, like China and S. Korea. I'm positively sure that "non-accepting" Koreans pose a far smaller threat to homosexuals than non-accepting people from the Middle East.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
AMX
Jedi Knight

Post by AMX »

Phantasee wrote:Why is the scale so uneven? Why not 15-30-45-60-75-90?
Because that would be even worse.
Note that the scale is symmetric - all segments are the same size, except the one in the middle.
Your proposal still has one small segment, but it's at the end, making the scale both uneven and asymmetric.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The impact of this map is reduced by all the gray countries.
Phantasee wrote:Why is the scale so uneven? Why not 15-30-45-60-75-90?
It is even- it's symmetric about 50%. Suppose that in Boravia 70% of the population accept gays, and in Moronia 70% of the population reject gays. Boravia should appear just as 'blue' as Moronia appears 'red,' not more blue or less blue. And that's the way this graph works.
Arthur_Tuxedo wrote:This could be a geography fail on my part, but I'm surprised that the heavily-Catholic Philippines are more tolerant than Japan...
Japan is extremely conservative about social roles, and has very rigid expectations about how people live their lives. This happens to the point that they now have a serious problem because women aren't getting married because if they do, society will pressure them to basically become domestic slaves to their husbands. If they don't want that they stay single... which seems to tie into Japan's low birth rate.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

FaxModem1 wrote:Odd that those surveyed, the Western map is mostly tolerant, while the eastern half is mostly intolerant. What's the cultural root of this?
I wonder what were the methods or sources used on them. Barely third countries in EU covered, not to mention rest of the world. Especially seeing in countries I have personal experience with the answer will wary hugely depending on how the question is phrased.

But to answer your question, in the old Warsaw Pact countries sources are multiple, but can be summed as Communist parties being at best gay neutral (to outright prosecuting in the more backward ones, though not as much as regimes they replaced did) while their opponents, usually centred around churches fuelled by West money "for democratic opposition" (it would be funny if it wasn't so sad...) developed into far right hating every leftist idea while walking on religious leash.

Mild, social-liberal left wing of the political scene that would be most gay friendly was rabidly fought by both of the above forces, leaving them very weak before 1989 and having to do the work their equivalents in the West were doing since 1950 in last 25 years, in societies frozen by de facto cold civil wars almost as they were in 1940s, at best.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

What I find encouraging here is that the most tolerant nations in the Americas are Canada and Argentina. Canada is a given, but Argentina was a fascist dictatorship not so long ago and has undergone enormous economic stress. The fact that they did not go "HATE HATE HATE" is very encouraging.
------------
------------
My LPs
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

And I suspect if the US section were divided into states you'd see some red, some blue, and lots of inbetween. But it cheers me to think we're trending towards acceptance.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Japan might be redder than the Philippines because it is an older population. Age demographics might explain some of the other surprises.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Weird how they didn't included certain parts of Italy
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

wautd wrote:Weird how they didn't included certain parts of Italy
Those circles represent the Vactican and San Marino.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

Its completely missing scandinavia which should be blue and eastern europe which should be red.

Compare with these maps:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_right ... _territory
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Stas Bush wrote:Non-acceptance isn't a monolithic "hate gay" minority or majority either, there are huge differences between, say, Central African "non-acceptance" and the same in East Asia, like China and S. Korea. I'm positively sure that "non-accepting" Koreans pose a far smaller threat to homosexuals than non-accepting people from the Middle East.
I agree. For example, this Eastern European "non-acceptance" would look like complete pipe dream in actual non-accepting African or Asian country. This map is basically worthless, IMHO.