US Marines using Universal Translators

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

US Marines using Universal Translators

Post by Stravo »

US Marines in Iraq are using a device known as a phrase-a-lator to communicate with Iraqi POWs. I just heard a demonstration on the radio where a Marine typed in a phrase in English and the machine says it in Arabic. "Are you wounded?" and the machine spits it out. The Iraqi responds. It is too cool BUT at the same time is it a good idea to have POWs in a makeshift area of detainment without a SINGLE translator. I mean shouldn't we have some Kuwaitis with us as translators?
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Unnecessary, at low levels a translator is just a burden unless they have been part of the unit for some time and will also be fighting.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

*waits for the invitable loss of life because of a misunderstanding between the Marines and the POWs due to a translator fuck-up*

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

fgalkin wrote:*waits for the invitable loss of life because of a misunderstanding between the Marines and the POWs due to a translator fuck-up*

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Yeah i imagine the fuck-up he`ll type we`re here to help and the translator may say in arabic screw you asshole :shock:
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

fgalkin wrote:*waits for the invitable loss of life because of a misunderstanding between the Marines and the POWs due to a translator fuck-up*
I seriously doubt there using these until after the prisoners are secured.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
I seriously doubt there using these until after the prisoners are secured.
I didn't mean the prisoners attacking the Marines. I mean the Marines shooting the Iraqis because the translator interpreted whatever they say as a threat.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

fgalkin wrote: I didn't mean the prisoners attacking the Marines. I mean the Marines shooting the Iraqis because the translator interpreted whatever they say as a threat.
Once again, I doubt there using these until the prisoners are secured. Marines are not going to kill prisoners who are disarmed and covered by guards because they make a threat. :roll:
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
fgalkin wrote: I didn't mean the prisoners attacking the Marines. I mean the Marines shooting the Iraqis because the translator interpreted whatever they say as a threat.
Once again, I doubt there using these until the prisoners are secured. Marines are not going to kill prisoners who are disarmed and covered by guards because they make a threat. :roll:
Alright, maybe they won't kill them. However, when a prisoner asks for food, and the translator interpretes it as "die, infidel scum", there's bound to be violence.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
EmperorChrostas the Cruel
Rabid Monkey

Post by EmperorChrostas the Cruel »

"I will not by this record, it is scratched!"
"My hovercraft is full of eels."
"Drop your panties, sir William, I can wait no longer!"
Hmmmmmm.

"It is happening now, It has happened before, It will surely happen again."
Oldest member of SD.net, not most mature.
Brotherhood of the Monkey
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Unnecessary, at low levels a translator is just a burden unless they have been part of the unit for some time and will also be fighting.
::Waits for the inevitable Windtalker reference::
Proud owner of The Fleshlight
G.A.L.E. Force - Bisexual Airborn Division
SDnet Resident Psycho Clown

"I hear and behold God in every object, yet I understand God not in the least, / Nor do I understand who there can be more wonderful than myself."
--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Queeb Salaron wrote:
Sea Skimmer wrote:Unnecessary, at low levels a translator is just a burden unless they have been part of the unit for some time and will also be fighting.
::Waits for the inevitable Windtalker reference::
Not really the same... The Navajo Marines were there to provide, in essence, comm encryption. A translator's only really needed to talk to POWs, which there isn't that much point in the forward fighting area beyond some of the more simple things (like when US troops would say "surrender" or something in Japanese/German in WWII). A commo guy, on the other hand, who can call in fire support such that the enemy doesn't know it's coming and can't fake it, would be quite valuable to a forward fighting unit I'm sure.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight