General North Korea thread

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: General North Korea thread

Post by Borgholio »

And when have they not been on a "war footing" for the past half century? [/sarcasm]
Yeah, we apparently declare war on them every few months and they promise vicious retaliation each and every time. Still waiting.

Truth be told, the day that NK actually has a reasonable response to something is the day I start to worry.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Borgholio wrote:
And when have they not been on a "war footing" for the past half century? [/sarcasm]
Yeah, we apparently declare war on them every few months and they promise vicious retaliation each and every time. Still waiting.

Truth be told, the day that NK actually has a reasonable response to something is the day I start to worry.
It wouldn't be NK if they weren't throwing their toys out of the pram every now and then.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

There are reports that North Korea has now banned sarcasm, of all things, including the phrase "this is all America's fault". So far reported in the Independent, Telegraph, and Fox News.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

So the North Korean leaders have basically banned their favorite means of expression. This could get interesting.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

And it looks like NK has detonated another nuke. This appears to be the biggest one they've done yet and is close to the yield of the Hiroshima bomb.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/08/asia/nort ... -activity/
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Borgholio wrote:And it looks like NK has detonated another nuke. This appears to be the biggest one they've done yet and is close to the yield of the Hiroshima bomb.
Prediction: Pretty soon, China quietly gets out of the way while Japan, South Korea, and America Fuck Yeah take care of business. We might even tag-team the Russians on this one, though I'd call it a 50/50 chance that they just think it's funny. I'm not wearing a watch, but it's getting to be about that time.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

What do you do about the artillery just north of the DMZ, though? My understanding is that NK could devastate the communities on the southern side in the event of an invasion (or other hostile acts).
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

SCRawl wrote:What do you do about the artillery just north of the DMZ, though? My understanding is that NK could devastate the communities on the southern side in the event of an invasion (or other hostile acts).
Last I heard, you park about 20,000 Marines there for training purposes and just kind of shrug your shoulders about what happens after that.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

SCRawl wrote:What do you do about the artillery just north of the DMZ, though? My understanding is that NK could devastate the communities on the southern side in the event of an invasion (or other hostile acts).
We're getting to a point where we either risk a massive artillery barrage on South Korea or an honest-to-god nuke dropping somewhere else. I don't really have a good answer for that dilemma.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Not that the North Koreans couldn't do a decent amount of damage simply through quantity, but IIRC isn't NK's artillery a much bigger threat on paper than in reality? Even besides the fact that their equipment is old, I feel like there is a decent amount of evidence (blanking on where I read it; will provide source if I find it) floating around out there that a lot of it would be operationally non-functional due to lack of maintenance/supplies/ammunition/etc.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Broomstick wrote:We're getting to a point where we either risk a massive artillery barrage on South Korea or an honest-to-god nuke dropping somewhere else. I don't really have a good answer for that dilemma.
I think that the optimal time to act may have passed. Realistically the regime should have been removed a long time ago, even if it meant significant concessions to China. Now we rapidly approach a situation where every answer, including let things stay as they are, are losing propositions.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Yeah, this is going to be a total clusterfuck, sooner or later. I hope we manage to evacuate Seoul first.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:Not that the North Koreans couldn't do a decent amount of damage simply through quantity, but IIRC isn't NK's artillery a much bigger threat on paper than in reality? Even besides the fact that their equipment is old, I feel like there is a decent amount of evidence (blanking on where I read it; will provide source if I find it) floating around out there that a lot of it would be operationally non-functional due to lack of maintenance/supplies/ammunition/etc.
It doesn't need all of it to function to still cause a fuck-ton of damage.
Raw Shark wrote:Yeah, this is going to be a total clusterfuck, sooner or later. I hope we manage to evacuate Seoul first.
I don't see how we could evacuate even half of that city. Even if we could get, oh, let's say 90% out of the city you'd be left with millions of refugees and wrecked South Korean economy.

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

I'm just really, really hoping The Fat One and co's sense of self-preservation continues to outwiegh their fuck-nuttery.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Chimaera wrote:I'm just really, really hoping The Fat One and co's sense of self-preservation continues to outwiegh their fuck-nuttery.
I wouldn't count on it, given how delusional their behaviour has always been.

As for Seoul, NK has it by the balls. Any evac will trigger an artillery barrage, unless SK has some way to do it under complete secrecy. Artillery shelters (if they exist) may protect the population, but it still leaves infrastructure hopelessly exposed. Unless tactical lasers have come a long, long way there's no way to shoot down even a fraction of the total number of incoming shells.

Unless NK's guns are clustered really, really close together there's no way for any strike to take them all out at once- unless SK has their own guns trained on the NK's positions.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

I'd rather nobody attack anybody, but I kind of wish I could cast Summon Sea Skimmer and get an opinion on how likely the West's ability to neutralize the NK artillery in a first (non-nuclear) strike is. I was under the impression that they might not have the ability to even detect some of the stuff we could throw at them, let alone retaliate.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The several problems with a pre-emptive action on NK artillery, leaving aside any nuke option that may or may not be available, include that we may not know all of the locations of the artillery, given the Norks bury a lot of stuff and are continually putting in new tunnels and installations even as old ones are being found; and it's unlikely we'd get every installation and even a few getting successful shots off will make a horrible mess of Seoul. At what point do you take an action, which MIGHT prevent some horrific death toll or war, at the near-certain cost of thousands (or tens of thousands) of lives?

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Yeah, they've had over half a century to prepare for this shit. If we actually have to do it, it'll be like a knife fight: nobody really wins.

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Raw Shark wrote:Yeah, they've had over half a century to prepare for this shit. If we actually have to do it, it'll be like a knife fight: nobody really wins.
But, hopefully, both fighters are still mostly alive at the end of the fight, or the better one's still standing, anyway. The question being whether he keels over from blood loss within the next few days or not... whatever happens whenever it happens between the two Koreas, it's going to be a mess, barring something like a complete collapse of the Nork governing clique, a coup by the military who then immediately turn things over to China or South Korea, something like that.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Elheru Aran wrote:
Raw Shark wrote:Yeah, they've had over half a century to prepare for this shit. If we actually have to do it, it'll be like a knife fight: nobody really wins.
But, hopefully, both fighters are still mostly alive at the end of the fight, or the better one's still standing, anyway. The question being whether he keels over from blood loss within the next few days or not... whatever happens whenever it happens between the two Koreas, it's going to be a mess, barring something like a complete collapse of the Nork governing clique, a coup by the military who then immediately turn things over to China or South Korea, something like that.
I get the impression that China would be better prepared to accept that kind of burden, as long as they install someone who isn't batshit crazy.

Of course, from a Western POV, SK would be the better choice to drag the norks into the 21st century. Whether SK would be prepared to accept this by themselves is questionable- does NK have any natural resources worth exploiting? I can imagine that if the West does end up in control it may fall to a coalition of SK and Japan- how that might work out in the long run is anybody's guess.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Sooner the sun shall set in the East than South Korea or China work together with Japan (and much less Abe Japan) on a possible occupation of another part of Korea.

That... is pretty much a sure thing, and a "coalition of Japan and South Korea" can only exist in the minds of the unaware.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Hence why I added the part about how that might work out. And coalitions in general have a pretty poor record in regards to what to do with a country after taking it over if recent examples are any indication :?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:Of course, from a Western POV, SK would be the better choice to drag the norks into the 21st century. Whether SK would be prepared to accept this by themselves is questionable- does NK have any natural resources worth exploiting?
Reunifying Korea will not end as happily and reunifying Germany did, and Germany, for all the good will in the world, still had some bumps in the road on that one.

Of course North Korea has resources. It's about 70 percent forest by land area last I heard. Harvesting might be an issue, as most of the forests are on steep slopes. There are considerable mineral deposits, including some valuable rare earths. They have an educated population with literacy nearly universal and a willingness to work hard instilled from a young age.

Of course, their infrastructure sucks, being at best 1950's and much of it advancing backwards into the 19th Century, but that is fixable if you had sane governance.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Now for some levity

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2016/11/1 ... ong-un-fat
November 16, 2016
North Korea asks China to stop calling Kim Jong-un fat

TBA
North Korea has reportedly made an official request to state officials in China pleading with them to stop referring to Kim Jong-un as fat.

Kim Fatty III is a popular nickname for the North Korean leader in neighbouring China.

Other popular nicknames include Jin Pang Pang (Kim Fat Fatty) and Jin San Fei (Kim Abundant III).

North Korean government officials are terrified the leader will find out about the insults and look for someone to blame, according to Hong Kong's Apple Daily.

It comes as no surprise that North Korean officials fear the wrath of their dictator, with many who have fallen foul of Kim Jong-un finding themselves on the opposite end of a military firing line.

Kim Jong-un is believed to have piled on 38kg in recent years due to his love of Swiss cheese, whiskey and scallops, according to The Sun.

© Nine Digital Pty Ltd 2016
According to some Chinese netizens, a lot of these humourous names are used for world leaders. So Kim getting this treatment is no different. Although they aren't used for official correspondence.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

mr friendly guy wrote:Now for some levity

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2016/11/1 ... ong-un-fat
November 16, 2016
North Korea asks China to stop calling Kim Jong-un fat

TBA
North Korea has reportedly made an official request to state officials in China pleading with them to stop referring to Kim Jong-un as fat.

Kim Fatty III is a popular nickname for the North Korean leader in neighbouring China.

Other popular nicknames include Jin Pang Pang (Kim Fat Fatty) and Jin San Fei (Kim Abundant III).

North Korean government officials are terrified the leader will find out about the insults and look for someone to blame, according to Hong Kong's Apple Daily.

It comes as no surprise that North Korean officials fear the wrath of their dictator, with many who have fallen foul of Kim Jong-un finding themselves on the opposite end of a military firing line.

Kim Jong-un is believed to have piled on 38kg in recent years due to his love of Swiss cheese, whiskey and scallops, according to The Sun.

© Nine Digital Pty Ltd 2016
According to some Chinese netizens, a lot of these humourous names are used for world leaders. So Kim getting this treatment is no different. Although they aren't used for official correspondence.
If he doesn't want people to call him fat he should just lose some weight. Maybe if he didn't eat all the food the rest of the country wouldn't be starving :lol: