General North Korea thread

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: General North Korea thread

Post by Thanas »

Let us hope his liquor budget of several hundred thousands dollars a month was put to good use by him and that the many pieces of french cheese he ordered with them have the desired effect on his heart.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Thanas wrote:Let us hope his liquor budget of several hundred thousands dollars a month was put to good use by him and that the many pieces of french cheese he ordered with them have the desired effect on his heart.
He will quest to the unicorn shrine to be cleansed of the imperial-capitalistic disease.
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

South Korea newspaper claims Kim fractured both ankles
Ankle bones ARE only capable of supporting so much weight...
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Maybe he got a little overzealous while jumping up and down on a particularly springy prole.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

People, his ankles carry the weight of a nation.
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Starting to wonder if the problem with Kim Jong Un's ankles are that they are wearing cement shoes as he takes a stroll across the bottom of Sea of Japan...
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Yeah he didn't show up for the big party today. Something is definitely very wrong.

For clarification, not that I mind if something bad happened to him...but this is quite out of character and only something bad would have prevented him from making an appearance today of all days.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Maybe this fat asshole is simply too lazy to show up for work?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Not a chance.

Frankly, I could see them wheeling him out in a chair if they could get him to sit upright - the Youngling Leader being so exhausted by his unrelenting labor on behalf of the people and all. I have to wonder if he's dead and they're scrambling to get the next God-Emperor set up.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

I've seen a few claims that he has been deposed. These claims, while from actual news agencies, are not necessarily trustworthy, however. I'd dig up a source, but they're basically rumors.

If there has been a coup, things could get really interesting over the course of the next few months. The new boss wouldn't necessarily be any better than the old boss. Only time will tell what's going on here.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Broomstick wrote:I have to wonder if he's dead and they're scrambling to get the next God-Emperor set up.
Always a possibility in a place like North Korea, although remember there was only a few days delay before both Great Leader and Supreme Leader had their successors announced. Maybe they honestly believe no-one will notice...? Image
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:I've seen a few claims that he has been deposed. These claims, while from actual news agencies, are not necessarily trustworthy, however. I'd dig up a source, but they're basically rumors.

If there has been a coup, things could get really interesting over the course of the next few months. The new boss wouldn't necessarily be any better than the old boss. Only time will tell what's going on here.
Depose Kim Jung Un!? Please no - he's the leaderest leader of them all. I for one, demand to know what Dennis Rodman has to say about this.

If anyone should be deposed it should be Kim's PR department. Why isn't he sporting those awesome shades like his father?
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:I've seen a few claims that he has been deposed. These claims, while from actual news agencies, are not necessarily trustworthy, however. I'd dig up a source, but they're basically rumors.
Yeah, I've been reading NK coup rumour posts since KJU appeared in the top spot.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I think Lil Kim is simply sick. Maybe sick because he was poisoned, it is the Game of Thrones after all. Sometimes the obvious explanation is the correct one.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Well, sadly, Kim is still alive and kicking...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-29608096
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Wonder what the illness is that is affecting him?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Insufficiently lethal apparently.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Prannon
Jedi Knight

Post by Prannon »

Speculation is gout or some sort of hip issue. And he's at about that age where his body will start to fail him in those ever so little ways. Given that he's quite obviously overweight, I wouldn't be surprised that it was something quite minuscule that has been blown out of all proportion.

Given what I understand about his father (which is admittedly not much), he's probably taken the spoiled-brat route where he just doesn't feel good and is going to lay up in bed or at home for as long as he wants until he either comes out on his own or is pressured out by his press bureau, because "goddamn they're having a field day out there and they think you're dead or deposed."
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

I would think that it would be pretty dangerous to appear sick like this for too long - it's like asking to get deposed by some ambitious conspirators.

But then I'm not really privy to the goings-on behind the scenes in Pyongyang.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

The Sacred Kim Bloodline is really the only justification for rule left on NK's throne. Any non-Kim Dynasty member who wanted to rule but wouldn't go for a complete revolution would have to keep one of those fatsoe's around for legitimacy.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

There was an article some time ago ... I think on CNN... by a Korean defector who claimed that Un is merely a figurehead. In fact, he claimed that this was the reason for the execution of his uncle - a man who had mentored the young Kim in his early days, and represented his support in the old regime. Getting rid of him effectively isolated Kim politically. 'Course, it's unsubstantiated.
dragon
Sith Marauder

North and south Korea exchange fire again

Post by dragon »

(CNN)In an escalation of the tense situation in the region, North and South Korea exchanged fire over their heavily fortified border on Thursday, the South Korean Defense Ministry said.

South Korea detected a projectile, assumed to be a small rocket, that was fired toward the western province of Gyeonggi, a South Korean Defense Ministry official told CNN.

The South Korean military responded by firing a few dozen shells at the area from which the North Korean projectile was fired, the official said.

Tensions have spiked on the Korean Peninsula in recent weeks after two South Korean soldiers were seriously wounded by landmines in the demilitarized zone.

South Korea has accused the North of planting the mines, an allegation Pyongyang denies.

Seoul vowed a "harsh" response to the land mines and resumed blaring propaganda messages over the border from huge sets of loudspeakers.

The move infuriated North Korea, which called the broadcasting "a direct action of declaring a war." It threatened over the weekend to blow up the South Korean speakers and also warned of "indiscriminate strikes."
Kim Jong Un and North Korea's military
55 photos: Kim Jong Un and North Korea's military

North Korea pumped its own propaganda broadcasts over the border on Monday, the same day South Korea started military exercises with the United States and other countries. Pyongyang says it views the drills as a prelude to an invasion.

The two sides have exchanged fire in the past at sensitive points. In November 2010, North Korea shelled an island near the countries disputed maritime border, killing two South Korean marines.

They also traded fire in October 2014. A clash took place between patrol boats in the Yellow Sea, and then another flared days later over land after North Korean gunners apparently targeted balloons carrying leaflets critical of the country's reclusive regime.
link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: North and south Korea exchange fire again

Post by Elheru Aran »

Any reason this didn't go in the North Korea sticky? This happens fairly often...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Re: North and south Korea exchange fire again

Post by dragon »

Elheru Aran wrote:Any reason this didn't go in the North Korea sticky? This happens fairly often...
um because I forgot :oops:
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes